Author Topic: DT12 available on HD Tracks!  (Read 53416 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT12 available on HD Tracks!
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
It's funny, when the album first came out I had been listening to the online stream nonstop for a solid week with headphones while at work -- so when I got the CD version I could instantly hear that the sound quality was... less good.  Irritated, I got the HD tracks and I was thrilled by the crystal clear quality.  Then, I put the album on the shelf for a few weeks and I gave the new Fates Warning disc a few weeks of listening.  When I revisited the new DT album about a month later, I went straight to the CD version instead of the HD tracks.  This time, the CD sounded fine to me -- and I've been listening to it ever since.  I think I just needed fresh ears.  I still admit that the HD tracks are better quality.  But I'm content with the CD version now.   :smiley:
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kolahola

« Reply #456 on: January 19, 2014, 06:21:07 AM »
A simple question...
I've bought the vinyl edition of DT12, at amazon.
The official store says that it includes Flac files of the tracks, it's valid if it's bought at other store, such as Amazon?

https://dreamtheater.warnerartists.net/es/featured/new-music/dream-theater-12-vinyl.html
Here is. I can't find where to download the album in flac  :blush

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #457 on: January 19, 2014, 07:30:45 AM »
The record has download card inside the jacket, look for it. It took me a few minutes to find it buried in there. The card will have a web address and a code to input and you'll get your flac files.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #458 on: January 19, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
The ones that came with the vinyl are the same as the CD though, correct?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline kolahola

« Reply #459 on: January 19, 2014, 10:41:34 AM »
Thanks! Never thought that it would be there.
Downloading right now. It has the same quality as the HD tracks? I don't want to pay twice  :blush

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: January 19, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
i'm pretty sure HDTracks has exclusive rights to their version, so i doubt the FLACs that come with the vinyl are anything but the regular CD audio and mastering. (it's still very good that they are included — most only come with MP3 download codes.)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #461 on: August 25, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
I finally gave in and bought the FLAC versions.

Wow, I'm really happy with my decision. The songs sounded much much better. Best effect is in the quality of the cymbals. I cac clearly hear now the intricate patterns Mangini made with the metals.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #462 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:05 PM »
It's been forever since I listened to the Non-HD version of the album. Nor do I care to. The HD version sounds fantastic, and that's all I really care about.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #463 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
It's been forever since I listened to the Non-HD version of the album. Nor do I care to. The HD version sounds fantastic, and that's all I really care about.

Same here, but I wasn't completely turned off by it nor did it hurt my ears like Queensryche's album did, but why bother listening to the CD version when the HD version is better?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #464 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:29 PM »
I haven't listened to anything but the HDTracks or their AAC derivatives since before the release.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #465 on: August 28, 2014, 01:08:56 AM »
Yup, worth every penny.

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #466 on: August 31, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
DT12 sounds like a absolute wall of noise to me. Don't get me wrong, I love this album. The music is great except The Enemy Inside, never liked that one. The instruments just sound like they are all drowning together. If I knew HD tracks would have been made available I would have waited on buying the deluxe cd set and bought the HD tracks instead. The 5.1 does sound a bit cleaner but I can't play it in my car. They're should have been a free voucher in the cd to download these HD tracks. Not buy them again. When you buy a bluray combo pack you usually get bluray, dvd and hd digital download. Kind of feels unfair to me actually. Great music on the album though.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
To be honest, the HD version is a large improvement, but the mix is still a cluttered mess. Don't feel too bad if you think you're missing out. I totally agree they should have a pre order option of the HD versions though. If the last releases are anything to go by, next time around, just listen to the free stream until the HD version comes out.

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #468 on: September 01, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
A band as talented as DT should have the best of the best mastering and engineering their music. It shouldn't sound all jumbled together. Their first several albums sounded better in this area. Much cleaner and the instruments sound natural not overly digital. And I know nothing about this. I only know what sounds better personally to my ears.