Author Topic: Enigma Machine  (Read 36110 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: Enigma Machine
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
About 2:48 of Enigma Machine reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgsT9aD2po

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
About 2:48 of Enigma Machine reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgsT9aD2po

Wow, that's really cool game music!!  :o really Mission Impossible inspired as EM too.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
EM machine reminds me of VG music as well, more precisely Shadow of the Ninja for the NES, which had one of my favorite soundtracks of my childhood.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
EM also now reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqaNrWcIRYY

Offline Enalya

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
This song didn't do a lot for me at first, but it is slowly growing on me.
Also, there is NO "The" in Enigma Machine, so some need to go out of that nasty habit of adding one. :biggrin: :lol

Exactly the same here. It starts like James Bond is peeking over a wall, waiting to make moves, then it continues in groovy action. I'm always hopping during that part : p
It missed some direction for me, but the more I know what's coming, the more I enjoy it. Love how the end is ready for The Bigger Picture :hefdaddy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »
Over time, this has become one of my favorites from the new album.  Of course, I can say that about the majority of the songs on DT12, but this one is just killer to crank when driving. :metal

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2013, 03:50:05 AM »
It really stretches the word "solo" to call any drum or bass moment on the song a "solo." A real bass and/or drum solo could have been amazing, and a new DT moment. Love the drums on EM, but that is a fill, not a "solo."

Concerning MM moment, I see where you are coming from. I actually think it's halfway between a solo and a fill.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned or if anyone saw it, but on the TV show Pawn Stars, a guy brought in an Enigma Machine to sell on the show last night.  Said there were only 4 known in the US.  He wanted 250k for it, so they had the expert come in and evaluate, turns out his model had some replacement parts and was only worth 70k.
Were used by the German field generals in WWII to encrypt messages.  Turns out we cracked the code early on but had to underplay how much we knew so they would not recalibrate.

I'm assuming you're British? They were the ones decrypting the Enigma Machine to my knowledge (Alan Turing and stuff).

But Hollywood rewrote history again. John Bon Jovi captured it before becoming even shorter.

Well, Americans did capture an enigma machine, but it was later in the war (1944), and not nearly as important as the earlier captured enigma materials.

Concerning MM moment, I see where you are coming from. I actually think it's halfway between a solo and a fill.

A fillo?

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
It really stretches the word "solo" to call any drum or bass moment on the song a "solo." A real bass and/or drum solo could have been amazing, and a new DT moment. Love the drums on EM, but that is a fill, not a "solo."

Yeah, it's really like an extended fill.  I love it to death, though; one of the very few DT moments that I anticipate getting to when listening to the rest of the song.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
I have the iPad on shuffle and heard it earlier this morning.  It's an enigma alright.  Especially the part where it slows down and sounds exactly like something from BC&SL.  ANTR maybe?  Can't for the life of me figure out why they would want to do that.  Totally kills the song for me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
I would call that a dynamic shift, and slowing it down for a brief bit in a song that is otherwise very high energy.  I would still bet my bank account that Rush's YYZ was the inspiration for that section.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »
I would call that a dynamic shift, and slowing it down for a brief bit in a song that is otherwise very high energy.  I would still bet my bank account that Rush's YYZ was the inspiration for that section.

I once said that it's like a mix between that YYZ section and the similarly-sounding section from TCOT, and I still go by that comparison.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »

Yes, I would agree and it makes sense within the context of the song, but why make it sound so similar to BC&SL?  That's the part that's killing me.  Same chord progressions and everything.  I just feel that DT is falling back on their own material too much.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
I really can't hear any BC&SL in Enigma Machine. No idea what you're talking about. Could you maybe point out the song sections you find similar to the slow part in Enigma Machine?

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
Especially the part where it slows down and sounds exactly like something from BC&SL.  ANTR maybe?  Can't for the life of me figure out why they would want to do that.  Totally kills the song for me.

This. Fricking love the song up until that point, but it's just painful how similar that bit is to the slow part midway through TCOT, and how the melody and chords and reminiscent of ANTR.

Although, to be fair, it's one of the only instances on the album of something sounding similar to a past work.

I really can't hear any BC&SL in Enigma Machine. No idea what you're talking about. Could you maybe point out the song sections you find similar to the slow part in Enigma Machine?

Compare:
3:37 - EM
with
10:16 - TCOT

Offline Grizz

« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
Compare:
3:37 - EM
with
10:16 - TCOT
Also compare that same section's chord progression to "Stunned and bewildered, cold and afraid..." from ANtR
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
So I've been wondering - where in this song does it sound like the Inspector Gadget theme? I've been curious about this for months because I *still* don't hear it. That theme song is in a swung-sounding triple-feel where as "Enigma Machine" is strictly duple-sounding the whole time, nothing about it is jazzy or in a swing-feel. Can anyone point this out for me because I'm just not hearing it.  :facepalm:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »

I once said that it's like a mix between that YYZ section and the similarly-sounding section from TCOT, and I still go by that comparison.

Oh yeah, it does sound similar to the section in TCOT. I never noticed that before. I don't have a problem with the section at all, especially the way it kicks back into the sneaky little guitar/keyboard part before going back into the riff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I never caught that similarity either, but even being aware of it now, I don't care.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2013, 03:37:18 AM »
o.O Weird how I've never noticed how similar they are. Good catch.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
I have the iPad on shuffle and heard it earlier this morning.  It's an enigma alright.  Especially the part where it slows down and sounds exactly like something from BC&SL.  ANTR maybe?  Can't for the life of me figure out why they would want to do that.  Totally kills the song for me.

Yep it's definitely a nod to ANTR. The album has plenty of nods to past work.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
The album has plenty of nods to past work.

:o Care to elaborate?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
Is it 2011? :P

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »

:o Care to elaborate?

The already mentioned nod to ANTR, also Along For The Ride has a nod to Beneath The Surface, TBP has a nod to BAI (IMO). Those just the few that pop into my head now, I remember hearing some ITPOE somewhere but it escapes me now.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
Along For The Ride has a nod to Beneath The Surface
Just because Jordan used the same patch? Gimme a break. With ADTOE, I can understand, some of it was uncannily like I&W, but I wouldn't call DT sounding like DT 'nods to past'.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
Just because Jordan used the same patch? Gimme a break. With ADTOE, I can understand, some of it was uncannily like I&W, but I wouldn't call DT sounding like DT 'nods to past'.

Not just the same patch, but the runs he plays sounds similar, that's just my opinion, take it as you may see fit (with much annoyance as it seems to be so far).  :\

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »

Not just the same patch, but the runs he plays sounds similar, that's just my opinion, take it as you may see fit (with much annoyance as it seems to be so far).  :\

I agree on that one, to an extent. I definitely noticed that on my first listen, not just that the patch was the same but that the melodic structure of that solo was very similar. But just because it's similar I wouldn't have thought it was an intentional "nod" unless those songs had something in common thematically, which as far as I know, they don't.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2013, 03:54:28 AM »

I agree on that one, to an extent. I definitely noticed that on my first listen, not just that the patch was the same but that the melodic structure of that solo was very similar. But just because it's similar I wouldn't have thought it was an intentional "nod" unless those songs had something in common thematically, which as far as I know, they don't.

If I have never noticed DT doing this in the past (by giving nods to either past work or other bands) I would not think much of it. We all agree that TLG and STR are nods to Rush, BTV nods to Metallica and/or Rush again with that opening riff (creeping death and/or Tom Sawyer to be exact). And if you look further back to 6doit, TGD has a huge nod to Tool's 46 & 2. Those are just moments from the top of my head. I'm sure there's lots more.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
TEM is sadly a record holder for me, in that it sports three bad solos (keys, guitar, drums), and in fact IMHO it is Jordan's worst solo to date.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
I really love the beginning, but don't remember much about the song.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
TEM is sadly a record holder for me, in that it sports three bad solos (keys, guitar, drums), and in fact IMHO it is Jordan's worst solo to date.
Jordan's worst solo still is the bebot solo for me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »

We're talking about the AROP solo right? If so, +1.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
1. It's not TEM.
2. How is that drum solo bad?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2013, 05:07:13 AM »
I think EM is the weakest track on the album by far, but I really wouldn't consider the drum solo weak. It fits the song rather well and manages to still be complex.