Author Topic: You're about to re-live your childhood.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: You're about to re-live your childhood.
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 07:21:25 AM »
Yep.  They were full of awesome things.  And you wanted them all.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »
Nostalgia post on buzzfeed? NO WAY!
*shrug*

This was literally the first time I'd ever visited buzzfeed.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
By a show of hands who played with these toys!

*raises hand*
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
Come on. The sixties Apollo missions? Major Matt Mason?

Not wringing any bells?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
I had tons of G.I. Joes and Transformers.  What's left of them all are still in bins at my parents' house.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
Don't remember those, but how 'bout this guy?

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
Yeah, my brother tried an experiment by boring a hole in Stretch and inserting an M-80. Didn't work out too well.

I had tons of G.I. Joes and Transformers.  What's left of them all are still in bins at my parents' house.

12 inch or 3-3/4 inch G.I. Joes?

I still remember these being used to beat up Major Matt Mason.  ;D

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
3-3/4.  I also have a bunch of original G.I. Joe Marvel Comics.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
Hated G I Joe, too. Star Wars action figures were where it was at, for those sorts of things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
I probably still have at least half of the things on that list, but they're missing a lot of things that should have been included that I still have.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »
Hated G I Joe, too. Star Wars action figures were where it was at, for those sorts of things.

Had tons of those also.  Probably still a lot of them at my parents' also.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
The parachute was lame. Now if you walked in and saw a net sack of these bad boys, it was for sure gonna be a painfully awesome day...

Maybe for you!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drjoRwYJDvg

I guess we know which group you fell into :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »
The parachute was lame. Now if you walked in and saw a net sack of these bad boys, it was for sure gonna be a painfully awesome day...

I liked the parachute.

But I LOVED kickball, dodgeball, war (similar to dodgeball but *moreso*  :xbones ), off-the-wall...I was a very sporty kid.   :)

oh, the smell o' dem balls...   ;D
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

Totally agree, accept that somewhere around 10th grade, my lame ass school decided that the kickass rubber dodgeballs were too "rough" and "encouraged violence", so we were forced to use these lame foam pieces of shit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
Dodgeball outlasted my grade school era. Sadly, around 7th or 8th grade the demographics of the DISD had changed enough that PE went to an all basketball all the time format. That's when I sought out alternatives to gym class (or just stopped dressing out and took the F).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
Kickball, man.

When I was a kid, I lived in an apartment complex in West Virginia that, adjacent to the playground, had a paved area about 300 feet across where all the kids played kickball. To get a home run, you really had to belt the fuck out of the ball-like a couple of hundred feet. I wasn't even the best at it, but when I moved to another town a few years later, suddenly I was a kickball GOD. They called me Grand Slam, because if I came up with three on, it was an automatic grand slam. I was intentionally walked in kickball. I could boot one of those rubber balls two hundred feet easy.

Good fucking times. Keep the parachute. Give me one of those red balls and put me fourth in the line up for kickball.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline sueño

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
Dodgeball outlasted my grade school era. Sadly, around 7th or 8th grade the demographics of the DISD had changed enough that PE went to an all basketball all the time format. That's when I sought out alternatives to gym class (or just stopped dressing out and took the F).

I loved basketball in PE, too.  Floor hockey,  volleyball,  badminton, softball (when it got warm enough to play outside), tennis, soccer, archery...there wasn't much of gym class I didn't like.   

EDIT:  I was an honor student; getting an F was unthinkable.  ESPECIALLY in PE!!   :loser:    :lol
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:16:54 PM by sueño »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »
11: OMG THAT WAS MY FAVORITE THING  :heart

You too?  YES! :metal :heart

I loved basketball in PE, too.  Floor hockey,  volleyball,  badminton, softball (when it got warm enough to play outside), tennis, soccer, archery...there wasn't much of gym class I didn't like.   

OMG, floor hockey RULED.  I sucked at pretty much everything else though. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »

You probably wouldn't have cared for it much in the DISD.  :lol

Floor hockey was the one PE thing I really excelled at. I have fond memories of a game in 3rd grade that was so good the coach kept us 15 minutes into the next class because he wouldn't let it end in a tie. Scoring the winning goal was my Al Bundy moment.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
What is DISD?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »
Dallas Independent School District.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
It always struck me as funny that Plano was PISD. :neverusethis:
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »

Am I the only one who remembers this?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't remember it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »
FWIW, I hated PE class as a kid.  You had scrawny nerds like me, then you had these egomaniacal meatheads that eventually went on to be football players.  For people like me, PE was absolute hell.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
Why did kids find the parachute thing so awesome? I for one loved it! but I really have no idea why?

The water ring game! Wow, that brings back memories!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline sueño

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
FWIW, I hated PE class as a kid.  You had scrawny nerds like me, then you had these egomaniacal meatheads that eventually went on to be football players.  For people like me, PE was absolute hell.

I think most kids were somewhere in the middle...  ;)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
I was pretty scrawny, but I was also really athletic.  Run fast, jump far, kick the crap out of the kickball, etc.  The presidential award thingies were a piece of cake.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »

Depends on the demographics of where you go to school. In middle school, my entire class was nothing but wannabe gang-bangers who had set their sights on NBA stardom when they were 2. I graduated high school from a farm town where everybody in my PE class was the meatheads that Tick referred to. The only thing they ever wanted was to spend PE in the weight room. Not sure which I hated more, actually.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
I hated PE and sports. Picked last for the team and all that. Kinda regret not trying harder in those areas now that I'm past my main growing years. But I don't doubt that if I keep at it now that I've started, I'll be athletic enough in the future.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline sueño

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

Depends on the demographics of where you go to school. In middle school, my entire class was nothing but wannabe gang-bangers who had set their sights on NBA stardom when they were 2. I graduated high school from a farm town where everybody in my PE class was the meatheads that Tick referred to. The only thing they ever wanted was to spend PE in the weight room. Not sure which I hated more, actually.

Ah.  Well, my school years were 70s and early 80s in the suburbs, not too dramatic.  Not fancy suburbs in the least...but just regular kids, mixed demographics.  No serious gang problems in my high school.

And as I said, I was athletic as well as smart and good in music.  I got along with pretty much everyone.   :angel: