Author Topic: What to do with my guitar's body?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Aadish

What to do with my guitar's body?
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »
I just got this new guitar (pre-owned, but in great condition) and I was wondering if I should do something to the body like some sort of paintjob or anything. I would love every tiny little response and sugestion!

BTW:
It's a Jackson Dinky DK2 Skulls finish. The finish has been edited some by the previous owner. The places where there are no finish are the places I need help for + knobs and pickups.

Pictures:

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: What to do with my guitar's body?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
it's your decision.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
I know this isn't helpful, but I think it looks pretty cool the way it is :P

Offline Aadish

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
Yeah, I know it is up to me.. But I am running low on ideas, soo I popped in here and asked for some..
I also think it looks cool now, but I really want to change the pickup cause it sounds like shit and there are no volume and tone knobs.. Well there are some small metalthingies but they are really unhandy...

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
I know this isn't helpful, but I think it looks pretty cool the way it is :P

Thats totally what I thought too!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 05:42:10 PM »
Same here. Looks pretty cool as it is. At least now it tells a story of its history. If you were to cover all that up, it would lose all its character.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aadish

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
Same here. Looks pretty cool as it is. At least now it tells a story of its history. If you were to cover all that up, it would lose all its character.

rumborak

You might have a point there..

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »
First of all, if you think the pickup sounds like shit, take it out and sell it on Craigslist/eBay. If that's an active EMG (not EMG-HZ) with plenty of wire you could get about 40-55 bucks for it (maybe. I'm not sure). For knobs, get whatever is comfortable and looks good for you. It also looks like you need a switch. If I were you, I'd get a 5-way stratocaster switch (Fender brand), as they're really really easy to work with compared to the Ibanez/Jackson ones and they can do most common pickup configurations. For pickups, do whatever you want. I'd go with a single coil size Air Norton for the neck and for bridge, I might go with a Super Distortion, or an Evolution. I'm really happy with the Steve's Special but it might be worth it to try something else. Middle pickup might be an HS-2 or HS-3. I dunno, that's just me. That's something you have to research and decide by yourself. As for the finish, I personally have no idea. I was trying to figure out what I'd do in your situation, but I'm stumped as well. I'd probably just leave it how it is.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Aadish

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »
First of all, if you think the pickup sounds like shit, take it out and sell it on Craigslist/eBay. If that's an active EMG (not EMG-HZ) with plenty of wire you could get about 40-55 bucks for it (maybe. I'm not sure). For knobs, get whatever is comfortable and looks good for you. It also looks like you need a switch. If I were you, I'd get a 5-way stratocaster switch (Fender brand), as they're really really easy to work with compared to the Ibanez/Jackson ones and they can do most common pickup configurations. For pickups, do whatever you want. I'd go with a single coil size Air Norton for the neck and for bridge, I might go with a Super Distortion, or an Evolution. I'm really happy with the Steve's Special but it might be worth it to try something else. Middle pickup might be an HS-2 or HS-3. I dunno, that's just me. That's something you have to research and decide by yourself. As for the finish, I personally have no idea. I was trying to figure out what I'd do in your situation, but I'm stumped as well. I'd probably just leave it how it is.

Yeah, thanks!

I actually checked the electronic in my Dinky now.. I can't say I understand much of it..  :lol

How can I figure out what type of EMG pickup it is? Like serial number or something..

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 08:26:47 AM »
I'll break from the crown here...

If the wood has a decent grain, transparent black or a deep transparent red would look killer.  Of course, I'm also not a fan of paint jobs that involve graphics.

The downside is that those finishes aren't cheap, unless you go the DIY route (details & supplies for DIY finishes and paintjobs at reranch.com).  Someday, I'm going to get a beater, and actually do something with the finish.  For the time being, I'm still sticking to playing with the electronics...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 09:46:18 AM »
I'd strip the finish completely and finish it in oil/wax.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
sand the shit out of it, spray paint it various colors with a mainly black background, then hit it with a belt buckle, saw an arm off and then put some gasoline on it, and let her burn for a little while.

thats what i did with an old squier, and it plays better than ever!  :tup
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Aadish

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »
sand the shit out of it, spray paint it various colors with a mainly black background, then hit it with a belt buckle, saw an arm off and then put some gasoline on it, and let her burn for a little while.

thats what i did with an old squier, and it plays better than ever!  :tup

Sounds great!  :lol