Author Topic: DTF full band cover?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline PwnsomeWin

DTF full band cover?
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
So I wanted to make a full band cover of Disappear by Dream Theater. Long story short, guitar and keyboard are not my strong instruments, and they were taking a while to record. So, I was wondering if people wanted to help out with this. Bass and drums are my strong instruments, so I'd do one of those.

Me - Bass/Drums
TheAtliator - Keys/Vocals

Rather then make a new thread I thought it'd be better to use this since it's a similar idea. I'm still interested in the full band cover idea, but now I can play more DT stuff that isn't Disappear, so I thought it'd be cool to get a group of people together for a band, and decide as a whole what to cover.

So if you're interested in doing that, make a post with your instrument!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:01:59 AM by PwnsomeWin »

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Re: Help with a full band DT cover (Disappear)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
I'm keyboards and vocals! School is keeping me very busy at the moment, but I do think I could learn the part and put something together.  :metal Although Disappear makes me cry every time, so it could be hard for me to get the right take  :lol

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »
Sounds good! Now we just need a guitar player. :D

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
I know several DT fan guitarists! I don't know how busy they are (I know a few of them are extremely busy) but I can ask them!

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
Sure, wouldn't hurt I guess.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:26:22 AM »
I'm not really sure how much time and motivation I can conjur up but I'm definitely interested. Disappear is a very special song to me and the depth and intensity build up is just awesome. I'm a vocalist (deep low voice though, if that's okay with you) and guitar player (and emergency bass player :D) and I'm very much into the epic ballads style. Do you already have a drums track or a basic click track, maybe a bass track? Feel free to PM for details and a Skype contact.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
I PMed you. I can try to get a bass or drums track done this weekend.

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
Funny thing you post a message now, I just finished recording a quick demo. In the original key with my bass voice it's just ridiculously low. It's kinda fun in a dark and ominous way but I highly doubt that's what you're after. I can do verse 1 and verse 2 and the bridge parts ("a day like today..." and "days disappear...") an octave higher but then verse 3 is beyond my range. So I guess I'm not exactly an ideal choice unless you want to use different singers for different sections or change it from Dm to Am.

39400_demo01.mp3

Greetings...
Nef

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »
nice low voice man!! If you want the original octave I can do that.

Not to say the low voice isn't totally cool!

Here's my sample. I just did it with my internal mic on my laptop, and I didn't warm up so it's not perfect. https://yourlisten.com/styxkyd/disappear-vocal

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
They're both really good! Probably going to go with TheAtliator's vocals though, since he is able to sing it in the original key. Nothing against yours Nef, yours is still really good. :D

I'll talk to you guys on Skype about this.

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »
Not a problem at all, I said so myself, it's kinda extreme to use the bass voice in the original key. It's been fun though because I rarely get to use that part of my range. If you still want to mix it up with two different voices I could do the bridge parts an octave up (I will prepare a demo as soon as I can). Otherwise I'll only do the low almost spoken words backgrounds in verse 3, like you wrote on Skype.

Oh and interesting vocals style TheAtliator, with a few extra helpings of drama, expressiveness, and vibrato. :biggrin:

I know it's only a quick demo but I'd suggest toning it down a little in that department for a song like Disappear. It's about facing the inevitable, finding strength for someone in a situation where your strength seems all but spent, its inescapability causing an overload that almost leads to emotional shutdown, leaving feelings awkwardly paralyzed, uncomfortably numb, so to speak. I think a more subtle approach without overexpressing the pain would be better suited for the song and its impact.

Looking forward to the next steps and the first results!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Here's an update...
So I apologize guys, I've been really busy, and I haven't gotten around to recording any parts. Also, it seems Nefarius is no longer interested in helping out, so we're in need of a guitarist (preferably one that has Skype or some easy way of communication). That being said, I can't say this has gone very well yet... but once I get a free day, I will record the drums and bass so a basis exists for TheAtliator and whoever the new guitarist is.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: Guitarist needed for a full band cover of Disappear (DT)
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
I could play the guitar.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
Yea cool send me something when you're ready. I've also been super busy

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
I could play the guitar.
Sounds good. Can you PM me a way to contact you? Preferrably Skype?

Offline PwnsomeWin

Re: Guitarist needed for a (split screen) full band cover of Disappear (DT)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
Still lookin' for a guitarist... I actually just recorded a bass track today, so this isn't dead.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Guitarist needed for a (split screen) full band cover of Disappear (DT)
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »
I'll play guitar. Shoot me a PM.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline PwnsomeWin

Re: DTF full band cover?
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
Rather then make a new thread I thought it'd be better to use this since it's a similar idea. I'm still interested in the full band cover idea, but now I can play more DT stuff that isn't Disappear, so I thought it'd be cool to get a group of people together for a band, and decide as a whole what to cover.

So if you're interested in doing that, make a post with your instrument!
Yeah. Not much to add. :P

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
I totally dropped the ball on this  :facepalm: sorry about that, I've got like 10 bands to deal with (I look up to Mike Portnoy a bit too much :lol- more than I can handle)

I actually did learn Disappear and I got your video (good job!) but I never got around to recording it. Audio is easy, it's the videoing that makes it harder to find time, and with a song like this I'd have to do them at the same time. Maybe I will though. I'm keyboards and vocals if needed.

Love this idea though, I even started a thread a long time ago about something like this. Now that I'm reminded we should really do this though. I know PMU, The Mirror, AD, and TBP really well. I also know an AWESOME guitar player who might want to join in depending on the song.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
Okay cool. I think I'll take drums but I can do bass if needed. I have a 6 string bass now so yeah. :P

Although I don't have a double bass pedal so if it's an intense double bass song it won't sound the same. I'm pretty good with single bass, though.

So I guess we need a bassist and a vocalist (or a keyboardist), since Mosh can help. While we wait, I guess we could pick one of the songs TheAtliator excels at as a possible song. Personally I'd pick The Mirror or The Bigger Picture, since they haven't really been covered on YouTube from what I can see (there's like a million covers of Another Day for some reason). I'd probably choose The Bigger Picture, since The Mirror doesn't have much to it on drums. Or we could do a completely different song.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
I'm a keyboardist, but I see the position has already been filled. That said, if there ever is a need for keyboards, I'd be up to it.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
What songs do you know?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
Okay cool. I think I'll take drums but I can do bass if needed. I have a 6 string bass now so yeah. :P

Although I don't have a double bass pedal so if it's an intense double bass song it won't sound the same. I'm pretty good with single bass, though.

So I guess we need a bassist and a vocalist (or a keyboardist), since Mosh can help. While we wait, I guess we could pick one of the songs TheAtliator excels at as a possible song. Personally I'd pick The Mirror or The Bigger Picture, since they haven't really been covered on YouTube from what I can see (there's like a million covers of Another Day for some reason). I'd probably choose The Bigger Picture, since The Mirror doesn't have much to it on drums. Or we could do a completely different song.
I love playing The Bigger Picture. Would love that one.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline dreamrafa

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
count me in for some cover... i play guitar, and i also can work on the mix and video editing... :)

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »
I'd be up for keyboards if a spot opens up!  I'm working on a keyboard cover of Learning To Live,  gonna throw it up on the forum once I got it down  :biggrin:  I also play drums, guitar and can sing, might not be able to hit the high notes though lol.

Offline Newmz

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
let's all do a DTF DT-Cover battle of the bands. :rollin