Author Topic: Behind the Veil  (Read 25046 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: Behind the Veil
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
Gotta love how he sings 'hour'

:>

BTV is good enough, but it's not really special for me somehow.. What I mostly like about the song are these 10 seconds: 5:40 - 5:50 ::)
Gotta love headbanging to that section.
I had to go and listen and this is exactly the section I enjoy most about this song.  I'd like to see JP breakout in a jam following this part. :metal
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:40:58 AM by Another_Won »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
BTV is fantastic. There honestly isn't any section of it that falls flat and it's definitely a modern DT classic if I ever heard one. Gotta be the best song on DT12 (aside from IT).

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
Behind The Veil is my favorite DT12 song.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »
I don't know if I'd call it my favorite, but it was at one time. I love everything about this song. The intro, Mangini's drum part (especially from 3:28 to 3:50), the solo, vocals, riffs, everything. It's just wonderful. According to LastFM it's tied with ES and TGD for 5th most listened DT track. That's not completely accurate because I listened to DT for quite a while before getting the scrobbler app, but still.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »
Middle of the pack in DT12 for me, but there's really nothing bad about it. Maybe except how the first verse sounds exactly like TROAE. Besides that, great song. It has the best guitar solo on the album, in my opinion.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2014, 06:50:26 AM »
Love this track, its probably a top 2 song off of DT12 (IT being number 1).  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »
Gotta love how he sings 'hour'

:>

BTV is good enough, but it's not really special for me somehow.. What I mostly like about the song are these 10 seconds: 5:40 - 5:50 ::)

Yeah.  For me, I would say it starts at 5:32.  Leading up to that, it is sort of a "typical" JP guitar solo.  It is tasteful, well-executed, and a lot of cool stuff going on, but nothing that really stands out to me above any of his other solos.  Then that chord change underneath the solo hits at 5:32, and the entire tone of the solo changes and it quickly ramps up into high gear and turns into something truly special.  I LOVE it!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
:lol  That'll work.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
Surprised no one has gotten creative with the stems yet.   There were plenty of remixes of BC&SL songs.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »
I only saw the guitar, lead, and drums stems on Youtube.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
I think that the volume of remixes is entirely dependent on p2p availability.
Of course I wouldn't know how much illegal circulation there is.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2014, 07:59:55 AM »
The whole song is great, both structurally and melodically, but the "can you see the stranger..." and the end of the guitar solo stand out as pivotal moments.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
I watched 'Prometheus' again last night and it just confirmed for me what I had thought the first time I heard 'Behind the Veil'.......the intro. soundtrack on the movie as the camera is gliding through the many landscapes of a distant Earth......sounds eerily familiar to the first minute of 'BTV'

Opening soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfDnflqMGA

yeah...neah??
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online The Letter M

« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
I watched 'Prometheus' again last night and it just confirmed for me what I had thought the first time I heard 'Behind the Veil'.......the intro. soundtrack on the movie as the camera is gliding through the many landscapes of a distant Earth......sounds eerily familiar to the first minute of 'BTV'

Opening soundtrack:

yeah...neah??

"Yay or nay?" I say thee, NAY!

Seriously though, not really, but I can see why someone *might* think that.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
The intro is amazing, as is the rest of the song. They blend just fine.

This.  I believe it's the best song on the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »

Opening soundtrack:

yeah...neah??
Not really.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
Surprised no one has gotten creative with the stems yet.   There were plenty of remixes of BC&SL songs.

Probably cause they're not so easily available. Seriously, how do you even get the stems for DT12 unless you use Jammit? BC&SL had the stripped down instrumentals (vocaless of course, but also missing the lead instrumentals). It also came with all the stems for each instrument so a lot more people ended up having access to them and messed with them. eg. BC&SL stems are the only ones I have. ADTOE had the instrumentals aswell which were proper instrumentals with the lead instrumentals present as opposed to the BC&SL 'backing tracks'. But I'm not so sure if we got the stems for ADTOE in a s similar way because I didn't get the special edition of that one.

Going off on a tangent here but I was kidna disappointed we didn't get instrumental versions this time, I think it's a nice optional extra. Nothing against the vocals, but as a fairly obsessive listener, I like to hear all the details so I find it fascinating to hear all the subtle nuances on the instruments that otherwise loose your attention and end up blending into the background due to an overlying melody.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2014, 02:41:52 AM »
BC&SL had the stripped down instrumentals (vocaless of course, but also missing the lead instrumentals). It also came with all the stems for each instrument so a lot more people ended up having access to them and messed with them.
I thought there were vocal stems for that album, also.  That's how people were able to do so many remixes of various songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »

Probably cause they're not so easily available. Seriously, how do you even get the stems for DT12 unless you use Jammit? BC&SL had the stripped down instrumentals (vocaless of course, but also missing the lead instrumentals). It also came with all the stems for each instrument so a lot more people ended up having access to them and messed with them. eg. BC&SL stems are the only ones I have. ADTOE had the instrumentals aswell which were proper instrumentals with the lead instrumentals present as opposed to the BC&SL 'backing tracks'. But I'm not so sure if we got the stems for ADTOE in a s similar way because I didn't get the special edition of that one.

Going off on a tangent here but I was kidna disappointed we didn't get instrumental versions this time, I think it's a nice optional extra. Nothing against the vocals, but as a fairly obsessive listener, I like to hear all the details so I find it fascinating to hear all the subtle nuances on the instruments that otherwise loose your attention and end up blending into the background due to an overlying melody.

Behind the Veil stems are available in the superduper deluxe edition as a bonus. On the Backs of Angels stems were available on the net after the release of ADTOE for the album owners.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Max Fedorov

« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2015, 01:35:38 AM »
Hi, I have my version of 'Behind the Veil', however Soundcloud refuses to upload it because of copyright infringement, I guess other file hosting websites will do the same. Personally, I think it's fair use because I don't have any profit out of it.

What is the correct way to post the file without offending anyone?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2015, 02:41:37 AM »
Love this song!!! The part where James sings "when the lightning strikes" gives me chills, and it has a different meaning for me. Our house got struck by lightning just two days before I bought DT12,  it was like iron maidens Ed Force one dropped a bomb on the rooftop! It freaked us the hell out and destroyed all our electronics, and literally blew plaster off our walls. We were without power for four days. I listened to the new DT album on a small battery powered ghetto blaster for a while. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
Hi, I have my version of 'Behind the Veil', however Soundcloud refuses to upload it because of copyright infringement, I guess other file hosting websites will do the same. Personally, I think it's fair use because I don't have any profit out of it.

Roadrunner Records has uploaded it to YouTube anyway.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »

Pretty late to make this comment, but yeah, I'm sad we didn't get the instrumental versions as well.  I would have loved to try to sing Behind the Veil or go for broke and try Illumination Theory or The Bigger Picture.  Such a shame.

Offline Max Fedorov

« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2015, 02:37:15 AM »

Roadrunner Records has uploaded it to YouTube anyway.

Ok, I'll just leave this right here:

https://youtu.be/jzsHgBz1ZOk

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2015, 06:56:20 AM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens