Author Topic: DT vinyl releases  (Read 46098 times)

Offline son_ov_hades

Re: DT vinyl releases
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
The Korean only pressing of Live At The Marquee isn't that expensive these days. I paid $30 for mine, which is quite a bit less than the Music On Vinyl releases go for new(I hate MOV's prices, but I'm a Dream Theater fanboy and vinyl nerd so I need these releases). After Train Of Thought, the only Dream Theater vinyl release I'm missing is Awake. One day I'll get it without spending a fortune.   :yeahright
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Where did you get it that cheap? eBay?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »
Yeah eBay seems to be the only place to find it if you're not in Korea or don't speak Korean. They pop up every once in awhile, in November two sold for reasonable prices(35 and 31) and in October one sold for 45. Whereas the ones listed for 150 didn't sell. You just have to keep your eye on eBay.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
The Korean only pressing of Live At The Marquee isn't that expensive these days. I paid $30 for mine, which is quite a bit less than the Music On Vinyl releases go for new(I hate MOV's prices, but I'm a Dream Theater fanboy and vinyl nerd so I need these releases). After Train Of Thought, the only Dream Theater vinyl release I'm missing is Awake. One day I'll get it without spending a fortune.   :yeahright

What about Score?  Score is coming soon!

Offline TL

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
And Amazon being Amazon has bumped the Canadian price of the Train of Thought vinyl up to about $60 (before tax). They also, once again, didn't bother actually getting them in stock before release day, so while I did lock in the lower price, my estimated ship date is basically "Fucked if we know".

This happened with Six Degrees as well, and will eventually work out, but it's a bit annoying.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
Yeah Amazon sucks for records, don't get me wrong sometimes they'll have good deals but usually not. Shipping is ridiculous too. I ordered Train of Thought from Juno Records in the UK, as they had by far the price at $31.48(totally reasonable). I've never ordered from them before so we'll see how it goes, but I'm not paying $60 on Amazon. My local record store said that was the price for them to special order it for me as well, they don't bring in Music On Vinyl releases because of the astronomical price.

https://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Dream+Theater/

Offline TL

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »
Are you in Canada? If so, and if that order goes well for you (doesn't take forever, no import fees, etc), I'll definitely give them a shot.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 06:12:56 AM »
I'm about 8 hours south of Montreal. Which would make me in the US.  :P

Offline TL

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm definitely giving them, or at least another vinyl specialty place, a shot next time.

While I got the $40 price (still not cheap, but at least not $60), Amazon finally has an estimated delivery date... of somewhere between February 28th and March 17th.  :lol
I guess actually stocking items you let people pre-order didn't come up in Business 101.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
I just switched over to Juno Records. Amazing that in the US I can import from the UK cheaper than from Canada  :lol (although it does make sense, since the item originates from the UK).

Thanks for the heads up son_ov_hades!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
I just switched over to Juno Records. Amazing that in the US I can import from the UK cheaper than from Canada  :lol (although it does make sense, since the item originates from the UK).

I'm getting mine from Jetworld Records here in the states, often for a around a dollar or two plus/minus of amazon.co.uk (with shipping included) but without the long wait.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »

I'm getting mine from Jetworld Records here in the states, often for a around a dollar or two plus/minus of amazon.co.uk (with shipping included) but without the long wait.

I know you mentioned that to me before, but I think you said you paid about $48? This ended up being $41 after shipping. I know its only a seven dollar difference, and the shipping will take a couple extra days, but any money saved helps me out with all this vinyl releases!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »

I know you mentioned that to me before, but I think you said you paid about $48? This ended up being $41 after shipping. I know its only a seven dollar difference, and the shipping will take a couple extra days, but any money saved helps me out with all this vinyl releases!

Yeah. I thought you said you paid 47 or maybe that was someone else.

After the headache I went through with OIALT and Amazon.co.uk and having to send it back cuz it got jacked up in transit and them making me send it back on my dime (though they finally did credit me for it)... meh

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Yeah. I thought you said you paid 47 or maybe that was someone else.

After the headache I went through with OIALT and Amazon.co.uk and having to send it back cuz it got jacked up in transit and them making me send it back on my dime (though they finally did credit me for it)... meh

Yeah, I think you might not have caught that I didn't switch to Amazon UK, I switched to Juno Records (also based out of UK), but they have great reviews and should (presumably) know how to correctly package a record. Unless you mean you simply don't want to buy from the UK because of any possible issues, which of course is understandable.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
Yeah, I think you might not have caught that I didn't switch to Amazon UK, I switched to Juno Records (also based out of UK), but they have great reviews and should (presumably) know how to correctly package a record. Unless you mean you simply don't want to buy from the UK because of any possible issues, which of course is understandable.

I saw that, but thought your ToT came from Amazon UK.

Oh well, Jetworld is working for me. He emailed me when he was getting TOT in before he listed them  up on Amazon or wherever else he sells.. so I guess I get a little preferential treatment. Who can complain about that?

Offline TL

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
Does Jetworld have its own site, or do they mainly sell through other sites? I tried finding a link, but 'Jetworld Records' is surprisingly difficult to google.

The only thing that's keeping these UK sites from being miles ahead of Amazon for me right now is that our Prime Minister is driving the value of our dollar through the floor through his own special blend of incompetence, short-sightedness, and just generally being a dickhead, so the current exchange rate kills it (but wouldn't normally be a problem). Aside from this post, I'll keep politics out of this thread; I just had to vent a little.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Does Jetworld have its own site, or do they mainly sell through other sites? I tried finding a link, but 'Jetworld Records' is surprisingly difficult to google.

The only thing that's keeping these UK sites from being miles ahead of Amazon for me right now is that our Prime Minister is driving the value of our dollar through the floor through his own special blend of incompetence, short-sightedness, and just generally being a dickhead, so the current exchange rate kills it (but wouldn't normally be a problem). Aside from this post, I'll keep politics out of this thread; I just had to vent a little.

I found them through Amazon when I ordered FII from their third party seller list. Now I just communicate directly with them.

If you'd like I can PM you their contact info. Though I must state they are in the US. So perhaps that's not the best choice anyway, given your profile location.

Offline TL

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
I'll give them a look anyway. Never hurts to have more options available.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »

Yeah I'm always shocked when things are cheaper imported from Europe than Canada or even domestic. I just ordered a Pagan Altar record from Iron Bonehead in Germany that ended up being about 20 dollars cheaper than distros in the US! You're quite welcome for the tip. As an experienced(read: obsessive) record buyer I like to share good deals with those who would appreciate them.

Another tip for those looking to order records online: The Metal Detektor searches a bunch of distros and can be very helpful. I've found a lot of cool shops that I'd otherwise not have known about through it. https://themetaldetektor.com/

Offline TL

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »

Yeah I'm always shocked when things are cheaper imported from Europe than Canada or even domestic. I just ordered a Pagan Altar record from Iron Bonehead in Germany that ended up being about 20 dollars cheaper than distros in the US! You're quite welcome for the tip. As an experienced(read: obsessive) record buyer I like to share good deals with those who would appreciate them.

Another tip for those looking to order records online: The Metal Detektor searches a bunch of distros and can be very helpful. I've found a lot of cool shops that I'd otherwise not have known about through it. https://themetaldetektor.com/
That's a pretty cool site. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of it.

Offline thyer

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:16 AM »
MOV wil print also Live At The Maruqee? when?

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 06:07:31 AM »
Is that so? I haven't heard that yet. Although I have the original Korean version I'd still get the Music On Vinyl pressing, I can't help myself. I mean hell, I have three different pressings of Images And Words  :lol

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
My copy of Train of Thought came today! No better feeling than adding to the collection. It came in one of the horrible thin British LP mailers as I assumed it would coming from Juno in the UK. But it showed up in absolute mint condition, everything was perfect. So it seems you can't beat Juno Records, best prices and solid packaging. I'm impressed again with the product Music On Vinyl has delivered. The jacket is nice and glossy with very clear images, although it would have been nice to have a gatefold. It comes with a nice insert that contains all the lyrics. As for the vinyl itself I'm only on side B(Endless Sacrifice playing at the moment), but so far it sounds fantastic. A whole world of difference from my only other copy, which is a cassette :lol. The mastering seems to be nice and dynamic and not brick walled, this had to have been mastered from the original high resolution recordings. All in all very happy with it, but I probably won't play this record a lot as I don't like Train Of Thought that much.

Offline TL

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
Looks fantastic. Can't wait for my copy to get here.

Has anyone heard any update on the Awake and Falling Into Infinity releases from Enjoy The Ride?

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »
Enjoy The Ride posted a thread looking for photos of the Awake center labels for their reissue. I'd guess that means they're working on it at the moment.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Score is on the way to me. Amazon.co.uk had it cheaper than Juno and my state side source this time.  Just about $50 shipped, versus $55(Juno) and $60 (stateside)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »
I got Score the other day, the packaging is great as always from Music On Vinyl. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'll give it a spin tonight and post some thoughts.

I really hope someone is going to press A Change Of Seasons and Live Scenes From New York on vinyl soon. At the moment I have every Dream Theater album that is on vinyl, but it somehow feels incomplete with out these two.  :(

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:18 AM »
So for Record Store Day 2014 DT will have Illumination Theory on a picture disc!   :metal

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
just saw this, so excited  :hefdaddy
hopefully the philly stores will actually get some  ::)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 03:27:03 PM »
just saw this, so excited  :hefdaddy
hopefully the philly stores will actually get some  ::)

Yeah I have one store in the area. They failed to get me a copy of a Phish LP last year (they got zero!)... so I hope they'll get this, I've asked them to (along with some others)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
I'm gonna be out of the country on record store day  :'( I seriously hope I can find a copy without paying ridiculous ebay prices. What's gonna be the B side I wonder? Illumination Theory is only one side long. Maybe a live version?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
I don't put much hope in it having a b-side.  It's a miracle DT's even doing this.  Most bands don't care about b-sides anymore.  End of an era.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
Rush had a picture disc of The Garden last year and the B side was a live version from the Clockwork Angels tour. B sides might be dead in the industry, but record store day is by and for vinyl nerds. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a b side.

Offline thyer

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
great news Illumination Theoey in vinyl...waiting for some update

Offline dparrott

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Of course, the ultimate miracle would be a new song on the b-side!  A 1-2 day "write and record" song would be a good challenge.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.