Author Topic: Faith in humanity .... restored  (Read 20516 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Faith in humanity .... restored
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
I just now saw the one above that... now THAT is amazing. I've never once seen an ex get along with the new husband (or ex-wife/new wife). That's pretty incredible.

Why you guys gotta be reminding me I have tear ducts, you fawks!?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2015, 05:56:20 AM »
Anyone else catch those 'selfie sorority girls' a couple weeks back?

https://medium.com/@kellyholmes/what-those-silly-selfie-girls-taught-me-a6085d9f1c20

What you need to know about those “selfie girls”
There’s this thing we do lately. Parents shame their kids on Facebook or Youtube when they step out of line, people shame moms for nursing their hungry babies in a restaurant, and on and on, and now THIS.
Maybe you watched this video when it came across your feed. And maybe you rolled your eyes or shook your head at how the girls behaved during the baseball game. Honestly? I did.
But those “selfie girls” reminded me of something important.
Here’s what you should know.
1. The audience at the baseball game was ASKED to tweet selfies as part of a contest.
2. So these girls in the audience…took selfies. In other words, they participated in the event that was designed to engage the crowd.
3. By the looks of it, the girls had fun. They were being silly. Enjoying themselves. For this, the announcers mocked them. Shamed them. Their mockery went viral, and these girls had their faces plastered all over social media.
4. To apologize for the viral shaming incident, Fox Sports and the Arizona Diamondbacks offered free tickets to the girls.
5. The girls declined the free tickets. Instead, they asked Fox and the Diamondbacks to donate the tickets to families at A New Leaf, a non-profit that supports victims of domestic violence. Plus, with October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month, the girls used their newfound SHAME-FAME to encourage people to donate to the cause.
That sounds like the behavior of a girl I’d be proud to call my daughter.
Well played, girls. And thank you for reminding me that I don’t always have the full story.

Take that social media.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »
Damn, well played indeed. Selfies (the mere fact it's become a word) annoy the fuck out of me, and I have zero social media so it's ten fold. But I'm not so much into shaming people for anything anymore after the amount of stupid, straight up half-wit shit I've done; especially something as harmless as posting pictures. But that is awesome, and holy hell how does an announcer not know about a contest going on within the stadium they're in?  :lol Dumb dumbs.

Good stuff though, good on them.

RIP DTP.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »
Good.  Very very good.  This is what happens when we get the full context of that scenario.  I just saw that picture and thought, "Well, it's just girls taking pictures of themselves in a baseball game.  That's fine.  Nothing wrong with that."

Now with all of this added context, it all makes sense now and the losers are those that shamed them which, in turn, are now probably ashamed of themselves for not knowing the context.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »
But that is awesome, and holy hell how does an announcer not know about a contest going on within the stadium they're in?  :lol Dumb dumbs.

I think the announcer actually did know about the contest.  Here's the video of it.  Contest was mentioned at the beginning before the announcers went into bashing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_SFg6B668

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »
Ahhh I wanted to see that video, thanks! Wow, those guys are douchebags.  :lol That's pretty much bashing your own people (maybe even bosses) on top of that considering he completely knew about it...that's crazy. It's like announcing to people to start dancing weird for a contest and then when they start dancing weird, making fun of them for it. Completely ass-backwards. Now that I've seen that it makes it so much better that they stuck it to 'em by doing something good.

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
The thing I hate most of all is that the word "selfie" just means "photo" now.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2015, 06:09:17 AM »
There is a time and a place for a selfie/selfie stick. I take selfies all the time (though I rarely post them to social media). Perfect example. Yesterday I drove about 110 miles to pick up thirty NFT channels. I could have just texted my girlfriend "Hey. Craigslist guy didn't murder me. On my way home now". Instead, I sent her a selfie of me grinning like a tard in the rented pickup truck with a bed full of hydroponic gear behind me. I see no problem with that.

Last week I watched a four and a half minute video of a girl taking selfies at a park. Four and a half fucking minutes of this girl repositioning herself so she tell the world how terrible of a mother she's being. That shit pisses me off to no end.

As far as the selfie stick, I hate them for the most part. But there are a few instances where having one can get you some pretty cool photos or video. 1) I use one for filming RC trucks and getting close up footage. Being able to get the camera inches off the ground while still being able to walk at a steady pace is great. 2) When we are out on the water. My friends and I have gotten some really great photos of us out on our kayaks that wouldn't have been possible with anything else other than a drone.

@Kotowboy - "selfie" has not replaced the word "photo" in any way. If anything it replaced the phrase "self portrait". 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
It depends where you live i guess.

I heard a group of people ask one of their number to " take a group selfie " :emo:

1. It's not a selfie if there's more than one person in the picture ( imo ) Hence "SELF"

2. It's not a selfie if you didn't take the picture....  :yeahright

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »
I went to Red Lobster with my buddy tonight. The server (cute, but that's not important) floored me with her attitude. She made my day, so I tried to make hers.

The meal was 40 dollars. I left her a 20 dollar tip.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2015, 04:53:01 AM »
Awesome!  I still remember a meal with a few buddies when we were in Uni... the food was very good, but her service was all we talked about for years.  Left a huge tip as well.  Good on ya for rewarding brilliant services.  15% standard is BS.  I tip relative to how good the service was.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2015, 05:23:08 AM »
I work for the MTA so I see all sorts of things on a daily basis. I spend more time traveling than anything else. It's always nice to see people relinquish their seats to an elderly person, woman, or even a little kid.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2015, 04:48:08 AM »
Excellent!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »
Very cool!

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
Heart-warming!  I love this thread!
- Ronzoni -

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
*tears of joy*
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2016, 11:36:49 PM »
Fucking right on.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2016, 08:27:03 AM »
I boarded the A train earlier today and surprisingly found three or four open seats. As I sat down, I suddenly realized why as I caught the odor of a sickly looking man a few seats over. Obviously people were avoiding sitting near him. Partly for the odor and probably because they thought he was some homeless crazy. I saw him making hand motions out of the corner of my eye and noticed him scratching his leg. When I took a closer look at his leg, there was obviously some kind of infection as there was a hole the size of a dime through his layers of skin.

I sat for a bit as people who were anywhere near him took their first chance to find a seat at the other end of the subway car. I had every opportunity to do the same but a part of me felt bad about doing so and I sat their reading. I was distracted though and reached into my bag and pulled out the sandwich I had made for myself and offered it to him. He responded, "You keep it. I only have a few days left anyway." I said, "Then you should enjoy whatever time you have left as best you can. Take the sandwich and enjoy it. You need it far more than I do." He took it from me and I saw a tear form in his eye. What I then saw in him was the innocence of the young child he once was, laughing and playing, and filled with dreams of the future, now sitting on a Manhattan subway car on a cold winters day counting down his last hours in this world.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »
Thumbs up to you, ProgSnob!

I'm sure you positively impacted the other passengers who witnessed your kindness.  Pass it on.   :tup
- Ronzoni -

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2016, 10:39:21 AM »
Dude, wow.  That's fucking awesome.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »
Classy, and moving, move.   :tup :tup

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
I just now saw the one above that... now THAT is amazing. I've never once seen an ex get along with the new husband (or ex-wife/new wife). That's pretty incredible.
My aunt's ex-husband still comes to Christmas/Thanksgiving dinners. Makes me curious as to why/how they divorced, but it would be super rude of me to ask.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
The most common answer I've found in situations like that is "because of the kids".  Even after Mom and Dad divorce, the kids love to have them both around for holidays, and if the parents are still on good enough terms (and don't have somewhere else to be and/or someone else to be with) then why not?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »
I want my kids to grow up like this - Millenial Bill of Rights

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
:clap:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
A neighbor 2 houses from my dad called to ask if dad was all right since she did not see him coming and going from the house the last month.

It warms my heart to see that they care for dad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
Tracy's Dogs - rescuing dogs out from "high kill" shelters.  Since 2011, they’ve adopted out over 3,700 dogs who would have otherwise been euthanized.

https://www.littlethings.com/couple-meets-trailer-dog/?utm_source=manzo&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=dogrescue

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »
First thing I thought of was Frontiers Records:

Since 2011, they’ve adopted out over 3,700 musicians who would have otherwise been euthanized.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2017, 06:43:48 AM »