Author Topic: Use of explicit language at DTF  (Read 7624 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Use of explicit language at DTF
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »
Lately, threads that should be perfectly SFW are being flagged by my company's IT for offensive content. The company I work for has no problem with employees browsing the web on breaks or else occasionally, to take mental breaks, but has a pretty rigorous internet filter installed.

Today, I can't get into the NFL thread. While the thread is usually perfectly SFW, I guess Barto's nickname for Dez Bryant set something off, and work now considers the site to be "Adult Material".

I think random offensive / explicit language is becoming a problem here for me. I'm not calling for the forum to go completely PC, but I will say that I do get kinda annoyed when I open (or can't open) what should be a perfectly SFW thread,  because a poster has decided to drop a random f-bomb. It feels like that is happening all the time.

DTF is generally a place I feel comfortable browsing on breaks from work, but I think it'd be helpful if we toned it down a bit.

EDIT: Moved from Forum Suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:20:45 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Use of explicit language at DTF
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
There's a rule against repeated and excessive language, but not against language altogether from my understanding (and there is plenty of stuff of that nature that is outright banned for being excessive for the reasons the rules state).

But no offense, this sounds like it's your problem, rather than DTF's problem. I don't see any problem with the language used here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »
It could very well be my problem. Hopefully this discussion will help determine that  :P I suspect most people will be against me, though.

For reference,

Quote from:  "Forum Rules"
5. Keep your language reasonable. Repeated and inappropriate usage of explicit language is forbidden. Violators will be warned before any serious action is taken. No racially offensive posts. No posts that are derogatory toward gender or sexual preference. No posts that use slang terms for any race, sexual preference, or religious background. Includes signatures.

Now, I didn't "report" EB's post in the NFL thread because I'm not sure if it really is against the rules, and I don't want to be a gadfly to the forum.

But is it reasonable (or appropriate) to use explicit language to refer to an NFL player?

Maybe lots of bad words should be able to fly (depending on usage), but certainly not those which wouldn't clear the airwaves?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Upon rereading the rule, and checked out El Barto's posts (since I don't ever read that thread), while it's certainly not necessary to use that language, I personally find it reasonable. But that's a subjective and arbitrary assessment, just as the rule itself is.

And I think that's the issue here for me, that it is a subjective issue based on context, so it's hard to try to draw a line, or in this case, try to redefine that line. In general, I feel swearing is mostly fine unless it's used as strong language aimed towards someone personally etc (like if I said "F you"). I've been told off by a mod once for tamer words used in a similar context, which was justified, so it is very judgement based.

But in Barto's particularly context, I don't think it was excessive as it relates to the forum rules. Just imo of course.

Is this not what the forum filter in the options is intended for? I have no idea what words it filters, since I've never used it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
I'm not sure. I personally don't object to EB's posting style, but I think we do generally keep things SFW around here, so I'm also kind of wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and maybe if others think we should tone it down a bit.

Maybe the filter function would help me. I'll check at report back.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
Hmm... I DO have the filter on.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
So the filter allows the F word etc?

Because if that's the case, I think that should be rectified. That would be the best solution for everyone. Isn't that what the filter is supposed to be for?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
Personally, I would prefer it if people used more tame language on the forum all the time.  But I'm not going to enforce that because I realize that isn't how most poeple talk, and I don't think that would be reasonable.  But that being said, a lot of times, most of the folks here are pretty reasonable and may choose to voluntarily dial it back a bit if they know it is an issue.  I think this should actually be posted in GD so more people can see it and chime in.

As far as the filter, I will try to take a look at and adjust the filter settings if that will help.  It will take me a bit of time before I can get to it, but will try to remember to do it soon.  But I'm not sure if that will help because I don't know if your company's filter would still pick up the language.  Even if our filter changes certain words, they are still there in the code, and I don't know enough about how filters work to know whether yours would still pick it up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
Personally, I would prefer it if people used more tame language on the forum all the time.  But I'm not going to enforce that because I realize that isn't how most poeple talk, and I don't think that would be reasonable.  But that being said, a lot of times, most of the folks here are pretty reasonable and may choose to voluntarily dial it back a bit if they know it is an issue.  I think this should actually be posted in GD so more people can see it and chime in.

As far as the filter, I will try to take a look at and adjust the filter settings if that will help.  It will take me a bit of time before I can get to it, but will try to remember to do it soon.  But I'm not sure if that will help because I don't know if your company's filter would still pick up the language.  Even if our filter changes certain words, they are still there in the code, and I don't know enough about how filters work to know whether yours would still pick it up.

I believe the filter works entirely server side, so the page that loads to the user shouldn't include any of the replaced words in the code, which is why when it's quoted and posted, it remains censored, because the text is being completely replaced to the user.

I'm surprised the filter doesn't catch more of these words, since that's what it's for, not for swapping out random phrases to kill our fun. :neverusethis:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »
Good points. I wouldn't mind this getting moved to GD at all. Hopefully it doesn't backfire there  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
I like how it is currently. We have plenty of freedom in our word choice, and no one seems to be abusing that as far as I see. As for PC's problem, I'd agree that the filter should be looked into.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
I like how it is currently. We have plenty of freedom in our word choice, and no one seems to be abusing that as far as I see. As for PC's problem, I'd agree that the filter should be looked into.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
PC  I have the same issue with numerous threads on here..i can read page after page than get to a page whereas someone says something and I get the company site block due to adult material
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
So basically this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf9erulmi_4

PC = Sam Elliot
DTF = Jeff Bridges

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
I think as long as we keep it to a minimum and don't direct it at someone specific here on the forum we should be mature enough to let certain words fly.  Though I do my best in my life to not curse, sometimes they do slip out from time to time.  Calling someone a fucking asshole is different than saying i ate the whole pizza because it was fucking delicious.  Just my opinion.   

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »
My opinion...
If you are on a message board in a place that its problem for someone to see an f bomb on your screen, its probably a good idea not to be on the site in that environment. Just my 2 cents.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »

PC = Sam Elliot
DTF = Jeff Bridges

snapple likes this.

Also, you're on this at work. Maybe you should be working instead of reading about the NFL?

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »

PC = Sam Elliot
DTF = Jeff Bridges

snapple likes this.

Also, you're on this at work. Maybe you should be working instead of reading about the NFL?

Browses during  breaks. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
On company equipment? I don't know, I just feel like that what PC does during his breaks shouldn't affect how I post on here.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
My opinion...
If you are on a message board in a place that its problem for someone to see an f bomb on your screen, its probably a good idea not to be on the site in that environment. Just my 2 cents.

That's kinda my point. My place of work has no problem with people occasionally taking breaks, and in fact recognizes it as something good for productivity overall. However, when people start dropping bombs, it sets the filters off to think the site is something other than what it really is -- which is a generally SFW place. Looks like wkiml has a similar thing going on.

PC = Sam Elliot
DTF = Jeff Bridges

snapple likes this.

Hm... maybe you should talk to my boss? That wouldn't bode well for the department-wide pick 'em and fantasy football league we have going, though  :justjen

Not like I spend all day on DTF. I do alot myself little breaks here and there, though. Overall, it works well. Let's not turn this into a thread where we sling accusations around. Off topic and unnecessary. Thanks.

On company equipment? I don't know, I just feel like that what PC does during his breaks shouldn't affect how I post on here.

The whole point of the thread now is just to encourage discussion. No need to act like I'm taking your freedom away.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
I'm discussing. I think it's a dumb thing to want to change because you want to be able to take breaks at work and choose this website.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
I'm discussing. I think it's a dumb thing to want to change because you want to be able to take breaks at work and choose this website.

Well, by putting this feeler out, I was curious if more people would report having a similar problem. I don't want the entire forum to change just to me accomodate me. Let me be clear on that.

As far as it being "dumb", though, if this was an issue for many other posters (*which, it looks like that isn't going to be the case), I'd imagine that the proposed changed wouldn't be percieved as "dumb". As the users get older and the average user is a full time worker rather than a college or high school student, it's only natural that the forum would shift toward the type of setting that works best for everyone.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
I don't think it's a dumb thing to bring up at all, it's a very sensible area of discussion.

I think the balance should definitely be in using the filter, but of course the filter needs to be comprehensive enough. If f*** is blocked, but f***er or f***ing aren't, then personally I'd say it should be a bit better, so that those who do have work filters can still browse.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
???  Why should fish, fisher, and fishing be blocked?  I'm not following you, Rich.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »
In addition to people who have restricted internet usage like PC, there might be some sensitive people who just prefer not to see profanity, and having that censoring option would make DTF more comfortable for them. No reason not to have a mere option to toggle on or off.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
I admit to being a prolific user of swear words,

But compared to how am I in the real world, here I'm as pure as the driven snow. Honestly, in this day and age, if the word "fuck" bothers you-and I'm not addressing the notion of swearing causing issues with workplace filters, I'm talking about the notion that Swearing Is Bad And You Should Feel Bad-you really need to get off the internet. People swear. And you can be crueler, fouler, or more evil and never trip a filter.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
???  Why should fish, fisher, and fishing be blocked?  I'm not following you, Rich.
Maybe he's an aqautic rights activist. Stop being so judgmental bosk. Some of us don't like the abuse fish take in modern language.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

I thought he meant fart, farter, and farting. I can see how that would be offensive. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »
In addition to people who have restricted internet usage like PC, there might be some sensitive people who just prefer not to see profanity, and having that censoring option would make DTF more comfortable for them. No reason not to have a mere option to toggle on or off.

That's a pretty good idea.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
Well if no one else will acknowledge the sheer brilliance, I will! :metal  :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
I would still contend this is a sfw site despite the occasional curse word you may encounter. I mean if someone is looking that intensely at your screen to notice an F bomb, they are way too locked in. I have not seen many posts in all my years here that were so laden with swear words it would be noticeable to an on looker.  and many people who would see the word are probably saying the word while noticing it.
I use the f word every so often when needed but could live without ever using it at all if necessary.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
I would still contend this is a sfw site despite the occasional curse word you may encounter. I mean if someone is looking that intensely at your screen to notice an F bomb, they are way too locked in. I have not seen many posts in all my years here that were so laden with swear words it would be noticeable to an on looker.  and many people who would see the word are probably saying the word while noticing it.
I use the f word every so often when needed but could live without ever using it at all if necessary.

Have you met TioJorge?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
 :lol

I don't want this thread to turn into a witch hunt, but that is a great example of how a SFW thread can get very NSFW very fast :P

No offense Tio ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

I thought he meant fart, farter, and farting. I can see how that would be offensive. 
British swearing. :ariich:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.