Author Topic: DT vinyl releases  (Read 46089 times)

Offline ProgressiveIce

Re: DT vinyl releases
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2017, 04:28:01 AM »
Wow, ridiculously low prices. I also wonder how they can offer such low international shipping fees given USPS's crazy pricing, which usually means that ordering from the US, e.g. the ETR releases, is very expensive. But here, all three records combined are only $58.73 shipped internationally. At the German store where I usually order my records, it'd be 69.97 € ($74) without shipping (though shipping is quite cheap if you're in a neighbouring country, and they sometimes offer free shipping as well).

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
Daaaamn. Might have to get one of those. I just picked up Awake from Amazon.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2017, 04:33:56 AM »
Octavarium is great. I might get Scenes From A Memory one day. I really wanna get more double/gatefold/coloured vinyl.

Mastodon's Blood Mountain is yellow. My one coloured vinyl so far.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2017, 06:39:16 AM »
So, doesn't it seem weird that some of the albums are available on colored vinyl and some are not? Does anyone know what that is about?
Also, I am very sad that Images & Words apparently is not available anymore on red vinyl :(
any rock can be made to roll

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
So, doesn't it seem weird that some of the albums are available on colored vinyl and some are not? Does anyone know what that is about?
Also, I am very sad that Images & Words apparently is not available anymore on red vinyl :(

Nope, this is how it goes. It gets pressed how it gets pressed. C'est la vie.

With that said, Music on Vinyl seem to be recently reissuing the albums they've released in colours, such as the yellow SFAM and white Budokan. So it seems likely the remaining ones (pre-Roadrunner) will also get coloured reissues this year.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2017, 03:47:18 AM »
the remaining ones (pre-Roadrunner)

They already reissued IAW to TOT. WDADU will probably never get a reissue, so the only remaining one is Octavarium, and I don't think MOV will reissue that. Note that they also didn't release it on black vinyl in 2013/14. I don't know any details, but perhaps the copyright situation with that album is a bit different due to it being released directly on Atlantic (after the acquisition of Elektra)?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »
Will WD&DU never be rereleased because they don't have enough rights on that album or something like that?
The album's production being pretty .. well, bad, I'd actually like a remix or even a rerecording.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »
Will WD&DU never be rereleased because they don't have enough rights on that album or something like that?
The album's production being pretty .. well, bad, I'd actually like a remix or even a rerecording.
Yeah, they have no rights to those original recordings, and I doubt very seriously they have any interest in acquiring them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2017, 04:55:10 AM »
the revisit with James for the WDADRU release is the closest well ever get to a rerecording / rerelease sanctioned by the band.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2017, 05:14:29 AM »
Does anyone know if they're gonna release a vinyl edition of the Live Scenes From New York? Bc if I recall correctly that's the only album besides WD&DU and the last two live albums that has not been rereleased.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »
I don't think there's a vinyl release of Chaos In Motion either, so make that "last three live albums". Otherwise, correct. (Technically, the Roadrunner albums were never rereleased, but they were all originally released on vinyl as opposed to the earlier albums.)

I don't see this happening anytime soon. Music On Vinyl has done two cycles of the entire catalogue by now – excluding WDADU and LSFNY. Maybe there are some legal issues with LSFNY as well? No idea. But even if there aren't – LSFNY is massive. Over 3 hours of playtime equate to 5 LPs based just on duration per side, i.e. ignoring whether the album could actually be split that way. It surprised me already that they released Score as a 4 LP set, and I doubt they'd release an even larger set. There's nobody else beside MOV releasing old DT recordings on vinyl either – Enjoy The Ride stopped years ago for reasons I don't know, and the only other release was Octavarium by Rhino (i.e. the rights owners, I believe).

That said, I'd love to see a vinyl release of LSFNY. And of ACOS!

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:53 PM »
This site still has some and at decent prices.  I just bought both DT12 and 8VM and shipped free!

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »
So I bought the Music On Vinyl Live at Budokan release (the 2000 copies limited white vinyl) and this is what happened:

Edit: Links to the pictures as they do not seem to show up:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5mgfhvtgqv5fy9/20170422_144356.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf9j496kjl0jtcs/20170422_144402.jpg?dl=0

And this is basically on all eight sides of the release. Sometimes it's more brown than black or a little less smeared, but it's everywhere. Cleaning also won't help since it is inside the vinyl (e.g. side 1 and 2 look the same).
Somebody else got this issue or am I the only one so far (that would actually be pretty funny)?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:41:11 PM by wizard of Thought »

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »
this is what happened

FYI, the images don't show up. It looks like you didn't make them publicly accessible (not sure how Dropbox works exactly since I don't use it).

« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the hint, I posted links to the picture as I don't know a better way of working around it in Dropbox.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
Happens all the time, especially with light colors like white. Either someone didn't fully clean out the stamper or had a brownish color on their hands when handling the puck (likely from another vinyl they had just worked on), since they kinda look like fingerprints. Remember, this stuff is made by actual people molding a puck and squashing it!

You might be able to exchange for another copy, depending on where you bought it.

« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »
I actually bought it on Amazon, however it said that it was the last copy they had left... well, I guess I'll just keep it, at least it makes this copy somewhat unique  ;)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
Send Amazon an email anyway and they will give you at least a partial refund. I had a record set come damaged once and they refunded it without taking it back (I didn't even ask for a full refund).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline EnjoyTheRide

« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
We recently found a few boxes of Falling Into Infinity while doing inventory and decided to put them on sale. When you put one in your cart, you will automatically receive 30% off. There are only 50 copies left, so we wanted to give forum members a heads up so they can snag a copy if they haven't done so already.

https://enjoytheride.storenvy.com/products/9955279-dream-theater-2xlp-falling-into-infinity-webstore-exclusive-variant

Offline ytsejam423

« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
Just a heads up for anyone interested in some cheap DT vinyl, Insound.com is having a 50% off sale right now. Not sure for how long.
https://www.insound.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=dream+theater&order=relevance&dir=desc

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2018, 03:36:26 AM »
Music On Vinyl is releasing ACOS in a bit less than a month (2018-02-16). Limited edition of 2500 numbered copies on blue/white mixed vinyl.

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/a-change-of-seasons

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
is it me...? I'm not seeing a way to order on the MOV page...
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
I don't think you can order directly from MOV. You'll have to look for a distributor which sells them instead.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2018, 07:42:00 AM »
is it me...? I'm not seeing a way to order on the MOV page...

Preorder is up on amazon.co.uk but I'm sure it will show up on your localized Amazon site when we get closer to the release date.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
WDADU will be rereleased by Music On Vinyl in September (2018-09-07). Red vinyl, 3500 numbered copies.

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/dream-theater/when-dream-and-day-unite

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2018, 04:22:03 AM »
WDADU will be rereleased by Music On Vinyl in September (2018-09-07). Red vinyl, 3500 numbered copies.

That's AWESUM!!!

I wonder if they remastered it?
I found the original vinyl in Cologne around 1,5 years ago. It actually doesn't sound that bad! But I think I'll be getting this version too.

But didn't the band have some problems with rereleasing WD&DU because they don't own the rights on that album or so?

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:06 AM »
But didn't the band have some problems with rereleasing WD&DU because they don't own the rights on that album or so?

Yeah, I believe ETR said the same thing here on DTF a few years ago. I assume that MOV negotiated directly with Mechanic/MCA/Geffen Records (or whoever owns the rights nowadays).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »

Yeah, I believe ETR said the same thing here on DTF a few years ago. I assume that MOV negotiated directly with Mechanic/MCA/Geffen Records (or whoever owns the rights nowadays).

I'm not quite sure why a record label should give a crap about the rights of a 30 year old debut album from a then-amateur band that sold 400 and a half copies at the time (I actually don't know how many it sold but if I recall correctly, the number wasn't that high) and won't sell too many in the future either?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2018, 05:36:04 PM »

That's AWESUM!!!

I wonder if they remastered it?
I found the original vinyl in Cologne around 1,5 years ago. It actually doesn't sound that bad! But I think I'll be getting this version too.

I'd love to know how they got the rights for this and what tapes were used.

Not sure if I'd get this or not. Already have some original pressings and a promo, but I am curious as to how it was made.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2018, 02:21:36 AM »
I might get it since I don't own a copy of WDADU yet, and this is probably the closest thing to an "official" release of the album since the original.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2018, 03:32:14 AM »
Can anyone out there in Vinyl land tell me if there are any differences between the Vinyl and CD versions of any DT albums (for better or worse)?

I want to pick up Scenes and 6DOIT as well for a new experience to these albums and wondering if the sound is clearer, better, different or there are any differences that can be heard?

Cheers

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »
Can anyone out there in Vinyl land tell me if there are any differences between the Vinyl and CD versions of any DT albums (for better or worse)?

I want to pick up Scenes and 6DOIT as well for a new experience to these albums and wondering if the sound is clearer, better, different or there are any differences that can be heard?

Cheers

IIRC, only the I&W, SFAM, FII, and Awake vinyls through Enjoy the Ride records were remastered for vinyl. The Music on Vinyl (MOV) releases are just direct transfers but they also have released SFAM, FII, Awake, and Images.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
IIRC, only the I&W, SFAM, FII, and Awake vinyls through Enjoy the Ride records were remastered for vinyl. The Music on Vinyl (MOV) releases are just direct transfers but they also have released SFAM, FII, Awake, and Images.

Not sure.  Although it's obviously not a perfect measure, the dynamic range on the SFAM CD and the MOV release is quite different. For comparison, here's the ETR pressing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »

Cheers

I know that the FII vinyl I have has Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand separated on two different sides. This allows you to hear them as single entities. There's a little bit more sound to both the end of HK and the beginning of LITS that you don't get to hear otherwise. It's not earth-shattering, but it is pretty cool to hear.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »

Not sure.  Although it's obviously not a perfect measure, the dynamic range on the SFAM CD and the MOV release is quite different. For comparison, here's the ETR pressing.

So does this mean the MOV pressing will effectively 'sound' better than the CD version due to having a larger DM and being less compressed (correct me if I am wrong)? 

Can anyone confirm which albums are must have's and sound better than their CD counterparts? (i.e less compressed where you can hear more of the material). Cheers