Author Topic: Behind the Veil  (Read 24834 times)

Offline RuRoRul

Re: Behind the Veil
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
I reckon this is my second favourite on the album. The intro is really great, very cinematic and different, although I can understand why some people like the intro and not the rest of the song or vice versa.

After the intro or is a really solid heavier DT song. The instrumental is amazing, and my favourite bit of the song (and one if the best parts of the album) is toward the end of it with a huge riff that continues through the last chorus.

Offline JPX

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
I see absolutely zero need for the intro. But when the song starts for reals, it's my favorite on the album (and JP's best solo on the record also).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
I could be wrong, but the lyrics seem to fit a lot more with the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping story. The veil that her kidnapper put on her was a pretty big deal in the case. Check out this article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328204/Elizabeth-Smart-kidnapper-refused-let-detective-veil.html

and also:

https://righttruth.typepad.com/right_truth/2010/11/elizabeth-smart-the-veil-and-religion.html

I think that Amanda Berry and the other 2 girls in the Cleveland kidnapping case also wore veils sometimes when Ariel Castro let them outside (on only a few occasions), so the lyrics can definitely be generalized to cover both cases, or perhaps even any kidnapping case involving a veil.

But Elizabeth Smart's veil in particular garnered a lot of media attention and articles, so I really think this case may account for the bulk of the chorus lyrics. Again, I could be totally wrong, just wanted to throw this out there.

Awesome song by the way!! Currently tied with Surrender To Reason for my favorite on the album. In fact, I prob like BTV the slightest bit more. Screw it, fav. song on the album.  :metal

Ahh thanks for the background. Now I understand the veil reference. Didn't follow the story at all.

Offline spanny

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
Overall I wasnt the biggest fan of this album, but this song was great!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
Overall I wasnt the biggest fan of this album, but this song was great!

was? was?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
The intro to this song sounds really really nice! Its a shame that the song that follows, is nothing special.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
That odd #'d eighth note keeps tripping me. Half wondered if it was an odd #'d bar of 16th notes. Now i just feel dumb.
Anyways, thanx.

Is it weird that I kept reading "#'d" as "sharped"? Then in context, it didn't make sense... "odd sharped eighth note"...wait...what? Then I realized you probably meant "numbered", but the musician in me read the symbol as a sharp  :lol

-Marc.

like I said, I was stoned...might not have made sense at the best of times.

in other news, now that illumination theory has REALLY grown on me, BTV might only be my 3rd fav on the album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 05:35:43 AM »
I love the vocals when jlb sings "hour"

I love the way he sings 'hour'

Are you gonna tell us that every hour (or two)?  :lol

-Marc.
He's due for another check-in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soulburner

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
So did anyone play with the isolated stems for this song included in the boxset?

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:44 AM »
My box set arrived this morning and I've been listening to a few minutes of different stems at work. Nice to have separate backing vocals and solos this time. There are a few harmony lines by JP backing the choruses that have a definite Queensr˙che feel. Cool to hear them separately as they're not too prominent in the mix.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
Love this song.  The beginning kind of reminds me of The Great Debate with the way the synth sounds, it creates a similar atmosphere.  The actual melody of the verses reminds me of the beginning synth of Hell's Kitchen for whatever reason, has a little bit of a resemblance to me.  Also, the synth patch used at 1:49 reminds me Majesty as well as WDADU.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:36:45 AM by Octawakeimages »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
This song gets better and better with each listen. So awesome.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online T-ski

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
The intro to this song sounds really really nice! Its a shame that the song that follows, is nothing special.

this.

the intro has nothing to do with the rest of the song.  If they would have segued into something off of the intro and worked from there this could have been awesome.  When I hear songs like this it makes me wish they'd get and outside producer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 07:34:06 PM »

this.

the intro has nothing to do with the rest of the song.  If they would have segued into something off of the intro and worked from there this could have been awesome.  When I hear songs like this it makes me wish they'd get and outside producer.

Seems like a fickle complaint to me. I think it's a great introduction. The intro lulls you into a trance and then a Metallica-style riff slaps you in the face out of nowhere. It's supposed to be totally jarring and upsetting. If I were setting a music video to that song-- and I think it would have made a better single w/ video than TEI-- I could think of a million ways to sequence that visually.

There are tons of classic songs that have similar transitions. Since I (and numerous other people) have mentioned the Metallica influence, Damage Inc. and Fight Fire with Fire are two right off the top of my head that achieve the same effect. How about Bridges in the Sky for a more recent example? Musically, I guess that intro has zero to do with the flurry of riffs that follow it.

Also forgot to mention...favorite guitar solo on the album  :tup

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:02:11 PM by Tis BOOLsheet »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »

Yes!! This solo is fantastic.....my favorite on the album as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 05:13:25 AM »
It's a top 5 JP solo already for me, incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »

JP's sweep during the final chorus....makes me curse and hit something every time.  How many friggin fingers does that guy have on his left hand?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online T-ski

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »

this.

Seems like a fickle complaint to me. I think it's a great introduction. The intro lulls you into a trance and then a Metallica-style riff slaps you in the face out of nowhere. It's supposed to be totally jarring and upsetting. If I were setting a music video to that song-- and I think it would have made a better single w/ video than TEI-- I could think of a million ways to sequence that visually.

There are tons of classic songs that have similar transitions. Since I (and numerous other people) have mentioned the Metallica influence, Damage Inc. and Fight Fire with Fire are two right off the top of my head that achieve the same effect. How about Bridges in the Sky for a more recent example? Musically, I guess that intro has zero to do with the flurry of riffs that follow it.

point 1.  How do you  know it supposed to be jarring and upsetting, were you there when they were recording it?

point 2.  The intro to Bridges in the Sky actually has something to do with the song, where as the intro to BTV doesn't.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »

JP's sweep during the final chorus....makes me curse and hit something every time.  How many friggin fingers does that guy have on his left hand?

6, I count 6. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
I quite like this song, it's just the pre-chorus and chorus stopping me from really loving it.
I love the intro, the heavy riffing, JLB during those verses, and the instrumental section (dat solo), but I don't like the pre-chorus and chorus as much.
But... but... DAT CHORUS.

I really like this song, it's my number 4 on the album. Everything going on is great (even if when the full band comes in it's a little bit too overly Metallica-like) but its the chorus that really stands out for me. SO CATCHY!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
I initially didn't like how the chorus was slower than the rest of the song, but I'm starting to accept it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
Behind the Veil just clicked for me. Really cool song.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
This song has officially made it to my favorite on the album. I can't listen to it enough.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »

this.

2112's intro comes to mind. Perhaps an influence?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
Actually skipped it on plays 3 - about 10.  But absolutely wearing it out now.  JP does so much during the chorus and verses and then the solo, with the smokey, nasty ending, then the ridiculous sweep.  A LOT to hear in this song.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
I initially didn't like how the chorus was slower than the rest of the song, but I'm starting to accept it.

same. probably my old "dislike" about it

Offline gm5k

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
The bridge part right before JP's solo is probably my favorite JR moment on the album.  Awesome musically and sound selection wise.

Also doesn't hurt that it leads into one of JP's most impressive solo's in a while  :o  Already a classic/favorite DT instrumental section for me.  I'm slowly warming up to the rest of the song. 

Also, the synth patch used at 1:49 reminds me Majesty as well as WDADU.

Ah, I'm not the only one  :biggrin:  I get strong WDADU vibes from both that part and the pre chorus.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:49:41 PM by gm5k »

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »

this.

point 1.  How do you  know it supposed to be jarring and upsetting, were you there when they were recording it?

point 2.  The intro to Bridges in the Sky actually has something to do with the song, where as the intro to BTV doesn't.

Point 1: it's plainly obvious. The difference between the two sections is so night and day that it's virtually impossible the band did not perceive the musical implications of their own writing. The shocking thing is that so many listeners seem to be completely oblivious to it-- rather they think DT just had a random piece they threw into something without giving anything any thought to its effect within the context of the song.

Point 2. The only thing that intro has to do with the song is that it's the shaman. If you didn't know what the song was about you would perceive no relevance. If DT came out tomorrow and made something up about what the BTV intro was meant to represent in the context of the song you would then like it? Musically speaking that intro has as little to do with the song as BTV's. By the way, I think both are great intros.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
Am I imagining it, or does the chime from Cygnus X-1 make an appearance quietly in the background in the intro?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 05:26:04 AM »
I still can't get past that "Creeping Death" guitar intro part though.

I don't see any similarity to Creeping Death there :huh:

Really?  I thought it was blatantly obvious that there were similarities. 

Is it just me or is there no one else who hears the similarities?

I love this song, probably my favorite on the album at this point.  As far as the nod to Creeping Death....I 100% agree.  It just has to be a nod to Metallica, too similar.  That being said, there was something sonicly familiar about this song after the first dozen spins and I couldn't quite but my finger on it.  Well...it finally hit me what it was.  I've heard a LOT off other bands influences in DT's music over the years.... but I NEVER expected this one.  I've never heard the band talk about this band influencing them.  Call me crazy.... but the chorus, especially the end of each vocal line, sounds VERY much like STYX.  If I had too pick a song, I'd say a "Man in the Wilderness" vibe for sure.  The lil guitar licks after each chorus line takes me back to those Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight days.  I don't know if it was an intentional nod.... but for me it's pretty damn cool.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
In terms of the DT catalogue, this song is in the top 5. I love every second of it and Petrucci shows his God hands beautifully on this one.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »
Can someone please tell me what time sig the first verse is in...I'm too stoned to count out that isht right now.

Also - great tune. Bit of a Rush meets Megadave vibe. A top 2 or 3 song for me, and probs #1 vocally.

I was waiting for someone to mention about the Megadeth vibe. Great song, one of my favorites!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:34 AM »
"Can you see the stranger..." is my first DT12 goosebumps moment. Happened just now. Another highlight is the intro melody and Jordan's solo, classic prog/Wakeman vibe.  :hefdaddy

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
JLBs vocal delivery makes this song. The way he sings " for a soul depraved". The intro is amazing, I see a scene that's veiled by rain and when the band kicks in, we're seeing behind the veil of the rain to reveal a horrific scene. Like a detective not knowing what lies beyond the door pf the house they're investigating.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »
After watching the Elizabeth Smart interview on Saturday night the lyrics to this song which were already good IMO became even more magnified and powerful.

Didn't JP say in an interview that theses lyrics were based off of her kidnapping and the kidnapping of the three girls held hostage for years in Cleveland? I thought I remember that revelation from one of the countless interviews.