Author Topic: DTF Cookbook v. Show Me Whatcha Cookin'  (Read 13515 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DTF Cookbook v. Show Me Whatcha Cookin'
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
World's Greatest Broccoli (side)

Take 2 bags of the kind of broccoli that you can steam in the microwave, and find out the amount of time it takes for the broccoli to become obviously cooked, but still crisp enough that it holds its form when stirred. Put broccoli into a serving bowl. Take a few tablespoons (2-4 depending on preference) of butter, and mix it into the broccoli, with a generous sprinkling of All-Purpose Aromat seasoning.

I need to get my mother's recipes for the following:

Jambalaya
Spaghetti (it's very special)
CODDLE OH MY GOD YES CODDLE
REISFLEISCH OH MY GOD YES REISFLEISCH
Mushroom rice
Vegetable soup (also very special)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
Mulligatawny (Soup)

6 tbsp butter or margarine
1 large yellow onion, diced (all fruit and veggies medium to small dice)
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 jalapeño peppers, diced
1 granny smith apple, diced
1 ½ lbs chicken breast, cubed to preference
1/3 cup flour
1 tbsp curry powder
½ tsp nutmeg
6 cups (48 oz.) chicken broth
3 crushed cloves
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 cup frozen corn
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp cilantro (dried or fresh)
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp parsley
2 bay leaves
½ tsp thyme
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the flour, curry powder and nutmeg together and set aside.  Melt 4 tbsp butter or margarine in a dutch oven/soup pot.  Add onion, carrot, celery, green pepper, jalapeños, and apple.  Cook for a few minutes, to soften up the veggies.  Add chicken.  Cook until no longer pink on the outside.  Add remaining butter or margarine.  At this point, there should be sufficient liquid from the butter and juices from the chicken and vegetables, so slowly add flour mixture, stirring as you add, to prevent clumping.  Simmer (medium-low) about 5 minutes.  Add everything else, in order.  Partially cover and simmer 45 minutes-ish.

This is my own personal recipe I threw together after reading up on a bunch of different recipes online.  There's a lot of prep work involved in this, but it's worth it.  Also, I haven't made this in a while, and I've learned a lot since the last time I made it, so it's very likely that some alterations could be made to make it even better.  I may have to try it soon...

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
Potato Leek Gratin (Could be either a side or entrée; I'll let Snapple decide)

2 lb potatoes, thinly sliced
6 leeks, medium, sliced into 1/4" pieces
10-12 oz Brie cheese
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in boiling water for three minutes. Add leeks during last minute. Drain. Place potato leek mixture into shallow oven proof dish greased with butter, and cover with salt and pepper, then sliced cheese. Pour coconut milk over all. Bake 60-70 minutes at 375º F. Should look similar to this when done (not my recipe, but a similar one I found on someone's blog):

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
Banana Ice Cream (Dessert)

This is a really simple, delicious, healthy mock ice cream you can make if you have a high-powered blender with a tamper like a Vitamix. Take 5 or 6 bananas (bananas should be nice and spotty before you eat them), peel them, chop them into pieces about 2 inches long, and place in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for 8-10 hours. Blend with 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 tsp cinnamon, using the tamper to push the banana pieces towards the blade. If you did it right, you should have a paste with a similar consistency to ice cream. If the bananas won't blend, try adding some cold water, or they might be too frozen.

Photo credit: thekitchn.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
Tis the season for soup, and lots of it. I don't generally use recipes, so I don't have much to post here. My strategy is to look at a bunch of different recipes for something that sounds good and then wing it keeping the parts that sound "right." I made up some really tasty mushroom soup to eat alongside a bratwurst, and since it's only slightly removed from the recipe I found online, I can actually recreate what I did. It's both good, and pretty quick and easy to make.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

3/4 pound chopped mushrooms1
1 onion, chopped
5Tbs butter (divided use)
2Tbs flour
2 C Stock2
1C milk
4Tbs chopped dill3
2Tbs paprika4
2Tbs lemon juice
salt/pepper, t of each
4oz sour cream

1I used half Cremini and half ordinary white ones. Honestly, the flavors aren't distinct enough to differentiate through the boldness of the soup. Unless you're going to throw in something partiuclarly exotic, one variety will be just fine.
2I used chicken because I had it, although beef might be better. Honestly doesn't matter much, though.
3For fuck's sake, buy fresh dill. Don't use a freeze dried version of the most prevalent herb. It cost me a buck-twenty five for a bunch and I only used half of it. I'll get creative with the other half.
4Two Tbs is a lot of paprika. If you're using particularly hot stuff (like me), you might want to scale it back. Or, use 1Tb hot and 1TB regular (sweet) stuff, which is what I'll do next time.

Saute your onions in 2Tbs of butter until clear. Throw in your mushrooms and let them cook until all of the liquid has evaporated. It took mine a good 10 minutes, easily. While this is happening make your roux, with 3/2 Tbs butter/flour. Once you get a nice caramel colored roux, stir in your stock (whisking briskly, of course), followed by the milk. Once the base gets heated up, add the Paprika, dill, salt/pepper and lemon juice. Once the mushrooms/onions are finished you can mix them in. Bring this to a simmer and give it 10-15 minutes so the flavors start to blend. At this temperature, you'll have to temper the sour cream to keep it from exploding when it hits the soup. Put your 4oz in a container of some sort, and add some soup to it 2Tbs at a time, stirring each addition so that the sour cream works up to a decent temperature (gradually, that's the key). It should take 3 or 4 additions, at which point you can add all of it back into your soup and it won't come apart. At this point, give it a good stirring, let it simmer for another 20 minutes or so and dig in. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and some of your remaining dill weed.

Feel free to ask questions if I'm not clear on something. Given the lack of obscenity and personality exposition, technical writing isn't exactly my forte.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »
Interesting flavor profile on that one, mixing the smooth of the dill and sour cream with the earthy of the shrooms, then lighting it all up with the acid in the lemon juice. I like it. :RJ:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
Cake Batter French Toast - Breakfast

Unfortunately, I don't really use a lot of measurements, so I'll just guess. All measurements are just estimates!

Flour 2/3-1 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup
Cinnamon 1/2 tbsp
Nutmeg 1/2 tbsp
3 eggs
Vanilla extract (splash)
Milk 1/2-2/3 cup
Melted butter (i use half a stick)

Combine dry ingredients (except flour). Melt butter, add to dry mix. Slowly add flour. Slowly add milk and vanilla. Consistency should be liquid but not watery. Place sliced bread in batter, let soak for 30 seconds. Place on buttered griddle or frying pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Serves really well with in-season berries or apple slices, fresh whipped cream and maple syrup. For best results, use thick sliced Brioche bread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:30:14 AM by snapple »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
Potato Soup with Rosemary - Soup

Potatoes, finely chopped (depends on how much you want to make)
3 cup of mirepoix (1 cup of finely chopped carrots, celery, onion)
Cream (I used about a pint)
Milk (maybe 1/2 a cup?)
Flour (maybe about 1/3 of a cup?)
4-6 Cup of Chicken stock
3 garlic cloves, minced
A few shots of whiskey
2tbsp of Rosemary
S&P to taste
Crushed red pepper to taste

In stock pot, using oil/butter, sautee garlic. Once garlic is about done, add in the mirepoix and sautee. Add whiskey. Once the mirepoix takes on the whiskey, add potatoes. Stir in potatoes. After a few minutes, add the chicken stock. This is also about where I add the seasonings. I taste as I go along with these recipes, so just make sure you have a spoon and taste as you go so you know if you need to add more of anything. In a separate bowl, combine milk/flour with a whisk. Add that to the soup. Add cream. let that shit hang out for a bit. After it feels like everything is going good (flavors are right, potatoes are cooked, etc.). Take that shit out, little by little, put it in a blender and puree it. Now, I don't like chunky potato soup, so I puree the shit out of it. So just puree as needed. Once its at the desired consistency, serve or allow to cool before storing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:05 AM »
Interesting that you use whisky, I like to add beer to mine.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »
I added a pretty decent amount of Yuengling lager to the chili I made last night.  Started it on the stove in the dutch oven, then put it in the oven for a few hours.  Killer.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
When I get about an hours free time, I'll type out my minestrone recipe.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
Interesting that you use whisky, I like to add beer to mine.

I was trying something different and really like how it turned out. Plus, I have some real shitty whisky that I hate and want to get rid of.  :lol

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »
Arj, what do you do for hollandaise? I'm having trouble keeping mine consistent. Some days I make it and it is the bomb. Other days it feels like it just doesn't work.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »
I'll be dead honest, Hollandaise is about practice. I can give you a rundown of technique and such, but it won't make shit from shinola of a difference until you make it a few (hundred) times.

Main keys though....

Egg yolks in a SS bowl over a boiling water bath with a touch of lemon juice, whip until they thicken. If you lift the whip and can make three passes with the drizzle and it holds up on the surface, you're about there.

Slowly emulsify the clarified butter into the egg yolk. If it gets too thick, add a touch of water and continue.

Season with more lemon juice as needed, s&p, and a touch of tobasco.

Good luck, it's one of the finer cooking techniques, and you'll feel like such a sexy god when you master it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
I'll be dead honest, Hollandaise is about practice. I can give you a rundown of technique and such, but it won't make shit from shinola of a difference until you make it a few (hundred) times.

Main keys though....

Egg yolks in a SS bowl over a boiling water bath with a touch of lemon juice, whip until they thicken. If you lift the whip and can make three passes with the drizzle and it holds up on the surface, you're about there.

Slowly emulsify the clarified butter into the egg yolk. If it gets too thick, add a touch of water and continue.

Season with more lemon juice as needed, s&p, and a touch of tobasco.

Good luck, it's one of the finer cooking techniques, and you'll feel like such a sexy god when you master it.

Yeah, and that's the problem. When I do get it right, I would drink that shit straight if I knew it wouldn't kill me/be completely detrimental to my health. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »
Ok, these aren't the fanciest things you'll ever find, but if you want a better than you should be able to whip up in 5 minutes meal, check these out.

Roast Beef Burners (sandwich)

What you need:

Onion Bagel - toasted
Roast Beef (from the deli section)
Pepper jack cheese
Topping:
     For level 47 ballers: Habby Horsey

as seen here:

For lesser creatins: prepared horseradish
     For wussmongers: Horseradish sauce

Directions:  Toast bagel.  Add roast beef, cheese, and topping.  Devour.

Improved Tomato soup (Soup)

One can good tomato soup (not concentrate, I like Progresso's Hearty tomato)
6-10 Garlic Texas Toast croutons
Parmesan cheese

Heat soup.  Put croutons in bowl.  Pour soup over croutons.  Sprinkle cheese over soup.  Eat.

I promise my next recipe will be fancier, but a lot of times I just don't feel like cooking after putting in 10 hours, and these are two of my go to things for quick and tasty meals.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:40:37 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
I'd be really curious to try that hot sauce. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
I love peppers and can tolerate a fair amount of heat, but habaneros are where I draw the line. I'll put half of one into a big pot of something to add heat, but in any quantity they're out my league.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
Potato Leek Gratin (Could be either a side or entrée; I'll let Snapple decide)

2 lb potatoes, thinly sliced
6 leeks, medium, sliced into 1/4" pieces
10-12 oz Brie cheese
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in boiling water for three minutes. Add leeks during last minute. Drain. Place potato leek mixture into shallow oven proof dish greased with butter, and cover with salt and pepper, then sliced cheese. Pour coconut milk over all. Bake 60-70 minutes at 375º F. Should look similar to this when done (not my recipe, but a similar one I found on someone's blog):

I wish those were in my mouth right now.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
I prefer my face not burning  :lol

I've been making so many shakes. We almost always have ice cream in the house, so I put ice cream, milk, and ice in the blender, along with any of these:

Marshmallows/Honey (to sweeten if need be, which is almost never in my preference)
Berries of all kind
Bananas
Pomegranate (though it can make the shake... crunchy.)
Chocolate syrup
Cinnamon
Cereal (tried it only once, just make sure you drink it up quick, can be really good)
Pear (some people don't like it)
Vanilla extract

Really any fruit or dessert topping. I've gone some weird directions with it.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
i love milkshakes so much!

i like to put chocolate syrup in vanilla ice cream with some kahlua and vodka.  ahhhhh.....  :hat
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »
What I learned a while back is that if you're just going to blend it up with milk and candy anyway, you can use A. store brand ice cream which is normally pretty awful, and B. low fat ice cream which is normally pretty awful. Less money, less artery hardening and its still a fucking milkshake. As for me, caramel and brownie ice cream with part of a pulverized butterfinger strewn in.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lucien

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »
Bluebell and only Bluebell ice cream.

Ice cream is the least healthy thing I put in them  :lol The milkshakes are generally pretty healthy actually.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »

Not a hotsauce, just a habanero and horseradish mixture.  https://www.defconsauces.com

I prefer my face not burning  :lol

It's called tolerance, and I got it in spades.  :biggrin:  I love that stuff.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »

Not a hotsauce, just a habanero and horseradish mixture.  https://www.defconsauces.com

Yeah, and it sounds tasty as hell. I might well check out the pony version of that, as I love hot and horseradish; just not quite habanero hot--those fuckers burn. Judging from their promotion it sounds pretty safe that even their "mild" versions still pack some good heat.

I also love how they put disclaimers all over the place:
Purchaser of DEFCON Extreme products hereby acknowledges the intense heat factor of this product and the element of danger if misused. This product is a complex blend of peppers, spices, and extracts. This product is not a sauce but a food additive and should be used as such only. In addition, it should be clearly understood that this is used strictly at the purchaser's risk.
These sauces are mildly spicy to downright lava hot. They are not to be used as anything other than a food sauce. We here at DEFCON Sauces will not be responsible for people using these products in strange and/or stupid ways.
Which are immediately followed by the promotion of their newest release DEFCON DEATHMATCH MKII which seems to promote irresponsibility in every conceivable way.  :rollin
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
Did I ever tell people the story about the U. of NM football players at the 2008 Firey Foods and BBQ trade show?  If I did, it was his DEFCON Zero that was the culprit.  If not, maybe I'll type it up sometime.  I've had beers with many in the hot sauce industry, including the DEFCON owner.  They are all great people.  I haven't had the pony, but I'm sure it will pack some punch.  His wing sauces are pretty good too.  If there is enough interest, I'll type up a big hot sauce/BBQ/similar post from my years in the industry.  I can help anyone with their hot sauce, BBQ, and what have you needs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:23 AM »

Even better.  I always like to try new sauces/mixtures/whatever. After discovering peppers.com I always indulge in something different. Right now I am using "You Can't Handle This Hot Sauce'.  My friend picked up for me the Kiss hot sauce Heaven's On Fire which has the naga jolokia pepper.  I usually add it to soups, especially Ramen. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 07:50:11 AM »
I've been making my own hot sauces at home and canning them.  Base recipe:

1 pound of peppers
1.5 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Adjust that for however much you intend to make, but keep that ratio.  Rough chop and bring to low boil in a saucepan, then reduce heat to low and simmer a half hour-ish (until all the solids have softened).  Let cool.  Puree all of it.  Back on to simmer on low another 20-30 minutes.  Let cool and RE-puree.  You can either take ALL of the sauce as is and use or strain through a strainer with cheesecloth (the latter will reduce your yield some).  Can it using normal hot water bath preparation methods or drink with a straw.

Not there are plenty of other things you can add for flavor depth.  Carrot, onion, garlic, fruits (mangoes work well with habanero sauces, of course), whatever you may like.  Just rough chop those and add to the mix at the beginning, when first cooking them.

Beware, if you are using particularly hot peppers, it WILL put particulate pepper matter into the air and you may get a little cough-y and hack-y.  Proper ventilation in the area will certainly be appreciated.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
Hey Coz, I'd be curious to see how different vinegars would work there. Maybe if you pulled something with a bit more sweetness like an apple-cider vinegar or white balsamic or rice wine vinegar.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
One batch I made I did use a little cider vinegar (as I didn't have enough white.  It was okay and did alter it a little, but I didn't use all cider vinegar, so not a fair evaluation.

I think it certainly would add an interesting flavor profile.  I have always relied on carrots for some sweetness, but maybe the rice vinegar would be the way to go.  I got a wok for Christmas and just bought some seasoned rice vinegar to use in some of the stuff we made.  The vinegar had a really good taste and wasa little sweet, so that may be a good one to try next time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
I think rice vinegar would be the trick as well. It does have the sweetness, but won't have the extraenneous flavors that cider or white balsamic do to mask the pepper flavor. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the higher end rice vinegar I used to use a few years back, shit was silky as fuck.

Edit: Marukan

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »
Most of my favorite hot sauces use lime juice as the acid agent.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
Yeah, that's a natural fit. I would think the shelf life would be longer with vinegar though, just saying.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
If shelf life is a question, you're not using them enough  :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
Touche... :lol