Author Topic: ?'s roulette v. IT'S OVER  (Read 16375 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: ?'s roulette v. ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
Sent. :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 07:23:40 AM »
Results soon?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
Still missing Lolz and Scorp...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:21:45 PM by ? »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Round 2 results!
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:33 AM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

MoraWintersoul: Apocalyptica - Farewell

As a Finn I've obviously heard Apocalyptica's radio hits, but I'm not familiar with their instrumental side. As you said, this song is super sad and of course I'm a sucker for that kind of music :lol I gotta appreciate how Apocalyptica manage to make heavy-sounding music with just cellos. This song would've been perfect for round 8, but sending it now was a good idea, because this was one of the highlights of the round for me.

9/10

Onno: Mark Knopfler - Privateering

My dad is a Dire Straits fan and I've liked the stuff I've heard by them. Knopfler's solo material seems to be pretty different from his former band's music, but I enjoy the mildly melancholic vibe of this song and the build-up is great. I also like how he hums to the guitar melody at some points; it's pretty infectious :D Maybe I should pick up my guitar and learn this piece...

8.5/10

Nekov: Sea Wolf - In Nothing

Acoustic indie... I like the instrumentation and the simplistic (bass?) riff around the 2-minute mark is neat, but I'm not crazy about the singer's voice and the melodies didn't manage to grab me. So yeah, you were right when you thought this might not be my cup of tea, but I think it's an alright tune.

6.5/10

Dark Castle: CHVRCHES - Gun

Just when I was wondering if I'm gonna get any electronic stuff I received this piece of synth pop. The singer's voice is beautiful and the song is extremely catchy! I don't like dancing, but I could do some improvised moves to this tune, because I love it :lol I recommend this to anyone who thinks no good pop music is made anymore.

9.5/10

LieLowTheWantedMan: The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health

Unlike some other bands/artists my sister is a fan of, The Knife isn't on the forbidden list because she hasn't played anything by them when I've been around. I heard some 10-minute piece of theirs on the radio (you read that right!) in August and I found it really weird, but as you said this song is somewhat accessible. I'll probably never become a fan of this band due to the vocals, but I find this song likeable, because it's not too bizarre, but not too safe either.

7/10

WindMaster: Trioscapes - Blast Off

Jazz metal? :o I've never heard anything like this before! The song is pretty crazy, but extremely cool at the same time. I like how unique and fun this is -  the saxophone playing gave me a wide smile and the bass soloing is neat. Good musicianship!

8/10

Lolzeez: Fiona Apple - Periphery

I assume this is some kind of indie stuff? The piano playing is nice and the song has a playful vibe, but for some reason it failed to grab me properly. While decent, the song is a bit run-of-the-mill for my taste, because I've heard stuff like this before by other artists and I can't help getting this "been there, done that" feel.

6/10

Scorpion: The Dresden Dolls - Delilah

For some reason this song reminds me a little bit of Anathema's cover of Better Off Dead by Bad Religion. That's not a bad thing at all though! I like the singer's voice and the build-up works really well. Not a mindblowing tune, but I definitely enjoy it. Funnily enough, one of my friends recently posted on FB how she has just discovered TDD and loves them. Maybe I'll try some other songs of theirs in the near future ;)

7.5/10

Current ranking:

Onno - 17
Dark Castle - 16
MoraWintersoul - 16
Nekov - 15.5
Scorpion - 15
Lolzeez - 14
WindMaster - 13.5
LieLowTheWantedMan - 13

Onno is in the lead now! All in all, this was a really good round and I received a huge variety of music. Remember that 6/10 is the same as 3/5, so you haven't sent me any below average songs so far!

ROUND 3: Lead vocals by multiple singers

Once again, the title says it all. Your song doesn't have to be "just" a duet, because there's no limit for the amount of singers, but remember that they have to sing some lines of their own instead of mere backing vocals or harmonies. I won't give you a specific deadline, because I'll go on a trip on either Sunday or Monday and won't be able to use Youtube for a day, so it's possible that the results won't be posted until Tuesday. But of course if you manage to send your stuff quickly enough I may post the results on Sunday already!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
D:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
Sweet, I'm glad you liked!  :laugh:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »
Holy shit, I had not expected this at all. Glad you liked it!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
Sweet, I'm glad you liked!  :laugh:
I'm listening to it right now and holy shizz so awesome.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
Ah well. Sent round 3. Hope you enjoy this one!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
Sent, although I titled my pm to you Round 4 :P

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Be quick (see my latest post for info)!
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »
Updated the band list in the OP. Additionally, here's some important info:

As I said in my previous post I'll go on a trip tomorrow, but due to a change of plans I'll be away for 2 days (with no computer). If you send your submissions right away, I'll post the results for round 3 before I go and I'll listen to the round 4 songs when I get back from the trip.

Offline Onno

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2013, 03:15:10 AM »
Sent

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2013, 03:23:11 AM »
Sent!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
Sent

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »
Great, only WindMaster's song is still missing! :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Round 3 results
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2013, 02:16:27 AM »
ROUND 3 RESULTS

Dark Castle: Black Tusk - Bring Me Darkness

I have no idea which metal subgenre this song belongs to, but it's pretty cool. Unfortunately I'm not into the shouting vocal style the singers use here (melodic vocals or actual growls would've worked better IMO), but musically this song isn't bad - there's solid riffing that reminds me a bit of old stoner/doom metal and the bass-driven bit is neat.

7/10

Lolzeez: Ayreon - Isolation

I kind of knew someone would send Ayreon because of the theme :D But yeah, there's no way a song featuring LaBrie AND Åkerfeldt can be bad! The spacey interlude after the 5½-minute mark reminds me of On the Run by Pink Floyd and it's followed by some good soloing. All in all, the song has great dynamics and the interplay between the singers is nice.

8.5/10

Scorpion: Diablo Swing Orchestra - A Rancid Romance

Some kind of weird tango/opera metal... :eek The combination is fun and cool, but this kind of music is a bit too crazy for my taste. That said, the heavy bits are tasty and the song manages to remain somewhat coherent despite the mood changes.

6.5/10

Onno: Diablo Swing Orchestra - A Tap Dancer's Dilemma

Another DSO song... Unfortunately I like this less than the previous one, because the craziness level is even higher here. The beginning of the song is cool though. Sorry I have to rate this so low, dude!

5.5/10

MoraWintersoul: Star One - Human See, Human Do

A. Lucassen must have a phone book with the numbers of every prog/metal singer in the world :lol The intro is very rocking - dat Hammond! The vocalists get to show their talents, but the song is musically good as well and doesn't solely rely on the stars. Swanö's growling bit is awesome :metal To quote the top commenter on the YT video: "human hear, human like".

8/10

Nekov: Pure Reason Revolution - Bullits Dominae

The clean guitar intro caught my attention and I was hooked right away! The song has a vibe reminiscent of Porcupine Tree and Katatonia, sounding very atmospheric and kind of dark. The singers have great voices for this kind of music and the little subtleties like the violin add to the greatness. Not a perfect song, but pretty close! :hefdaddy

9.5/10

LieLowTheWantedMan: Sweet Trip - DSCO

"IDM indie pop sorta music with shoegaze-like production". I found this description very intriguing and the song does sound like a more electronic and accessible My Bloody Valentine. There's a pleasantly light feel here... Very innocent and perhaps kind of childlike, but not too naive at all. Me likey!

9/10

WindMaster: Of Monsters and Men - Mountain Song

The folky upbeat vibe is neat and the song is catchy. I find the male singer's voice kind of annoying (this quality seems to be typical for indie :lol), but luckily the girl performs more vocals because she has a nice voice. Also, it seems that there's some unwritten rule that every indie song needs to include some clapping :rollin

7.5/10

Current ranking:

Nekov - 25
MoraWintersoul - 24
Dark Castle - 23
Onno - 22.5
Lolzeez - 22.5
LieLowTheWantedMan - 22
Scorpion - 21.5
WindMaster - 21

Nekov is at the top again and the standings have shifted a bit. This round was kind of inconsistent, but as always I received some awesome songs too :)

ROUND 4: B-sides

The first song you hear by any band or artist usually is a "hit" or at least a regular album track, but this time I want you to impress me with something that hasn't been released on the standard edition of a full-length album. Songs from EP's are allowed!

As I previously said I'll be away from home for a couple of days and won't be able to listen to any of your submissions until Tuesday evening at earliest, so you should expect results on Wednesday (assuming all the songs have been sent by then).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
Cool! :) Glad you liked.

Offline Onno

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »
Well, I kinda expected this  :lol Props to zeez for sending Ayreon, should've thought of that :)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2013, 04:51:37 AM »
Catching up! Now,I gotta think of what the heck am I gonna send.  :rollin

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 09:03:19 AM »

I really love that song and I'm glad you liked it too  :smiley:

This new round is a tough one. Let's see what I can come up with

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 02:34:10 AM »
Only LieLow and WindMaster's submissions are missing, I'll start listening when I get back home in a few hours.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 04:52:12 AM »
 :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
I really don't know many B-Sides. I'll try and think of one.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
I really don't know many B-Sides. I'll try and think of one.
I found a ton of good ones,want some help?

Cause I only enjoy fights when they are fair. *evil laugh*

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s roulette v. Round 4 results!
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 04:49:28 AM »
ROUND 4 RESULTS

Lolzeez: Talk Talk - John Cope

I've heard good things about Talk Talk and been supposed to check them out, but never actually done so. Better late than never, because this song has a great relaxed atmosphere - mellow but not boring. The singer reminds me a bit of Steven Wilson and the keyboard work is neat. I really need to listen to some Talk Talk album soon!

9.5/10

Dark Castle: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Long Progression

I thought this song would be long and progressive :neverusethis: Funky music isn't my thing and knowing the RHCP style I wasn't expecting a lot from this song, but it's actually decent. I'm still not convinced this kind of stuff is my cup of tea and don't enjoy the vocals that much, but I wouldn't mind hearing this again.

6/10

Scorpion: Agalloch - Pantheist

Wow, the photo in the video fits the song perfectly! Listening to this acoustic/ambient piece makes me think of wintry forests and that's a good thing :D Agalloch is a familiar name and I know they're a metal band (Mikael Åkerfeldt once said he can hear some things in their songs that have been ripped off from Opeth - I have the magazine where he says this!), but I find it refreshing to hear this kind of music instead of something heavy. I like the little elements like the wordless vocals, electric guitars and percussion that add to the song and prevent it from becoming monotonous.

8.5/10

Onno: Rammstein - Mein Land

Rammstein are very popular in Finland and I've heard some of their songs, but not this one. The video is really funny, but also overshadows the song itself, which isn't that special. It lacks a catchy chorus or an ass-kicking riff that would make it stand out. I know Rammstein can do better, so maybe there's a reason this wasn't released on an album.

7/10

MoraWintersoul: Beastmilk - Children of the Atom Bomb

Finnish post-punk... Looks like these guys are going to play in Tampere next week! Anyway, this song is nice but lacks something, maybe due to the short duration. It just comes and goes without leaving an impression. I like the feel of the song though.

6.5/10

Nekov: Russian Circles - Death Rides a Horse

Instrumental metal (or instrumetal :P)... There's some cool riffing and I like the explosive ending. The bit after the 2½-minute mark is especially great! However, my attention was kind of drifting at times, which forces me to give a slightly lower score.

7.5/10

LieLowTheWantedMan: Elliott Smith - Miss Misery

I've only heard OSI's cover of Christian Brothers and I don't find that song too great, but it's good that Smith has written something better. There are some great vocal harmonies and catchy melodies here! I also like how there's some drumming so this isn't just a basic singer/songwriter tune (although I wouldn't have a problem with one).

8/10

WindMaster: ISIS - Pliable Foe

I haven't heard a lot of post-metal, but now I think I should listen to more of it! This song is almost 8 minutes long, but the build-up keeps things interesting - the clean guitars and vocals get replaced with distorted guitars and screams towards the end. Perhaps kind of predictable, but the transitions are seamless and the atmosphere remains the same without getting too repetitive.

9/10

Current ranking:

Nekov - 32.5
Lolzeez - 32
MoraWintersoul - 30.5
LieLowTheWantedMan - 30
Scorpion - 30
WindMaster - 30
Onno - 29.5
Dark Castle - 29

Nekov stays in the lead, but the competition is getting tougher!

ROUND 5: Atmospheric

I love atmospheric music, so I want you to send me something that fits the description. Dreamy, ethereal or whatever... Use your imagination! :D Now that I'm not travelling I give you 2 days (48 hours) for sending songs.

Offline Onno

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:28 AM »
Well, I was expecting that, but I couldn't come up with anything better  :lol I do have something great for this round, sending in a few minutes.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 06:11:45 AM »
 :D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »
Awww yeah!  :hat
Now,I gotta send some good stuff so I can pass Nekov.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 06:34:02 AM »

A. Lucassen must have a phone book with the numbers of every prog/metal singer in the world :lol The intro is very rocking - dat Hammond! The vocalists get to show their talents, but the song is musically good as well and doesn't solely rely on the stars. Swanö's growling bit is awesome :metal To quote the top commenter on the YT video: "human hear, human like".

8/10

Milena, you rock!  ?, you short changed her at least 7 points.  This song is at the top of my last.fm ratings.  Fantastic song!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 07:04:08 AM »
I suspected there was a reason you didn't have the Red Hot Chili Peppers on your list :P Usually RHCP are a band people love or hate, but I'm glad you enjoyed the song at least, so it wasn't a total bust  :tup

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 07:06:06 AM »

8/10

Milena, you rock!  ?, you short changed her at least 7 points.  This song is at the top of my last.fm ratings.  Fantastic song!
That Star One song was awesome, but as always the competition was tough. Giving scores can be nerve-wrecking sometimes!

On a side note, here's Åkerfeldt's comment on Agalloch in the original context (translated by me):
Can you hear the influence of Opeth on other bands?

At least not in the music of [In Flames and Meshuggah]! (laughs) But of course you sometimes come across bands like that... I think our style is so refined that it's hard for those copying it to hide the influence. Sometimes you see a demo band whose name is taken from a song title of ours or the combination of a few titles, for example Morningrise. I once came across this band called Agalloch. They reportedly hated Opeth, even though some of their songs were clearly rip-offs of the things we do.
I also remember one of my friends saying Agalloch's music is alright, but the vocals suck. Not very encouraging comments, but I'm happy to say the song Scorp sent is great!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:12:06 AM by ? »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 07:34:54 AM »
The vocals certainly don't suck, you just might not find them to your tastes if you don't like much black metal.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
I'm not big on black metal vocals (or the subgenre in general), but I guess at least their folk/ambient side is worth checking out! BTW, the guy who made the "Agalloch's vocals suck" comment likes black metal much more than I do :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Cool. :) I think I might be good at this category, I just have to think of what the best choice will be.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:04 PM »
Really glad you liked ISIS!
I can send tomorrow.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.