Author Topic: Why does James sound so good on ACOS considering it is post-accident?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Why does James sound so good on ACOS considering it is post-accident?
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
OIALT is a flat-out awful performance by James, so glad he got out of that rut. That album is basically unlistenable because of how bad the vocals are.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »
OIALT is a flat-out awful performance by James, so glad he got out of that rut. That album is basically unlistenable because of how bad the vocals are.

On OIALT, no words sound more appropriate on Take Away My Pain than the song title itself.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
I still prefer it to his Budokan performance, which is a real shame considering it's the nicest looking concert DVD I ever saw. Plus OIALT got Derek's great Hammond sound.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

Definitely the low point for him, and the band. The keyboards ruin it as much as the vocals for me though.
To think that it's been 15 years since then, and JLB has only improved.

Because all the finest wines IMPROVE WITH AGE! :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
You guys keep mentioning OIALT being James' worst recorded performance, but to be completely honest it sounds like he's just trying to avoid coughing throughout most of it. His Sean Conner impression esque performances on CiM are far more cringe worthy.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »

Definitely the low point for him, and the band. The keyboards ruin it as much as the vocals for me though.
To think that it's been 15 years since then, and JLB has only improved.

Because all the finest wines IMPROVE WITH AGE! :biggrin:

Are you implying that he's.... Winy?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
You guys keep mentioning OIALT being James' worst recorded performance, but to be completely honest it sounds like he's just trying to avoid coughing throughout most of it. His Sean Conner impression esque performances on CiM are far more cringe worthy.

Which song in particular? I think he did a good job on a handful of songs on CiM.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »

Which song in particular? I think he did a good job on a handful of songs on CiM.
It's easier to ask: In which songs do you think he did a good job?  :lol CiM is universally considered as one of JLB's worst moments ever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
Knowing that James had many amazing performances during SC World Tour, it only matters to me. So, having worst performances on the DVD is another debateable matter and James is not the one can be blamed for this.

Actually I'm still questioning, in what sense you decided to put "that" Blind Faith performance in DVD even though there was better performances recorded from the tour. Same goes for Surrounded and Lines In The Sand... Actually all...
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Yeah, in my mind you would put on performances that don't paint any member in a bad light when doing a compilation.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »

I agree.  On OiaLT, his voice cracks some, and he screams where he can't hit the high notes, but otherwise there's a lot to like in the album.  On CiM, on the other hand, everytime he goes into the higher registers it sounds very. . . fake, like his voice has been extremely overprocessed.  I don't know if he was way off pitch, and they really layed on the AutoTune, or what, but the high parts on CiM don't sound like I've ever heard JLB sing, before or since.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nfun2sYGRI
For me, Budokan has his worst performance.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »
It's not so surprising that singers can have nights where they are completely off, but what is extremely surprising is the fact that they decided to put out these performances as big DVD/CD releases. Surely they have other footage or can film several shows just to be safe! This is probably true for CIM especially. The problem is almost always James, he's the factor that makes or breaks the whole listening experience.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »
It's not so surprising that singers can have nights where they are completely off, but what is extremely surprising is the fact that they decided to put out these performances as big DVD/CD releases. Surely they have other footage or can film several shows just to be safe! This is probably true for CIM especially. The problem is almost always James, he's the factor that makes or breaks the whole listening experience.

Well, they don't film every single night. They decide ahead of time when they want to film, and if it's not the best night for James, then there's nothing they can do. They already spent the money on the camera people and stuff, so it's not like they can say, "Well, too bad. I guess we'll just shelf this one."

But I think people really exaggerate. His performance on LAB and even OIALT was fine. Maybe not the most stellar, jam packed with improvised F#s, but it's not like some of the other bootlegs I've seen where his voice was just consistently cracking to a point where it's painful to listen to.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »

Well, they don't film every single night. They decide ahead of time when they want to film, and if it's not the best night for James, then there's nothing they can do. They already spent the money on the camera people and stuff, so it's not like they can say, "Well, too bad. I guess we'll just shelf this one."

But I think people really exaggerate. His performance on LAB and even OIALT was fine. Maybe not the most stellar, jam packed with improvised F#s, but it's not like some of the other bootlegs I've seen where his voice was just consistently cracking to a point where it's painful to listen to.

Indeed! He has a few awesome moments on both. On LaB, I love the line in Trial of Tears "I look for a way back home", as well as right before the second chorus of New Millennium "Welcome you all new milleeenniUUM!". Also, in TDS, "Now that you can see all you have done", the vibrato when he sings "see" is amazing. On OIALT, some of the extra improv notes in Lie were pretty cool.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
This dyyying sooul-owl

*cringe*

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
This dyyying sooul-owl

*cringe*

That would be one of the parts that I don't like, though. :lol