Author Topic: Faith in humanity .... restored  (Read 20517 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Faith in humanity .... restored
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
That was heartwarming. That sounds amazing to do.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
Bah, humbug!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
Okay, actual entry:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DyEHJ

Bikers Against Child Abuse

Excuse me while I just get something out of my eye.

No kidding. It's dusty here at work this morning!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
I have an employee who was hit at her mailbox by a car.  She's really banged up and is out for a month or better.  We are working on her short term disability but in the meantime I had an employee who want's to donate PTO to her so she can have some money.  Other employees are willing as well.  It warms my heart to see this and I am so happy to see our group pull together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
I have an employee who was hit at her mailbox by a car.  She's really banged up and is out for a month or better.  We are working on her short term disability but in the meantime I had an employee who want's to donate PTO to her so she can have some money.  Other employees are willing as well.  It warms my heart to see this and I am so happy to see our group pull together.

That's awesome!

I have a friend who was in the hospital from Sep till just a few days ago. She didn't work enough hours to qualify for benefits at work, so her boss fudged the paperwork to help her get paid time off, and other things to help her out. Very awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:53 AM »
That’s actually a beautiful story. Love the responses.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »

Awesome story.

(Though I won't lie: I read it quickly and saw "who was hit IN her mailbox" and thought, "that must've hurt" and "I'm going to start calling it "the mailbox"; that's funny.")

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2019, 07:36:49 AM »
Don’t know if anyone follows Jared Dines, but he raised 80K to buy instruments for kids. The whole story is just weird but awesome at the same time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pVo6PU6s0oM&t=0s
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
Here's a solid one.

https://old.reddit.com/r/HumansBeingBros/comments/ihjyjf/how_this_guy_deals_with_kids_playing_on_his/

Most excellent.  We need more of these, because my faith in humanity is about as solid as as a shit after drinking Mexican tap water.

Here's mine for today: https://twitter.com/i/status/1298948048987529217

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
Wow Chad, that brought a tear.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »
I'm not crying,  you're crying. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2020, 07:55:30 PM »
Wow Chad, that brought a tear.

Yeah, it got me too.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2020, 11:14:46 PM »
I'm not crying,  you're crying.

No kidding......right in the gut.....in a good way

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
Well, was looking at Loudwire just to see any news in the rock world and I found something that made me shed some tears a bit.

https://loudwire.com/trivium-matt-heafy-surprise-guitar-gift-drew-barrymore-show/

So, there is this UPS driver that drives around blasting music and this little kid gets excited when he sees the driver comes to his neighborhood.  Kid asked the driver if he has any package for the kid.  Driver says no, but let's see tomorrow.  The next day, that driver brought a package for the kid a toy truck and candy as a gift.  That little thing is something that can make a kid's life a little more enjoyable when they are so confused on how the world is nowadays.

How did I found this article on Loudwire (a rock music site)?  Turned out that driver's favorite band is Trivium so Matt Heafy made an appearance via webcam on the Drew Barrymore show, surprisingly, and says that he's going to send a guitar over to the driver as a thank you for being a good "local community hero."
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:54:04 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
Awesome!  We need stories like this more often, especially nowadays.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2020, 05:45:26 AM »
I like this one.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/06/us/wedding-deposit-to-feed-needy-trnd/index.html

Most brides and grooms-to-be have had to scale back wedding plans as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, with shorter guest lists, canceled venues and smaller receptions.

But Emily Bugg and Billy Lewis of Chicago had an idea to pivot their wedding celebrations to something even better -- by giving back to others.
Bugg and Lewis had been planning a large wedding reception for family and friends, but with the pandemic getting worse, they realized their big day wouldn't happen as planned. The couple got married last month in a small city hall ceremony, with only a photographer.
Suddenly, the couple had no venue, no reception and no guests, but they still had a $5,000 catering deposit. So, they asked their caterer if they could turn the wedding food into donated Thanksgiving dinners for those in need.

The newlyweds and the catering company helped serve 200 meals to people with serious mental illnesses and substance use conditions.
"In the grand scheme of things, canceling a big wedding isn't the worst thing that could happen," said Bugg in a statement. "We're happy to be married, and we're so happy that we could help Thresholds' clients feel the connection of a Thanksgiving meal as a result of the wedding cancellation."
"They said, 'Is there any way we could do something good with our deposit?'" recalled caterer Heidi Moorman Coudal, who owns Chicago-based company Big Delicious Planet. She said most couples ask for their money back, or they simply think of the time and resources caterers put into planning their wedding menu as another sunk cost.
"For them to think about doing something for the greater good is just really heartwarming," Coudal told CNN.
"Everybody was really excited because they knew this food was going to a really good cause," Coudal said. "I think of Big Delicious Planet as a company that gives a lot back to the community -- we donate our time, our food resources, our locations and community garden, so I was happy to get on board with this."
Bugg is an outreach worker at Thresholds, a nonprofit mental health provider in Chicago that helps people with conditions such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and major depression.
Last year, the community mental health center offered services to more than 8,000 people, including young kids, the elderly, homeless people and veterans. Many of Thresholds' clients are people who also struggle with food insecurity and live on low incomes.
The couple made another donation. Bugg and Lewis also asked their wedding venue to put the reception deposit towards a future event for the Epilepsy Foundation, another charity close to Bugg's heart.

Thresholds CEO Mark Ishaug said the donation was truly needed because the nonprofit had to cancel its largest fundraiser due to Covid-19. He said Thresholds typically hosts a Thanksgiving meal for their clients in need, but had to cancel that as well amid the pandemic.
"It really couldn't have come at a better time," Ishaug said. "This is about Emily and Billy, but it really exemplifies my entire staff and how much the people who work at Thresholds care so deeply about the people they serve."
He also said the couple's example of creative generosity has inspired others to give back to the community as well.
Another Chicago man reached out to Thresholds to say that his retirement party had been canceled and asked if he could put the food deposit toward Christmas meals for those in need.
"It's an example of goodness begetting more goodness," Ishaug said. "In this time of despair and this time of sadness and anxiety and frustration, we need more goodness. This is just one example of how we can take a really dark time and make it much brighter."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2020, 06:16:44 AM »
Fantastic.  Great post to start my Friday with.   :tup

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2020, 07:02:06 AM »
It's a small story I saw on the local news last night, but in my view, the small gestures are the ones that matter.  We as Americans are great at the grand showy gesture, but suck at "hand to hand combat" if you will.

Except here: A handicap ramp was stolen from a house in Hartford (what?) and a local East Hartford tire company crew took a collection, ran out, bought one and just showed up to install it for her. 

I searched NBC CT and Fox 61 (NOT Fox News) but there was no mention, so no link.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2020, 09:43:26 AM »
A story out of Dallas - A lady shoplifted from a grocery store and they called the police. The police easily found the lady and found out that she is homeless and starving. They went back to the store and paid for the items the lady shoplifted. I literally heard this story 10 minutes ago.

I guess I am an old man softy because it put a tear into my eyes. After a cruel 4 years, this is nice to hear!  :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »
It's a small story I saw on the local news last night, but in my view, the small gestures are the ones that matter.  We as Americans are great at the grand showy gesture, but suck at "hand to hand combat" if you will.

Except here: A handicap ramp was stolen from a house in Hartford (what?) and a local East Hartford tire company crew took a collection, ran out, bought one and just showed up to install it for her. 

I searched NBC CT and Fox 61 (NOT Fox News) but there was no mention, so no link.

A story out of Dallas - A lady shoplifted from a grocery store and they called the police. The police easily found the lady and found out that she is homeless and starving. They went back to the store and paid for the items the lady shoplifted. I literally heard this story 10 minutes ago.

I guess I am an old man softy because it put a tear into my eyes. After a cruel 4 years, this is nice to hear!  :metal

:tup :tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2020, 07:43:42 AM »
Man tries to drop his dog off at Humane Society because he is living out of his car and can't care for the pet.  Instead, they offer to 'board' the animal until he's back on his feet, and the community steps up.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news/1.14183856?fbclid=IwAR1qe8nLHkRSq4HVRg30Z05QDoIY1pL8y5MpZBXdF9PEZmBJaFMSP3H20M4

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
Saw this video a couple days ago, and now an additional heart warming action.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/indian-rail-worker-mayur-shelke-donates-money-to-boy-saved/

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
Awesome!  Real heroes don't do it for the fame, or the money.  They do the right thing because it's the right thing.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2021, 08:27:10 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/06/07/puppy-parvo-vet-bill-pokemon/

TL:DR - Little boy's puppy is going to die and family can't afford treatment. Little boy sets up roadside stand to sell his Pokémon cards to afford treatment. The internet comes to the rescue.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2021, 09:37:57 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/06/07/puppy-parvo-vet-bill-pokemon/

TL:DR - Little boy's puppy is going to die and family can't afford treatment. Little boy sets up roadside stand to sell his Pokémon cards to afford treatment. The internet comes to the rescue.

I saw that last week.  Very nice.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2021, 02:15:43 PM »
This may come off as kind of a humble brag but I assure you that's not the intention.

I'll try to give the quick version in order to shorten the post:

I have a good buddy who out of the blue was recently was diagnosed with a pretty rare soft tissue cancer....Lime size tumor behind his left kidney.  He had been having stomach pains for a few weeks but attributed it to being upset about his mother who he had just watched pass away from the same type of cancer.....and just thought it was nerves or an ulcer or something. The pains went away and he thought that was that.....but....a good friend of his wife convinced him to go get a scan because of his mother and biological father both dying of cancer within days of one another.

He did and he in fact had cancer and within two weeks of finding this tumor they had him in surgery to remove it. Initially they thought they'd have to remove his left kidney and spleen....but when they got in there they were able to cut everything out they needed but also removed then transplanted his left kidney onto the right side of his body. so both of his kidneys are now next to each other...kind of unique. Anyway, as you can imagine the recovery from that surgery alone is going to be brutal so he's missing work for some time.

I knew from the past that the mens league hockey club we both play in had done a couple benefits for guys in the past....so I reached out to the President of our league who in turn reached out to the Hockey Club that our kids play on who owns the ice and with a couple hours of my first phone call they had donated an entire day of ice to us and the use of the grounds to host a fundraiser. At that time I created a Facebook account and Event Page and started reaching out to folks to help organize.

Over the next two months we were able to put together a good approach to utilizing the ice for all age groups and we were able to get all the details ironed out as far as huge outdoor tents, tables, chairs, food, drinks etc etc. It all just flowed together. All the beer was donated, had people donate the sodas and water, a local BBQ joint donated 10 pulled pork butts, the St. Louis Cardinals head chef got us burgers, dogs, bread chips etc etc for cost....I mean down the line of what we needed the need was met to the tune of yesterday all I owed out of pocket for the event was $875. So many people just helping out.

The way I planned the day of hockey for the kids and the cost for the teams I knew that we'd have $8k in the bank just from registrations which were filled within days. At that point I was thinking to myself we'd make another $4-5k the day of and be able to get this family $12-13k to help out. Well, the response was incredible! The event went off about as well as it could of, so many people donated baskets to be raffled off and a ton of folks stopped by the event to support the family.

When all was said and done we were able to raise $26,208.00 for this family!!! I mean, I was floored! The family was just in disbelief. The response from our hockey club's parents and the community was above and beyond what we ever thought it would have been. It's still crazy to think we were able to raise that kind of money in one day for these guys. There was an anonymous sealed letter to the family that has $1k cash in it. All day random people just handing us hundreds of dollars at a time just saying don't want any raffle or food....just put this in the pot. Had a guy show up....walk in and hand over $500 and said 'thanks' and left. Just an overwhelming response  and support for this family.

I will say that the guy who we did this for is the type of guy who will do anything for you and WANTS to do anything for you. Very giving person and well liked and respected. He's just a good dude and it was awesome to see him and his family be the beneficiaries of such generosity.

He goes in tomorrow for his three month check up and scan after the surgery to see if it's returned or not and to make sure they got it all....so, he's not out of the woods yet....but it was great to give that family that day yesterday to absorb all the love that was coming towards them.

Anyway.....what I witnessed yesterday is 100% a 'faith in humanity' moment in time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2021, 02:30:29 PM »
Awesome!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »
That’s amazing. On your part too, Gary. Most mere mortals just fire up a gofundme page. Good on you for doing something where everyone gets a little something.