Falling Into Infinity + Scenes From A Memory
Scenes From A Memory + Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence + Train Of Thought
Train Of Thought + Octavarium
Octavarium + Systematic Chaos
Systematic Chaos + Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Black Clouds & Silver Linings + A Dramatic Turn Of Events
A Dramatic Turn Of Events + Dream Theater

Author Topic: Your Favorite Back-To-Back DT Studio Albums  (Read 11066 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: Your Favorite Back-To-Back DT Studio Albums
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »
2 pairs?  Sweet!

First choice is SFAM->6.  My very close second is ADTOE->DT12.

Yep, same here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »
My #3 choice would be A Dramatic Turn Of Events > DT12 because it's two back on form albums after a couple of DT -by-numbers albums

ADTOE is a ton more "DT by numbers" than SC, and probably BCASL too. I think ADTOE is actually their safest album yet. I'm glad DT12 got a little bit more adventurous again.

I agree that ADTOE is fairly "safe" - but it got away from that whole long songs for the sake of it , instrumental sections that go on longer than they need to and solo trade-offs that were becoming really boring ( imo ).

Plus - I think making ADTOE fairly safe was a deliberate move to say " we're still the same band " after MM joined.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »
My #3 choice would be A Dramatic Turn Of Events > DT12 because it's two back on form albums after a couple of DT -by-numbers albums

ADTOE is a ton more "DT by numbers" than SC, and probably BCASL too. I think ADTOE is actually their safest album yet. I'm glad DT12 got a little bit more adventurous again.

I agree that ADTOE is fairly "safe" - but it got away from that whole long songs for the sake of it , instrumental sections that go on longer than they need to and solo trade-offs that were becoming really boring ( imo ).

Plus - I think making ADTOE fairly safe was a deliberate move to say " we're still the same band " after MM joined.

Outcry's instrumental section exceeds them on instrumental wankery. It's something like 1/3 of the song, a massive chunk right in the middle that doesn't fit the song imo. It's like the song is pregnant with TDOE
And BITS has as much padded back to back soloing as SC/BCASL, with unison, guitar solo, key solo, continuum solo, unison. Not really any different to BCASL at all, and it's not particularly memorable.
LNF has back to back solos too, although the backing progression and riffing are much more unique in that one, so it's not what I'd call the "cut and paste" approach. But nonetheless, back to back solos.
While the album had more variety in structures, it really didn't stray that far from the solo tradeoffs of its predecessors. DT12 was a definite push towards tighter structures though.

But I agree that ADTOE was an intentional approach to keep it safe with the new lineup. But regardless, it's a reason why I find ADTOE to be their most dull of the RR albums. DT12 was much improved for me in that regard.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
"DT by numbers" doesn't have a negative ring to my ears and it doesn't seem like viable argument to me when it comes to criticizing DT's music. I mean, you don't like the typical traits that characterize the band? A huge reason why I'm into DT is "excessive wankery" (ES, TDOE, Outcry, EM - all big favorites of mine), unisons, solo tradeoffs and so on. These are some core elements of their sound. I find most of them well-crafted, exciting and memorable. In this regard, while ADTOE might be more typical on paper than the two albums that preceded it, it definitely sounds more inspired -thus fresh- to me. God forbid they actually reinvented themselves every second album.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
I don't get why people complain about DT's occasional wankfests.  Considering who they are and their abilities, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any self-indulgent moments. 

Offline moof

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »
Images-awake

Fii-scenes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »

And BITS has as much padded back to back soloing as SC/BCASL, with unison, guitar solo, key solo, continuum solo, unison. Not really any different to BCASL at all, and it's not particularly memorable.

That is not true at all.  Bridges in the Sky's instrumental section is short (by DT standards) and to the point; you never feel like it goes on for too long, probably because all three solos are pretty short (JR's back to back solos are around 20 seconds COMBINED).  Hell, that whole section is only around 90 seconds total, and it feels shorter than that.  Contrast that to the one in A Nightmare to Remember that is nearly three minutes long, yet feels longer.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »
"DT by numbers" doesn't have a negative ring to my ears and it doesn't seem like viable argument to me when it comes to criticizing DT's music. I mean, you don't like the typical traits that characterize the band? A huge reason why I'm into DT is "excessive wankery" (ES, TDOE, Outcry, EM - all big favorites of mine), unisons, solo tradeoffs and so on. These are some core elements of their sound. I find most of them well-crafted, exciting and memorable. In this regard, while ADTOE might be more typical on paper than the two albums that preceded it, it definitely sounds more inspired -thus fresh- to me. God forbid they actually reinvented themselves every second album.

My feelings spoken better than I ever could! Thank you.

Yup!  :tup

I don't get why people complain about DT's occasional wankfests.  Considering who they are and their abilities, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any self-indulgent moments.

I'd actually be disappointed and would probably loose interest in the band. Viva le virtuosity!

On topic: I picked SFAM-6° then ADToE-DT12
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline krands85

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 09:36:46 AM »
:tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:31 AM »

That is not true at all.  Bridges in the Sky's instrumental section is short (by DT standards) and to the point; you never feel like it goes on for too long, probably because all three solos are pretty short (JR's back to back solos are around 20 seconds COMBINED).  Hell, that whole section is only around 90 seconds total, and it feels shorter than that.  Contrast that to the one in A Nightmare to Remember that is nearly three minutes long, yet feels longer.

How long a section "feels" is entirely subjective of course (although personally I slightly prefer the soloing section in ANTR anyway, especially with JP's rock style in that one). But granted, it is a longer section by a fair percentage. Structurally, it's very much in the vein of that late MP era of DT though.

We also have Outcry with a 4 minute instrumental section right in the middle, and the instrumental section in the middle of BAI is 5 and a half minutes by my count. For songs that are around 12 minutes each, those are pretty massive chunks.
You could also fairly point out some very large sections of BCASL too. I'm really not looking to add it all up here! :lol

I don't mean to argue that ADTOE is as bad overall as BCASL though, as I have no doubt that if you added it all up BCASL would come off the worse compared to any other DT album. I was just pointing out that ADTOE isn't as much of a departure in that regard as people seem to think. Better, yes, but it's still very much there.
DT12 is a significant change though, no doubt. Their most concise album in a loooooong time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
Well, Outcry kind of stands out as THE song with the major wankery instrumental section on ADTOE, but while something like Breaking All Illusions has a long one, too, it is fairly different for them, as they are more or less jamming off of a vibe for the majority of it, instead of taking turns soloing, and the one solo that is in there, JP's, really stands out in their catalogue, since how many of JP's guitar solos have that kind of bluesy feel while having that subdued of a musical backdrop?  I can't think of any similar to it, so it sounds rather unique in the context of their history, rather than sounding like just another solo.  I remember hearing that for the first time and thinking, "Wow, you never hear DT do something like this!!"

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
I hate to be that guy, but Images and Words/Awake by far, followed by A Dramatic Turn of Events/Dream Theater.

I'm that kind of guy, too  :lol  My close third is the obvious SFaM->6DOIT.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
I hate to be that guy, but Images and Words/Awake by far, followed by A Dramatic Turn of Events/Dream Theater.

I'm that kind of guy, too  :lol  My close third is the obvious SFaM->6DOIT.

A lot of us are that guy.  It's hard to argue with I & W and Awake being two of their best. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 06:01:14 AM »
I didn't notice I could vote two options. The other would have been WDADU/IAW.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
Gotta sig this! :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
I didn't notice I could vote two options. The other would have been WDADU/IAW.

I made the same mistake!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »
Voted 1st 2 and last 2.

WDADU and I&W were musical bliss for me at the time.

ADTOE and ST have reignited the flame.

Still, they are all (except SC which is half a great album) great albums.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
It was pretty easy to choose the first one: ADTOE and DT12

I struggled a bit with the second but ended up going with 8V and SC.  I can't necessarily say those are my favorite but those are the first two DT albums that I liked every song right off the bat.  Usually that doesn't mean they are better songs, just more accessible but for the purposes of this poll I went with that. 

For me though, ADTOE and DT12 are the most consistently awesome sounding albums so they are my true favorite back to back albums. 

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
Systematic Chaos + Black Clouds & Silver Linings - 4 votes (2,1%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings + A Dramatic Turn Of Events - 1 vote (0,5%)

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »
I went for Awake+FII and ADTOE+DT12. I&W+Awake was a close third. Most other choices have albums that are pretty distant on my list, like SDOIT+ToT for example, or 8VM+SC. Awake and FII are very close in quality for me, about 4th place. ADTOE and DT12 are maybe a couple places off, but I like DT12 better than either I&W and Awake, and ADTOE I like about as much as those two.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »
Awake -> Falling Into Infinity, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence-> Train of Thought
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2013, 05:03:35 AM »
Images and Words - Awake, no doubt.
This, forever and ever, amen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »

This........................and this

ADTOE and ST have reignited the flame.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »
Six Degrees and ToT + ADTOE and DT12. Close third is 8V & SC, then I&W and Awake. Needless to say, it doesn't reflect my album-to-album standing.