Author Topic: Enigma Machine  (Read 36007 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Enigma Machine
« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »
So I just listened to the song again for the first time in a long time (a year, maybe?), and it's better than I remembered. Maybe I should bust out DT12 again and see whether my opinion on it has changed.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2015, 03:08:46 AM »
erwinrafael, fear not. Some of us really got a kick out of your interpretation. :tup :tup

Thanks, Kev. I came to my interpretation (hope it is clear now) when I tried to play the fill (I can not play it, I am nowhere near that level) or at least picture to my mind how it would be played. And then I watched videos of Mike playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpDGlTmUM8&feature=youtu.be&t=7m28s

https://youtu.be/mNqMVr7c3Cs?t=58s

First four movements is "winding" in an ascending loop (see his arms going forward or to the center of his kit) and then it "unwinds" and loops back fast (his arms go the reverse way of how he was moving slowly forward earlier), then zips to the cannon drums (for what i perceive is the catapult effect).

Some drummers did tutorials of this fill on a regular drum kit. They did not get it exactly, but they did get the basics of it. In a regular drum kit, the "winding up", the "unwinding" and the "catapult" is seen better because you see the arms going counter-clockwise to the left, reversing to the right and then zipping.

https://youtu.be/4JgQ95miYe4?t=5m55s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v9GU_oDQik

So its not some random filling up of bars with so many hits. There is a method, a melody even, if you get the pattern.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:20:38 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2015, 05:51:07 AM »
My theory about the EM drum solo is that during writing, they left a fixed set of bars for MM to do a drum solo. MM probably wanted to showcase a bit, so he kinda crammed all that stuff into those few bars. Wouldn't be surprised if the spot was specifically written to be the "live drum solo" spot.

True, and it worked well in the live setting.  This song was always solid IMO, but worked better live.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2015, 05:56:53 AM »
I love the Enigma Machine drum solo, I was instantly blown away and came to appreciate it even more after I understood what's going on. It actually prompted me to buy a set of octobans and to make this little video: https://www.facebook.com/laszlo.szikszay/videos/vob.100001140241019/823186611062673/?type=2&theater

The BTFW drum solo is extremely enjoyable, largely thanks to the great, punchy and powerful drum sound.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:46 AM »
That's gold, Sycsa.  :rollin

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
???

I don't see how erwinrafael's post was presented as a fact; it was a cool "here's a fun interpretation of the song" post, I thought.  And saying you'd be all for him leaving?  That was more than rude.

erwinrafael, fear not. Some of us really got a kick out of your interpretation. :tup :tup

Exactly. Jeez. So tired of the whole "That's your opinion not a fact" bs

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
It's not a bad instrumental, but I'm sick of it. I wish my phone would play something else from that album when it's on shuffle...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
I was too underwhelmed by the uncanny references to BC&SL in this song to appreciate any of it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:45 AM »
I was too underwhelmed by the uncanny references to BC&SL in this song to appreciate any of it.

Besides The Count of Tuscany, what other references are there?

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »

Besides The Count of Tuscany, what other references are there?
Isn't there some similarity with the "beautiful agony" part of ANTR?