Author Topic: Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes v. I'm back...with a vengeance. *SPOILERS*  (Read 21856 times)

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Re: Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes (FlyingBIZKIT #16) *SPOILERS*
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
Grilled is one of my favorite episodes from any tv show. The amount of suspense you're feeling when walt puts the ricin in the burrito is insane. I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time again.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
Sorry for no updates past few days, super busy weekend. I have not forgotten.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »
Boooooooo to these infrequent updates. :(

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
Tomorrow at noon my friend, I promise! Sorry :P

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Sorry for the absence of posts, I had a busy weekend, and school has actually started to take a hold on me. But, it's Breaking Bad, so that's no damn excuse! Carrying on..

#15. Granite State (Season 5)

"It's over"

After the climactic "Ozymandias", this episode takes a bit of a breather, and sets the basis for the finale. This episode is slow-paced, but it's very well made. Jack and Co. stole Jesse's confession tape from Marie's house, and when they see that Jesse admits Todd killed Drew Sharp, Todd lets out a grin that is full of pride. It's very bizarre and creepy that he finds enjoyment out of killing that kid. Jack begins to question why they even need Jesse anymore, because they already have a shit ton of cash. Plus, they don't trust Jesse. Jack then heads to the cell where Jesse is held, but Todd convinces him not to kill Jesse. Jack then realizes it's because Todd has this thing for Lydia (but Lydia surely doesn't have a thing for Todd). Todd has actually spared Jesse on two occasions, yet he hurts the people he loves. Jesse uses a paperclip to get out of his handcuffs, and he attempts to flee the scene. He doesn't get very far, and claims he will not cook for those "psychofucks". Todd then responds by killing Andrea, leaving Jesse devastated. Earlier in this episode, Todd breaks into the White residence and threatens Skyler. Walt Jr is at his brutha-from-anotha-motha's house. Todd gets Skyler to promise she will not say anything about Lydia.

Meanwhile, Walt and Saul have the same plan: GTFO. In the basement of the vacuum store, Walt commands Saul to give him a list of names of hitmen he could use to take out Uncle Jack and his Neo-Nazi gang. Saul refuses, and leaves to Nebraska. Later, Walt is taken to his new home in the beautiful Granite State, New Hampshire. It's nothing fancy, and it's actually quite nice. It's very secluded, which is the most important thing. He has literally nothing to do at the house, and he can't leave, if he wants to stay hidden. Ed, the vacuum disappear guy, heads to Walt's new home once a month to deliver anything Walt needs. A couple months pass, and it's just like a normal routine. Walt has lost weight, and he's having homemade chemo-therapy. As Ed is about to leave, Walt politely asks if he could stay for another hour or two, and that he will pay him ten grand just for doing it. This signifies Walt's loneliness, and even after all the corrupt shit he has done, I still feel bad for him right here. Walt soon decides he wants to leave, and he wants to send what money he has to his family. He goes to a bar, and calls Walt Jr at the school. He offers the money, but Flynn gets pissed and repeatedly yells "YOU KILLED UNCLE HANK" like a maniac. The last thing he says to his dad is that he needs to die already. How sad. Walt then calls the DEA and feels he's done, and wants to turn himself in. He takes a drink, and finds the Schwartz couple being interviewed on television. Walt watches, and flees.

Favorite Scene: The very last scene, when Walt is watching Gretchen and Elliott talk down on him. They basically say he had nothing to do with the success of Gray Matter, and that he is forever gone. Walt clenches his fists, and you can just see all the bad thoughts run through his head. Just when you think Walt is done, he gets his Heisenberg mode back on. He then leaves, with a plan. I always wanted the theme song of the show to be played in an episode, and it was. It fit the mood perfectly, and it just made me even more excited for the finale.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:15:35 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Re: Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes (FlyingBIZKIT #15) *SPOILERS*
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
This is a great episode. Nice pick!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
It was a good episode, like nearly all of them, but I don't think it would make my top 20. Maybe it's because it had to follow up Ozymandias that I didn't enjoy it as much...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:16 PM »
It was really good, but it wouldn't make my top 20 (the episodes before and after it both would). 

I loved that they used Robert Forster as the disappearing guy.  Great casting!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
This episode should be much higher, IMO.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
I know my updates are slow, but I have two major tests tomorrow and I just need to get those out of the way. Thanks for your patience.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 10:44:14 PM »
Any Breaking Bad fan knows how to wait v.nowfollowing

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
True :lol :metal

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes (FlyingBIZKIT #14) *SPOILERS*
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
#14. Full Measure (Season 3)

"I saved your life, Jesse, are you gonna save mine?"

The season 3 finale packs quite the punch. This episode is pretty straightforward, and really keeps its focus throughout (as all of them do). Walt realizes Gale has come close to mastering the cooking sessions, and as a result, that means Gus simply won't need Walt anymore. They don't trust Walt, and believe he is a major liability, considering his brother is a DEA agent. Not only that, but Walt is stubborn and defiant, and he always wants his way. Gale is much more simple than Walt. Gale is simply a follower and he remains very loyal to Gus. The two G's get along quite nicely, and that always helps in the business field. Early on in the episode, Gus threatens Walt, but Walt gives him a few reasonable options. He says you can kill me, and search for Jesse. The other option is just to forget it and move on. Gus thinks otherwise, and wants Gale. Walt and Jesse find a secluded place to discuss the issue at hand, and Walt wants Jesse to "take care of" Gale. Jesse doesn't quite understand and he wants Walt to find another way, such as turning himself in. Walt has too much ego and worth to just give up. Jesse refuses to kill Gale, so Walt then takes the responsibility.  He does, however, want Jesse to obtain Gale's address so he at least knows where to find him. Walt is on his way to kill Gale, and before he can leave his house, Victor claims there's something wrong in the lab, and he needs to be there. It turns out he's going to be killed, and Mike is going to be the guy who does it. Walt begs for mercy and wants to find another solution. He does, as always. He tells Mike he can find Jesse and turn him in, but he needs to hold a meeting with him somewhere. When he calls Jesse, he quickly states that he has a head start and they are about to kill him.  Mike and Vic point their guns at Walt, not knowing what the Hell is going on. Walt tells them " you might wanna hold off, your boss is gonna need me." They learn that Jesse is on his way to kill Gale, and they don't know what to fuggin' do. Jesse arrives at Gale's house.  He points the gun at him and starts crying. Gale is confused and afraid, and out of nowh..BAM!

That's one hell of a cliff hanger. I didn't catch up in time to watch season 3 while it was airing, as I finished it a couple months before the start of 4. Thank God, I don't know how I could go that long on a cliffhanger like that. Well, 5 was pretty damn big.

Favorite Scene: Walt's phone call to Jesse. Just when you think Walt is screwed, the tables turn and Walt is in control. It displays the brilliant mind of Walt, and how he thinks on his feet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:15:54 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
this would be in my top 5 definitely. Suspense at the end is incredible, and then walt is just like "5454 wantaboe aptmt 6" and it's so badass. Great episode!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 06:18:19 PM »
"I'm gonna need some assurance."

"I assure you, I could kill you from over here."

Awesome episode. :tup :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes (FlyingBIZKIT #13) *SPOILERS*
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
#13. Confessions (Season 5)

“Just drop the whole concerned dad thing and tell me the truth … Just ask me for a favor. Just tell me you don’t give a shit about me, and it’s either this -- it’s either this, or you’ll kill me the same way you killed Mike.”

Jesse and Hank have another encounter, though this time it's a little more peaceful. Hank tells Jesse that he already knows about Walt, and he needs more information so he can be put behind bars. Saul crashes the party and informs Walt about what's going on. At the White residence, Walt Jr insists that he goes to Hank and Marie's to help with a computer problem. Walt already knows they're onto him and that they are trying to take his family away from him. Walt tells his son that his cancer has come back. An upset Flynn stays home to support his dad. Walt and Skyler create a confession tape, claiming that Hank was responsible for everything: Killing Gus, threatening Walt, and obtaining that amount of money. The tables have turned, as Walt is in full control. Hank has to be careful of his next actions because he has little to no credibility. Walt, Jesse and Saul meet in the desert. Jesse informs Mr. White of what Hank knows, and that he's trying to get more info. Walt encourages Jesse to get away and start a new life. He goes on and on about the wonderful possibilities he has. Pinkman catches on, and finally tells Walt to stop  "working" him. He gets very emotional and yells at Walt, saying everything is about him, and not about himself. Jesse knows that Walt is manipulative, but just can't seem to escape it. Later, Jesse heads to Saul's office and says he wants to go to Alaska. After everything is set up, he goes to meet the mysterious mover guy, and comes to a sudden realization that Walt told Saul to have his ricin lifted from him when Brock was poisoned. Jesse leaves and returns to Saul's office, enraged. He threatens to kill Saul, but Saul claims that he had no idea of Walt's intentions.  Jesse steals Saul's car and drives furiously to Walt's. Saul then calls Walt and reports to him of Jesse's next moves, so Walt grabs a revolver from the soda machine at the car wash. Jesse drives up to Walt's house, and vigorously pours gasoline throughout the house.

Favorite Scene: So many contenders here, but the confession tape is the most powerful scene. At this point, you think Hank has an advantage, and can get Walt caught at any moment. After they view the confession tape, it is completely different. Hank looks like the villain, and Walt appears to be innocent. It isn't going to be this easy for Hank. He'll have to think carefully from now on.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:16:12 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »
The tape bit was brilliant.  Really unexpected development, but made a lot of sense.  Wish season five had gone more along those lines.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Another excellent episode (well let's face it, they're all good)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
That was an excellent episode, and the tape bit was likely a top 3-5 scene from the entire series, for me. Probably my second favorite from the final stretch, behind Ozy.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »
#12. Fly (Season 3)

"I'm saying I've lived too long"

This is the most controversial episode of the entire series, no doubt. It's either among people's favorites, or among their worst. For me, it's one of the best. Not quite THE best, but it's up there. It's the most unique episode of the whole series. The only two characters seen in it are Walt and Jesse. The big reason for this type of episode was the fact that they didn't have the budget to make an episode with more cast members and locations. Ironically, it's one of the best. This episode contains much of the humor found in the early episodes of Breaking Bad, but by the end, it turns out to be a very meaningful and significant episode. During the whole episode, Walt has this strange obsession with killing a fly that somehow entered the lab. He calls it a "contamination", and Jesse ponders his insanity. There's a bond between this two, something along the lines of a "father and son" relationship. This is an episode that I appreciate even more, now that the show is over. Anyway, Walt and Jesse continue searching for the fly, and Walt makes daredevil attempts just to remove it. Walt hasn't slept in days because of this ongoing obsession, so Jesse puts some sleeping pills in his drink. The pills work, as Walt is starting to talk nonsense and is close to falling asleep. Jesse tells Walt about how an opossum was living under his Aunt's house. Then even when the opossum was gone, his aunt still insisted it was there. Jesse says it's a sign that her cancer has spread. Walt then says he is in remission, and that he missed the perfect moment. Jesse is confused at what seems to be a good thing. Walt wanted to die when he had already gotten the money for his family, and now that his health has improved, he feels like he has to explain everything, and he simply does not know how to. Walt mentions to Jesse that he is sorry about Jane, and you start to think he is going to admit he let her die. He doesn't. Walt passes out, and right after, Jesse successfully kills the fly. Even Jesse is excited and he knows Walt will be proud of him. There's a lot to this episode, more than just a fly.

Favorite Scene: I look at the episode as one big scene. All of it is just great.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:16:36 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 20 Breaking Bad Episodes (FlyingBIZKIT #12) *SPOILERS*
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »
"Even the government doesn't care that much about quality. You know what is okay to put in hot dogs? Huh? Pig lips and assholes. But I say, 'hey, have at it, bitches,' 'cause I love hot dogs."

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
when did it become opossum? I remember when we just called them possums.

Jesse is hilarious in this episode

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

Read that as Jesus.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

I don't know. I thought it was always opossums. Weird word, anyway :lol

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
This show was simply fantastic.  I watched all five seasons in little less than a month and I can't say I've watched a better drama.  It's actually like one, big , long movie, really.  The beginning, middle, and end all wrapped up properly...completely satisfying.

Enjoying your write-ups, FlyingBIZKIT!   :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
My goodness I have an absolute shitty memory :lol

I will do my next tomorrow :metal

And thanks! :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
This thread is the biggest tease ever. :lol

I could have made my list and gotten it done already. :biggrin:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
I'm in Florida this weekend! ;D

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
I'm in Florida this weekend! ;D
Where in Florida?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
Tallahassee for the FSU game :hat

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Rats, far from Orlando it is

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately . I haven't been down to Orlando in years!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
Sorry, been a rough few weeks for me..carrying on..

#11. To'hajiilee (Season 5)

“I gotta go. May be a while before I get home.”

Some might say this is a little high, and while the episode is on the slower side, the last half of it is amazing television. How in the hell was I going to wait a week after what happened?? I did, but it wasn't easy. Jesse has a plan, and because it's Jesse who came up with the idea, of course it won't work. It sure looked like it would, and he even made Walt look like a fool (a rarity). However, as soon as Walt gave Jack the coordinates, I knew right then things would not work in Jesse's favor. Walt drives furiously to the To'hajiilee reservation, where he and Jesse first cooked. Things have changed significantly since then.. Walt tries to retrieve the money he buried out there because Jesse fooled him into thinking he found his barrels and was going to burn his money. Keep in mind, Jesse knows about Brock, and this is why he's so set on getting Walt. When Walt arrives, he already realizes he was tricked. He hides as Hank, Gomie, and Jesse arrive at the scene. He then calls Jack and tells him to hold off on killing Jesse, because Hank is there with him. Those stubborn dickfucks don't listen and head out there anyway. Hank arrests Walt, and this is the moment he has been waiting for, to finally get Heisenberg. He calls Marie, and little does he know, that's the last conversation they have.  Jack and his crew arrive and then a gun battle ensues between them and the two lone DEA agents.

Favorite Scene: Walt being tricked, because it's probably the first time he has ever been fooled THAT bad. It shows his vulnerability
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:17:12 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
 :metal I've been waiting for this to come back.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not very reliable.