Author Topic: Women in Construction Zones  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Women in Construction Zones
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
Driving to work, there's a stretch of highway with one lane all torn up, so all the traffic has to pass by half in the other lane and half on the shoulder.  So there's someone standing out there holding one of those pole signs that says SLOW on one side and STOP on the other.  Facing me, it says SLOW.

As I get nearer, the person turns a bit and the profile looks... female?  She's wearing regular construction-worker garb; reflective yellow vest over a flannel shirt, jeans, boots, but that's definitely a female profile.  She turns again and hey, she's actually kinda cute.  She's chatting with one of the other workers, but has to keep turning back to face traffic, and her ponytail keeps whipping back and forth when she turns.  Traffic is moving slowly, and as I pass, I get a chance to -- ahem -- properly appraise her.  Let's just say that the jeans were quite flattering.  The flannel shirt wasn't too bad, either.

I think to myself: Figures, make the girl stand there holding the sign.

Then I think: Ha ha, their excuse is probably that people will slow down more, so they can check her out.  But they can't really say that out loud.

But it worked, didn't it? Everyone slowed down to check out the babe holding the sign.

Women in construction zones, making the world a safer place.  :tup

Cool story, bro

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Women in Construction Zones
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:40:23 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
I never thought about that but it makes sense...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
I think about things like this.  A lot.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
 :lol, yeah, when I saw your name by the thread title I was not surprised and knew you would deliver.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
We have a ton of construction going on around our place, and there is this one well stacked blond with wavy hair.....the jeans....the orange vest and hard hat.....yeah, I'm right with ya Orbert...you'd have to be blind not to slow down for this lady.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
Constructions zones: where things are erected.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:13 AM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:47:10 AM »
What the fuck?

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
Is it me or are those some of the least sexy pics ever? The girl, the scene, the composition. None of it makes any sense.   :huh:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Is it me or are those some of the least sexy pics ever? The girl, the scene, the composition. None of it makes any sense.   :huh:

It's a pop culture reference. Note the number of views of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

But yeah, not sexy...provocative? Maybe, but definitely not sexy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
the back lash, I dont' get it.

She's sexy.

cashing in on sexiness, going WAY over the top with it...like every other pop star since Madonna.

also.

O-bert..without pics of this construction you speak of the thread was a busted water main.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
yeah, pics or it didn't happen
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
I'd slow down for ALL work zones. I might even stop just to be extra safe.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
much better.

that first pick looked like Jackie's halloween costume this year.....gonna be some slow moving traffic in front of that house!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »

Helped me drain my wrecking balls :shrug:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
The reason is not as sexist as you think. First of all, it would be illegal for the construction company to hire only "hot women" to work as traffic signalers. Two reasons that you see these women primarily come to mind. 1) A lot of women (of the hot variety at times) apply for those jobs because they can make a decent wage, and get a great tan for the summer. 2) Most able bodied and willing men who work on construction sites can make more money doing harder manual labor. Of course I have seen men many times working traffic, and I've seen women doing the manual work. But for many young women especially, they can make a decent wage, get a tan, work outdoors, and it sure beats working retail or waiting tables for a summer job.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Those are some good points.  For some reason, I was thinking that everyone on the crew gets paid around the same (except for maybe the crew chief, who's in a higher pay bracket), whether they're digging, cutting concrete, or just standing there holding the sign.  It makes a hell of a lot more sense that the positions are specialized and each person is paid according to their specialty and assignment for that particular job.  The traffic signaler I'm sure is down near the bottom of the pay scale.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Those are some good points.  For some reason, I was thinking that everyone on the crew gets paid around the same (except for maybe the crew chief, who's in a higher pay bracket), whether they're digging, cutting concrete, or just standing there holding the sign.  It makes a hell of a lot more sense that the positions are specialized and each person is paid according to their specialty and assignment for that particular job.  The traffic signaler I'm sure is down near the bottom of the pay scale.

Not necessarily. I have a few friends who do construction and another that works in tree removal. They say that those crews are run a lot like fishing vessels. Even if you are doing the same job, how long you've been there really determines where you sit on the pay scale.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
This is all so confusing.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

Not necessarily. I have a few friends who do construction and another that works in tree removal. They say that those crews are run a lot like fishing vessels. Even if you are doing the same job, how long you've been there really determines where you sit on the pay scale.

Seniority (time on the job) I'm sure can have an impact on wages, just like anything else. But a heavy equiptment operator for example makes a hell of a lot more than a traffic signaler. Just like there are probably some laborers who make more than traffic signalers too, unless maybe the signalers been doing it for several years and the laborer is brand new. It would depend on seniority and position/title on the crew.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 06:07:59 AM »
Holy lol