Author Topic: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending  (Read 75751 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know, SP's entire shtick is a turn-off to me. (I know it's not serious)

I can certainly understand why they're not for everyone- the humour likely resonates more with us old farts who lived the 80's.    having said that when you go to a gig it's all age groups.  What really surprises me is that many of their biggest fans are the young girls who are the "butt" of most of the misogynistic humour.........including my sister (although I brainwashed her into good music from a young age and she too lived the 80's music).

If you can deal with the R-rated lyrics/on stage banter their gigs really are one huge party and a great night out.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:58:48 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Ok, Bosk finally came back to the party.  Results will still be Friday eve/Sat morn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I don't know, SP's entire shtick is a turn-off to me. (I know it's not serious)

They are the most honest "hair band" ever. They say exactly what the other bands of that ilk were hinting at with their " let's party", I want to rock you ", "come on lick my candy cane" lyrics. They just say it. And I'm only half joking  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Well... doesn't look like I'm gonna top the 30 page monstrosity from my first Roulette (man that one was fun), but hopefully the 20 pages and 668 posts (damn, would've been cool if I could've had this as post 666... I digress... squirrel!) are reflective of a fun time had by all.

These write-ups might seem a little anti-climactic.  I’ve run out of superlatives to give you guys.  Again, all the music this round was a treat to listen to – either wow’g the fuck out of me, bringing me back to a comfort zone of very familiar music, or just plain fun.  So, I'm not really going to mess with you guys on this one, this will be sorted order of ranking.

Bottom Tier
Wolfking/Gamma Ray
Songs - Anywhere in the Galaxy; Razorblade Sigh; Land of the Free; Eagle
Well, this certainly clicked better with me than the Sabbath of earlier rounds, but still not nearly as memorable as other submissions of yours.  If I had to give these songs a grade, it would be B or B+.  All very solid, yet fairly unspectacular.  I think I really need some sense of ‘prog’ in my power metal.  Of all the ‘pure’ power metal bands in my library (Freedom Call, Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, and a few others), there’s actually more that I'm 'meh' over, than that which I'm 'gaga' over.  These were all somewhere in between.
Other listening notes:  Screaming guitar grabbed my attention; rhythm section dominates way too much; better on subsequent listens; Loved the instrumental; lots of pace changes; didn’t grab my attention.

Bosk/Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Songs - Tamacun; Orion
God damn these were fun tune’s to listen to.  Completely 100% outside of the musical box I would normally be in.  And I’m really glad you insisted on my watching them live.  There’s a certain ‘je ne c’est quoi’ in listening/watching them live vs the studio recordings.  If it was just left to the latter, I think I likely would have quickly dismissed it.  There’s so much more energy in their live playing.
Other listening notes:  Dayum!  This puts the ‘fun’ in Funky.  Very cool.

Middle Guy
Boslters/Twilightning
Songs - Isolation Shell; Into Treason; The Fiend; Fever Pitch
Some really solid rock tunes here.  Vocally, it didn’t quite float my boat though.  Nothing wrong with any of these songs, they were all very enjoyable (Fever Pitch was the best them), but nothing wow’d me or made me stop and take notice.  Most of the solo’s and instrumental sections were quite good
Other listening notes:   Excellent.  Intro justifies the title, then it slides in to a great groove; vocally this is good! interesting keyboard intro, saved by the guitar ... then killed by the vocals; better with backing vocal support.

Top Shelf
TAC/Glass Mind
Songs - Haunting Regrets; Crepusculum Vehementis; Beyond Our Souls
God Bless you good citizen.  These three tracks were all genius, and instantly grabbed my attention.  Top notch.  Great talent, great sound, excellent compositions.  It’s a good thing I didn’t rely solely on the Grooveshark links, as they were demo-quality sound.  The actual album tracks are so much more sonically robust.  And what’s this??  They’re going to be on the ProgNation at Sea cruise in 10 days.  :happydance:  Best submissions by far.  By FAR.  Purchase is definitely impending.
Other listening notes:  Brilliant intro; Great guitar riffs; great percussion; killer fills and solos; Killer instrumental; More killer work on the skins.

Lowdz/Praying Mantis
Songs - In Time; Restless Heart; So High; Touch the Rainbow
As I mentioned coming into this final round, this was Paul’s to win (or lose), and he did.  Win that is.  I’d actually checked Praying Mantis out once a long time ago, and was pretty ‘meh’ on them as I recall, so my expectations were kind of jaded.  However, with each listen, these tunes got better.  Not sure they will end up being purchase-worthy, but definitely will go a little deeper beyond just the one album.  The recurring thought I had with most of these tracks was ‘unspectacular, but really, REALLY solid’.  I did have to scratch one of your submissions, as you sent me 26 minutes of music.
Other listening notes:  Dug the intro... big time; nice vocal harmonies; repetitive with the double bass kick - not thrashy though; great guitar solo; simplistic melody; really liked the rhythm section.

Final Ranking:
Lowdz - $5,400
TAC - $1,800
Bolsters - $1,400
Bosk - $800
Wolfking - $800

So, how you finished the final round is how you finished the entire competition.

Lowder... you earned this one.  Only one dud song all roulette, and I’ve made multiple purchases of what you sent.  I (and your competitors) bow to your musical prowess.   :hefdaddy 

To all of you (even those eliminated in the qualifying rounds), :evilmonkey:

Why I'm doing this?  Mostly for shits and giggles.  Not really doing this to discover new bands, just listen to some awesome music, and have fun

I had never intended to get "in to" new bands/albums, but I fialed at that miserably.  You don’t even want to know (and probably wouldn’t believe) how many albums I’ve purchased already.  Thankfully music is my one vice, I make a good living, and most importantly, I do the finances in the jingle household!  And I still haven’t had a solid listen to the all of the great bands/albums from rounds 4 and 5.  So Lowdz... your winnings will be used to pay for said purchases.  :biggrin:

I'll post some concluding thoughts and awards later.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - And the 'Jingly' award goes to ....
« Reply #669 on: February 07, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Congrats Lowdz!!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #670 on: February 07, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
yeah but when are you going to buy that pathfinder album

:P

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
Congrats Lowdz!!! :metal

Fuck you read fast!

yeah but when are you going to buy that pathfinder album

Why would I?  All I need to do is play Rhapsody, Nightwish, Opeth and Symphony X all at the same time.  :neverusethis:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #672 on: February 07, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
Except they're BETTER

Well, better than Rhapsody and SymX anyway. But I will admit they're not for everyone.

*rocks out to The Whisper of Ancient Rocks* :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #673 on: February 07, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
Lowdz definitely deserves the win, he was on fire the entire time. Congrats! :hefdaddy

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #674 on: February 07, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
Anyway, I don't know if I said before, but thanks for having me, even if my tenure was short. Enjoyed following this one to end as well.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #675 on: February 07, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
*listens to The Whisper of Ancient Rocks*

Well, better than SymX anyway

no

NO

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #676 on: February 07, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
:symphonyx:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: February 07, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »
Paradise Lost > Any of those other things you mentioned

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #678 on: February 07, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
:symphonyx:

That one Pathfinder song was more cheesy than anything Symphony X has ever done. In fact, the style of Pathfinder and Rhapsody are the types of power metal I don't like at all anymore.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #679 on: February 07, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
Oh yeah, it's super cheesy, but it's awesome anyway.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #680 on: February 08, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »
Does naked lap of honour around Lowdz  mansion  :omg:

It does help having very similar musical taste I guess. You complete me you big bold Cannuck.  :heart
With regard to Praying Mantis, I didn't find anything that great about their previous stuff. This album is certainly far better than anything else.
I like Pathfinder though!
Cheers guys. It was fun.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: February 08, 2014, 05:38:36 AM »

It does help having very similar musical taste I guess. You complete me you big bold Cannuck.  :heart
With regard to Praying Mantis, I didn't find anything that great about their previous stuff. This album is certainly far better than anything else.
Cheers guys. It was fun.

Your victory now comes with an asterisk!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #682 on: February 08, 2014, 07:10:46 AM »

Cheers guys. It was fun.

Your victory now comes with an asterisk!

:rollin

Bosk/Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Songs - Tamacun; Orion
God damn these were fun tune’s to listen to.  Completely 100% outside of the musical box I would normally be in.  And I’m really glad you insisted on my watching them live.  There’s a certain ‘je ne c’est quoi’ in listening/watching them live vs the studio recordings.  If it was just left to the latter, I think I likely would have quickly dismissed it.  There’s so much more energy in their live playing.
Other listening notes:  Dayum!  This puts the ‘fun’ in Funky.  Very cool.

:tup

Your description of your reaction pretty much mirrors my frame of mind when sending them to you, so that's cool that those songs had the desired impact.  Since you liked them, I strongly recommend watching this "tutorial" video they do:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfFt0R_-IEE  Even if you don't play a single note of guitar, seeing them break down one of their songs note-by-note and show you what techniques they are actually using is mindblowing.  NOBODY plays guitar like Gaby.  Nobody.  Her "triple strum" techniquie at 3:24-4:40, for example, is definitely a :omg: moment.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the Leaves' Eyes songs?  I know those didn't qualify, but just wondering if those might have changed the ranking any if they had been considered.  They are a "hit or miss" kind of band, so I'm really curious to know what you thought.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: February 08, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
Haven't listened your Leaves Eyes suggestions yet. Though I did listen to the moast current song a while ago, and liked it plenty.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Top Shelf
TAC/Glass Mind
Songs - Haunting Regrets; Crepusculum Vehementis; Beyond Our Souls
God Bless you good citizen.  These three tracks were all genius, and instantly grabbed my attention.  Top notch.  Great talent, great sound, excellent compositions.  It’s a good thing I didn’t rely solely on the Grooveshark links, as they were demo-quality sound.  The actual album tracks are so much more sonically robust.  And what’s this??  They’re going to be on the ProgNation at Sea cruise in 10 days.  :happydance:  Best submissions by far.  By FAR.  Purchase is definitely impending.
Other listening notes:  Brilliant intro; Great guitar riffs; great percussion; killer fills and solos; Killer instrumental; More killer work on the skins.

Awesome! Glad you liked it. A dynamite album for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: February 08, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
Oh yeah. Purchase was made this morning. Killer album. Killer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #686 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »

The groove shark versions had a different vocalist. Someone much cleaner than the album I have. The vocals were the weak link but the guy sings with so much feeling that it has kind of a charm.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: February 08, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »

The groove shark versions had a different vocalist. Someone much cleaner than the album I have. The vocals were the weak link but the guy sings with so much feeling that it has kind of a charm.

Metal-Archives lists two different releases. Didn't notice the different vocalist, just the overall production quality. I assume Grooveshark was the original 2008 release ... It sounds like it was recorded in a submarine.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #688 on: February 08, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
Huh, geez, i think you're right. Wow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:28 AM »
Lowdz is a rich ass mother fucker.

Oh, that Praying Mantis album is fucking awesome.  Interesting pick for the final round.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: February 25, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
And as a final post mortem, I just want to reiterate that I failed immensely at not getting attached to new bands/albums from this.  In fact, this roulette cost me more than my first roulette.  As I said, thank god music is my one and only vice.  So, here's the final tally.  I'm not going to list all the albums, just how many I bought (and the guilty party responsible)

At Vance (4) - lowdz
Brazen Abbot (2) - lowdz
Cloudscape (4) - Wolfking
Constantine (2) - TAC
Enchant (1) - Dr. DTVT
Glass Mind (1) - TAC
Kingcrow (1) - lonestar
Sacrum (2) - kirksnosehair/Elite
Silent Voices (1) - kirksnosehair
Stratovarius (1) - Bolsters
Subsignal (3) - Nekov
Sun Caged  (2) - TAC
Thunderstone (4) - Bolsters
Yargos (2) - Nekov

30 in total, and there's still a few more bands I know I want to check out, plus I've got another half dozen or so bookmarked on Spotify.  I ran out of time in between the end of the roulette, and priming my listening for ProgNation, so I still have to go back to rounds 2, 4 and 5 and dig a little deeper.  Beyond these purchases, I've listened to the full albums from 23 other submissions, all of which were enjoyed, some of which will still likely be purchased (looking straight at you Virgin Steele/Burning of Rome).

Award Ceremony

Fucker that cost me the most money:
Lowdz (6 albums).  My wallet gives you a big
                      :psychosane:

Honorable mentions to Bolsters, Nekov and TAC... who each compelled me to buy 5 albums.  You only get a single
                          :Debra:

Best Song:
Hard to chose amongst the 110 songs that were submitted, and without going back and listening to them all, I'm just going to wing it... and give a tie to Stratovarius/Unbreakable (Bolsters) and Leverage/Dreamworld (lowdz).  As I peruse the list of the winning songs, these two are the two who's melodies instantly jump back into my brain.

Best Album:
I gotta say, I think Glass Mind from TAC in the final round is my favorite album.  This decision might be a little biased, as that was the most recent one, and I listened to it a little extra because they were on the cruise.

Best Band:
Tie:Thunderstone (Bolsters); At Vance (lowdz).  I absolutely love Rick Altzi's voice at the moment, so no surprise there.  However, it was a very pleasant surprise to find Ollie Hartman on the earlier At Vance releases.
Honorable Mention to Subsignal.  Don't think I've listened to a song of their three albums that I didn't like or love.

Most improved song:
From the non-winning songs, which one do I (almost) regret not awarding money to?  It's gotta be Zook with Stone Sour/Absolute Zero.  Damn fine rockin tune.

And just in case you wanted to see the 'Mystery Band' list, here is what it was.

Amorphis
Anathema
Anubis Gate
At Vance - Lowdz
Circle II Circle
Cloudscape - wolfking
Devin Townsend
Bruce Dickinson - wolfking
Dio
Echolyn
Enchant - Dr. DTVT
Epica - Bosk1
Fates Warning
Gamma Ray - wolfking
Jeff Scot Soto
Judas Priest
Manimal
Rainbow
Sonata Arctica - wolfking
Steven Wilson - lonestar
Stryper - Bosk1
Subsignal - Nekov
Spiritual Beggars
Sun Caged - TAC
TNT
UFO
Y&T - Bosk1

A final thank you to everyone for introducing me to so much incredible music.  Sign of a great roulette - my ears win; my wallet loses.

jingle.boy out!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending
« Reply #691 on: February 25, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
Do I get an award for picking the most mystery bands, bitch?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending
« Reply #692 on: February 25, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »
I'm sure we'll be responsible for far more purchases than just 30. :lol Time for a mortgage?

edit: you need the fifth Thunderstone album for a start. :getoffmylawn:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: February 25, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
Biggest whiner:
Wolfking for bitching about not getting an award.

:laugh:

j/k bro.  I was actually surprised you didn't give me Spiritual Beggars (and was hoping you would).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #694 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
OK, just got over the shock of seeing UFO on your mystery band list. Wtf dude?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
OK, just got over the shock of seeing UFO on your mystery band list. Wtf dude?

:dunno:

You never saw them on my last.fm either.  I've heard smatterings here and there... but like many other bands (Rainbow and Dio too), were just a tad under my radar back in the day.

edit: you need the fifth Thunderstone album for a start. :getoffmylawn:

It's Tools of Destruction btw.  I got the first two, and most recent two.  Not really sure why, but I was limiting myself to 4 albums.  Otherwise, I would've been in trouble just with Stryper (which I still have to figure out where to start).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #696 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
So you're telling me you've never heard Strangers in the Night, one of the greatest live albums of all time.  :omg:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: February 26, 2014, 03:42:41 AM »
Biggest whiner:
Wolfking for bitching about not getting an award.

:laugh:

j/k bro.  I was actually surprised you didn't give me Spiritual Beggars (and was hoping you would).

Thank you, I'll take that.  :lol

Interesting about Spiritual Beggars, that wasn't one I even gave a thought too.  I'm not even the biggest fan of them but they do have quite a few killer albums.

And yeah, UFO are just awesome.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #698 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:09 AM »
It's Tools of Destruction btw.
That's a really good one. If you weren't going to buy one it should have been their debut.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: February 26, 2014, 04:43:21 AM »
Tools of Destruction is the only Thunderstone I have, it's awesome.