Author Topic: Why no JLB lyrics on DT12?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline JiM-Xtreme

Why no JLB lyrics on DT12?
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
I guess I've become a little spoiled or something, or just come to expect one lyrical contribution from him per album. Perhaps I am mistaken to feel this way.  :P

Still, I'm a little surprised at how rare his lyrics have become in recent years, because in interviews he comes across as incredibly thoughtful with so much to say.

What did you guys think? Did he just not feel like it this time around? Did JP and JM beat him to the punch? Or perhaps he feels his solo project is more suited to his own lyrics?

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
Re: Why no JLB lyrics on DT12?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
Would have been fine with me. But I think most of the lyrics are actually quite good.

Actually, I think I would have preferred to have JLB lyrics over JM lyrics, which I find to be incredibly overrated.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
JLB wrote couple of lyrics for his solo album and he felt he had written all in his mind for now.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
JLB wrote couple of lyrics for his solo album and he felt he had written all in his mind for now.

Yes, he said in an interview he told the guys he didn't want to write any for the album. 

Disappointing to me.  I mean, the last DT contribution from him that wasn't a ballad was Prophets of War.  I do like what he does with the ballads but much prefer the heavier tunes he writes lyrics to. 

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »
That puts a lot of stress on JP: Writing the riffs, lyrics, producing...

I quite like JLB's lyrics. He writes well, so he should be forced to contribute at least a little.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
I consider myself lucky to be a person who doesn't really care much about the lyrics. I sometimes enjoy the lyrics in ballads but that's about it. I've never seen anything special in JM lyrics.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »

I quite like JLB's lyrics. He writes well, so he should be forced to contribute at least a little.

I get the feeling that JLB might have being a bit diplomatic.  JP wouldn't actually mind being the only lyricist.  I can't remember if Jordan or James or who said that, but JP very much enjoys being the leader.  He may not seem like he is a Type A personality guy because he is pretty laid back but he most certainly is.  Thankfully he is the type that usually lets other people contribute but he has no problem contributing more than his share himself. 

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
I, too, love JLB's lyrical contributions to the band. I wish he'd write more, but he's not asking us to save him. Maybe he's just too far from Heaven?
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
Pretty sure JLB said he got all his lyric-writing wants and desires done with his latest solo album, and that he decided to take a break from it and let the other guys take care of it for this album.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »

Nah, I don't think you should be, or feel, forced to write, especially something like lyrics or something that's poetic. Sort of has to come through naturally or it seems contrived. Unless you're going for the story approach or something.

Anyway, I believe we'll see more lyrics from JLB next album for some reason.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »
James' lyrics are always the best

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »
I have never really given a shit who writes the lyrics.  Really though, with the amount of lyrics JLB has written, it's no real surprise if he doesn't contribute anything IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »
He did the lyrics for Enigma Machine.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »
I would've enjoyed JLB's lyrics on DT12. One of my favorite DT songs has lyrics by him (Blind Faith), and those are pretty damn good. I hope we get some for the next album.