Author Topic: The Official Vanden Plas Thread  (Read 30305 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Official Vanden Plas Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
It's out already or has it leaked?
Amazon UK is is February 24th release date?

Its up on spotify. Listening now.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 03:59:15 PM »
An album from a band that has supported DT, is Prog Metal like DT and is getting rave reviews and "album of the month" accolades on NUMEROUS websites all over the World, yet no-one has any opinions or wants to discuss it in here. Meanwhile we have 80 odd pages of people having orgasms over that pretentious, full of himself, and self proclaimed DT "disliker",  Steven Wilson!!!.........
Still, I guess everyone is different, but I just don't understand it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
. Meanwhile we have 80 odd pages of people having orgasms over that pretentious, full of himself, and self proclaimed DT "disliker",  Steven Wilson!!!.........

No kidding!

I was just released today here in the States. If I can find a store that has it tomorrow, I'll pick it up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »
An album from a band that has supported DT, is Prog Metal like DT and is getting rave reviews and "album of the month" accolades on NUMEROUS websites all over the World, yet no-one has any opinions or wants to discuss it in here. Meanwhile we have 80 odd pages of people having orgasms over that pretentious, full of himself, and self proclaimed DT "disliker",  Steven Wilson!!!.........

Because Steven Wilson makes good music. It's okay if you don't like him, but spewing that kind of garbage won't get you very far.

And besides, what does it even matter if SW doesn't like DT? Do you give all artists you listen to the "DT test", and if they don't like DT, you just have to stop listening to them?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
I give people the DT test - if they don't like DT I stop listening to them .    ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »
metrojam, the album has only just come out, many people myself included still don't have the album.
Nor have we downloaded an illegal copy.
I'm sure once we have it, there will be discussion.
You also have to remember that Vanden Plas are a very well unknown to the masses band.
While Mr. Pretentious has a far bigger following through Porcupine Tree and his various other bands/projects.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:13:32 PM by gazinwales »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:12 PM »
Just had my first listen to the new Vanden Plas and I'm liking it.  As I've noted before I don't think they've matched their debut (which was more straight out metal and less grandiose/proggy) - to me they were always too short of good ideas to be doing full prog albums.   The first proper song on their 2nd album (Rainmaker) was/is amazing but from that album on I've always made liberal use of the Skip button............with the qualification that I haven't as yet sat down and listened properly to Seraphic Clockwork.

Anyway - I listened to this new album from start to finish no worries ..............rare for me with a new release these days.  I feel that they have spread themselves less thin (there's plenty of nice interludes where normally there might be a filler song).  I think they've been much smarter with pacing in that respect and the quality across the album is higher as a result.

They'll never be in DT's league in my eyes (in prog metal) but this album is a ripper .   It's an album that needs to be listened to as a whole (due to the frequent interludes/segues) and I'm looking forward to a second listen...I wasn't expecting to like it this much tbh as I'd become a bit disillusioned after loving the debut so much and being consistently underwhelmed aside from a few tracks on each album. Well done to the band - the music lives up to the cover art :)

My tentative rating :  92% which must be the first new release >75% in a while (aside from DT12)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:54:33 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »
Yes I love Colour Temple, was always my fave VP album and I bought the Japanese version
many years ago with the 2 killer bonus tracks, Fire and Days Of Thunder.
It has just enough prog bit, mixed with some killer melodic rock melodies and outstanding production and sound for a debut album from 1997.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 03:39:30 AM »

I don't think this is necessary.

Yes I love Colour Temple, was always my fave VP album and I bought the Japanese version
many years ago with the 2 killer bonus tracks, Fire and Days Of Thunder.
It has just enough prog bit, mixed with some killer melodic rock melodies and outstanding production and sound for a debut album from 1997.

You know, I think the debut might be the only VP album I DON'T have, besides this new one.

Brent, Clockwork is awesome, definitely give it a listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
Just got through my first listen of Netherworld, and ...

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy 

There aren't enough superlatives in the English language to describe how I feel about what I just listened to..
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
OK, TAC has officially purchased his first Vanden Plas album. It is downloading right now.

I got a copy of Christ O a few years back, and I don't remember it doing anything for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
Christ 0 took 8 years and 3 listens to click for me. :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:53 AM »
Christ 0 is definitely one of their weakest IMO.  But maybe I need to revisit it too.

I love that Super Troupers gif. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 06:12:34 AM »
I think this album will take multiple listens, but in a good way. I had it on yesterday doing stuff around the house, but I did get a nice head phone listen in last night. It reminded me of my first listen to Beyond The Bridge.

The thought I had while listening was this: To me, they are like a modern day Savatage. Now, you guys know that I am NOT a Savatage fan by any stretch. But one thing that I have always commended them for was their vision and their song writing. IMO, They just seemed to never fully execute, like they just didn't have the chops to pull it off.

Vanden Plas HAS the chops and they do a great job. I would like Gutter Ballet and Streets a LOT more if Vanden Plas rerecorded them.

Anyway, that was what I was thinking. In the coming year, I will definitely be getting the VP discog, though I probably have to wait until Easter to get started.

Has the lineup remained stable throughout their career? Have they always had this singer? He is excellent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:05 AM »
Savatage.......... just didn't have the chops to pull it off.

Vanden Plas HAS the chops .

;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:39 AM »
B, that's funny. I can't hear it, but I've seen the clip many times. I know I'm in the minority (the only one  :D) on Savatage.

Next to Faster Pussycat, they were literally the worst band I've seen live.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 06:56:51 AM »
OK.............that's it!! .  Faster Pussycat and Savatage in the same paragraph.

:)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 07:05:09 AM »
I saw them on Dec 28, 1987. Dio/Megadeth/Savatage :metal :metal

Anyway, Jon Oliva comes out in this long purple cape, roaming the stage and screaming. He looked like a possessed Barny!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »
 :D  - yes Jon was rather wild at that time (and not just that time)

Assuming they all had their records out that'd be Peace Sells/Dream Evil and Hall of the Mountain King tour............wow.   :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 07:15:57 AM »
Has the lineup remained stable throughout their career? Have they always had this singer? He is excellent.

Not sure about the entire band, but I do believe that Andy Kuntz has been the lead singer from the get go.  He has a very distinctive voice... one of the things I really love about VP. 

Edit... quick check of wiki confirms it's been a 100% stable lineup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »
:D  - yes Jon was rather wild at that time (and not just that time)

Assuming they all had their records out that'd be Peace Sells/Dream Evil and Hall of the Mountain King tour............wow.   :tup

It was the first night of Dio's Dream Evil tour in Providence, and for Megadeth, it was a month before SFSGSW came out, so Megadeth had the Beehler/Young lineup and previewed In My Darkest Hour, Liar, Hook In Mouth, and Anarchy.

Megadeth was freaking awesome. It was the night I truly became a Megadeth fan. I had seen them on the Peace Sells tour previous to that as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »
Edit... quick check of wiki confirms it's been a 100% stable lineup.

That impresses me. I will be following up with them.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »
I've had two listens to the new album so far.  Need more time with it to rate it, but my initial impression is that it starts out a bit weak but improves further in.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
I've had two listens to the new album so far.  Need more time with it to rate it, but my initial impression is that it starts out a bit weak but improves further in.

I'm on 25-30 listens (not that it matters, tastes are different of course), and I think the album starts strong, then loses steam a bit, and then picks up and ends on a very strong note. The only tracks I'm not crazy about are 5 and 7, and since everyone on FB seem to like the latter, I hope it grows on me with time.

Misery Affection -> Soul Alliance -> Inside is a mindblowing sequence for the ending, can't get enough of these three.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
I haven't had it long enough to be familiar with the track names yet.  I pre-ordered the CD on Amazon and on release day they emailed me a link to download the digital version.  I've only had it for two days.  My opinion of it will likely change over time.  That's what happened with Christ0 and TSC. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »
That is one of the most impressive things about VP, that they have had the same members since inception.  I like that.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 10:39:46 PM »
Yeah this year is the 20th anniversary of the debut album.
Really looking forward to getting the new album in post this week.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 02:36:07 AM »
Finally got the CD today, and wow it is stunning.
Everything about it is just so good and classy.
It's everything that DT are not anymore, these guys should be stars.
But I'll settle for another quality release and another.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 03:57:25 AM »
Finally got the CD today, and wow it is stunning.
Everything about it is just so good and classy.
It's everything that DT are not anymore, these guys should be stars.
But I'll settle for another quality release and another.

Do you order online, or does your local stores stock these kind of albums?  (You're in Melbourne, right?)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
Ooh those are fighting words mate  ;D
I'm in Sydney, hence me mentioning Utopia Records a fair bit, even though they don't have the new VP or any Vanden Plas titles in stock!
No I bought it from Amazon UK, I get a fair bit from them, mostly stuff that Utopia don't have or titles that are ridiculous prices here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Sorry man, forgot all about our Utopia discussion.  :facepalm:

I've always used WOWHD https://www.wowhd.com.au/ but their delivery times are usually pretty shit.  I should look into Amazon more.  Are their delivery times acceptable?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
Depends on your definition of acceptable.
I've had stuff on less than 4 days, but the normal would be around 5-7 working days.
The big bonus for us in OZ, is that we do not pay UK sales tax, so the prices are less 20% or in other words free shipping :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 04:36:59 AM »
5-7 days is fine with me.  WOWHD are like 10 business days, sometimes longer.

You have me interested with Amazon UK, definitely gonna check it out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »
Listened to the album twice and it's sounding good.  Needs quite a few spins though, but sounding great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 05:50:05 AM »
I listened to it again last weekend and I felt that the second half was noticeably stronger than the first this time around.  I rated it 87% so I suppose that says enough.

www.theguitardojo.com.au