Author Topic: If ACoS was on I&W... where would I&W rank all-time?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline XB0BX

If ACoS was on I&W... where would I&W rank all-time?
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »
That would literally be my favorite album in the history of music.

I&W might already be my favorite but if you could somehow add one of my all-time favorite songs at the end.. man

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: If ACoS was on I&W... where would I&W rank all-time?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
I don't think it would really work as an album. A Change Of Seasons is fine where it is.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »
You're question is slightly flawed, as the label wanted a 60 minute album, which is why some tracks that were available to them (To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me) weren't on the album. So even if the label allowed a 20+ minute track on the album, you have to account for the fact that some other songs you love (at least 2), would be left out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
If no other songs were taken out, easily the best Dream Theater album and probably top 5 for me.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »
For me it's already one of the best few albums ever anyway and adding ACOS wouldn't improve that rating and may actually detract a touch.   From my point of view one of the most important things about a good song, album, solo etc.... is to hang around just long enough to keep you wanting some more and not a second longer.

I think the album is perfect as it is ending with LTL - tack on a 20+min epic (which for me isn't as strong as  the material on I&W)  and I'm not sure that's the case any more.

Either way - I&W  :hefdaddy   

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:43:03 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
If it actually kept Don't Look Past Me, To Live Forever and ACoS, it would be my definite favorite, not matching against Awake and DT12. Perhaps it would feel too long, though. I don't really know.

If it only kept ACoS, would it be the first version that they had planned or a longer version (like the one on the ACoS EP) with Moore? If it was the second, it could still get the spot I mentioned.

Also, how good would the ACoS EP be if it had Don't Look Past Me and To Live Forever on it in a nicely sounding recording?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
If ACOS was on IaW, it would drag it down for me. It's not even close to the standard of the rest of the album, especially the earlier version of ACOS at the time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
It still wouldn't be better than Awake... But probably 2nd all time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »
I don't think it would really work as an album. A Change Of Seasons is fine where it is.

This. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
If ACOS was on IaW, it would drag it down for me. It's not even close to the standard of the rest of the album, especially the earlier version of ACOS at the time.
That's how I feel about it, too. I think ACOS would make I&W feel bloated, too, given that it's a 20-something minute track and I&W is a more than reasonable length already.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:20:56 AM »
If ACOS were on I&W, it would be the less appealing version.  No epic intro, weaker lyrics, etc. Just bear that in mind the song improved vastly over that short time.

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:32:16 AM »
If ACOS were on I&W, it would be the less appealing version.  No epic intro, weaker lyrics, etc. Just bear that in mind the song improved vastly over that short time.

This and also I&W is so perfect as is that I would oppose any changes. ACOS would be one of my least favorites if it was on Images, especially the 1991 version.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
I would still prefer SFAM.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 06:38:26 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »

This. 

I agree.  But to play along...

I&W is a very good album, that only suffers due to inconsistency.  Much like Systematic Chaos, it has some of Dream Theater's absolute best songs ever, along with some that are quite average or below average, at least by DT standards.  Trimming out some of those songs to make room for ACOS could make I&W one of their best albums, provided that the final version of ACOS was used.  Because the other obvious problem with a question like this is that the version of ACOS that existed at the time was not nearly as good as the final vesion that ended up on the EP a few years later.  But if we could somehow bend the space/time continuum and include the final version in place of Another Day and Surrounded, it could truly make for a great album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
I agree.  But to play along...

I&W is a very good album, that only suffers due to inconsistency.  Much like Systematic Chaos, it has some of Dream Theater's absolute best songs ever, along with some that are quite average or below average, at least by DT standards.  Trimming out some of those songs to make room for ACOS could make I&W one of their best albums, provided that the final version of ACOS was used.  Because the other obvious problem with a question like this is that the version of ACOS that existed at the time was not nearly as good as the final vesion that ended up on the EP a few years later.  But if we could somehow bend the space/time continuum and include the final version in place of Another Day and Surrounded, it could truly make for a great album.

Get rid of Surrounded or Another Day? Not sure if serious.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
I&W is a very good album, that only suffers due to inconsistency.

What? Are you serious?

But if we could somehow bend the space/time continuum and include the final version in place of Another Day and Surrounded, it could truly make for a great album. 

Yeah, you definitely must be joking.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
This could go in the controversial opinions thread too, but I prefer 91 A Change Of Seasons to 95 and I really wish the earlier version had made it onto Images And Words. Though the album is just about perfect as is, the 91 version added in would make it just slightly better.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
It would rank lower, because I don't think ACOS fits in I&W at all.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »

It probably would have ended up quite different if they had recorded it in 1992 with Kevin Moore.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
In this hypothetical situation where no answer is really wrong, I think that the album would be much better and one of the best of all time.

I'd open the album with ACOS. PMU would be a fine Track 2 and of course LTL is a fine album ender.

OR,

I'd do it like Six Degrees where ACOS is the second disc.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
If Images and Words WAS going to be a double album, then I think laying it out like this would be best:

Disc 1:
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take The Time
Surrounded
Metropolis
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live

Disc 2:
Don't Look Past Me
To Live Forever
Under A Glass Moon
A Change of Seasons

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
Take The Time, Learning To Live and A Change Of Seasons are three of my top four DT songs, and I&W is already my favourite album of all time, so the idea of having all three songs on one album is tempting.  That being said, though, there are a couple of issues with including ACOS on I&W.  For one thing, the version of ACOS that would have ended up on that album was vastly inferior to the version on the '95 EP.  While the original does have afew little things I wish they had kept on the final version (namely JP's epic solo in The Inevitable Summer and few little KM keyboard flourishes here and there), overall, the final version of the song was an improvement in almost every conceivable way, which never would have existed had DT been able to include the original on I&W.  Beyond that, because of the presence of DS and the 7 string guitar, the final version does not stylistically fit with I&W, and would be a much better fit for FII (and it serves as an excellent replacement for the incomplete Metropolis II on the FII demos).

I will add though, that I really wish the album had included To Live Forever and Don't Look Past Me, as I love both of those songs a lot, and they are an excellent fit for the record.  While the label may have wanted to keep the album at around an hour in length, including both of those songs would have increased it to only 68 min, which isn't that much longer then it is already.   Also, I think MP said that the reason those two songs were cut was because the band wanted to maintain a balance of shorter commercial songs and longer, proggier songs, so when Another Day and Surrounded were written, they decided to swap out a couple of tracks.  It's a shame they didn't include all 10 tracks, though, as that would have made an already magical album all the more epic.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:50:48 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
Err, ACOS was released after Awake, so shouldn't the question rather be about whether Awake would be better with ACOS on it?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
Err, ACOS was released after Awake, so shouldn't the question rather be about whether Awake would be better with ACOS on it?
Yeah, but it was originally written and conceptualized (albeit in a very rough form) before Images and Words.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »
Yeah, but it was originally written and conceptualized (albeit in a very rough form) before Images and Words.

And they did originally want it on IaW. It doesn't make as much sense to hypothetically stick it on Awake, when given their own way, it would have been on IaW before that.
That said, if you lopped off Lie onwards, and stuck on ACOS instead, I'd consider it a much better album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
I have to say though that the 1991 bootleg version that exists proves that the song was in such infantile stages at the time, that for the most part, it sounds very incomplete. There were some cool ideas that may have been subjectively better than on the final version, but all in all, the vocal melodies and phrasing for the most part weren't here nor there, and it seemed like JLB was just improvising them, and not very well.
I mean, sure, it's possible that had they been given a green light to put that song on I&W, they would've properly developed it, but who knows? All I know is that I certainly wouldn't want to hear the 1991 version on the album, and it would end up dragging the album down big time.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »
I'd either have a cracked I&W or penis trauma from trying to fuck the disc right in the hole in the middle.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
I'd either have a cracked I&W or penis trauma from trying to fuck the disc right in the hole in the middle.

Or you could end up with the best of both worlds and end up permanently fused to your copy of I&W.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
 :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »

It probably would have ended up quite different if they had recorded it in 1992 with Kevin Moore.

True. I'm sure if they had recorded it as a full studio recording back then, it would have fit I&W a lot better.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"