Author Topic: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending  (Read 75743 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Rd 1: It's Karn Evil #9
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2013, 05:32:52 AM »
I'm regretting my submission.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
I'm regretting my submission.

that's what she sa1d! 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
Sent just now!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
When can I send the round 2 submission?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »

Anytime you want.  I won't listen until after Round 1 is complete though.  As promised, results will be on or before the 22nd.  Already have 2 or more listens to each submitted track so far.  One clear "best", 2 handfuls of great tracks, and the rest are all solid.  Gonna be tough to kick a bunch of you out, but it shall be done.

:boskinated:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »

Anytime you want.  I won't listen until after Round 1 is complete though.  As promised, results will be on or before the 22nd.  Already have 2 or more listens to each submitted track so far.  One clear "best", 2 handfuls of great tracks, and the rest are all solid.  Gonna be tough to kick a bunch of you out, but it shall be done.

:boskinated:

Ok, cool, I'll be sending the next one shortly.  I'll be on call quite a bit during the holidays so I don't want to be late with anything (in case I make it past the first round, of course)  :corn

Hope you like.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
sent

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »

Confident hey?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
...  especially when I sent "the greatest hair metal song of all time tm"  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
...  especially when I sent "the greatest hair metal song of all time tm"  :biggrin:

I already knew Talk Dirty To Me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »
Seeeeeeennntttt!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »

Cherry Pie next then  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2013, 05:38:57 AM »

Cherry Pie next then  :biggrin:

Tastes so good that I  :'( :'(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2013, 07:01:29 AM »
I thought the greatest hair metal song of all time was Rob The Cradle by Roxy Blue

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
It's certainly one of them, no doubt.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:41 AM »
It's certainly one of them, no doubt.

At least the video makes it so.   ;)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »
I have to admit to being impressed.  Very few people know about that album.  Excellent stuff.  I was equally impressed when I found out that hefdaddy loved the album as well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »
I have to admit to being impressed.  Very few people know about that album.  Excellent stuff.  I was equally impressed when I found out that hefdaddy loved the album as well.

I always found that the more obscure cock rock bands were actually really good. Bands like Little Angels, Tall Stories, Spread Eagle, Valentine, Electric Angels, XYZ, Giant, etc.  I could go on.   Actually Electric Angels' The Drinking Song and True Love & Other Fairytales are two awesome songs I still crank up on occasion. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »

I always found that the more obscure cock rock bands were actually really good. Bands like Little Angels, Tall Stories, Spread Eagle, Valentine, Electric Angels, XYZ, Giant, etc.  I could go on.   Actually Electric Angels' The Drinking Song and True Love & Other Fairytales are two awesome songs I still crank up on occasion.

I'd agree with all that, although I'm not familiar with Electric Angels. That Roxy Blue album is really good. There was plenty of great music around at the time- it just gets a bad rap because of the image. There were plenty of shit bands too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »

I'd agree with all that, although I'm not familiar with Electric Angels. That Roxy Blue album is really good. There was plenty of great music around at the time- it just gets a bad rap because of the image. There were plenty of shit bands too.

Electric Angels - The Drinking Song (Not a song meant to be taken seriously but a fun song with the chorus repeating "I never really loved you, I just drank too much."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTqPZQpOPc

Electric Angels - True Love & Other Fairytales (excellent ballad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6EZkvaJvw

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Four go-arounds with each song so far.  Taking a break to cleanse my sonic pallet today, then back at it tomorrow.  Your fates will be revealed on the weekend.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »
:caffeine:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2013, 06:48:19 AM »
Ok ass clowns, time for your judgement.  I don’t expect anyone has read this paragraph at first, I know how Roulette results work... you scrolled down until you found your name to see how you did.  Well, I tried to be a prick and make things a little more difficult for you.  Also, titty sprinkles.  Now that you're back reading this, and some of you know how you fared ... As I mentioned, there was a little something in every song I got – 23 submissions in all, so 6-7 of you will be exiting.  Some (while enjoyable) were fairly easy decisions.  Others were tough. 

One thing I failed to mention in the beginning was that I’ve designated about 20 or so ‘mystery’ bands that are on my ‘check-it-out’ list.  Anyone selecting those bands got an automatic pass into Round 2, whether or not I liked the song.  Three of you chose one of those bands.  Also, a few of followed my tried and true Roulette strategy – win if you can; lose if you must; but always cheat.  Three submissions were from vocalists I know and love.  Smart moves by you three.

Results are listed in no particular order.

Move along, nothing to see here.  See you in Round 2
Y&T/Forever – I doubt I need to say who submitted this one.  This was one of said ‘mystery’ bands... but it didn’t matter, this was an excellent track, the thin production value notwithstanding.
Bride/Everybody Knows My Name – Dat guitar riff!!!  Excellent blend of old-school sounding rock and metal
Subsignal/Where Angels Fear to Tread – Song #2 from a ‘mystery’ band.  Again, no matter as it kicked all kinds of ass.  There were a couple of short passages that lost my interest, but it was just a fleeting moment.
Silent Voices/Into the Flow – Kirk Gibson, 1988 vs the A’s.  Bottom of the 9th, full count, 2 outs.  With two bum knees, he cracks a walk-off Home Run.  Against this competition, to get a song that stood ahead of the rest is just as impressive.  Just listening to a couple more tracks on SoundCloud.  Purchase will definitely be made.
Enchant/Paint the Picture – Not only was this a ‘mystery’ band, but it was also with a vocalist I know and love in Ted Leonard.  I’ve been meaning to get into Enchant for a long time, and now I know why.
Dead Letter Circus/Lodestar - Liked the vocals plenty; nice smooth break in the middle.  The vocal delivery reminds me a lot of the Elysion song that ultimately bumped you to 2nd place in my first roulette.  Not sure why you were so worried.
Tyketto/Forever Young – I listened to Tyketto as a result of a last.fm recommendation, and was mostly unimpressed.  Clearly I picked the wrong song.  This was everything that I love about melodic rock
Disillusion/Fall – Killer opening riff, and then the song never let up.  Well done for being the "fresh fish".
Constantine/The Broken Remain – Other than the fact this was 20 minutes of awesome in packed into 10 minutes, I knew nothing about this band.  *googles*  “Concept Album”.  Oohh... full album up on Soundcloud!  Yeah, I sense a purchase may be forthcoming.
Thunderstone/Ghosts of Youth – Rick Altzi.  One of my favorite metal vocalists right now.  Recognized him instantly.  Wise choice.

Proceed directly to Jail; do not pass Go; do not collect $200

The Quest/Turn Away – had nice vocal melodies, but that’s about it.  Chorus was too damned repetitive, and there wasn’t anything that caught my attention
Hell/Darkhangel - unimaginative riffs, like they're being heavy just for the sake of being heavy.  Some good parts (the chorus), but the screaming aspect of the vocals turned me off - reminded me of why I never got into the HEAVY metal of the 80s.
Tame Impala/Elephant – you said you were gonna send some weird shit, and you did.  Was this what one would consider electronica?  It wasn't horrible, but wasn't the kind of thing that floats my boat these days.

The Cut Line (fate to be determined)
Voyager/ Lost – I went back and forth between liking it long time, and meh - not just the song in general, but during the song.
10cc/Art for Art's Sake – Again with the funkiness!?!?!  I really want to like this, but I’m having trouble.  I keep waiting for Christopher Walken to blurt out “moar cowbell”, cuz there’s lots of it here.  Really has a 70s disco vibe to it.
Smithereens/Behind the Wall of Sleep - Solid rockin tune... I’d expect nothing less,  Pretty straight forward... not a lot of imagination in this track.
The Panic Channel/Left to Lose – Great guitar riffs and a nice solo, but much like the previous song, not a lot of imagination.  Some moments felt very Zeppelin-ish.
Coheed and Cambria/Welcome Home – I’ve heard C&C a number of times on WPAPU, and been mostly unimpressed, so you were right to worry.  Vocal melodies feel more like chanting than melodies, and I wasn’t too fond of the staccato pace from the rhythm section.
The Ocean/Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe – Dark and disturbed track.  I read up on the concept, and it seems pretty cool... not sure sending one of the latter tracks was the place to start on this album though.  I think I would enjoy this much more in the context of the entire album.
OmnisighT/Eleven - First half = meh; instrumental sections (especially the outro) were the redeeming qualities; reminded me a lot of Eumeria ... technical flashiness just for the hell of it.  I wasn't fond of the guitar tone.
DC Cooper/The Angel Comes – The last of the cheaters!  Love DCs voice, but the main keyboard tone was soft like a handshake from a wet sponge. 
Touchstone/The Witness (Pts 1 & 2) – This song felt like it could’ve been Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.  Lots of variety to this, and the transitions weren’t smooth at all.

Three or four of you on the cut line will be sent packing.

Final results to be posted later today if I get the chance.  If not, tomorrow morning.  Those on the cut line will just have to sweat it out a little longer.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Rd 1: This is your Judgement Day
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
I see now that C&C was not a good choice on my part.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me    :-*
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »
The transitions weren't smooth my ass!

THAT SONG IS BEAUTIFUL! I HATE YOUR FACE!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2013, 07:50:35 AM »
Well, shit.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
I want to know who sent what.

Mad props for whoever sent The Ocean.  I wasn't sure if it would be jingle's cup of tea, but at least he got a taste.  Good luck to you mystery brother.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
More cowbell
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »
Oh Snap I'm on the cutting line!  I wonder which one I am?! :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »
I want to know who sent what.

You will. Patience grasshopper.

The transitions weren't smooth my ass!

THAT SONG IS BEAUTIFUL! I HATE YOUR FACE!

Some parts of it are.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
Mad props for whoever sent The Ocean.  I wasn't sure if it would be jingle's cup of tea, but at least he got a taste.  Good luck to you mystery brother.

Yeah, that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »
Made it through!!  :metal

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
btw, jingle, if I get through, what's your tolerance for ridiculously over-the-top power metal? I've got a couple of things I want to try...