Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 97528 times)

Offline volwrath

Re: Illumination Theory...
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
 I dont want to bring down the value of this thread anymore than I have :) So I apologize and other than that IT is a masterpiece  :metal

Offline Knguro

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
It's a very special song. Really connects. It's up there with DT's best and yeah, during the middle section it can really tug
on the heart strings.

I feel sorry for the people that can't connect with it like many of us can.

So much this.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline adastra

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »
Best song on the album... Maybe a little too much soloing , but I can live with that.
The Orchestral part is the best shit ever on DT album.!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
I don't know how they still do it. This might be the best song that they've ever done.......

Let's see if I still feel this way in 6 months.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
I don't know how they still do it. This might be the best song that they've ever done.......
I'm not prepared to go that far with it.

But it's really friggin' good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
I will just say James LaBrie you fucking beauty...

Offline volwrath

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
5.1 IT is an amazing experience.  It makes full use of the 5.1

Offline Knguro

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »

I'm "afraid" this could be easily true.

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
I had shivers down my spine many times in that song and the album.  Love it!  Only one play through so far and many more to come!  :hefdaddy

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2013, 08:50:56 PM »
I don't think I've ever cried just by listening to a song.

You put on the series finale of Full House though.....Niagara Falls  :'(

Offline Grizz

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
Only two moments in music have made my eyes water. The string break in IT, and the solo in The Count of Tuscany in the bootleg from July 10, 2010. That's saying something, especially considering the amount of nostalgia that contributes to the latter.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
The first half of this song is really growing me... This song is turning out to be quite the beast. :metal

Offline philippaopao

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
Is it just me, or the first notes of Illumination Theory sound like ABBA's Dancing Queen?   :lol :lol :lol

I guess DT and ABBA are both inspired by Tchaikovsky in their own respective songs.  :lol

Offline Knguro

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 09:53:29 PM »
I don't think I've ever cried just by listening to a song.

You put on the series finale of Full House though.....Niagara Falls  :'(

Come on man hahahahah

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 11:58:16 PM »
This was the only song I hadn't heard prior to buying the CD.... When I heard it I was floored. The theme is so uplifting yet sad at the same time. Every part of this song just kills. The highlight is, of course, the string section performing Jordan's Godly melody. :hefdaddy  Seriously, The Embracing Circle is the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard from this band. I didn't cry, but I did bow my head and felt the presence of God. It's THAT good.  :angel: When the band comes back in it's like a punch in the gut, with JM and MM doing some killer unisons, followed by James doing something I haven't heard in 20 years, reaching the higher registers like a boss. Then comes the most epic metal instrumental section since I don't know when. I mean this song has it all. The "easter egg" is another Godly moment that is just amazing. I can't praise this song enough.

Dream Theater's best song. Period. :hefdaddy
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »
If you listen carefully you can hear the Bridges in the Sky vocal effect patch from JR.  It is in the segue into the ambient part.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2013, 02:58:28 AM »
Hi guys, I have a question for you. If you listen to the initial part of the Easter Egg through headphones (where there's only Jordan playing alone), you can hear a strange - more or less rythmical - sound in the background. Sounds like a thin metal surface vibrating or something like that... don't know how to explain but if you listen carefully you'll hear it. So, what's that in your opinion?

Offline Systematik88

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2013, 03:35:37 AM »
Hi guys, I have a question for you. If you listen to the initial part of the Easter Egg through headphones (where there's only Jordan playing alone), you can hear a strange - more or less rythmical - sound in the background. Sounds like a thin metal surface vibrating or something like that... don't know how to explain but if you listen carefully you'll hear it. So, what's that in your opinion?

Pretty sure thats the pedal of the piano going up and down.  It can sound like that in a recording environment

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2013, 03:46:02 AM »

Pretty sure thats the pedal of the piano going up and down.  It can sound like that in a recording environment

Thank you Systematik!! :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2013, 04:21:34 AM »
This song is absolutely growing on me, it's incredible DT have come up with something like this.  After ADTOE, I was skeptical to see what they had left in them, but this song is absolutely legit and is an instant DT classic.  The last section gave me goosebumps listening in the car on the way to work this morning.  Well done DT.

Also, does anyone have any theories about the point of the easter egg?   Has any of the band members talked about it.  I like it and all, but I guess I'm just thinking, why?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adastra

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2013, 04:35:11 AM »
This song is absolutely growing on me, it's incredible DT have come up with something like this.  After ADTOE, I was skeptical to see what they had left in them, but this song is absolutely legit and is an instant DT classic.  The last section gave me goosebumps listening in the car on the way to work this morning.  Well done DT.

Also, does anyone have any theories about the point of the easter egg?   Has any of the band members talked about it.  I like it and all, but I guess I'm just thinking, why?

I was thinking the same!  I like the song itself, but is there a bigger meaning for it o.o
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
We must know the bigger picture! I read somewhere (here?) some guy saying it's a teaser for the next concept album, focused on that theme. I chuckled  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2013, 04:44:10 AM »
We must know the bigger picture! I read somewhere (here?) some guy saying it's a teaser for the next concept album, focused on that theme. At first I was like

Then I lol'd.

FTFY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2013, 04:46:27 AM »
That's cool shit.

Offline Systematik88

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 04:46:57 AM »
I have to point out how awesome 2:40 is in the song.  It only lasts a short time but it has to be one of my favorite small moments from the album

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »
I finished IT in HD.

This song is beautiful. A 10/10, probably.
- Marco

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »

As many have said before me, I think it works perfectly has a closer: it embodies the sense of peace and bliss after the amazing ride, after the great travel that the album symbolizes. To me, it feels like the happiness and sweet satisfatcion of the accomplished goal. Unearthly goal maybe? Because it's too beautiful to be something tied to the gravity. A glimpse into some kind of enlightment, or a brand new awareness of the soul.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2013, 05:02:34 AM »

As many have said before me, I think it works perfectly has a closer: it embodies the sense of peace and bliss after the amazing ride, after the great travel that the album symbolizes. To me, it feels like the happiness and sweet satisfatcion of the accomplished goal. Unearthly goal maybe? Because it's too beautiful to be something tied to the gravity. A glimpse into some kind of enlightment, or a brand new awareness of the soul.

I think it works too, was just curious as to what the band where trying to accomplish.  I see what you are getting at, it definitely makes sense, and well said.

Also, I love the melody at 13:06.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:15:11 AM by wolfking »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
To me, it feels like the happiness and sweet satisfatcion of the accomplished goal. Unearthly goal maybe? Because it's too beautiful to be something tied to the gravity. A glimpse into some kind of enlightment, or a brand new awareness of the soul.

Someone please send this sentence to the band. They need to read it.
- Marco

Offline GandL

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
IT for me is a bombastic masterpiece. This is how I like DT. The best piece of music they ever done (in my own opinion).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2013, 06:44:40 AM »
Does anyone else think the Easter Egg would have worked better as the quiet section rather than the orchestra? Not saying the orchestra is bad by any means; but at least that way the band is still playing. Either way the song is awesome. That section starting at 11:00  :omg:  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2013, 06:53:52 AM »
Nope. Orchestra bit is the best part, definitely wouldn't change it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:01 AM »

Purely speculation, but to me, the easter egg music may serve two purposes, and will be the twin brother of False Awakening Suite. So just as FAS is meant to kickstart the theatrical nature of the album, and open the live setting, the easter egg music does the same thing at the other end. Meaning - 1. after a cinematic ride of an album, it acts to close out the album, as if some credits were rolling in a film; and 2. In a live setting, I think it might be played once the concert is over, and the people start filing out of the arena etc...

Just my 2 cents.. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »

Purely speculation, but to me, the easter egg music may serve two purposes, and will be the twin brother of False Awakening Suite. So just as FAS is meant to kickstart the theatrical nature of the album, and open the live setting, the easter egg music does the same thing at the other end. Meaning - 1. after a cinematic ride of an album, it acts to close out the album, as if some credits were rolling in a film; and 2. In a live setting, I think it might be played once the concert is over, and the people start filing out of the arena etc...

That is more than reasonable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JRuivo

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »

That's what I thought too!! Just like FAS opens up the movie, the easter egg means it's over, and the credits are rolling :)