Author Topic: Interesting Documentaries  (Read 11616 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Interesting Documentaries
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »
The Greatest Movie Ever Sold: About product placement in film, tv, music and pretty much any media. The movie is also funded by sponsers. Its a great film and reveals just how much control product placement/funding for a media project has once you ask and they make up the contract....ex. Quentin Teratino's diner scene always was meant to be Dennys but Dennys didn't agree to have their brand on that type of movie so he just had to script, diner like dennys.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
The Greatest Movie Ever Sold: About product placement in film, tv, music and pretty much any media. The movie is also funded by sponsers. Its a great film and reveals just how much control product placement/funding for a media project has once you ask and they make up the contract....ex. Quentin Teratino's diner scene always was meant to be Dennys but Dennys didn't agree to have their brand on that type of movie so he just had to script, diner like dennys.

because of that movie, the wife and I decided to try POM pomegranate juice and we liked it, so we buy it every once in a while (very expensive!) - so I guess it worked!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »

because of that movie, the wife and I decided to try POM pomegranate juice and we liked it, so we buy it every once in a while (very expensive!) - so I guess it worked!

Apparently...haha, it also shows why rappers are blinging it, mainly the sellout mainstream
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
Paradise Lost 1+2+3 done over the last 17 years.  The best Doc with a crazy unforeseen (in Doc #1 filmed in mid 90's) but true ending.

Children of Beslan,  about the terrorist take over of that school in Chechyna. 

Theres something wrong with Aunt Diane.

In Memorium.  911 through the eyes of 2 french brothers documenting a manhattan fire company on that day

When the Levees broke 1 + 2.  Spike lee on Katrina

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
Indie Game: The Movie

Follows the developers of Fez and Super Meat Boy as they struggle to get their games finished. Obviously it's oriented towards people interested in games, but it really just deals with the amount of drive, passion, and neuroticism that goes into making a living off of an art.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
Super Size Me & Sound City are both pretty fun.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
If you are interested in the more "unsung" of performers, I highly recommend "20 Feet From Stardom"

https://twentyfeetfromstardom.com/

A most fantastic film!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Follows the developers of Fez and Super Meat Boy as they struggle to get their games finished. Obviously it's oriented towards people interested in games, but it really just deals with the amount of drive, passion, and neuroticism that goes into making a living off of an art.

Great movie.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
So yea wow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCQh1usdzE

VICE delivers yet again.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »
I always enjoy watching Super Size Me.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »
The Ghost Army. By far one of the most amazing stories from WWII. How this hasnt become a major Hollywood picture yet amazes me. The website for the film is equally cool. Especially the story of the old Frenchmen on bicycles.

https://www.ghostarmy.org/

Highly recommend this.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
Dear Zachary is the most recent documentary I've watched. Really really sad.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 01:28:32 AM »
Can't believe I'm the first to say this. BBC's/Attenborough's Africa. That's on top of the must see list for anyone. I also enjoyed Wonders of the solar system quite a bit.

- Tiko

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 03:01:03 AM »
The kids and I watch documentaries fairly often. They're at that really curious age which is great. On movie night a few weeks ago, we were looking for something to watch on Netflix and the cover image from Supersize Me popped up which piqued my 9 year olds interest. So we watched it and he was quite surprised. "Now do you get why your Mum and I don't want you eating McDonalds too often?" Decent documentary if a little one sided.

We're also watching Planet Dinosaur thanks to my 7 year olds fascination with them. Pretty interesting. I'm all for thought provoking stuff though. I think Louis Theroux has an excellent documentary style and I need to carve out some time to watch more of his stuff. Some of it does border on silly and cringe worthy but he does seem to take a very enlightened and rational view of the more controversial subjects.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Zeitgeist yet. It is a documentary of sorts but explores what you may consider are conspiracy theories. It does stray perilously close to thoughts about the New World Order (although falls well short of talking about reptilian shape shifters thankfully!). The middle section about global finance is very interesting though. Working in the financial sector, the way he presents money making is pretty accurate although a lot of technical detail is left out. If you like conspiracy theories I'd say it's definitely worth a watch. It's on Netflix and is also up on YouTube in its entirety.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 04:12:44 AM »
The kids and I watch documentaries fairly often. They're at that really curious age which is great. On movie night a few weeks ago, we were looking for something to watch on Netflix and the cover image from Supersize Me popped up which piqued my 9 year olds interest. So we watched it and he was quite surprised. "Now do you get why your Mum and I don't want you eating McDonalds too often?" Decent documentary if a little one sided.

Yeah a little - anything in excess is probably bad. And most people aren't going to be eating McDonalds 3 times a day anyway. I'd imagine most people go about once a month as a treat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
Felt for a movie today but ended up seeing The Crash Reel. Knew bascially nothing about snowboard except a few namedrops but I read about it and thought it sounded interesting and it really was but not only that, also a very real portrait on how life can change in the blink of an eye.

The documentary basically follows the rivalry between Shaun White and Kevin Pearce which ends up in one taking gold medal and another getting critically injured in a half-pipe and barely survives.

I suck at reviewing movies so I won't try but I will say it was really nice seeing the humanity in Kevin Pearce and his struggle to try and come back to snowboarding even though everyone around him says it could kill him. A really emotional and heartwarming documentary. Highly recommend it!!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Zitgeist rocks!
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »

Great movie.
Indeed. I think it's an obligatory watch for anyone who wants to get into the video game industry, as myself.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Zeitgeist yet.
It has lot of conspiracy theories but all of them are so well argumented that I can't see a flaw on the movies. The part about religion is brilliant - it doesn't talk about god, it's about how ancient religions and christianism have lots of common things, which leads me to think if it wasn't all a travesty. 3 documentaries that will open your mind.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
 Murph: The Protector

A documentary based on the honor, courage and commitment of Navy SEAL LT Michael P. Murphy, who gave his life for his men in 2005 and was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in 2007.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:11:59 PM by The Trooper »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
a friend of mine is in the process of completing a full length documentary on ESports called "Die Noobs".   He has a trailer done but still doesn't have a release date planned.

He is in the process of looking for distribution and hopes to have it completed by the end of the year.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
Exit Through the Gift Shop, as a couple people mentioned. Not only my favorite documentary, but in my top 10 movies as well. 

Other favorites include The Imposter, Grizzly Man, Best Worst Movie (if you're a fan of Troll 2).

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
I love the hell out of Anvil: The Story of Anvil.  One of my favorite documentaries about music, simply amazing because it's a rather honest story about a couple of guys who nearly made it big, didn't quite get there, and keep plodding on despite being, really, kind of fuck ups. That contrast between the European festival where no one shows up and the Japanese one with the huge crowd is just wonderful film making.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »
Everyone keeps telling me that as a Metallica fan, I should see Some Kind of Monster. I'm just not sure I want to be reminded of St. Anger.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
I recently saw Jodorowsky's Dune, about the crazy seventies Dune adaptation that never got made. Knowing nothing about Jodorowsky or Dune, I still thought it was fucking awesome.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
https://tiny-themovie.com/  It's on Netflix.

The film follows the construction of a tiny ~100 square foot house on a trailer.  There are also interviews with other tiny house owners.  Good questions about what we think we need vs. what we actually need.

I've seen a few short films about tiny homes before, and it always makes me re-evaluate what type of house I really need.  Ideally, I would like a ~1500 sq foot house, but anything that size where I live is old and in disrepair, since renovated houses are invariable doubled in size.  To build a house for a reasonable amount of money would require an hour-plus commute.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »
5 Broken Cameras was really good, but it also was very upsetting.   Be warned, a man is shown being shot dead, and another man is shot while being detained.

Offline Cable

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
Everyone keeps telling me that as a Metallica fan, I should see Some Kind of Monster. I'm just not sure I want to be reminded of St. Anger.

It pretty good though. There is enough not St Anger to make it bearable.

My additions;

When The Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts
Who Killed The Electric Car?   

---

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2014, 02:58:41 AM »
Wild China is another of my favourites. It's a natural history documentary about China and it's narrated by King Theoden (well, the dude who plays him, who incidentally fits right in as a documentary narrator. It's truly amazing).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2014, 03:25:18 AM »
I watched one on Netflix about HH Holmes - America's first serial killer. It was very interesting... and quite creepy. I recommend.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2014, 03:42:55 AM »
A list of 10 disturbing documentaries:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YyquN

I haven't watched any of these, don't think I ever will. VICE do alot of similar doc that always are worth a watch though. I wanna see Earthlings because it's a subject I very much care about and think is important but at the same time I know what to expect and I don't think I could stand watching it. Anyone seen it?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
A list of 10 disturbing documentaries:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YyquN

I haven't watched any of these, don't think I ever will. VICE do alot of similar doc that always are worth a watch though. I wanna see Earthlings because it's a subject I very much care about and think is important but at the same time I know what to expect and I don't think I could stand watching it. Anyone seen it?

I've seen clips/most of the first three in the list.  Yeah, this is disturbing stuff.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
Am I missing something? I don't see any info on any of the docs other than one picture  ???

Anyway, I think we watched that first one in a grad school class and it was  :|
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »
No, there's only the names of the docs + pics. Just google if you wanna find info.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:15 PM »
I'm a big fan of racing, so I really liked the Formula One documentary 1: Life on the Limit.  Very interesting throughout.

Online faizoff

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »
Just watched The Imposter, wow that was a crazy story. I thought it was a mockumentary at first with the style of the movie but holy hell it's completely real and a fascinating and bizarre story.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »
The Thin Blue Line is one of my favorite documentaries. It was the first to use that staring into the camera type of interview. It has some amazing recreation scenes. This documentary works as an investigation piece, and it ended up keeping an innocent man out of prison.