Author Topic: Will cats become a perfect competitor to the house dog?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Will cats become a perfect competitor to the house dog?
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »
I've never been a cat person. All the ones I've dealt with have been moochers. They come and go as they please and expect to be fed. They've all been ninjas and like to keep to themselves. My girlfriend's cat isn't so bad. It was actually letting me play him for a while until he decided to go hide somewhere for two hours.

Here is my theory. We have been domesticating dogs and for thousands of years and have created the ultimate house pet. Cats are late to the game. Is it possible that in a few hundred years time, we will selectively breed cats into the same type of animal? I don't mean create a dog version of a cat. I don't think that really likely given that dogs were first tamed to do work for us (most of those genes are still very apparent). However, are we slowly breeding cats to be an awesome pet that will be a great dog alternative?

Crazy idea/thought, I know.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Will cats become a perfect competitor to the house dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
 :millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
I don't understand this. I wouldn't want a cat to possess any of the traits of a dog. Dogs are terrible. But if that's what I wanted, I'd just get a dog.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »
Cats have been great pets for a long time, it's just that a lot of people don't actually take care of them properly, and thus they become little assholes.
I have 4 friends who have cats, and 3/4 of those cats are completely awesome, little attention sluts. They'll jump up on my lap, nibble my nose, and cozy up and take naps with me; they'll play with me, and occasionally they'll disappear to do cat things. The only reason the 4th one is an asshole is because my friend was really rough with him as a kid, and his friends abused the thing. That and they overfeed the shit out of it and it has cat diabetes  :lol (This seriously sends me into giggles every time I say it out loud).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »
I've never been a cat person. All the ones I've dealt with have been moochers. They come and go as they please and expect to be fed. They've all been ninjas and like to keep to themselves. My girlfriend's cat isn't so bad. It was actually letting me play him for a while until he decided to go hide somewhere for two hours.

Here is my theory. We have been domesticating dogs and for thousands of years and have created the ultimate house pet. Cats are late to the game. Is it possible that in a few hundred years time, we will selectively breed cats into the same type of animal? I don't mean create a dog version of a cat. I don't think that really likely given that dogs were first tamed to do work for us (most of those genes are still very apparent). However, are we slowly breeding cats to be an awesome pet that will be a great dog alternative?

Crazy idea/thought, I know.

I've thought about this too actually. I think that it can maybe happen. Look at the Savannah cat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(cat) apparently it's has a temperament similar to a dog.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
I don't think people would want such cats as pets. Part of the appeal of cats is that they still possess their primal instincts. That's what makes them interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »
I don't think people would want such cats as pets. Part of the appeal of cats is that they still possess their primal instincts. That's what makes them interesting.

Agreed. And as blob said, why would I want a cat to be like a dog? I'd get a dog for that.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
That's why I love cats.  Their innate independence, knowing if they seek affection from me it's coz *they* want to.  The "wildness" no one's been successful at breeding out, yet...like El Barto said, that's what makes them so interesting.

I love dogs equally -- just for different reasons.  I wouldn't want a cat that was like a dog.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »
I watched a National Geographic program on cats a few years back. Essentially it concluded that cats are not domesticated nor will they ever be. They just tolerate humans because its an easy source of food and shelter.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 10:33:03 AM »
I watched a National Geographic program on cats a few years back. Essentially it concluded that cats are not domesticated nor will they ever be. They just tolerate humans because its an easy source of food and shelter.

That's just flat out wrong. Given enough time, humans can make any animal behave however they want them to. There are huge eels that have been completely tamed over the centuries that purify drinking water. They children in the communities play with them as pets. Elk have been domesticated by ice people. There are dozens of species that humans have shaped for specific purposes.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
ANY animal?

Chino, you must dedicate your and your kin's generations to domesticate rhinos for my family to ride on. For this, we will domesticate blue whales for yours. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, LET IT BE DONE!  :metal :metal :angel:

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

That's just flat out wrong. Given enough time, humans can make any animal behave however they want them to. There are huge eels that have been completely tamed over the centuries that purify drinking water. They children in the communities play with them as pets. Elk have been domesticated by ice people. There are dozens of species that humans have shaped for specific purposes.

I'm just relaying what the program concluded. When i get a moment ill try to Dig up the shows title or link. It was National Geographic so im sure i can find it. Cars put up with us because we make things easy for them. I don't know or even care if its true or not. But I'd be willing to be cats never get to the level of becoming 'like' dogs. They are just too different of an animal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
I have three cats all with different personalities and one seems to have dog personality.

And honestly, a cat is a better house pet than a dog because they can take care of themselves way better than a dog so I believe a cat is already the ultimate house pet.

Offline sueño

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
I have three cats all with different personalities and one seems to have dog personality.

And honestly, a cat is a better house pet than a dog because they can take care of themselves way better than a dog so I believe a cat is already the ultimate house pet.

^^^ This.  As much as I love dogs, I don't know how I could have one really fit into my life.  I love that cats are okay with you being away for a couple of days -- leave enough food and water and they're good.  You need to find someone to care for your dog for even 24 hours.

Plus, cats are extra funny because they *think* they're so cool all the time -- that when they're being completely silly, it's hysterical.  They always have that look of, "What?  What you lookin' at?  I meant to do it..."   :loser:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
I don't understand this. I wouldn't want a cat to possess any of the traits of a dog. Dogs are terrible.

:hifive:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
I need my cat to take care of my dog! If she could speak she'd tell you that she's already won the competition.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »

^^^ This.  As much as I love dogs, I don't know how I could have one really fit into my life.  I love that cats are okay with you being away for a couple of days -- leave enough food and water and they're good.  You need to find someone to care for your dog for even 24 hours.

Plus, cats are extra funny because they *think* they're so cool all the time -- that when they're being completely silly, it's hysterical.  They always have that look of, "What?  What you lookin' at?  I meant to do it..."   :loser:

What if you could eventually train a cat to feed your dog while you're away?

Offline sueño

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »
Any cat I've ever had with a dog would probably be happy to let said dog starve.  While looking at it disdainfully.

I had a home with two pit bulls and two cats.  The cat was the first and oldest...and he was the boss of everyone.  Friendly, tolerant but definitely not caring if any of the other three would simply disappear.  :)

Sad day when Smokey died (after 18 years)...   :'(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »

First you'd need the cat to care that the dog is out of food but otherwise it would be easy.

My cat already knows when the dog's food is empty and will even come and tell us about it when she decides we should know. But she's not always as worried about his food as hers. I guess I have got the battle half won.

If I installed a dispenser that could easily be operated by lever she probably would feed him. Since he's the type of breed that only eats when he's hungry and not because it's available I wouldn't even need to worry about him if she overdid it. What a cool thought!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »

First you'd need the cat to care that the dog is out of food but otherwise it would be easy.

Not really. As long as the cat gets a reward, you could do it. It wouldn't care that the dog was fed, but rather that there was an incentive for the creature to do so.

:P I'm not being entirely serious btw.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
I don't understand this. I wouldn't want a cat to possess any of the traits of a dog. Dogs are terrible. But if that's what I wanted, I'd just get a dog.
Bingo.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »
Not really. As long as the cat gets a reward, you could do it. It wouldn't care that the dog was fed, but rather that there was an incentive for the creature to do so.

The bolded text speaks more to your not being a cat owner than even your opening statement. Cats don't respond to rewards unless they decide to care. I know of no consistent way to reward a cat for good behaviour because they can be so fickle about what constitutes a sufficient incentive.  :)

:P I'm not being entirely serious btw.

You know, I didn't really think you were.  ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »

I don't think so, for the reason that breeding for the most part just emphasized already existing behavior. Dogs come from wolves, which are herd animals with a clear hierarchical structure. So, from that starting point it was reasonably easy to mold wolves into treating humans as the alpha dog and have them stick around you and protect the herd.
Cats are naturally loners on the other hand. I don't think any kind of breeding would get that out of their system.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »
I think the word you're looking for is pack. Wolves and dogs are pack animals with a complex social order that promotes cooperation for everything from hunting, protection and breeding.

Cats are also very social creatures with just as complex of a social order--one that promote cooperation for every BUT hunting. I think that is an important distinction that greatly affects their behavior and human reaction to them.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
How could cats ever compete with houses, dog?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
Cats are fine the way they are. Seeing a cat act like a dog would be weird. All cats are moody pricks, but it's still down to the way you train and treat them. I'm pretty sure my cat Pearl wants to fuck me, but even she has her off days.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
I would like this thread better if it was just titled Will cats become perfect? and then Chino went on scientifically how cats could perhaps evolve ala planet of the apes and take us over and our kin would all look like this guy:

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »

All true. Except my cats are huuuuge attention whores and they get mad when I go away. My female cat especially will hide and never come out when my friends come over to feed her... and she normally loves them.

But yeah, the "cattitude" is part of what makes them so awesome.

How could cats ever compete with houses, dog?

:clap:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »

...and be quite cold at the same time. They see us humans as simple peasants, I don't like that. Here's proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtYm2yPRGSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg

Clearly douchebags!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:49:38 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sueño

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:31 AM »
Why so offended at the perceived attitude of an animal?   ???

We humans have a way of projecting our own feelings on to animals; it's not that serious.  I admire the independent nature of cats but I'm not sure they (or any animal) "view" us as peasants, kings, or anything else of human ranking.

Maybe food at some point...   :angel:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:18 AM »
 :rollin, that video where the cat knocks the bottle down, looks the camera and yawns is so perfect. And dog friend vs. cat friend is always amazing  :tup
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Cable

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Cats are late to the domestication game? I know ancient Egypt domesticated and worshiped cats, and were domesticated apparently before that...? ???
---

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
True

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »
ANY animal?

Chino, you must dedicate your and your kin's generations to domesticate rhinos for my family to ride on. For this, we will domesticate blue whales for yours. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, LET IT BE DONE!  :metal :metal :angel:

Better hurry guys, both are disappearing fast.  :(