Author Topic: Death / Control Denied  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
Death / Control Denied
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:57:33 AM »
I didn't see a thread devoted to Death or Chuck Schuldiner in a quick search so here you go. I've been listening to a lot of them lately, especially Symbolic, though I've grown to appreciate the early stuff too. Starting to get into Spiritual Healing, Living Monstrosity is  :metal.

I know there must be plenty of other fans here, so sound off!

Offline dparrott

Re: Death / Control Denied
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
I lost interest in death metal years ago, but I still love Human.  It was a "first love" of that genre.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
Death are one of the best bands ever, and I love every album Chuck Schuldiner's put out  :tup
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:35:20 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
In your absence, Doc, an A-Z index for band threads has been stickied. Death is included.

That said, I enjoy the earlier albums. Every album CS became a little bit screechier, which was a trend I didn't care for. I prefer the growl to the screech. Furthermore, I was a big Bill Andrews fan. Spiritual Healing was where it was at for me.

And since there's a new thread, I'll throw this out there since it kicks ass (and I was likely at the show a day before or after once they got to Dallas).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY1lZtQZWU
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:43:16 AM »
Hail Death :metal
One of the best death metal bands, I love their every album, especially Symbolic.
It sucks that Chuck had to leave us that eary :( RIP Chuck
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
I really like Human.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
In your absence, Doc, an A-Z index for band threads has been stickied. Death is included.

That said, I enjoy the earlier albums. Every album CS became a little bit screechier, which was a trend I didn't care for. I prefer the growl to the screech. Furthermore, I was a big Bill Andrews fan. Spiritual Healing was where it was at for me.

And since there's a new thread, I'll throw this out there since it kicks ass (and I was likely at the show a day before or after once they got to Dallas).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY1lZtQZWU

Sorry about that, man.  I'll look for that thread for now on before I create a new band thread.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »
Apology not necessary. I was pointing it out because it's just damned useful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »
I'm no Death Metal fan at all, because of the vocals, but I do like Control Denied and the Sound Of Perseverance album. Chuck was certainly a talented guy.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
The Sound of Perseverance is incredible, as is Spiritual Healing. Having checked out the other Death albums, but I know that I should do so soon.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
Definitely check out Symbolic. Listening to that album is almost a religious experience.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »
Definitely check out Symbolic. Listening to that album is almost a religious experience.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »

I think he changed his vocals to fit the Death's evolving sound.  In the beginning he had those awesome sickly growling vocals that almost sounded like he was vomiting into the microphone.  As Death evolved into more of a progressive/technical thrashy sound, the higher pitched screams fit the music better.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
The Sound of Perseverance was the album that really launched me to loving the entire metal genre when I just started getting into it and remembering getting excited while listening to it because I had never heard anything like it. One of the greatest albums of all time imo.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »
That's definitely a great album too. I think my favorite song on it is Flesh and the Power it Holds. The cover of Painkiller is also awesome.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »
In my humble opinion, Chuck Schuldiner was one of those few guys that never put out a bad album in his life. I'm not personally as fond of the first two Death albums as I am of the rest of his material, but I recognize the huge impact both of them had on the genre and how even if they aren't -my- thing, they're still ultimately great albums.

That being said, Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance are both among the greatest albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Both are complete masterpieces.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »
Human is, IMO, the most perfect death metal album I've ever listened to. Not a bad song on it.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »
The only death metal band I like. Wish there was more death metal out there that was as melodic, as progressive, and as interesting. ITP to TSoP are just heavenly in my eyes, although Death were barely death metal at that point (which is probably why I like those albums so much). No blastbeats, either, thank Chuck.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
Death either never used blast beats or barely ever used 'em anyway. A blast beat, as far as I know, is generally when you use the bass drum, snare, and a cymbal in conjunction to create a pattern where one of those elements is played at a 16th note pulse and the other two are played at 8th note pulses (but alternatingly so one is always played on the up beat while the other is always played on the down beat.) Basically, fast double bass drum parts are not automatically blast beats.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline adace

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
Any love for Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy? Great albums imo, but still not as great as the ones that followed.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »
Every Death album was great, but I feel like Chuck took it to the next level every single album, and rocked the Death Metal scene continually, always evolving it and shaping it.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »
Death either never used blast beats or barely ever used 'em anyway. A blast beat, as far as I know, is generally when you use the bass drum, snare, and a cymbal in conjunction to create a pattern where one of those elements is played at a 16th note pulse and the other two are played at 8th note pulses (but alternatingly so one is always played on the up beat while the other is always played on the down beat.) Basically, fast double bass drum parts are not automatically blast beats.

Yeah, I'm saying I like the fact that Death never used blast beats.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
Any love for Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy? Great albums imo, but still not as great as the ones that followed.

The song Pull the Plug is epic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 05:07:33 AM »
Death was just the perfect death metal band, no other band matches them in the genre IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 06:07:58 AM »
Death was just the perfect death metal band, no other band matches them in the genre IMO.

Spot on.

I can't wait for whenever the second Control Denied album comes out! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
Listened to Sound Of Perseverance couple days ago. It was pretty good. Where next?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
Backwards, Symbolic.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
Backwards, Symbolic.

^ This. Symbolic ranks as one of my all-time favorite albums ever, if not my absolute favorite.

Chuck was the Stanley Kubrick of metal, imo.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »
The only death metal band I like. Wish there was more death metal out there that was as melodic, as progressive, and as interesting.

There is Atheist, Edge of Sanity... Melodeath albums like Heartwork and The Gallery too...
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »
The only death metal band I like. Wish there was more death metal out there that was as melodic, as progressive, and as interesting. ITP to TSoP are just heavenly in my eyes, although Death were barely death metal at that point (which is probably why I like those albums so much). No blastbeats, either, thank Chuck.

I take it you've never heard Opeth, or any of the bands in the Gothenburg melo-death scene like early In Flames, At The Gates, or Dark Tranquility?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
LOVE Death but have never understood the love of Human.

I love Human, but I don't see why it's any better than Individual Thought Patterns or Symbolic. Even Spiritual Healing has songs that I like better than any song on Human. Never understood it's status as an all-time classic, not because I dislike it (I actually love it), but I don't think it separates itself from the other great Death albums. I've also always felt the Human songs were a bit samey, like the album is in 1 style and gear the entire time (outside of a couple moments on the last couple tracks).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:45:42 PM by XB0BX »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 06:15:03 AM »
LOVE Death but have never understood the love of Human.

I love Human, but I don't see why it's any better than Individual Thought Patterns or Symbolic. Even Spiritual Healing has songs that I like better than any song on Human. Never understood it's status as an all-time classic, not because I dislike it (I actually love it), but I don't think it separates itself from the other great Death albums. I've also always felt the Human songs were a bit samey, like the album is in 1 style and gear the entire time (outside of a couple moments on the last couple tracks).

While I think Spiritual Healing is grossly underrated, I can totally understand the love for Human. Part of the attraction, I think, is how it combines the technical prowess and lyrical intelligence of the latter Death albums with the raw intensity of the earlier albums.

Moreover, Human came out at the right place at the right time and also had one of the most immediately impressive line-ups in the band's history. Chuck Schuldiner plus Metal's Top Bassist plus half of Cynic? That isn't to say that it's the best Death line-up (I think both line-ups on ITP and TSoP are stronger units), but it's an impressive roster all the same.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea