Author Topic: Just Switched Back to Android- Need Music Player Recommendations  (Read 1148 times)

Offline kaos2900

After two years with a Windows phone I've jumped back to Android with the S7. While overall the Windows support is disappointing the Groove app was amazing. Since the Groove app on android appears to be total shit (doesn't appear to play music from Phone or SD Card) I'm looking for recommendations on the best music player app on Android. I have no interest in streaming music. I specifically want to play music from my SD Card. Preferably I'd like the ability to edit meta data within the app. What do you all like the most?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Just Switched Back to Android- Need Music Player Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:09:31 AM »
Pretty sure my wife has an S7 and I set up all her SD card music to play via Google Music.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:15:00 AM »
I use Poweramp and I find it rather good. Gapless playback isn't great, but seems to be better than all the other players I tried out. Otherwise I find it quite excellent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
I pretty much use Google Play Music exclusively. EQ is alright and I have a full account so I get all my music stored in the cloud plus whatever they have to stream.

Poweramp is pretty widely recognized as one of the best music player apps. Before I embraced the streaming apps, it was my go-to.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »
I use PlayerPro.  Poweramp is also good, but I have some issue with their player not reading my MP3 tags at all.  The tags would have been generated automatically by ripping to iTunes, and I just don't want to go filter through 900 cd's and re-tag/rip them all. 

Both have a free trial app, and then a for-purchase app. The for-purchase app provides an equalizer, which I love.  They also have downloadable skins, so you can change the look of your player. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
I just use google play.  I don't think it's the best, but it works well and I got used to it.  I'm also not an audiophile so someone with more sensitive ears might want a player with a better equalizer.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
Playerpro it is! It tried using Poweramp but had the metadata issue. Playerpro looks like I have every thing I need. Thanks everyone!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:46:53 AM »
I pay 10 bucks a month for Google Play. I can stream whatever I want, plus youtube red is included so I don't have ads when I watch.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:55:04 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
^What he said. I live on Google Play at work.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »

If I could be connected to Wi-Fi 24/7, I'd use a streaming service.  But I'm able to keep a low data plan for my family by listening to my own MP3's, as opposed to streaming music for 3 hours per day when I'm commuting.  I also don't have any issues when I'm traveling on an airplane and don't have access to Wi-Fi, or don't have to purchase it onboard or in a hotel.   ;)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
I use Blackplayer EX and I love it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »
If I could be connected to Wi-Fi 24/7, I'd use a streaming service.  But I'm able to keep a low data plan for my family by listening to my own MP3's, as opposed to streaming music for 3 hours per day when I'm commuting.  I also don't have any issues when I'm traveling on an airplane and don't have access to Wi-Fi, or don't have to purchase it onboard or in a hotel.   ;)

Makes sense. I'm on Wi-Fi almost all day. Have it at home, in my car, and at work so I don't have to worry too much.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »

I have Google Play and I downloaded all my music to an SD card so I can listen offline. Works perfectly, though my 64 GB SD card is now full and my phone doesn't support a bigger one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »

I have Google Play and I downloaded all my music to an SD card so I can listen offline. Works perfectly, though my 64 GB SD card is now full and my phone doesn't support a bigger one.

+1 to the 64GB SD card stored with music (although mine is not offline files, but my mp3s)  :metal  I try not to engage in streaming for data reasons, plus I don't particularly need the vast internet of music at my fingertips honestly.  As long as I have my collection I am more than good for any situation plus when I am on wifi I then have all that access. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
I use poweramp, to me it's the best sounding player I've used. I bought the pro version of it but have to be honest, it took a lot of tweaking to make it play right. I used to constantly have issues where it would stop, skip or sound crappy. After a lot of tinkering it sounds really amazing and plays flawless now.

I'll have to try some of the others listed here.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »
VLC