Author Topic: Enigma Machine  (Read 36040 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Enigma Machine
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2013, 04:57:22 AM »
 I think the drum fill of the year award should go to Mike Mangini for what he does in this song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »
Easily the best song on the new album, the only one that is interesting. Really some great riffs and soloing here too, only complain is, yeah, bass solo is underwhelming. It's very similar to Erotomania though, a 20-years-later rendition of it or something, at least that's what it makes me think.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
Easily the best song on the new album
:tup

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline GalacticGuitarist87

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
It is very similar to Erotomania, I thought the same thing. It sounds nothing like it but the structure or something is similar. And they are both track 4 lol, not that that makes a difference. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »
Don't like it.

Still listen to it to try to like it.

Still don't know exactly why I don't like it - yet ?

== >> Work in progress == >> I'll let you know. :loser:
FINALLY the miracle happens!!

After many listening, I finally learned to love this huge piece of awesome music!! :metal
That took less than a day. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2013, 04:36:07 AM »
Told you it was a miracle!! ;D
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »
I think its great.  Short and powerful, especially the drums, which really drive the song.  Love how it ends with a vengeance.  Great tune to stick in the middle of the album.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2013, 05:20:25 AM »
Love Enigma Machine. It's well put together, has some nice riffs and great solos, and MM fucking kills it. It's relatively compact-SOC is just too fucking long-and doesn't overstay its welcome. Great song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
This is up there with my favorite instrumentals.  It really needs multiple listens before you can really judge it, it's a lot to take in.  Once you can memorize the main riff, you should be good to go!  :metal

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
Love the inspector gadget riff :)

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
One of the only songs to really "grab" me on the first listen, and still one of my favourites on the album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
Gotta learn the riffs from this one. 

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 05:15:26 PM »
Freakin love it! I love the unisions especially,which is probably what I like the most about DT's music.Also,I love all the solo's buy the guys.Awesome!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »
EM is not the best song on DT12, but it's fun. Reminds me of The Ytse Jam.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Happily, this song has grown on me in a major way.  Very fun song indeed, and pretty great to drive to. :metal

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »
Gotta go listen a few more times. I usually skip it, as instrumentals don't hold my attention. But reading all the praise for it is piquing my interest in a huge way!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »
Mangini's fill towards the end sounds amazing to listen to on surround sound. It lives up to the name surround sound
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cable

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »
Not my favorite DT instrumental, but better than my least favorite. And I liked EM when I first heard it.
---

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
Happily, this song has grown on me in a major way.  Very fun song indeed, and pretty great to drive to. :metal

I caught myself doing 50mph in a 35mph zone yesterday.  I realized after I slowed down that every time this song comes on while I'm driving I speed up  :lol   

Offline adamack

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Though I like EM a *bit* better than I did at first, I still consider it to be very lacking in melody for my personal taste.

To me, it's  my 2nd least fav on DT12, after The Looking Glass.

And for everyone who has said something about the bass solo being pathetically short, I just wanted to say: HELL YEAH! Same goes for the drum solo. I was expecting the solo spots to be actual lengthy solos, perhaps at least 10-15 seconds or so each.

The drum "solo" is awesome, definitely not hating on it, but I wish both the drum and bass solos were longer.

With all that said, I still think the track is okay. Just pales in comparison to most of the rest of the album, IMHO.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:09 AM »
I wouldn't change a thing about the drum solo, I think it's the most effective this way. A longer solo could break the flow and wouldn't pack such a punch. I love short solos like this, Virgil Donati's on Clonus is one of my all-time favorite drum moments (and this one is up there as well).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
The beginning of this song has replaced the BITS throatsinging as my ringtone.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
According to JP the drum solo was originally even shorter, but MM wanted to extend it a bit and they allowed him to do so.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
It did nothing for me at first but now I love it as much as the rest of the album. The MM bits just bring a smile to  my face for some reason.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
I could see an extended YYZ/YtseJam style drum solo live.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »
I could see an extended YYZ/YtseJam style drum solo live.

This would be neat, especially if we get an extended bass solo spot for Myung as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned or if anyone saw it, but on the TV show Pawn Stars, a guy brought in an Enigma Machine to sell on the show last night.  Said there were only 4 known in the US.  He wanted 250k for it, so they had the expert come in and evaluate, turns out his model had some replacement parts and was only worth 70k.
Were used by the German field generals in WWII to encrypt messages.  Turns out we cracked the code early on but had to underplay how much we knew so they would not recalibrate.

But as the owner of the pawn shop was looking at it he said, "the coolest thing about this thing is the name - Enigma Machine"   :metal
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
I wouldn't change a thing about the drum solo, I think it's the most effective this way. A longer solo could break the flow and wouldn't pack such a punch. I love short solos like this, Virgil Donati's on Clonus is one of my all-time favorite drum moments (and this one is up there as well).

The drum break on " Don't Look Back In Anger " is a really nice moment too. Short and sweet.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned or if anyone saw it, but on the TV show Pawn Stars, a guy brought in an Enigma Machine to sell on the show last night.  Said there were only 4 known in the US.  He wanted 250k for it, so they had the expert come in and evaluate, turns out his model had some replacement parts and was only worth 70k.
Were used by the German field generals in WWII to encrypt messages.  Turns out we cracked the code early on but had to underplay how much we knew so they would not recalibrate.

I'm assuming you're British? They were the ones decrypting the Enigma Machine to my knowledge (Alan Turing and stuff).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
This is one of the only DTXII songs I enjoy, but one thing drives me crazy: the effect that keeps getting used on the drums. I don't know what it's called, but it has that "whoosh" feeling and is very prevalent in Rainbow's Rising.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
It really stretches the word "solo" to call any drum or bass moment on the song a "solo." A real bass and/or drum solo could have been amazing, and a new DT moment. Love the drums on EM, but that is a fill, not a "solo."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »

I'm assuming you're British? They were the ones decrypting the Enigma Machine to my knowledge (Alan Turing and stuff).

But Hollywood rewrote history again. John Bon Jovi captured it before becoming even shorter.

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
Enigma is great.  Took a little bit to really grow, but I love it now and think its perfectly placed on the album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
This song is underrated like a MoFo.....really fun, and every instrument just goes crazy. Yet it still has that musical hook that keeps coming back (the Inspector Gadget-like theme)

Offline Grizz

« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
Enigma Machine reminds me of the good parts of Stream of Consciousness while not dragging on like the latter.