Author Topic: The "Easter Egg" Appreciation Thread  (Read 9837 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: The "Easter Egg" Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
Same thing that for Enigma Machine : useless and boring.

Enigma Machine was a great instrumental.

was?

It was...until he accidentally.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
What Easter Egg? ???

I don't know whether your motivation for asking this question is the same as mine, but I find this "easter egg" stuff a total misnomer. In fact, when I first heard the term I thought I had missed something listening to the album.
An easter egg is something supposedly hard to find thing. The therapist auditions on the SFAM DVDs was an easter egg. Entering "tilt" into Google Search is an easter egg.
What's on DT12 is just an epilogue.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
The Easter Egg to me makes the self titled just like the last album. There's something not really worth listening to after the true end of the album (The end of BAI and the end of IT).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »
My favorite piece of music off the new album. I cut it out into it's own song immediately. I'm torn, it's a beautiful piece of music but I feel if it was developed into a full song there is a chance that it could lose it's charm.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »
What Easter Egg? ???

I don't know whether your motivation for asking this question is the same as mine, but I find this "easter egg" stuff a total misnomer. In fact, when I first heard the term I thought I had missed something listening to the album.
An easter egg is something supposedly hard to find thing. The therapist auditions on the SFAM DVDs was an easter egg. Entering "tilt" into Google Search is an easter egg.

Just for clarification, the reason everybody calls it an Easter Egg is that it was listed as such on their idea board in one of the in-studio videos. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
I'm not sure it was intended as an ending to IT specifically, I think it's just on that track because it's the last. It was charted as a separate song on their whiteboard in the studio vids, so I'd consider it a separate entity.

The band put it within IT, you can't consider it as separate entity  :P :P :P :P :P  :biggrin:

sixdegreespun
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
What Easter Egg? ???

THIS.

To me, it's the perfect ending to an amazing song. It's the payoff at the end of a journey of self discovery. It would be a true easter egg if the band had never mentioned it, it had never been on the progress board, and if it didn't fit so well with the overall feel of the last section of Illumination Theory.

It's a beautiful piece of music. I'm glad they kept it on the CD. I hope they turn it into something "crying girl" worthy on the tour. :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
What Easter Egg? ???

Just for clarification, the reason everybody calls it an Easter Egg is that it was listed as such on their idea board in one of the in-studio videos. 

Exactly that. We were calling it an Easter Egg before we'd heard it, and before it was even confirmed it was stuck at the end of IT (although it was guessed already).
Since the only name we have for it that comes from DT is "Easter Egg", that's what we shall continue to call it!

If only the easter egg was Bad Larry. I'd love to continue calling a song Bad Larry.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
We could always call it "His Majesty" (double-reference, yay!)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »
My favorite piece of music off the new album. I cut it out into it's own song immediately. I'm torn, it's a beautiful piece of music but I feel if it was developed into a full song there is a chance that it could lose it's charm.

Agree with everything. Though future songs by the band that are that mellow and relaxing would be a welcome one-off.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline IslandInTheMaking

• No man is an island....?
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 12:08:21 AM »
We know DT (atleat JP & JR have said so) like to improvise/jam. And while they still occasionally do shorter jams in some sections of some songs, they haven't done A Bombay Vindaloo type thing in while.. have they? What I would really hope they do with the Easter Egg is to have a regular jam in the set based around it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
What Easter Egg? ???

Actually it was a joke based on the band's response in the DTF Q&A. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »
Would be cool if there really is a full composition, and the Easter Egg on the album is just a little preview.

Then the full thing gets performed at their concerts.

Maybe it will be the intro to DT13 ....which of course will be a concept album   :biggrin:

This is what I'm hoping for.  They really need to make that into something more.  It's stunningly beautiful.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »
They could be planning to play Easter Egg instead of the orchestral part of IT. just sayin...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Cool little piece of music.  Really not much of a true "easter egg" since it was practically kind of hidden in plain sight, as it were.  Other bands that have had hidden tracks have usually tired to make them a lot more...hidden.  Of course, given that "hidden tracks" on albums have been done before so that people are familiar with the concept, and given that you can't really "hide" a track very well on a CD other than maybe making it a different file format that won't get picked up by a music CD player, it's less likely that a "hidden track" will truly end up being a surprise, unlike when the concept was fairly new and rare.  Still, I think it's cool that the band still does neat little extra things like this. 

And yes, they obviously intended for it to be a surprise. The question is why...  :-\

I don't think there is a real question as to why.  It's as simple as:  the band just wanted to do a "hidden track" because it's kind of cool, and they had an extra bit of good music that hadn't been worked into a complete song.  A posible secondary reason may be that it is a subtle nod to other bands that have offered hidden tracks in the past.  The members of DT have always acknowledged being fans of music in general, in addition to being musicians themselves, and have always paid tribute to other bands in many different ways.  This may be another way of doing that.  But I think the most obvious answer is the correct one:  just because it's kind of a cool thing to do.  The added bonus for the band is that they get to have fun seeing fans obsess over it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
I actually like the idea of cutting out the silence between IT and Easter Egg, and maybe making Easter Egg slowly fade in on the last note of IT :D That would be cool, only because I like the idea of the whole thing being one song, and Easter Egg being a sort of "reflection" on what you had just listened to.

How it is, I would've preferred if they cut it from the album and made it a separate bonus track on a deluxe edition or something. But I can't deny that it's a great way to end the album...

Also, it's a good enough idea that it could have been made into its own song... Or part of another song (hence my IT fade in idea). But I guess in the end DT meant to make it a hidden track/bonus sort of thing, not just an idea they didn't develop and tacked on at the last minute.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline PetFish

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
I used my audio editor to snip-off the "Easter Egg" into its own track.

Rather than call it "Dream Theater - Dream Theater - 10 - East Egg" I labeled it "Dream Theater - Dream Theater - 10 - Denouement".

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »
I like it the way it is. Something emerging out of the silence, just when you thought it was all over.

Offline GPedrosa

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:26 AM »
I think is amazing. Gives me a strange but nice feeling that I can't describe properly. I like t.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
It's certainly a far less annoying "hidden track" than some-there's nothing more annoying than seeing a track with a length of 20 minutes that's over 12 minutes of silence before you get to the hidden track-and actually comes close enough to IT that I consider it part of the song, and I figure if the whiteboard had never been seen everyone else would too. Lovely little comedown from the entire album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 12:04:16 PM »
I still think it should be called "End (or Ending) Credits" more than anything else.

Anyway, it's a gorgeous piece of music, and a great way to end the record. :tup :tup

Offline robwebster

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
Yeah, I love End Credits as a title. As rumby says, Easter Egg is a liiiiittle bit of a misnomer, and End Credits fits the vibe and the disc superbly.

The piece is bloody gorgeous - just teleports me somewhere. It's a sigh. I wouldn't rank it as one of my favourite DT pieces, but whenever it's on, I always think, "This is it. This is the best bit."

Offline emtee

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Have not read through the whole thread but I suspect I'm in the minority when I say I listened to it once and never again.
When IT is over I'm done. I don't ever seem to stay through the silence to get to the nugget. I'm funny that way with hidden
bonus tracks too. Must have something to do with the flow.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »
Ahhhh, the hidden track is the flow! It's not a bonus track, it's an after-dinner mint, an encore - a coda. Bagpuss yawning and going to sleep.

Incidentally!
I'm not sure it was intended as an ending to IT specifically, I think it's just on that track because it's the last. It was charted as a separate song on their whiteboard in the studio vids, so I'd consider it a separate entity.

The band put it within IT, you can't consider it as separate entity  :P :P :P :P :P  :biggrin:

sixdegreespun
I know this is flippant, but chiming in with Blob regardless - Illumination Theory was set as track 2 at the time the album was signed off, so the End Credits were almost certainly set to follow a completely different track. Likely The Bigger Picture, seeing as JP describes it as a closer.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
I love the way it was used on this tour, at the end of the show, when the credits are rolling on the screen. I already loved it, but after attending the show in Mexico city, I love it even more.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »

Never heard of it.
Could anybody shed some light on it?  ???

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »

Never heard of it.

Well, IIRC put the DVD on and watch the test screen for a while  ::)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
"Eat My Ass and Balls" in Morse Code

The mother of all Easter Eggs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2016, 08:18:03 AM »
"Eat My Ass and Balls" in Morse Code

The mother of all Easter Eggs.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2016, 06:19:04 PM »

Never heard of it.

Well, IIRC put the DVD on and watch the test screen for a while  ::)

Yep. IIRC, there's an option on one of the menus that says "Color bars". You just go into that and fast-forward until it breaks up.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal