Author Topic: DT vinyl releases  (Read 46099 times)

Offline PROGdrummer

Re: DT vinyl releases
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
I hope the B-side is just an instrumental version of Illumination Theory, honestly.

Offline thyer

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 05:56:03 AM »
someone have any news of Illumination Theory vinyl? I don't find anyhwere (roadrunner,etc...)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:22 AM »
Its a record store day release. The list of releases for that day hasn't officially been announced yet, once it is you'll be able to find more information about it.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
One thing I noticed is that the version of "You Not Me" is a little longer than the original, during the guitar solo.

Wait, is this for real? I'd be interested to hear this.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
One thing I noticed is that the version of "You Not Me" is a little longer than the original, during the guitar solo.

Wait, is this for real? I'd be interested to hear this.

It's different from the CD version I've had since the album was originally released.
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline Umph1348

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
So after I bit the bullet and grabbed a first pressing of Awake on EBay, I am now only two vinyl releases (WDADU and FII) away from having every DT studio release on vinyl. I also have Score on vinyl which sounds great. Not gonna lie, it feels pretty great to have this much DT wax in my collection. Now I need to listen to all of it and take a stab at ranking the albums (let's just start with they all have something compelling to offer). 

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
So after I bit the bullet and grabbed a first pressing of Awake on EBay, I am now only two vinyl releases (WDADU and FII) away from having every DT studio release on vinyl. I also have Score on vinyl which sounds great. Not gonna lie, it feels pretty great to have this much DT wax in my collection. Now I need to listen to all of it and take a stab at ranking the albums (let's just start with they all have something compelling to offer). 

Nice! I finally got Awake a month or so ago, its by far the best sounding record I've ever heard  :hefdaddy. When Dream And Day Unite isn't terribly hard to find, and Falling Into Infinity just came out a few months ago so you should be good. I have every Dream Theater release that is on vinyl except for the seemingly non-existent Pull Me Under single, which I'm still not sure is real. I'm working on vinyl compilations that have Dream Theater songs now, I'm crazy.  :lol
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
Just bought the vinyl of Octovarium. Looks like a nice package! Looking forward to listening to it, but unfortunately I won't be near a proper vinyl player any time soon.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
In my opinion Octavarium is the worst sounding Dream Theater record unfortunately. It is a very nice package, but the master leaves a lot to be desired.

Offline TL

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »
Just bought the vinyl of Octovarium. Looks like a nice package! Looking forward to listening to it, but unfortunately I won't be near a proper vinyl player any time soon.
You're in for a treat. The vinyl sounds great, and yeah, the packaging is a thing of beauty.

(Also, great avatar. The Last of Us was fantastic!).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
Looks like I'm going out for Record Store day...

Offline dparrott

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »
Doesn't look like the IT pic disc has a b-side.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
You're in for a treat. The vinyl sounds great, and yeah, the packaging is a thing of beauty.

(Also, great avatar. The Last of Us was fantastic!).

Yes, I was in for a treat! The sound is fantastic. It was also a quite while ago that I listened to 8VM for the last time, so this release rekindled my love for this album   :metal

My aim is to get all main albums of DT on vinyl. Now I only have IAW (music on vinyl), 8VM and DT12, so I still have a long road and a lot of my money to go I guess  :P At least the music on vinyl releases are pretty easy to get by here.

(And yes The Last Of Us is a piece of art  ;D)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »

HNNGGGG

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »

HNNGGGG

But what is the B-side? ???

It is a picture disc, so it has only one side  ;)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »

Being a picture disc certainly does not disqualify it from having a B side. In fact I've never seen a single sided picture disc before, I'm sure they exist but I have tons of picture discs and not one is single sided. That said this seems to be single sided, there is no mention of anything other than Illumination Theory. If that's the case its extremely disappointing and a sad cash grab. They know Dream Theater fanboys will buy it even though they already have the album. The thing about record store day is that its supposed to be about celebrating vinyl nerds, not milking them for every dollar you can. Just throwing Illumination Theory on a 12" with nothing else just seems incredibly lazy to me. Of course I'll still buy it, I'm part of the problem.  :blush

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2014, 10:13:15 AM »
They should be You Not Me on the B side
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »

Being a picture disc certainly does not disqualify it from having a B side. In fact I've never seen a single sided picture disc before, I'm sure they exist but I have tons of picture discs and not one is single sided. That said this seems to be single sided, there is no mention of anything other than Illumination Theory. If that's the case its extremely disappointing and a sad cash grab. They know Dream Theater fanboys will buy it even though they already have the album. The thing about record store day is that its supposed to be about celebrating vinyl nerds, not milking them for every dollar you can. Just throwing Illumination Theory on a 12" with nothing else just seems incredibly lazy to me. Of course I'll still buy it, I'm part of the problem.  :blush

Oh wow, I did not know that! My dad only has a few at home and they do not have a B-side. My bad, really thought that was normal.

Then it is indeed a pretty easy moneygrab. And one I want   :biggrin:

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
Yeah picture discs are no different than any other record, except of course that instead of solid or some pattern color on the wax it has artwork. I have to have it unfortunately, my collection is complete otherwise and my obsessive nature won't let this go  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »

Since picture discs (IMO, anyway) are not really meant to be played...I think it could be argued that what you're buying is a sortof "coffee table piece"...if you're a music fan, it is a piece of art (like a painting or a sculpture) that is put on display and actually has some value to those who find value in that genre of "art pieces"

Hey...for some people it's collectible plates.   Who am I to judge?   Heck, if I had taken better care of my original Creeping Death picture disc (with the original Garage Days on the B-side) I would be sitting on a pretty valuable piece of real estate right now.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »
Anyone who buys records to look at them is an idiot imo. Collect actual fine art in that case. I also never understand the whole "playing a record ruins it" idea. I have records that are 40+ years old, have been played countless times, and are in absolutely great shape. Picture discs are no different, I've got Judas Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny picture disc from 1982 that looks and sounds flawless. If you have a half decent turntable and don't treat your records like shit playing them will not deteriorate them at all(barring old shellac 78s and vinyl records that were made like shit). 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
Anyone who buys records to look at them is an idiot imo. Collect actual fine art in that case. I also never understand the whole "playing a record ruins it" idea. I have records that are 40+ years old, have been played countless times, and are in absolutely great shape. Picture discs are no different, I've got Judas Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny picture disc from 1982 that looks and sounds flawless. If you have a half decent turntable and don't treat your records like shit playing them will not deteriorate them at all(barring old shellac 78s and vinyl records that were made like shit).

Well...I think records should be listened to as well.   I have a few very valuable pieces that I pull out from time to time, because to a certain extent, I do feel like you do.  The art is there to be enjoyed....enjoy it.

But don't kid yourself.   Any time you play a record, there is friction involved.   Basic science will tell you that a record *DOES* deteriorate every time it's played.    Now, it may be so gradual so as to be practically imperceptible....but make no mistake...it does happen. 

That being said, I have some albums pressed in the late 60's and early 70's that sound better at 40 years old than many new albums sound that are freshly pressed.   I haven't figured that one out yet. 

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »
But don't kid yourself.   Any time you play a record, there is friction involved.   Basic science will tell you that a record *DOES* deteriorate every time it's played.    Now, it may be so gradual so as to be practically imperceptible....but make no mistake...it does happen.

Sure every piece of physical material deteriorates on some level. But like I said, if you have a half decent turntable with a back weighted tone arm and a quality diamond stylus the amount of deterioration is like you said imperceptible. This is no different than cds in that way, the only medium that is impervious to any deterioration is digital files.     

That being said, I have some albums pressed in the late 60's and early 70's that sound better at 40 years old than many new albums sound that are freshly pressed.   I haven't figured that one out yet.

That's largely because the recording, mixing, and mastering was an all analog chain in those days. Nowadays there is some step that is digital almost always. Hell very few pressing plants accept anything other than FLAC or CD masters for cutting lacquers anymore.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »
Add to that, the factor that it was always my impression (and I seriously wouldn't mind being proven wrong) the the vinyl used in pressing picture discs is of a much lower quality...especially from the classic era...mostly just because they were (and mostly still are) viewed as novelty collectibles...and not usually sought out for the quality of the sound.

As an aside.  I used to have the Slayer "Live Undead" picture disc.   This version had an extended version of "Show No Mercy" with a pretty badass 2 minute drum solo by Dave Lombardo before the song started.   I have never heard this version on any re-release of the album.   As far as I know, it only exists on the old picture disc version, which I lost years ago. 

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
Add to that, the factor that it was always my impression (and I seriously wouldn't mind being proven wrong) the the vinyl used in pressing picture discs is of a much lower quality...especially from the classic era...mostly just because they were (and mostly still are) viewed as novelty collectibles...and not usually sought out for the quality of the sound.

I've heard a bunch of vinyl nerds say that straight black or clear wax sounds the best. According to the theory bright colors create more surface noise, I'm not sure why, which would mean picture discs with a ton of color have a lot of surface noise. Could be, but I have no idea.

As an aside.  I used to have the Slayer "Live Undead" picture disc.   This version had an extended version of "Show No Mercy" with a pretty badass 2 minute drum solo by Dave Lombardo before the song started.   I have never heard this version on any re-release of the album.   As far as I know, it only exists on the old picture disc version, which I lost years ago.

I have that record, the original 1985 metal blade picture disc pressing. What a fucking album! I wish they'd recorded more live songs instead of putting studio cuts on the b side. Slayer was unstoppable back then! I had no idea that the drum solo was taken out of subsequent reissues, I've only ever heard the original pressing. What possible reason would they have for cutting it?

Offline thyer

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »
Seems that the vinyl will be only printed in US...  :angry:

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »
Seems that the vinyl will be only printed in US...  :angry:

Damn really? I guess my plan of going to a record store in Turkey is shot then.  :'(

Offline Umph1348

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
I picked up a copy of FII a few days ago so I am now just short WDADU in terms of studio albums on vinyl (psyched).  W/r/t the Illumination Theory picture disc for RSD, I just can't justify it.  I have the same song on vinyl already and like other posters, it seems silly to me to buy a record to look at (different strokes).  If there was a live track or something that was unreleased on the flip side, I would be all over it but I can't rationalize plopping down $40 for a picture disc of something I already have. 

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »
I would be all over it but I can't rationalize plopping down $40 for a picture disc of something I already have.

Hmm, my local record store has it listed to come out at $13.99? Where did you see $40?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
Yeah a record store in my area has it for $12.99, which is still too much for a redundant record that I'll still buy. I have three copies of Images And Words and dropped stupid money on Awake, so I have no room to talk.  :lol

Offline Umph1348

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
I would be all over it but I can't rationalize plopping down $40 for a picture disc of something I already have.

Hmm, my local record store has it listed to come out at $13.99? Where did you see $40?

Whoops, my bad.  I thought I saw it listed for $40.00 somewhere.  Either way, I still won't buy it as I already have IT on vinyl.  I already spent a pretty penny gettting SFAM and Awake off of Ebay.  DT is going to take enough of my money tonight in Boston (first show so will probably drop some ducats at the merch table in true noob fashion). 

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2014, 04:03:16 AM »
It's been a while since I've been active on here. Great to see that the thread is still going strong. :)

I hope that some record store in Switzerland will sell the IT LP, but it doesn't seem like it.  :(

Offline dparrott

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »
Adding something exclusive on the b-side would give fans more incentive to buy it! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
**hint hint, nudge nudge** DT.    :angel: