Author Topic: Anime Music Thread  (Read 1686 times)

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

Anime Music Thread
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Did a quick search and was surprised to see there was no thread about this. Anime produces some surprisingly amazing music; I have recently been on a binge of it. Let's have a thread to discuss our favorite anime music.

This is just a small list of what I've been listening to lately:

Evangelion 2.0 - Tsubasa wo kudasai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKDaCckEt6M

Panty and Stocking - Fallen Angel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZyvA1yQzw

Welcome to the NHK - Odoru Akachan Ningen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_hNkTlN5E

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Anime Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
Hacking to the Gate (Steins;Gate)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuB1pKrax5w
Great song and also my favorite anime (and one of the all-time favorite series).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81cErxoK9s

I am a huge fan of the Zessei Bijin ending to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
Do Animetal and Animetal USA count?  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
Libera Me From Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6LFOIofRE

My eyes get watery every time I hear this song. Some emotional and/or epic stuff always happens in TTGL when this song starts to play.  :( :hefdaddy :metal

"Do the impossible, see the invisible
ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!
Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable
ROW, ROW, FIGHT THE POWER!"
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Do Animetal and Animetal USA count?  :metal
Hell yeah, their cover of Cruel Angel's Thesis is awesome.

My eyes get watery every time I hear this song. Some emotional and/or epic stuff always happens in TTGL when this song starts to play.  :( :hefdaddy :metal

Most heroic anime ever. OST is great; I love it when the piano version of the main theme comes on during the epilogue, I get a little watery eyes myself.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »
I spent an absurd amount of money buying as much Animetal as I could off Amazon, and when I got wind of Animetal USA I about died of childish bliss. The Animetal USA version of Cruel Angel's Thesis is fan-fucking-tastic.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »

Most heroic anime ever. OST is great; I love it when the piano version of the main theme comes on during the epilogue, I get a little watery eyes myself.

There's so many great songs in the OST for TTGL. :metal Still my all-time favorite anime. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Jaq

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
I can't listen to anything from Gurren Lagann because it'll make me go watch the last few episodes when shit gets real in space and I'll lose track of time again.  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
I can't listen to anything from Gurren Lagann because it'll make me go watch the last few episodes when shit gets real in space and I'll lose track of time again.  :lol

I watched the entire series from start-to-finish in under 36 hours when I watched it for the first time. By the time I finished, it was past 1 in the morning and I bawled for another thirty minutes once I finished the last episode at how sad the ending was. Incredibly bittersweet stuff.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »

Great song  :metal  When I first saw that anime, that ending came completely out of nowhere, stylistically.

I've been listening to Agedum! Puella Magica a lot lately.  It might even be my most listened to album of the year.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »

Great song  :metal  When I first saw that anime, that ending came completely out of nowhere, stylistically.

I've been listening to Agedum! Puella Magica a lot lately.  It might even be my most listened to album of the year.
Abababababa babbbyyy!

If you read the lyrics it makes more sense in the context.

Also love this track too  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAG2b36hAQg

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
ATTACK ON TITAN

Seriously, one of the best OSTs and OPs to come around. Linked Horizon is the band that did both openings for the first season and they're pretty prog metal! Bass solos, organ solos, speedy metal drumming, choirs, THE WORKS. The show's OST is also pretty freaking epic.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
ATTACK ON TITAN

Seriously, one of the best OSTs and OPs to come around. Linked Horizon is the band that did both openings for the first season and they're pretty prog metal! Bass solos, organ solos, speedy metal drumming, choirs, THE WORKS. The show's OST is also pretty freaking epic.

-Marc.
The OPs for AoT are awesome, but I think OP#2 is too triumphant for the content of the show haha. I love that one track that sounds like funeral bells going off; really lets you know when shit goes horrible.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Attack On Titan has a pretty awesome soundtrack for the most part, though sometimes I feel as if they try to hard to be epic and extravagant.

My favorite OST out of any anime is by far and away...a tie. Between two anime that are made by the same man. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Bebop is just enough jazz to give a feeling of utter loneliness and nostalgia, while Champloo is just hip enough to groove to while still retaining some essence of that classic, old-school rap. Nujabes is a great artist anyway, but in that context, it's perfect.

Another soundtrack that comes very close to being my favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The tracks "Ante Meridium" and "The Awakening" give me a full-body goose-bump effect every fucking time. It's so absolutely encapsulating. "Mt. Briggs" is also another favorite of mine. Basically any track that is played during moments of intense drama and/or foreboding atmospheres is absolutely amazing. But it's also got some great laid-back, chill music that is very uplifting. Overall, it's an extremely varied, beautiful soundtrack.

Those are the most memorable, though there's others that I've liked, but not enough to buy or consider my favorites. Honorable mentions are Code Geass and Tsuritama (which has the most happy, utterly annoyingly uplifting, chill music there is).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 12:58:01 AM »
My favorites OSTs are One Piece, Death Note, Kaiji and Bleach.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:12:01 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 01:25:10 AM »
Ah, yes... Death Note has a wonderful soundtrack as well.. I actually hated most of Bleach's soundtrack. I was truly glad when the anime randomly stopped dead. I had a feeling that it was given the quality; I'm thinking they'll give it off to a better studio after the manga finishes (BONES would be perfect) and do it all over the right way: Zero fillers and all action. BLEACH KAI.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
Also, definitely props to Yoko Kanno and the soundtracks for BOTH Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. Some of the best anime OST music I've ever heard in my entire life!!!

And yes, Code Geass is up there as well, definitely one of my favorite series and the music really helps with that!

And on the other side of the coin, a small mention to Lucky Star for providing some of the best "show about nothing" BGM since Seinfeld - the little song melodies get stuck in my head for DAYS and they're so cute and fitting to the show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 05:29:52 AM »
Ah, yes... Death Note has a wonderful soundtrack as well.. I actually hated most of Bleach's soundtrack. I was truly glad when the anime randomly stopped dead. I had a feeling that it was given the quality; I'm thinking they'll give it off to a better studio after the manga finishes (BONES would be perfect) and do it all over the right way: Zero fillers and all action. BLEACH KAI.

Yeah as someone who still occasionally enjoys the manga version of Bleach, I absolutely hated the anime adaptation. :lol If memory serves me right, Studio Pierrot invested more money in the quality of the animation for some of their non-canon filler arcs than they did the actual story line! :tdwn

And yeah, the soundtrack for Bleach isn't all that great either. I used to like some of it a little bit when I was younger, but whenever I listen to any of it nowadays, I just think, "This sounds so halfassed." Hell, even when I used to enjoy the anime, I thought the song "Number One" was a cheesy rip-off of Michael Jackson's "Beat It." :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
Picking one of the worst songs is very easy to say the OST isn't so good then  :P
I'm talking more about this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eab7kgg8I3I
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:14:51 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
Picking one of the worst songs is very easy to say the OST isn't so good then  :P
I'm talking more about this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eab7kgg8I3I

:lol I was referring to something that I thought was weak even when I did care a little bit about the OST. And yeah, the OST has far better stuff than "Number One", but I still feel that most of the better stuff on the Bleach OSTs are pretty mediocre or weak in comparison to other anime scores I've heard. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
 :lol That's okay, not that i find the ost SO GREAT but, for me, i can remember most of it even years after watching it.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
Gotta throw down some FLCL love; Gainax really knows how to make a soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euird5t3lb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVAT_pdyOA

And Watamote's EDs are surprisingly brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khalWP499Mg

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
Instead of making a whole new thread about anime music, I figured I'd resurrect this one. It's been a few years since this thread was last active, which means there have been hundreds upon hundreds of new shows and films that features new music from anime composers and OP/ED artists, both old and new.

Hiroyuki Sawano continues to be a favorite of mine, providing music for shows like Attack On Titan season 2, Re:CREATORS, Seraph Of The End, Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress, and The Seven Deadly Sins, all some of my favorite shows in recent years, with some kickass OSTs.

Yuki Kajiura released a jazzy OST with last summer's Princess Principal, which also features some amazing OP and ED songs.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Radwimps and their music for your name., especially doing their songs in both Japanese AND English, which helped along the dub and its popularity. What a beautiful film, too!

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of amazing things to talk about, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling on this discussion again and see where my fellow DTF anime fans were at! Do you watch seasonally? Or just whatever happens to be on Netflix? Do you binge, or watch weekly and struggle with the 7-day-wait like I do?

-Marc.