Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 97514 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)
« Reply #455 on: October 18, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »
I was playing Oblivion last night, and thought I would put on something in 5.1, but I didn't want Genesis or Crimson, so I opted for a little mini concert with Systematic Chaos followed by DT12.

Maybe it was the mood I was in, maybe it was the night (it is rainy here in Connecticut), maybe it was because I was alone... but both albums just kicked my ass up, down, left, and right.   I'm still not down with the growly vocals in Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night isn't my favorite song of all time, and generally, some of the lyrics are best ignored, but the rest was far better than I remember, and far better than some of the posters here would have you believe.

But here's the reason for the post here:   I also pleasantly surprised by how DT12 hit me, and specifically The Looking Glass, The Bigger Picture, Along For The Ride, and Illumination Theory.  The big surprise was IT.   That just didn't connect for me for some reason, until last night.   The three parts (I know it's five:  I mean I/II, then III, then IV/V), the build up, the finale...  it was really a strong piece of music, and for me, the idea of the interlude works.  Whether I'd prefer it rearranged isn't relevant, because it's their statement, and that statement came through loud and clear.    And whether it was just the contrast or what, but for whatever reason, I actually consulted the lyric book more than once just to make sure I heard what I thought I heard, and even reversed a couple passages to hear them again.   I don't have them in 5.1, but I am driving this weekend, so I may revisit BC&SL and ADTOE in the same way and see if the magic strikes twice.   

Really fired up to have connected with IT like that.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2014, 06:27:06 AM »
*awesome post*

What a minute man, that's not how it is, you must be confused...

You couldn't still be playing Oblivion!

:lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
The orchestral part of IT matches quite well with the soundtrack of that game  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
It made me cry as well, the last part was very moving specially for some one like who battled depression and still battling it.

You will never know
You will neer know.

And she listens openly

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #459 on: March 07, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
I still think it's a pretty damn great song.  The BTFW version was pretty good with the strings and the crowd totally digging it.  The lyrics are still top-notch as well, especially during Live, Die, Kill.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #460 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »
It made me cry as well, the last part was very moving specially for some one like who battled depression and still battling it.

You will never know
You will neer know.

I agree with that and empathize completely. That whole last verse gets me every time. I always quote those lines of Facebook and people really like it. 

Offline madscot

« Reply #461 on: March 09, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
I've seen DT live 12 times now and have cried at least once at about 5 or 6 shows, IT makes me cry every time I listen to it, when the orchestra kicks in on the BTFW blu-ray it blows my mind, I have sobbed uncontrollably if i'm feeling a bit down listening to it

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #462 on: March 09, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
The ending of IT is for me the only time I've ever cried on not just DT concert but any concert and I cried out of happiness and I cried a lot. It was incredible. It happened when the the crowd was waving with hands together with JLB during JP's solo and on the screen was suddenly shown a little boy in the crowd on shoulders of his father.

He was waving as well and his face was so beautiful, clean and innocent like the most children has but combined with the message of the song it was a perfect fit and connected with me very very deeply and I totally exploded with joy and happiness. It was one of the most emotional moment in my life yet. This is the reason why IT and whole DT12 will always have a very very special place in my heart.

Offline Liveinthemoment

« Reply #463 on: March 09, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
Chalk me down for crying as well. I have cried nearly every time I have heard IT, always near the end.

It is a struggle sometimes to face the fears inside.

At the same time I feel the song is emotionally supporting me so ultimately it is an uplifting experience.

Most resonating song I have heard.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #464 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »
I don't really like the instrumental part.   Not that it isn't good but it sort of ruins the mood.   
 If it were a Yes song they would have had Jon Anderson sing a nice melody during that part.
My favorite part of the song is the last 3 minutes.   I wish DT would start a tradition of releasing
Instrumental versions of all of their future albums and some of them from the past .

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #465 on: March 10, 2015, 04:01:52 AM »
The ending of IT is for me the only time I've ever cried on not just DT concert but any concert and I cried out of happiness and I cried a lot. It was incredible. It happened when the the crowd was waving with hands together with JLB during JP's solo and on the screen was suddenly shown a little boy in the crowd on shoulders of his father.

He was waving as well and his face was so beautiful, clean and innocent like the most children has but combined with the message of the song it was a perfect fit and connected with me very very deeply and I totally exploded with joy and happiness. It was one of the most emotional moment in my life yet. This is the reason why IT and whole DT12 will always have a very very special place in my heart.

Thanks for sharing Mirzek :tup

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2015, 05:59:03 PM »
I really love this song like their other epics, SDOIT and SFaM,

The orchestra interlude is great,

And another thing Eren Basbug made some arrangement for that and he conducted as well Considering a few years ago nobody knew who he was he was just a Music student in Turkey who happens to be a fan of Dream Theater who made a school pressentation of the SDOIT suite and Octavarium.

And now he arranged and conducted a piece that could be considered one of the greatest songs from one the greatest bands ever. He really did follow his dreams and made it.

You will Never know
You will Never know.
And she listens openly

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #467 on: March 14, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »
And now he arranged and conducted a piece that could be considered one of the greatest songs from one the greatest bands ever. He really did follow his dreams and made it.

I think that orchestral section is one of the best things they've ever done, so huge credit to Eren there, but the song? Not even close to one of their greatest imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #468 on: March 14, 2015, 08:51:03 AM »

Very nice thanks for sharing, I think they really intend to capture the emotion on this one these guys ( DT ) knows what they are really doing the song it self may not be that deep and the musicality may not be the most technical but they certainly found a chemistry that will touch a listener maybe because its easy to relate to and the melodies more predictable and yet emotional its really hard to explain.

And she listens openly

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #469 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:52 AM »
I also love how they presented the whole song live in Baston in Breaking the fourth Wall.!!

They played first Songs from the Album Awake like Space Die Vest, The Mirror and Scared which I think are one of the darker DT albums and songs then They play Illumination theory which is somewhat a resolution to the "darkness" if you will
And she listens openly

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #470 on: May 01, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
No tears on this one, but it's the best off the album.  LOVE IT!
Signature

Offline FLEEBS

« Reply #471 on: May 01, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
I don't remember at what point it happened for me, but I definitely cried at beautiful ending of Illumination Theory. My mother passed away just before this album was released, and once while listening to Surrender, Trust & Passion, I just lost it. I love that section of the song. It's so powerful and emotional, and it's my favorite part of the entire piece.
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #472 on: May 01, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »
Count me as one of the people who gets a little emotional during the orchestral section. It's such a beautiful piece of music and the whole song is really one of their best.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #473 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
Its still put me to tears even to this day when I listen to IT.. specially V. "Surrender, Trust & Passion"

"Until you struggle in the dark you will never know you are alive"
And she listens openly

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #474 on: May 24, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
IT is one of the best five songs DT's ever made.

How many artists are producing their best work almost 30 years into their careers?

To borrow a line from hack movie critics, IT is an astounding achievement.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #475 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
I was listening to Illumination Theory today as I was driving home. It was a picture-esque evening if there ever was one. It was a truly special moment. I'll have to post pictures later, but it was something like this.

Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #476 on: June 04, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
Listened to this song today and there are some amazing moments in this entire track. I think my favorite part will always be the first solo by JP.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline A Drop of Water

« Reply #477 on: June 07, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »
Myung's bass sounds incredible in this song. I really like his playing during the neo-classical section before the song goes into the new age section.

Offline emtee

« Reply #478 on: April 15, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »
Bump.

I just had my soul crushed by the Breaking The Fourth Wall version of IT. My god what a song. I can't even find the right words
to describe how moving this song is. It is everything I love about DT. Killer riffs, flawless execution and beautiful melodies.
On this beautiful sunny day, moving into spring, this song really hit me.

Wow

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #479 on: April 15, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #480 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
Absolutely. I think it's easily their best "epic", and a perfect album closer. While a song has never made me cry, the last section of IT is the closest I've ever gotten. Plus there's the easter egg (I still wish this got played live somehow).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #481 on: April 18, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
Bump.

I just had my soul crushed by the Breaking The Fourth Wall version of IT. My god what a song. I can't even find the right words
to describe how moving this song is. It is everything I love about DT. Killer riffs, flawless execution and beautiful melodies.

Wow

To this day, the structure of this song still throws me, and I have a difficult time really being engaged by the middle section.  But that said, I love just about everything else about the song.  I was just thinking about it over the weekend too.  Need to listen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #482 on: April 18, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »
Absolutely. I think it's easily their best "epic", and a perfect album closer. While a song has never made me cry, the last section of IT is the closest I've ever gotten. Plus there's the easter egg (I still wish this got played live somehow).

I've been close to tears from it as well. It's like my emotions are amplified and can't fit inside me anymore so they want to leak out my eyes. LOL

What a damn good song.

Offline emtee

« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
Bump.

Wow

To this day, the structure of this song still throws me, and I have a difficult time really being engaged by the middle section.  But that said, I love just about everything else about the song.  I was just thinking about it over the weekend too.  Need to listen.

I've always been a sucker for that kind of contrast. Floyd's Dogs and Yes's Awaken are perfect examples. I can understand how
people might not get/feel that section but man oh man it moves me big time. Just so beautiful and peaceful.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2016, 05:29:05 AM »
Bump.

Wow

Welcome to the illumination theory emotional fans club,

That last section is so moving it is so damn inspiring hell children at school should sing it!!!
And she listens openly

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #485 on: November 13, 2016, 05:38:15 AM »

I've been close to tears from it as well. It's like my emotions are amplified and can't fit inside me anymore so they want to leak out my eyes. LOL

What a damn good song.

It seems the last section of IT really gets a lot of listeners I guess because it is something a lot of people can related too!!

It is because everyhuman being has faced strugles,pain and the fear of death, so the Melody and the lyrics of that final part really hits home.

And it really fits as the Finale of the Song!! so it brings some sort of closure!!

I think the message is never give up no matter how difficult your situation no matter how hopeless once.

Never give up because you will never know!!!!

Just like Eren Busbu he is just a college guy in Turkey who loves Prog Metal and Dream Theater he just pursued his career in Music and made that school project a symphony Cover of Six degrees of Inner turbulence and Ovtavarium.

Then one day Jordan Rudess saw the Video in Youtube,

Then years later he conducts the Orchestra at Beyond the fourth wall, that Orchestral Middle section is like a tribute to him!!

Just look at it this way he just started as fan of DT, how many times that has happened that a big fan of a band then gets hired to arrange and conduct the orchestra for the band he always loved!!

It is just awesome.

And she listens openly

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #486 on: December 27, 2023, 07:04:46 AM »
 Illumination Theory - James LaBrie Awake era AI Voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xthfC8p2bdw
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #487 on: December 27, 2023, 07:15:36 AM »
James LaBrie Awake era AI Voice

Oh please don't do this... **blocks ears**

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: December 27, 2023, 07:18:48 AM »
Yeah, at this point, I'm steering clear of all AI voice videos on youtube. They're all over the place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: December 27, 2023, 07:34:17 AM »
James' voice on Awake was fine. But all this does is make DT's poorest epic worse.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)