Author Topic: Type O Negative  (Read 6054 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Type O Negative
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
Am I the only fan of these guys on here? I discovered them earlier this year and they surprised me with how good some of their stuff is. For those who don't know, they're a gothic metal band from Brooklyn who released their first album in 1991 and broke up in 2010 when the main vocalist/songwriter died. They're surprisingly creative and experimental; they have a ton of atmosphere and cover a wide range of emotions, from depressing stuff to ironic self-parody. If you're into atmospheric metal like Katatonia or whatnot you should check them out.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else here listened to these guys, since there's no thread for them and they barely ever get mentioned.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Type O Negative
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
I've been a fan of theirs since the early 90s. I've had the pleasure of meeting them a couple of times and a friend of mine dated Peter at one point. I am pretty sure one or two of the members lived near me on Staten Island at some point.  My best friend was just at Johnny Kelly's wedding a few weeks ago.  My friend's wife and Johnny's wife work together.

What's your favorite CD of theirs? I am partial to October Rust, but World Coming Down is amazing too.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
a friend of mine dated Peter at one point.

Really? That's amazing. :lol

Hard to say... I've listened to October Rust, World Coming Down, and Life Is Killing Me. They're all pretty great.
October Rust is probably the most consistent, but WCD and LIKM have some amazing high points. I like the overall sound of LIKM the best, but a lot of songs in the 2nd half hold it back.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »
a friend of mine dated Peter at one point.

Really? That's amazing. :lol

Hard to say... I've listened to October Rust, World Coming Down, and Life Is Killing Me. They're all pretty great.
October Rust is probably the most consistent, but WCD and LIKM have some amazing high points. I like the overall sound of LIKM the best, but a lot of songs in the 2nd half hold it back.

Yeah, I didn't believe it at first either, but he corroborated it when I met him once.  She was devastated when he died.

Did you check out Bloody Kisses?

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
I've heard bits of Christian Woman and Black No. 1 but I haven't checked out the whole album yet.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:31:40 AM »
I've heard bits of Christian Woman and Black No. 1 but I haven't checked out the whole album yet.

You should, it's got a lot of great songs, although it's definitely in the bottom half of their discography for me. I guess that's more a testament to the strength of their other albums, though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 06:41:59 AM »
Christian Woman is my favorite Type O song.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »
I've only ever heard October Rust, but I love it.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Everything Dies is mine, easily.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
What was funny was that I was already a fan of TON and October Rust before I realized that Peter was the leader of one of my favorite thrash/punk bands of the late 80's....CARNIVORE.    Intentionally offensive to the extreme.   I *LOVED* it as a teenager (because I was just into *anything* that was shocking when I was a teenager) but I'm just not into the shock rock thing any more. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

Great song. Cool video. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
I hung out with Pete Steele in Brooklyn one night at a bar and had a blast. He was an amazingly fun guy to hang with! Don't know much of the music so I was anything but awestruck. I think that was one reason he warmed up to me. I didn't care who he was. I found out after the fact more about his band.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »

Love You to Death pips it for me, just.

Offline adace

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:01 AM »
I've heard a lot about this band but haven't checked them out until now. October Rust is a great album. I'm a big fan of goth and post-punk so this is right up my alley.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 05:39:12 AM »
I've heard a lot about this band but haven't checked them out until now. October Rust is a great album. I'm a big fan of goth and post-punk so this is right up my alley.

Then you would definitely like their earlier releases and last two releases most.  Check out Origin of the Feces, Slow Deep and Hard, Life is Killing Me and Dead Again.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »
big big big fan...was a fan of Pete's since his Carnivore (NYC Thrash band) days....seen them many times as well as the occasional Carnivore re-union shows...have all their albums ...Slow Deep and Hard is still one of my favorites...Bloody Kisses is the album that broke them (some what) . Was not a big fan of World Coming Down but Life Is Killing Me and Dead Again were both returns to what made the band great...Pete suffered from some terrible demons and alot of people take his lyrics as tongue in cheek, but underneath the lyrics was a man who questioned life continously and wore his emotions on his sleeve ( and in his lyrics)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 07:27:11 AM »
Male Supremacy was a great song from Carnivore!

I remember a t-shirt they had where the back said "If you can't eat it or f*ck it, then kill it."   Classic!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 07:35:31 AM »

I remember a t-shirt they had where the back said "If you can't eat it or f*ck it, then kill it."   Classic!

I had a Carnivore T shirt that had the Carnivore 'Sickle/Wheel of Doom" design with "God is Dead" printed across the front..only wore it a handful of times because of the shitstorm it created when I did

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »

I had a Carnivore T shirt that had the Carnivore 'Sickle/Wheel of Doom" design with "God is Dead" printed across the front..only wore it a handful of times because of the shitstorm it created when I did

:lol

Damn the man!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
My wife and I are huge Type O fans.  We discovered them when we saw them opening for Queensryche (Promised Land tour), and have followed them ever since. 

Offline adace

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »

Then you would definitely like their earlier releases and last two releases most.  Check out Origin of the Feces, Slow Deep and Hard, Life is Killing Me and Dead Again.
I plan on going through their entire discography at some point.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
I'm a big fan. I'm still waiting for Pete to pop up out of nowhere, laughing at everyone for believing he was dead. It still hasn't sunk in he's gone.
"October Rust" is probably my favorite album. There's not a bad track on it, and the atmosphere is unparalleled.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
:bump:

I've been getting into Type O recently - my favorite album so far has to be either October Rust or Life Is Killing Me. I love Everything Dies, Love You to Death and Christian Woman, but Haunted is my favorite song because it's such a... well, haunting song :lol I like how they managed to write both depressive and funny stuff. Peter had an impressive vocal range and a good sense of humor; it's a shame he had to pass away so early :sad:

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
I've only heard October Rust (I own the album as well); I enjoy the album, but for some reason I've never taken the time to explore the rest of their discography, which I think I am going to do right now. Love You to Death and Red Water are my favorite songs of theirs at the moment.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
I always described them as Comedy Metal, there's quite a few very funny songs and lyrics.

Greetings...
Nef

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
I always described them as Comedy Metal, there's quite a few very funny songs and lyrics.

Greetings...
Nef

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes them really unique. On one hand they've got some really goofy songs and don't really take themselves too seriously, and on the other hand they've got some truly emotional and depressing shit, like on World Coming Down.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »

Greetings...
Nef

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes them really unique. On one hand they've got some really goofy songs and don't really take themselves too seriously, and on the other hand they've got some truly emotional and depressing shit, like on World Coming Down.

indeed, which is a convincing reason not to call them comedy metal — it implies everything they do is supposed to be funny, and it's not. every album has a mix of chuckle tracks and serious ones, with the emphasis always in the favour of serious. that's also why it doesn't work for SYL.

Calvin6s

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity

some of the lyrics
You had cock on your mind
And cum on your breath
Inserted that diaphragm before you left
Practicing freelance gynecology
Where there's a womb there's a way
With you it's for free

Slut
You bloody whore
Cunt

I know you're fucking someone else
(he knows you're fucking someone else)

Christian Woman is the first song I heard from them and it blew my little mind.  Love You to Death is the song that made them an all time favorite for me.  But some of that early stuff (like above) cracks me up.

And the tongue in cheek songs like below are hilarious as well:
Kill all the white people

Then we'll be free
We'll be free

Then we'll be free
We'll be free

Kill them all, right
Kill them all

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
Not sure how many people are familiar with Peter Steele's pre-Type O band Carnivore.   My best friend and I were so HUGE into Carnivore.   If you've never heard them, please remedy that right away. 

It's more of a thrash-crossover NYHC type of sound.   And the lyrics are intentionally over the top offensive...not entirely unlike SOD.   Their self titled debut is pretty good...but the follow-up Retaliation is a masterpiece on par with Speak English or Die.  (if you're into that sort of thing)

Jesus Hitler is a hilarious song.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »
Not sure how many people are familiar with Peter Steele's pre-Type O band Carnivore.   My best friend and I were so HUGE into Carnivore.   If you've never heard them, please remedy that right away. 

It's more of a thrash-crossover NYHC type of sound.   And the lyrics are intentionally over the top offensive...not entirely unlike SOD.   Their self titled debut is pretty good...but the follow-up Retaliation is a masterpiece on par with Speak English or Die.  (if you're into that sort of thing)

Jesus Hitler is a hilarious song.

Male Supremacy is a great song

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
Bumping this thread.

Right now I'm listening to the Live, Rare, and Hard bootleg. It has a few demo tracks and a live set of Carnivore in New York.   What's great about one of the demo songs is the original version of Summer Breeze.  They changed the lyrics but Seals & Croft didn't like the new version so they weren't allowed to release it on the official release. This version is actually called Summer Girl. This was the lyrics to one of the versus....in true Type O Negative fashion.    :lol

Kenny Hickey lying on the sidewalk
Devil music from the house next door
So I step on over his vomit
Through the screen and across the floor

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
i love that version! lately i've been into the Life is Killing me promo with alt mixes and running order; i think i prefer that tracklist to the finished one.

also, just to let people know it exists: a new forum dedicated to Type O has popped up (aftermath of the official forum closing – bunch of people from there so far, as well as some from Echoing the Sound) at typeonegative.co. everyone's welcome to join in :)

edit: i suck at BBcode
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:06:45 PM by seasonsinthesky »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »
for people who are curious or big fans who didn't know, Jeff Wagner, who wrote the Prog Metal book Mean Deviation, recently wrote and published a book about the life of Peter Steele.

https://www.petersteelebio.com/

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »
for people who are curious or big fans who didn't know, Jeff Wagner, who wrote the Prog Metal book Mean Deviation, recently wrote and published a book about the life of Peter Steele.

That will be an interesting read.  Thanks for posting that.

i love that version! lately i've been into the Life is Killing me promo with alt mixes and running order; i think i prefer that tracklist to the finished one.

also, just to let people know it exists: a new forum dedicated to Type O has popped up (aftermath of the official forum closing – bunch of people from there so far, as well as some from Echoing the Sound) at [url]typeonegative.co[/]. everyone's welcome to join in :)

I used to be on the forum years ago. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 05:25:54 AM »

I was looking forward to that, but then this happened:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/type-o-negative-members-not-cooperating-in-telling-of-peter-steele-s-story/

Then this happened:

https://fortheloveofpetesteele.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/family-withdraws-from-grossly-distorted.html

And now I'm not so sure  :-\