Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - The End!  (Read 26816 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
No more Haken then.  :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
No more Haken then.  :P

Aahw, shit! I was just about to ace this roulette with all their songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Any objections to a rule of no more than two songs per band?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I like it  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Soooo, who sent In Memoriam then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

I liked the way Lolzeez ran his, where if it made a strong positive impact on him the band became banned. But if it didn't make a strong impact, someone else could take the risk of trying again with a different song...

I wouldn't do it anyways though, so I have no objections either way
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I liked the way Lolzeez ran his, where if it made a strong positive impact on him the band became banned. But if it didn't make a strong impact, someone else could take the risk of trying again with a different song...

I wouldn't do it anyways though, so I have no objections either way

:iagree:

It's your roulette though.  Do whatever you want.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
The way I look at it, one song isn't always representative of a band as a whole. I don't really feel the need to shut everyone off from submitting a song from a band the second someone else does, even if the first one left a good impression.

That said, I definitely see the issue with lots of people sending songs from the same band because it worked well for people in the past, and three or more songs from one band is a bit much.

So I think I'm going to stick with the 2 songs or less rule.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
When can we expect results?
Squ

Offline Lucien

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I've graded seven out of ten songs, I still need to listen to the last three a few more times.
I'll shoot for results on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Results sometime tomorrow!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
 :corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline senecadawg2

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Bring them on then! :D
Squ

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
ROUND 1 RESULTS

Elite: Haken - Atlas Stone

Oh hey, it's Haken. These guys have been on my "should check out sometime" list for ages, and I was certain I would get something from them in this roulette. Turns out I didn't have to wait long. :lol Anyways, this definitely feels like a true opener, in fact out of all the submissions for this round, this song probably fits the theme the most. Like all good openers, the intro is fantastic. That piano melody is absolutely beautiful, and the moment the full band kicks in is great. I also like when the melody is reprised later on in the song with that guitar solo on top of it. That ethereal, soaring atmosphere is what I like most about this song... which is why I think the song would have been a bit better if it stuck to that vibe a bit more. The jazzy break after the first chorus in particular has no reason to be there, and overall I actually think the song would have been stronger if it was a bit shorter in length. As it is though, it's still a good song, and a great choice for the first round.

Score: 8.0

Lolzeez: Leprous - Bilateral

This song definitely had a strong impact the first time I heard it; it's very unique-sounding. I love the electronic elements in the verses; they have a very cool atmosphere that is right up my alley. They also contrast well with that powerful chorus. Upon repeated listenings however, I get the feeling that this song could get old relatively quickly. While I just praised that chorus, its power diminishes a bit after you've heard it a lot. I still definitely like what I heard though, it just left me wanting a bit more. Feel free to send me another song by them later down the line, I get the feeling that this song only scratches the surface of this band's potential.

Nekov: Pagan's Mind - God's Equation

You know your submission is good when there's titties on the cover art and a heated religious debate in the comments section.
This one was definitely a grower; nothing really stuck out the first time I heard it, but now I'd say it's one of the best songs I got this round. First of all, that vocalist is fucking killing it. His melodies are great and he's got a lot of power. The chorus is fantastic, I love the melody and the climactic feel that backs it up. Throw in some cool riffs and a good flow that doesn't make the song feel overly-long despite a pretty simple structure, and you've got yourself a great submission.

Score: 8.5

senecadawg2: Circus Maximus - Architect Of Fortune

I've been aware of this band's existence for a long time, and this song definitely made a great first impression of them. I really like the guitar work; there's some really cool riffs in the first half, the guitarist's tone is fantastic, and the the lead lines thrown in every now and then always feel tasteful. The balance of dynamics is really well-done, there's a good amount of heavy sections as well as quieter sections. Speaking of which, while the first half of the song is already good, the second half really elevates the piece to another level. That break is quite beautiful, and the way it explodes into the instrumental section leading up to the final chorus is amazing. Congratulations, this is probably the best song I got this round. Keep it up! :tup

Score: 9.0

elefantStone: Disillusion - And The Mirror Cracked

Now these guys I've never even heard of. I'll be honest, the first time I heard this song I wasn't too impressed with the first three minutes, but then that break into the middle section came. I really love that whole part of the song, which is unsurprising considering I love atmospheric elements in music. The acoustic guitars, the piano, and that chord progression really create a great, melancholy mood. It feels genuinely emotional and beautiful. The heavier parts of the song definitely aren't as good, but they've grown on me a bit. So overall, I'd say this is a pretty great song.

Lucien: Haken - Falling Back To Earth

Oh hey, it's Haken. Again. Same album, even. :lol I should really pick this album up sometime soon, it sounds pretty great. Anyways, compared to Atlas Stone, I definitely like this one more. It covers a lot of ground and flows really well, the vocalist gives a better performance, and there's no parts in particular I would cut out. The first half has a lot of cool riffs, some nice atmospheric touches, and a good amount of proggy goodness. However, the second half is where the song really picks up. (That seems to be a recurring theme this round...) The quiet break is nice, and the buildup from soft and atmospheric to loud and bombastic (dat massive riff) is done really well. Aside from Architect Of Fortune, this is probably the best song I got this round.
HOWEVER... this song really doesn't fit the theme of this round at all. I'm sorry, I just don't get the "opener" vibe at all from it. This becomes even more apparent when it's compared with Atlas Stone, the most opener-y song I received. If you saved this song for a later round, it probably would have gotten a 9. For this round, I'm sadly gonna have to take off .5 points.
But it's still an awesome song. :tup

LieLowTheWantedMan: The Drones - I See Seaweed

Well, this one was certainly interesting. I don't think I can really compare this song to anything I've heard before. It's very experimental and theatrical, and both of those things are good in my book. While I have no idea what the song's actually about, it feels very emotional. While the vocalist's voice sounds a bit silly, (he reminds me a lot of Roger Waters, which isn't really a good thing) I can tell he's singing his heart out, and it definitely shows in his performance. The loud parts of the song sound fantastic, and the contrast between them and the verses works very well. That said, I really wish they lasted longer. They just seem to leave way too quickly; the only loud section that lasts as long as I think it should is the bombastic finale with the guitar solo, easily the best part of the song. I also wish that the quiet sections had a bit more driving them than just the vocals. But hey, minor complaints. This is a really hard song to give a rating to, hopefully an 8 is good enough. Better than the other times you submitted it, at least? :lol

Scorpion: Wintersun - Winter Madness

JESUS CHRIST GUYS SLOW THE FUCK DOWN
Anyways, this song certainly is energetic, you didn't lie about that. :lol Some of the riffs and melodies are also pretty enjoyable. But I think that the song is a bit TOO energetic and fast. The constant blastbeats and the superfast tempo obscure some of the previously-mentioned melodies, and my favorite parts of the song are when the band chills out a bit and doesn't sound like they've all had fifty cups of coffee before recording. It's definitely not a bad song, but I don't really see myself ever revisiting it unless I'm in the mood for something ridiculously energetic.

Score: 7.5

jingle.boy: Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

Yes, I am a child of the 90s. I've heard a lot of "classic" bands, but ehh, aside from Pink Floyd they usually just aren't really my thing. Same thing goes for this song. While that riff IS pretty cool, this song didn't really do anything for me. I don't know if I could point out anything about this song that's actually bad, (except for maybe that middle section, what the hell was the point of that? :lol) but compared to everything else I got this round, this song just doesn't resonate with my tastes. But hey, kudos for trying.

Score: 7.0

?: Dark Tranquillity - Nothing To No One

This song was pretty cool. The intro is really great, starting the song off on a good note. The slow groove the song has is really nice; the riffs work really well with it. With that being said, a lot of the song doesn't use that groove, instead having the drums in double time or doing blastbeats. This pretty much only happens in the verses, which are probably the weak point of the song. I think if the whole song was in that slow groove, I would have liked it a bit better. But as-is, the song is still pretty good.

THE SCORE SO FAR

-senecadawg2: 9.0
-Nekov: 8.5
-elefantStone: 8.5
-Lucien: 8.5
-Elite: 8.0
-Lolzeez: 8.0
-LieLowTheWantedMan: 8.0
-?: 8.0
-Scorpion: 7.5
-jingle.boy: 7.0

ROUND 2: HEAVY SHIT (BUT NOT TOO HEAVY)

This round is pretty self-explanatory. I like metal and heavy shit. So send me some.
That said, there's certain styles of "heavy" I like and others I don't like. I'm not going to go into detail here, so take a look at my banned artists list and try to figure it out for yourself. And hey, feel free to take some risks! Good luck.

Keep in mind, I added a new rule: No more than two songs per band for the roulette. If I get two songs from a band, they get added to the "newly-banned" list on the first post. The only band on there so far is Haken.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:13:33 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Disrespecting Wintersun. Prepare yourself.

Offline senecadawg2

Fantastic! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the song.

I'll get you some tasteful heaviness by the end of the night! :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Elite and Scrop know what song I'm sending.  Don't you fuckers even dare think about sending it/them.

Oh, and :wtf: on your :wtf: about the middle of Whole Lotta Love??  :lolpalm:  Kids these days.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Scorpion: Wintersun - Winter Madness

Anyways, this song certainly is energetic, you didn't lie about that. :lol Some of the riffs and melodies are also pretty enjoyable. But I think that the song is a bit TOO energetic and fast. The constant blastbeats and the superfast tempo obscure some of the previously-mentioned melodies, and my favorite parts of the song are when the band chills out a bit and doesn't sound like they've all had fifty cups of coffee before recording. It's definitely not a bad song, but I don't really see myself ever revisiting it unless I'm in the mood for something ridiculously energetic.

I came away with much the same thoughts in my roulette.  Exact quote was "The song is pretty busy for my tastes."  :lol

My favorite part was also the calmer section.  "The more relaxed section from 2:47 to about 3:05 was brilliant."
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Elite and Scrop know what song I'm sending.  Don't you fuckers even dare think about sending it/them.

Go ahead. And if you don't win next round, then I don't know what..
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

Sent!

I know what... it means I won!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Tastes:  Life would be so much easier if everyone just had the same as mine!   ;D

Offline Lucien

Sent.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Not a bad start!

Sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I must say, for a "heavy" round, all the submissions so far have been pretty tame. I guess everyone was expecting everyone else to be sending mathcore or some shit. :lol

Offline Lucien

I was going to send some obscure black metal, but the "not too heavy" thing turned me out of it

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette of Fun and Tears (But Mostly Fun) - ROUND 2, FIGHT!
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
How's this going?

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »
Results tomorrow night, probably.

Are things too slow?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
I don't think so. So long as you're able to sufficiently absorb the songs.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
Results tomorrow night, probably.

Are things too slow?

No.  IMO, anything longer than a week is too long (assuming you have all your songs); anything shorter than 2 days is too short (take more than a few listens to be able to deliver a meaningful judgment).

The 'dawg is just eager to see how many fewer points he's gonna get this round.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
Around five days per round seems pretty reasonable to me, especially since ten songs can be a lot to absorb.
Plus I'm in college now, so there's also that. :lol