Author Topic: Behind the Veil  (Read 25010 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Behind the Veil
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »
Behind the Veil is more like "atmospheric intro" and then BANG - something completely different. And I don't really "get" that. Hence the "why..?".
Well, it's not completely different. Jordan is still playing the melody he plays in the intro during the heavy riff, and the heavy riff uses the chords played by Jordan in the intro. I think it works really well together.

This. If the intro had nothing to do with any part of the song the wtf would be valid. But it has.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »
The intro is amazing, as is the rest of the song. They blend just fine.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
The intro is amazing, as is the rest of the song. They blend just fine.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »
I still can't get past that "Creeping Death" guitar intro part though.

I don't see any similarity to Creeping Death there :huh:

Really?  I thought it was blatantly obvious that there were similarities. 

Is it just me or is there no one else who hears the similarities?
Definitely, I'd say it's pretty obvious!

It's a thrashy metal riff in E minor, chances are it will sound like Metallica/Megadeth. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2013, 03:17:39 AM »
I can hear why someone would reference Creeping Death, but it's in no way a rip or anything.  Just one of those things that's in the same vein.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »
And I bet when they came up with that riff, someone said "hey, that kinda sounds like Creeping Death...cool..." etc.  We can't accuse musicians of ripping off other musicians without being in the room when they create it. 

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
I didn't think Creeping Death with this one - I did with Constant Motion though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
I have never once thought of Creeping Death when listening to this song, and after listening to it again, I still have no idea what some of you are talking about.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
After the calm intro, the song kicks in with an aggressive riff that lets the last chord ring for a full measure (or thereabouts), which is vaguely similar to the opening intro riff in Creeping Death.  That being said:

I have never once thought of Creeping Death when listening to this song

After it was mentioned, I hear the really basic similarily.  But it is such a stretch that I never would have thought of Creeping Death if it hadn't been mentioned, and even after hearing it, they aren't similar enough to where I would connect the two moving forward.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »
After the calm intro, the song kicks in with an aggressive riff that lets the last chord ring for a full measure (or thereabouts), which is vaguely similar to the opening intro riff in Creeping Death.  That being said:

I have never once thought of Creeping Death when listening to this song

After it was mentioned, I hear the really basic similarily.  But it is such a stretch that I never would have thought of Creeping Death if it hadn't been mentioned, and even after hearing it, they aren't similar enough to where I would connect the two moving forward.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I thought too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
Nobody's done anything creative with the stems yet?

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
There are stems?!

Still! Great song. Ben_Jamin loves the way JLB sings "hour."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »
There are stems?!

I believe they came in the super duper deluxe boxset that had the DT USB stick and the Take This For The Pain documentary, so probably not a lot of people have them. The stems were only for that song though, not the whole album as they did for BCASL.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
Aw, man. That's it, I'm buying the big-bastard-box next time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
:lol
I bought the BCASL big-bastard-box just for the stems. So much fun to be had in hearing all of the isolated parts, and messing around with them. I collect a lot of stems from various artists just to dissect what makes them tick.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
This song needs to be played live ASAP!  >:(

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
The most underrated track on DT12!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »
I bought the BCASL big-bastard-box just for the stems. So much fun to be had in hearing all of the isolated parts, and messing around with them. I collect a lot of stems from various artists just to dissect what makes them tick.
I was in fifth grade when that came out so obviously I couldn't afford the bigass box. When I came across the stems I realized that it would probably be much more fun to play around with them before they went through so much compression.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »
I was in fifth grade when that came out so obviously I couldn't afford the bigass box. When I came across the stems I realized that it would probably be much more fun to play around with them before they went through so much compression.

If it weren't for the few missing samples and leads, I would have exported mixdowns of the stems to replace the album versions. If I felt like double dipping, I'd buy the HDTracks versions to solve that issue though.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »

If it weren't for the few missing samples and leads, I would have exported mixdowns of the stems to replace the album versions. If I felt like double dipping, I'd buy the HDTracks versions to solve that issue though.
The lead guitar in the chorus is waaaay to buried in the album version. Took me a while to noticed, and it's a shame because I really love it.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »

It hasn't?  Wow. 

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »

It hasn't?  Wow.
To be fair the chorus has like 4 guitars going.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
I suspect that once they start hitting markets later this year that already saw the current set list, the songs from the new album (which I won't list, so as not to spoil it for anyone still waiting to see them) that haven't been played yet will then be played.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »
I have the same hunch. For that reason, I'm hoping they do a warm up show or two for t

That's as far as I got with that post. Then I checked, found they are doing a warm up show for Sonisphere, and bought tickets immediately. Bring it on..!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2014, 05:29:08 AM »
I have the same hunch. For that reason, I'm hoping they do a warm up show or two for t

That's as far as I got with that post. Then I checked, found they are doing a warm up show for Sonisphere, and bought tickets immediately. Bring it on..!

I thought you accidently your post, and then realized that the bottom portion was not your signature. :lol

Where does it say that they are doing a warmup show? Did you just mean the show the day before Sonisphere?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2014, 06:24:56 AM »

If you're willing to put forth the effort, you could invert the stems in Audacity and play them against the album version to yield a misc stem.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »

If you're willing to put forth the effort, you could invert the stems in Audacity and play them against the album version to yield a misc stem.

I think the mastering/compression on the album version would render that method fairly ineffective, but it's a nice idea.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »

It hasn't?  Wow.
To be fair the chorus has like 4 guitars going.

Maybe he could invite some guitar player buds out to play the other tracks  :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »
One of the better songs on the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline robwebster

« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »

I thought you accidently your post, and then realized that the bottom portion was not your signature. :lol

Where does it say that they are doing a warmup show? Did you just mean the show the day before Sonisphere?
Yeah, they often sprinkle a few warmup gigs between their festival appearances. This year, no exception!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
John Petrucci lied to us.

This song is actually about Sirius Black.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »
Gotta love how he sings 'hour'

:>

BTV is good enough, but it's not really special for me somehow.. What I mostly like about the song are these 10 seconds: 5:40 - 5:50 ::)

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
Gotta love how he sings 'hour'

:>

BTV is good enough, but it's not really special for me somehow.. What I mostly like about the song are these 10 seconds: 5:40 - 5:50 ::)
Gotta love headbanging to that section.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
I think this is in the top three of the album. Might be the best.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2014, 05:34:38 PM »
This song still does nothing for me. :-[