Author Topic: DT12 available on HD Tracks!  (Read 53394 times)

Offline WildeSilas

Re: DT12 available on HD Tracks!
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »
I personally feel like RR has been taking advantage of DT fan's enthusiasm with bait and switch bullshit like this since since BCSL. I don't understand why the band doesn't get more involved and control some of it. Feeling kinda ripped off atm. DT has always been a band that gave more than expected, but the last few releases have the goodies so split up that you're forced to buy several versions as a completist. Fuck me, right?
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
Why can't they just sell the CD with this quality then?

I'm not really an audiophile or anything, but my guess is that this version is primarily mastered for high-end audio systems, whereas the retail version has to sound reasonably good on everything from cheap laptop speakers and stereos etc., and therefore is mastered in a different way?

But I might be totally wrong here  :biggrin:
No, you're right.

No, he's wrong. Badly mastered music does not sound good on cheap speakers. Badly mastered music sounds bad everywhere. Sure, you need decent equipment for music to shine but there is no "mastering for bad equipment" that makes music sound good on bad speakers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
I personally feel like RR has been taking advantage of DT fan's enthusiasm with bait and switch bullshit like this since since BCSL. I don't understand why the band doesn't get more involved and control some of it. Feeling kinda ripped off atm. DT has always been a band that gave more than expected, but the last few releases have the goodies so split up that you're forced to buy several versions as a completist. Fuck me, right?

:soon: have always done this. With all their releases.

Offline mikidream

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »
guys... I don't know if it is just me and I'm making things up, but if you just listen to the samples, they sound incredibly good :huh: is it possible?? 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
guys... I don't know if it is just me and I'm making things up, but if you just listen to the samples, they sound incredibly good :huh: is it possible??

Yes.  The HD tracks are of a much higher quality.  And honestly don't even worry about the bit rate or sampling rate.  This is a completely different master.  It does not have the hyper dynamic compression that the CD has.  Think, DT12 sound, with the clarity and space of something closer to Awake or Images and Words.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »
So will listening to these through my PC (with 2.1 Logitech speakers or my Sennheiser headphones) or through my phone with an average pair of Panasonic earphones show a noticeable difference? Obviously nobody can tell how good my ear is  ;D But there's little point in me buying this if it's only noticeable to most people on high end systems.

Strange. I am still able to add the HD tracks via the red button to my cart (using the link provided in this thread) and I live in Norway...

Yes, even on cheap stereo system you should be able to hear the difference. I can hear it on my current Logitech X-530 setup and Koss Porta Pro headphones :D
:tup Thanks. Unfortunately I'm in the UK and I can't get it to work either  :-[

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Used Hola and finally got it to work. Lots of trouble with the website though. Listening to IT now and it's worth the extra outlay, even on the laptop with headphones. The strings  :heart

It just sounds warmer. Like music used to  :biggrin:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
Yea it was kind of dumb of them not to announce this ahead of time.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
I knew they were going to do this, I just thought it would be way after the release like before.

I need 30 dollars damn it!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Agreed. In fact, I can't believe how much the forum is eating this up. Oh, I just spent $15 on the album the band's been pimping for months. What's another $20 at the last minute, to get what I really wanted?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
Dude. There are people here who collect hundreds of bootlegs (paying for them, at times) or just every single object that was barely touched by a band member. And do you find it surprising that people are spending their money on this?  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jammindude

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Agreed. In fact, I can't believe how much the forum is eating this up. Oh, I just spent $15 on the album the band's been pimping for months. What's another $20 at the last minute, to get what I really wanted?

Try $100.   :facepalm:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Warhorse000

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
I just bought from HDTracks and IMO it sounds like crap.

The audio has like a very high mid frequency cranked or something and Labrie is almost inaudible on The Enemy Inside.  What gives?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
I just bought from HDTracks and IMO it sounds like crap.

The audio has like a very high mid frequency cranked or something and Labrie is almost inaudible on The Enemy Inside.  What gives?

:itsatrap:

MP trying to sabotage sales!

:neverusethis:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
Dude. There are people here who collect hundreds of bootlegs (paying for them, at times) or just every single object that was barely touched by a band member. And do you find it surprising that people are spending their money on this?  :lol

To me, HD Tracks would have been the option I bought, if the band had made up aware that an audiophile version was being released. The fact that we all already bought whichever versions were advertised as being released today and are offered this as an addition does bother me a bit, honestly.

Offline TL

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »

To me, HD Tracks would have been the option I bought, if the band had made up aware that an audiophile version was being released. The fact that we all already bought whichever versions were advertised as being released today and are offered this as an addition does bother me a bit, honestly.
Yeah, I have to agree. The more dynamic master should have been used on the CD version to begin with, and then the combination of the compressed CD master and no advance notice of the release day 'audiophile' version is a bit shady. As much as I would love to have the HD Tracks version, I already bought a copy. I'm not going to immediately buy another copy just to get the version that should have been the main release to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:39:11 PM by TL »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »
DTF. the place to complain about every thing dream theater does

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
Someone at the MP forum mentioned that a 24 bit version is included in the DVD. He popped in the DVD and saw the files. He says they are the same as the HD tracks..

Can anyone confirm this? I haven't received the CD/DVD version yet so I can't confirm.

Below is his quote

"FYI - I just put the DVD in my computer to rip the 5.1 tracks, and it appears the 24-bit stereo version is also included. So, if you have the deluxe, no need to buy the HD Tracks version. "

Offline ethebubbeth

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Someone at the MP forum mentioned that a 24 bit version is included in the DVD. He popped in the DVD and saw the files. He says they are the same as the HD tracks..

Can anyone confirm this? I haven't received the CD/DVD version yet so I can't confirm.

Below is his quote

"FYI - I just put the DVD in my computer to rip the 5.1 tracks, and it appears the 24-bit stereo version is also included. So, if you have the deluxe, no need to buy the HD Tracks version. "

Unfortunately, the 2.0 MLP version on the DVD is NOT the same master as the HD Tracks version.

It is just as loud, if not louder, than the CD version.  Unfortunately, the HD Tracks version is the only one with reasonable dynamic range.

Here is a comparison of the two on The Enemy Inside (HD Tracks FLAC is on top, DVD-A 2.0 MLP is on bottom):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!

Offline 20th Century Icon

• Sir
  • These go to eleven
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
I downloaded this but I got the FLAC version which is incompatible with iPod. What's the best way to retain the audio quality for use on my iPod? It would defeat the purpose to convert to an MP3, no? Nor do I want to spend 40 bucks on software that will let me convert to another lossless format.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
ipod supports the apple lossless format ALAC i believe...

Offline volwrath

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »

Below is his quote

Unfortunately, the 2.0 MLP version on the DVD is NOT the same master as the HD Tracks version.

It is just as loud, if not louder, than the CD version.  Unfortunately, the HD Tracks version is the only one with reasonable dynamic range.

Here is a comparison of the two on The Enemy Inside (HD Tracks FLAC is on top, DVD-A 2.0 MLP is on bottom):

Actually according to https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39162.0 the 5.1 can be downmixed into a nice stereo mix with good dynamic range, although I havent quite figured out the best way to go about.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
I got lucky cause I couldn't run out and buy the album today.  So I saw news of the HD tracks and bought those instead of the retail CD.  Sweet.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »
Bought the Deluxe edition, run home, extracted the MLP files, converted to FLAC. Was pretty excited to see 2.0 tracks, hoping to avoid buying from hdtracks. Then I started listening, and it's like, everything overpowers everything else. Looked at the wave picture, and all was clear.. No wonder there was no mention of stereo mix on the box.
not fair  :'(

At least my WD Live! HD appears to be able to play 5.1 converted FLAC tracks, with the receiver showing 5.1 PCM. So not everything was lost  :metal

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »
I caved and bought the HDTracks too... HOLY. CRAP.

I wasn't expecting to sound THAT good.  VERY impressive.  The CD is fine for car listening, but for real active listening this HDTracks version just kills it.  So awesome.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »

I wasn't expecting to sound THAT good.  VERY impressive.  The CD is fine for car listening, but for real active listening this HDTracks version just kills it.  So awesome.

Honestly it should be illegal.  The official release should have been the master from the HD tracks.  People got fucked and they don't even know it.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »

Honestly it should be illegal.  The official release should have been the master from the HD tracks.  People got fucked and they don't even know it.
It was $20 bucks - not a big deal.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:08 AM »
That's not the point.  The fact is they wide released an inferior version and then made people shell out for the real version.  It's unfortunate.  I'm lucky that I didn't buy the regular version.  If I had, I would have been insanely pissed off.  It's kind of a dirty tactic.

This seems like it will be a precedent now.  CD's and normal releases will be over compressed and sound like crap so you will have to pay 20 bucks for a digital download. 

They should have told us all before the album came out.   That being said, I'm just glad that the high quality high dynamic masters were made available. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »
I agree with 7SB, but otoh....owning the boxed set is worth it TO ME just because of the "piece of art" you're getting...which is important to me. Your mileage may vary.

Some people collect sculptures...to some music fans, boxed sets ARE OUR sculptures.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »
I agree with 7SB, but otoh....owning the boxed set is worth it TO ME just because of the "piece of art" you're getting...which is important to me. Your mileage may vary.

Some people collect sculptures...to some music fans, boxed sets ARE OUR sculptures.

Yeah but dude.  You dropped 100 bucks on it.  It should have had the god damn good master with it haha.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2013, 12:36:35 AM »
I agree...but at the same time, it's hard to be pissed at what I'm holding in my hands right now.

And remember, it's my understanding that the FLAC files I got (as well as the DVD tracks) are very nearly as good as the HDTracks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2013, 12:45:19 AM »

It bothers me a bit as well, but I know to wait next time.

On the other hand, I didn't buy the boxset, so I've spent a total of around £21 getting the album in 3 formats - regular CD, 5.1 DVD and HD digital with a different master. That's actually pretty good value for me, given how much I like the music. Getting the deluxe version means I have the album cover, booklet etc. which I like to have, the regular CD I'll probably never listen to but oh well, and the 5.1 I have for the future as I expect to get a surround sound system eventually. So all in all it's not too bad.

Oh and the HD tracks sound really damn good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
And remember, it's my understanding that the FLAC files I got (as well as the DVD tracks) are very nearly as good as the HDTracks.

If you're talking about the FLAC files that came with the vinyl, then I don't think so. The FLAC files with the boxset are just the same as the CD as far as I know. The HDTracks are a different and much better master, along with being higher quality.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2013, 12:54:34 AM »

If you're talking about the FLAC files that came with the vinyl, then I don't think so. The FLAC files with the boxset are just the same as the CD as far as I know. The HDTracks are a different and much better master, along with being higher quality.

I thought someone did a side by side and the FLAC's were better than the CD...but not of the same sampling rate as the HD tracks.

To be fair, I havn't heard my CD yet.   I made my own CD from the FLAC's on Monday, and just got the box set today and only listened to the DVD.