Author Topic: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Finished!  (Read 11360 times)

Offline Ruba

Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Finished!
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:38:38 AM »
So yeah, I was able to put up my list yesterday, and now it's ready to be launched.

*The list spans mostly through four decades of rock (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s), with some odd albums from 10s.
*The albums are in alphabetical order, the same method that crazyaga used (Yeah, you can call me weak). But I'll include a rough estimate, where each album would be placed, but it might not be mathematically correct. So don't come saying I have 30 albums ranked to places 1-10.
*Maximum four albums by an artist.
*There will be albums that nearly everybody knows, and some albums that are virtually unknown here, because they are
a) Sung in Finnish
b) Of genre that is not popular here
c) Just downright weird.

So. Let's get started, shall we?

Queen - A Night at the Opera (1975)

1) Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...)
2) Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
3) I'm in Love With My Car
4) You're My Best Friend
5) '39
6) Sweet Lady
7) Seaside Rendezvous
8) The Prophet's Song
9) Love of My Life
10) Good Company
11) Bohemian Rhapsody
12) God Save the Queen

I love me some theatrical music. And this album really delivers. The first time I heard it, I almost applaused after it ended. My favourite thing about the album is how the band can do so many different genres, like hard rock, jazz, country, pop and prog, and still sound like themselves. Freddie Mercury is definately one of the greatest rock vocalists ever lived, and Brian May is just a stunning guitarist. My definite favourite tracks are the two longest ones (surprise? :lol), Bohemian Rhapsody and The Prophet's Song. The latter doesn't get nearly enough recognition, it's melodic and heavy, one of the earliest prog metal songs to my mind. The a cappella middle section is real fun. And I can't say anything about Bohemian Rhapsody that hasn't been said before. An immortal masterpiece.

Favourite tracks: Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...), I'm in Love With My Car, Seaside Rendezvous, The Prophet's Song, Bohemian Rhapsody

Where'd I place it?: 15-25
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:47:01 AM by Ruba »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Everybody knows, nobody knows
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:41:11 AM »
Following! :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:45:31 AM »
Definitely following.  But a cop out on not properly placing the albums.  :hat
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
I'll be following. Ranks or no ranks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
Definitely following.  But a cop out on not properly placing the albums.  :hat
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
A Night At The Opera is easily the best Queen album. Wouldn't (and won't) make my top 50 but probably would be in the top 100. The Prophet's Song is just as good as Bohemian Rhapsody to me.  :metal

Oh and yeah,following.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
It's not really a cop out to some extent.  After my top 10 or 15, rankings get pretty nebulous for me because I have so many albums.  Is there really a difference between whatever I would rank 23 and 24?  Or 50 and 51?  Not really.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
It's not really a cop out to some extent.  After my top 10 or 15, rankings get pretty nebulous for me because I have so many albums.  Is there really a difference between whatever I would rank 23 and 24?  Or 50 and 51?  Not really.

Yes there is. One you like better than the other.  Grow some stones... make a definitive statement.

Following, and it's off to a good start.  Storytime...

There's a touring outfit around here called "Classic Albums Live".  15+ years ago, this guy decided he hated seeing cover bands that focused more on "looking" the part vs "sounding" the part of the band they were covering.  So, he decided to recruit musicians and vocalists that could pull of a classic album... their tagline is "note for note; cut for cut".  I've seen them probably a dozen times ... Zeppelin II, The Wall, DSOTM, Hotel California, Born To Run, and others.  Well, there is this REALLY nice theater (a true music theater) I have season tickets to.  So, a couple years ago, they are doing "A Night At The Opera", and this blue-haired couple (clearly in their 80s or older) comes strolling in just before showtime.  Mrs.jingle and I give each other a "wtf" look.  Not 5 minutes into the show, they up and leave.  I can only assume that when buying their tickets, they clearly thought it literally was 'a night at the opera'.  :lol.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
There's a touring outfit around here called "Classic Albums Live".  15+ years ago, this guy decided he hated seeing cover bands that focused more on "looking" the part vs "sounding" the part of the band they were covering.  So, he decided to recruit musicians and vocalists that could pull of a classic album... their tagline is "note for note; cut for cut".  I've seen them probably a dozen times ... Zeppelin II, The Wall, DSOTM, Hotel California, Born To Run, and others.  Well, there is this REALLY nice theater (a true music theater) I have season tickets to.  So, a couple years ago, they are doing "A Night At The Opera", and this blue-haired couple (clearly in their 80s or older) comes strolling in just before showtime.  Mrs.jingle and I give each other a "wtf" look.  Not 5 minutes into the show, they up and leave.  I can only assume that when buying their tickets, they clearly thought it literally was 'a night at the opera'.  :lol.

That's really cool! And you can't really expect that everyone is into 70s rock music.  :lol

I don't know what is exactly my favourite album at the moment, as odd as it might sound. I probably could rank albums 21-50, but not the whole list. But if I will ever do v2, it will be in order of preference.

I don't have any school currently, but I'm going to hiking on Thursday and I have some work on the weekend. So I'll try to get busy with the updates in the early week.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. 1997 - A Pretty Good Year
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:50:31 AM »
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth (1997)

1) Freak
2) Toltec 7 Arrival
3) Starchildren
4) Taking the Queen
5) Darkside of Aquarius
6) Road to Hell
7) Man of Sorrows
8) Accident of Birth
9) The Magician
10) Welcome to the Pit
11) Omega
12) Arc of Space

After leaving Iron Maiden in 1993, Bruce Dickinson had focused on his solo career, making two more rock-oriented albums which divided opinions. After his solo band Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks (it was a band, record label just wanted to sell it under Bruce's name!) had splitted, he was depressed and even considered ending his musical career. But the guardian angel came in a form of Roy Z, a guitarist who played on Bruce's Balls to Picasso album. When the two were talking on a phone, Roy played some killer riffs, including one which became later a main riff of Accident of Birth, and Bruce felt inspired again.

So this album is a return to metal territory. But it's quite different. Both have great riffs and guitar melodies, yes. But the difference is in diversity. Whereas Iron Maiden seems to stay on their comfort zone too much, this record goes through many different types of songs. We have heavy balls-to-the-wall stuff (Freak), hard rock (The Magician), beautiful ballads (Man of Sorrows), groove metal (Starchildren), mini-epics (Darkside of Aquarius) and even a completely acoustic song (Arc of Space), one of which Iron Maiden didn't do until 2003. Bruce sounds amazing, I think he was at his best at fourties. The guitars are awesome, with shredding (Roy Z) and style (Adrian Smith). Eddie Casillias has some jolly fine bass lines and David Ingraham's drumming is really tight. Plus the album has great lyrics, I think Bruce is far superior to Steve Harris as a lyricist. If you enjoy Iron Maiden and some heavier music, I recommend this album highly.

Favourite tracks: Starchildren, Taking the Queen, Darkside of Aquarius, Welcome to the Pit, Omega, Arc of Space

Where'd I place it?: 20-30

Nightwish – Angels Fall First (1997)

1) Elvenpath
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) The Carpenter
4) Astral Romance
5) Angels Fall First
6) Tutankhamen
7) Nymphomaniac  Fantasia
8) When the Nightingale Sings
9) Lappi (Lapland)
i. Erämaajärvi
ii. Witchdrums
iii. This Moment Is Eternity
iv. Etiäinen

Never underestimate the power of innocence. This record was originally a seven-track-demo, but the record label liked it and pressed 500 copies, which still had Tuomas Holopainen’s phone number (for the record label to contact him. Oops :lol:). The band quickly recorded five new songs, ditched two old ones, and the more common version has the same track listing as above. Tuomas has stated many times the he doesn’t really like the album; he says it was released too early. I tend to disagree.

So basically it’s four young musicians, pushing their twenties. The band didn’t have a bassist back then, so the guitarist Emppu Vuorinen plays all basses. The music is a step from their folky roots into a heavier direction, but I don’t think it can be called metal. Elvenpath and Tutankhamen are the heaviest songs on the record, but there are also very athmospherical material, like the title track and the epic 9-minute closer Lappi.

If someone can write a good melody, it’s Tuomas Holopainen. This album has plenty of them. Tarja’s singing is very operatic, but she wasn’t diva back then, she even has a Marimekko shirt in one of the pictures in the booklet (so cute :hearts:). Emppu has more solos than on their more recent albums, he is one really underrated guitarist. And this album made me really appreciate flute (it’s played by some music store owner from Kitee :lol:), it really adds depth to songs like Angels Fall First and Nymphomaniac Fantasia.

It is an album, which feels warm. It isn’t overly polished and has some demo-like incompletenesses, like sudden fade-outs on some songs, but they make the album just cuter. They were so innocent, so unaware of what is to come in the years still to come. Oh wait, I'm getting poetic. Anyways. Just a freaking beautiful album.

Favourite tracks: The Carpenter, Astral Romance (the 2001 remake is awful!), Angels Fall First, Nymphomanic Fantasia, When the Nightingale Sings

Where’d I place it?: 5-15

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:02:54 AM »
I haven't listened to NW in the recent years, but I remember I always liked AFF more than the average fan. Even though the album has its fair share of cheesiness I prefer more down-to-earth stuff like this to the "orchestra featuring a metal band" approach.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 04:44:57 AM »

Yes there is. One you like better than the other.  Grow some stones... make a definitive statement.

Fuck I like this guy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:57:20 AM »
Accident At Birth :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:33 AM »
Yeah AOB was number 24 on my list.  Amazing album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
I guess I prefer NW's albums when Tarja was a 'diva' - more range, power and diversity in my opinion.  The early albums, I find she stays at the high end of her register.

AoB sounds like a fine place to start my Dickinson solo journey. Nice writeup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Concept album time. Woo.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 05:51:31 AM »
Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

1) Pigs on the Wing (Part 1)
2) Dogs
3) Pigs (Three Different Ones)
4) Sheep
5) Pigs on the Wing (Part 2)

I reckon pretty much everyone is familiar with this, so I try not to blabber. The concept is rather loose, based on Orwell's novel Animal Farm. This album has the littlest number of tracks (Pigs on the Wings aren't really songs, just an epilogue and a prologue) on my list.

The three songs in the middle are rather epic, all clocking up over 10 minutes. And like on the previous album, Wish You Were Here, music is pretty calm, with exception of hard rocking Sheep. The guitar work is exceptional, I especially love the melodic twin-guitar solo on Dogs.

And I'd like to point one thing out. 1977 is usually considered as a birth year of punk rock. I think some of it was rubbed on off Pink Floyd too, since in Pigs (Three Different Ones) the band mocks a back-then British Member of Parliament Mary Whitehouse. What's more punk than calling a prominent politician a pig?  :lol

Favourite tracks: Dogs, Sheep

Where'd I place it?: 25-35

--------------------------------------------------

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar (1996)

Cycle I: The Heirophant
1) Irresponsible Hate Anthem
2) The Beautiful People
3) Dried Up, Tied and Dead to the World
4) Tourniquet

Cycle II: Inauguration of the Worm
5) Little Horn
6) Cryptorchid
7) Deformography
8) Wormboy
9) Mister Superstar
10) Angel with the Scabbed Wings
11) Kinderfeld

Cycle III: Disintegrator Rising
12) Antichrist Superstar
13) 1996
14) Minute of Decay
15) The Reflecting God
16) Man That You Fear
99) Empty Sounds of Hate

I used to think Marilyn Manson was a screaming Satanist. How wrong was I? :lol

One of my friends is a huge fan, and she’s tried to make me one, but actually I decided to try him out by myself. Or actually them, because Marilyn Manson is a whole band, not Brian Hugh Warner’s solo project. It just carries out his name. Anyway, I found out two things that made me interested. First of all, it is an concept album. And the second, it is co-produced by Trent Reznor, he has some writing credits, and he plays mellotron, guitar and Rhodes piano on some tracks. If Trent likes it, it cannot be bad.

And he didn’t let me down. The album is a part of trilogy of concept albums, chronologically the first, but story-wise the last. Again, the concept is rather loose, and lyrically this album isn’t in the same league with the following Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood (In the Valley of the Shadow of Death). But the music.

The album is HEAVY. Screeching guitars. Banging drums. Mechanical loops and noises.  Distortion is a key element. There is a real sense of danger. And Manson’s vocals, ranging from low whispers to high and heavy screaming doesn’t make it any more comfortable. Heavy break-neck tracks like Irresponsible Hate Anthem (which is, according to liner notes recorded live in February 1997), Angel with the Scabbed Wings and 1996 have company of slower and ballad-like, yet dark material, such as Cryptorchid, Minute of Decay and the chilling Kinderfeld. I think The Beautiful People is a quintessential Marilyn Manson song and a prime example of what this album is about. If you don’t like it, then you aren’t likely to like anything else in the album.

Of course the album raised great controversy, especially among the deeply religious and the right-wing. But they sometimes need a little shaking, don’t they? Anyways, the album isn’t Satanic at all, and not that much religious either. It is mostly Nietzschean, according to Manson himself.

Favourite tracks: The Beautiful People, Cryptorchid, Mister Superstar, Angel with the Scabbed Wings, Kinderfeld, Antichrist Superstar, Man That You Fear

Where'd I place it?: 10-20

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
Animals is the best PF album IMO :tup

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
Animals is a classic of course. Never really got into Marilyn Manson, probably because I thought he was a Satanist.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
Animals is the only Pink Floyd album along with Dark Side that just doesn't get old. I can't listen to the others thanks to me overplaying the shit out of them.  :biggrin:

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. A***e
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
Sepultura - Arise (1991)

1) Arise
2) Dead Embryonic Cells
3) Desperate Cry
4) Murder
5) Subtraction
6) Altered State
7) Under Siege (Regnum Irae)
8) Meaningless Movements
9) Infected Voice

Sepultura is a Brazilian thrash metal band, and one of the remaining marks from my thrash era on middle school on this list. I heard their song Refuse/Resist on radio when I was 15 and I wanted to hear some more. But I rather listened to some catchier separate tunes, like Mass Hypnosis and Arise, than full albums. At first I didn't even really like this album, because I thought faster=better. :lol

So, whereas the previous Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains concentrate more on being faster than anything else, this album slows the tempos down a bit and brings on some ethnic elements and grrrrrrroove. There are a couple of songs that can break some unexperienced necks, like Arise and Infected Voice, but this album really shines on the more mid-tempo and complicated songs, like Altered State and Under Siege (Regnum Irae).

Igor Cavalera is one of the best drummers of the world. Nearly no one can combine speed, technique and groove as well as he does. Andreas Kisser was an excellent solo guitarist with unique technique (after this album, he started to severely misuse wah-wah and whammy bar... still better than Kirk Hammett though). Max Cavalera's rhythm playing is tight and his singing just got better on every album. And I still don't understand how he can play all the killer riffs and sing at the same time. And this is probably the only Sepultura album to have consistently good lyrics. :lol Also, one of the best album covers ever.

Favourite tracks: Arise, Desperate Cry, Murder, Altered State, Under Siege (Regnum Irae)

Where'd I place it?: 35-45

-------------------------

Dream Theater - Awake (1994)

1) 6:00
2) Caught in a Web
3) Innocence Faded
4) Erotomania
5) Voices
6) The Silent Man
7) The Mirror
8) Lie
9) Lifting Shadows off a Dream
10) Scarred
11) Space-Dye Vest

Three of Dream Theater albums have their own, strong atmospheres, which are executed near flawlessly; Images and Words, Awake and SDOIT disc one. Whereas I&W is more warm and welcoming, Awake feels more cold, dark and heavy. That’s probably why it is more grower than its predecessor. However, once you find yourself enjoying the world of Awake, it’s a fine ride.

I’m one of the Kevin Moore fanboys around, and he really has an instrumental role on the album. I’m pretty sure everyone knows he was having a dark period while writing and recording, and he was willing to leave the band. Actually it’s maybe better than he left, because if he was happier, the album wouldn’t be nearly as good as it is now.

All members were two more years experienced. Songwriting might be a tad simpler than on Images, but the combination of catchiness and progginess is pretty much perfect. Heaviness and melodicness are well balanced also. And we shall not forget James LaBrie, who was in top form.

Favourite tracks: Caught In a Web, Innocence Faded, Voices, The Mirror, Scarred hi blob, Space-Dye Vest

Where’d I place it?: 20-30
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:10:32 PM by Ruba »

Offline adace

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
Didn't expect Arise to be mentioned :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
I don't consider myself a Pink Floyd fan, but I love Animals.

And of course, Awake :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
Arise is my fav Sepulatura album and one of my first metal discoveries years ago.  Love it, incredible, underrated album.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
Never listened to Sepultura for some reason. I know I should.

Awake is a great pick.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »

Awake is a great pick.

The two best metal releases from my country, BTR and Arise  :metal
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
Yeah, BTR is a great one too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 12:47:59 AM »
Haven't listened to Sepultura, because thrash isn't my thing, but Awake = :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Ruba

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »

I don't think it will hurt or anything if you try them out. I haven't heard their debut, but from Schizophrenia to Chaos A.D. it's all awesome. Not too wild about their newer material.

I prefer them to every band from Big Four of Thrash Metal.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »
Haven't listened to Sepultura, because thrash isn't my thing
Ditto.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Top 50 albums! v. Tales from two centuries
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »
Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks - Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks (1996)

1) Back From the Edge
2) Inertia
3) Solar Confinement
4) I Will Not Accept the Truth
5) R 101
6) Faith
7) Dreamstate
8) Inside the Machine
9) Space Race
10) Headswitch
11) Meltdown
12) Octavia
13) Innerspace
14) Strange Death in Paradise
15) Re-Entry

(note: this is the tracklist on my copy, which is Japanese edition or something.)

Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks was Bruce's short-lived solo project, with Alex Dickson on guitar (how appropriate!), Chris Dale on bass and Alessandro Elena on drums. It was a real band, but the record label published their only album under the name of Dickinson. But for the honor of the great underlooked band, I always reference to it as Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks.

When I bought the album, I didn't really care about it. But it grew on me a bit and even more when I refreshed my memory of the album for Bruce Dickinson survivor (thanks MIaden!). But finally the album clicked when I needed some music for cycling in the spring 2012. Suddenly I found myself enjoying the album a lot.

It sounds nothing like Iron Maiden. Genre-wise it is alternative rock. Guitar work is arguably more complex, Alex Dickson has a great sense of melody. The songs are relatively short, rarely clocking over four minutes. Often they are packed with energy, like Back from the Edge or Inside the Machine, but for the sake of balance there are some darker pieces, like I Will Not Accept the Truth and Meltdown. And I must say that I love Alex Elena's drumming, he is a major factor creating the energetic nature of the album.

The songs R 101 and Re-Entry are not featured on the original version. I sometimes skip them, because even when they are very good, they sound very different compared to the other album. But otherwise I think this tracklist flows very nicely.

My favourite album with Bruce Dickinson on vocals and one of my favourite alternative rock/metal albums.

Favourite tracks: Inertia, Solar Confinement, I Will Not Accept the Truth, Faith, Inside the Machine, Headswitch, Meltdown, Strange Death in Paradise

Where’d I place it?: 10-20

-----------------------------

Nightwish - Century Child (2002)

1) Bless the Child
2) End of All Hope
3) Dead to the World
4) Ever Dream
5) Slaying the Dreamer
6) Forever Yours
7) Ocean Soul
8) Feel for You
9) The Phantom of the Opera
10) Beauty of the Beast

I have liked Nightwish for a long time, possibly since the first time I heard Nemo in 2004. But I never really bothered to listen to them. I picked this and Imaginaerum up the last day of 2011 and soon happily forgot I owned them. Until came one beautiful night of June.

First track: Bless the Child. Starts with choir, strings fade in. On the repeat guitars, drums and bass join and a male voice begins to tell: “I was born amidst purple waterfalls…” Tension builds until BOOM! In comes the rhythm based main riff with the strings playing the choir melody. I already felt that it was awesome, but when Tarja joined in the first verse, I was in love.

This is the darkest and to my mind the most emotional and powerful NW album. Its lyrics follow a certain theme, the loss of innocence. It also introduced us Marco Hietala on the bass, whose playing is way more powerful than his predecessor Sami Vänskä’s, and he also provides some male vocals on the album. This was also a turning point on their career; it’s the first album that utilized symphony orchestra. The orchestral parts are arranged well and give the album some serious edge. And there isn’t too much of it, like on their more recent albums.

There are only a couple of albums that have affected me as much on the emotional level. Sometimes even thinking of certain songs gives me goosebumps. The emotion on the album is so contagious. And I find the album Tuomas’s best work composition- and lyric-wise. The songs are catchy, beautiful and heavy, sometimes even at the same time. Slaying the Dreamer has some death metal influence in the wacky outro. The Andrew Lloyd Webber-cover The Phantom of the Opera is a fantastic duet between Tarja and Marco, and it fits the album’s mood perfectly. The epic closer Beauty of the Beast is possibly the best Nightwish song ever. And I find the lack of love for Ocean Soul disturbing, the song’s hauntingly beautiful.

Favourite tracks: Bless the Child, Slaying the Dreamer, Forever Yours, Ocean Soul, Feel for You, The Phantom of the Opera, Beauty of the Beast

Where’d I place it?: 1-5

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »
While I have a top 50 in the works, everything from 15-50 is in a state of constant flux because there's so little difference in how much I like them that I can literally remember an album I forgot, can slot it into say #38, and the previous #38 leaves the list because the difference in the bottom half of the list is so slight that they're basically tied.

So you go ahead and not list them by numbers. It's your list, fuck the haters  :rollin

(And if you guys hate people not listing, you're going to hate my list where each entry doesn't have a gigantic image of the cover in it. Jaq doesn't do looking up 50 images and hotlinking them from somewhere, or loading them to the Instagram account he doesn't have.  :P)
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
These kind of threads seem like an amazing idea! I love this forum already  ;D

Nice to see some love for Skunkworks and Bruce's solo things in general. All of his albums are good or better, and I feel that Skunkworks especially deserves a lot more than it gets. Very different, yet a fantastic album. For me the best track has always been Space Race. Something about that whole laid back feel gets me big time.

Despite being Finnish, I've never actually familiarized myself with Nightwish's catalogue, just the songs I hear from the radio every now and then. Maybe I should start now.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
I never could get into Skunkworks, and I generally love Bruce's stuff.  I don't know how much of an opportunity I gave it though, but I doubt a listen or two would drastically change my opinion.

I would probably agree that Century Child is probably the best Nightwish, but I wouldn't put the album very high.  For some reason, I get excited when they get a new album, but I quickly burn out on it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
I do quite like Century Child, might be the best album these guys put out. While I'm not too keen on the first three-songs-run, the sequence from Forever Yours to the end is awesome. And Ocean Soul is really magnificent, btw.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.