Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 97480 times)

Offline maximumrocker

Re: Illumination Theory...
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 03:53:34 PM »
Sorry to bother with this, but it just made me cry, I'm serious, i cant tell what happened, i was just listening to it for the first time, and suddenly, tears, melody, instrumentation, sections, lyrics, mix, everything, JL, JP, JMX, MM, JR thanks for such a glorious moment in my life.

Did something similar happen to you guys?

YES!!! I'm so glad that you created this thread. This has actually happened to me twice now upon listening to it. It always happens at the part where James is singing:

To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain
When you surrender to the light
You can face the darkest days

I don't know if it's the lyrics, the instrumentation, or a combination of both, but I just start sobbing uncontrollably.

Passion glows within your heart
Like a furnace burning bright
Until you struggle through the dark
You’ll never know the joy in life

When this part comes up I start to tear up....

I just imagine youre telling someone that they can be so good at something, but they just dont choose to do so. And because they can't take that path you have to say good bye forever. 

:'(

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 06:46:38 PM »
A few manly tears were she'd.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »
Many beautiful pieces of music have moved me to tears. Seeing The Spirit Carries On during the Luna Park theater showing definitely did. The middle part of Illumination Theory definitely gives me chills.

Offline mooshinator

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
What brings tear to your eyes is such a personal experience.  Some songs that people find incredibly moving just make me want to punch people.  And other songs that aren't moving to most people make me want to cry.  My emotional DT experience is The Spirit Carries On; I loved DT in the early 90s but didn't like FiF so I stopped listening until somewhere around 2007-2008, not sure exactly when.  At that point, I was listening to random music on Pandora and The Spirit Carries On came on.  I was blown away that DT recovered from FiF and instantly became a fan again.  And then very shortly after I found that a good friend of mine's wife, sweethearts since high school, died suddenly in her late 20s from a freak incidence of pneumonia.  And at that point I had just discovered TSCO and was listening to it over and over, and all of a sudden that song just took on a new meaning for me...  Ever since, that song brings tears to my eyes; good lord, I'm dripping tears now.

Music is amazing.  IT doesn't make *me* cry, but it's a beautiful song and it has that sort of potential.  No doubt that some folks right now are developing their own personal attachment to it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 04:41:43 AM »
Rebels for their freedom
A tyrant for the prize
Cowards for salvation
Money, love, and faith

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Just heard this for the first time!!!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2013, 05:36:56 AM »
What brings tear to your eyes is such a personal experience.  Some songs that people find incredibly moving just make me want to punch people.  And other songs that aren't moving to most people make me want to cry.  My emotional DT experience is The Spirit Carries On; I loved DT in the early 90s but didn't like FiF so I stopped listening until somewhere around 2007-2008, not sure exactly when.  At that point, I was listening to random music on Pandora and The Spirit Carries On came on.  I was blown away that DT recovered from FiF and instantly became a fan again.  And then very shortly after I found that a good friend of mine's wife, sweethearts since high school, died suddenly in her late 20s from a freak incidence of pneumonia.  And at that point I had just discovered TSCO and was listening to it over and over, and all of a sudden that song just took on a new meaning for me...  Ever since, that song brings tears to my eyes; good lord, I'm dripping tears now.

Music is amazing.  IT doesn't make *me* cry, but it's a beautiful song and it has that sort of potential.  No doubt that some folks right now are developing their own personal attachment to it.

Wow
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
Sorry to bother with this, but it just made me cry, I'm serious, i cant tell what happened, i was just listening to it for the first time, and suddenly, tears, melody, instrumentation, sections, lyrics, mix, everything, JL, JP, JMX, MM, JR thanks for such a glorious moment in my life.

Did something similar happen to you guys?

The last section of the song almost did that to me. It's a great climax, with great melody, lyrics and instrumentation.

Offline adamack

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »

Im currently going through the worst heartache i can imagine, and Illumination Theory is so helpful to me. Its so therapeutic, and I can relate to all the lyrics. "The bridges we built to connect, the distance that makes us forget. Hate dividing us - love reminding us of our shared humanity" especially. like, i fucking feel the anger in those words and relate so well. Surrender Trust and Passion is still actually too hard too listen to right now, and truth be told I end up cutting the song short right there. I get a sick feeling in my stomach when the instrumental section ends and trasintions into the final part. I know that if i continue listening any further i'll end up going on a feels trip that i really dont want to go on right now. But the few times i did listen to that part, it was a healing experience, a painful healing experience, if that makes sense. In fact, this whole album is really a very therapeutic experience for me and every song seems to give me a little bit more encouragement every day to get through the struggle.

I'm so sorry for your troublesome times. I can absolutely relate, as there have been hundreds of times when I wanted to listen to a song that I loved so much, but I just couldn't because of the emotional baggage and pain that was attached with it. And whenever I did have the courage to listen, I would get that sick, nauseous feeling in my gut.

You're right about this sensation having the capacity to be a healing experience. I believe that it is unhealthy to suppress these emotions all of the time, and sometimes you just need to let them run wild despite the pain.

"The Luckiest" by Ben Folds is a song that I love, but to this day it is extremely difficult for me to listen to. However, a couple times a year, I revisit it and just let the pain breathe.

I really hate to sound cliche, especially in trying to comfort someone going through difficult times, but time is absolutely the best remedy for pain, and surely you will begin to heal. And you will be stronger at the end of it all. I always thought that when people said this, they were just BS'ing me. But you really will gain strength as you deal with whatever has been causing you so much pain.

I hope this helps, even just a tiny bit.

Offline keys76

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
I just read a great interview with John & James in dutch magazine called Aardschok. The interviewer googled Illumination Theory and came with this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminationism

Check  Augustine's left hand!  :omg:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
:panicattack:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
I just read a great interview with John & James in dutch magazine called Aardschok. The interviewer googled Illumination Theory and came with this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminationism

Check  Augustine's left hand!  :omg:

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Mind blown.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »
Why is that surprising? Christian iconography is pretty much dripping with flaming hearts  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
Why is that surprising? Christian iconography is pretty much dripping with flaming hearts  :lol

The world is full of 5s and 8s too but we don't let that get in the way of a good  :omg:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

The world is full of 5s and 8s too but we don't let that get in the way of a good  :omg:

Speaking of which, yesterday I saw an old license plate (the ones with just progressive numbers) reading CA (my city) - 586666. The Octavarium Of The Beast.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
If I get a vanity license plate, it will have 8VM somewhere in it.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »

I could easily fit ProgSnob.   :laugh:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »

You could do...

8VM DT or DT 8VM

OR...

8VARIUM (most vanity plates allow 7 characters)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
This song feels ... I'm not sure. It doesn't feel like a "DT epic" but it feels exactly like a "DT epic" .... I'm not sure if I absolutely love the song or just like it a lot.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
IT starts out as a pretty cool song, but when it hits the instrumental orchestra section and from that point forward that's when it turns into a true epic.

Excellent song overall though.  :tup

Offline JRuivo

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
Is it just me, or the first notes of Illumination Theory sound like ABBA's Dancing Queen?   :lol :lol :lol

Offline JonesyAZ

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
On first listen, late at night...with headphones....when the orchestral section started up after the meditative soundscape prior to it, I was brought to tears.  The first time this has happened with a new DT song since SDOIT.

Lovely tune!
Sometimes I feel like I’m a super model.

But then I realize that I possess none of their qualities. Plus I have no mutant powers.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
The riffs in this song are absolutely insane.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
It's a very special song. Really connects. It's up there with DT's best and yeah, during the middle section it can really tug
on the heart strings.

I feel sorry for the people that can't connect with it like many of us can.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
..... and it seems to come together more with every listen.  What a fantastic song.

This!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
The riffs in this song are absolutely insane.

This album is full of " F--- Yeah ! " moments.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
Just finished my first listen - need a few more to really get it I think.  Absolutely one of the killer tracks of their recent albums.

However, what's with the last couple minutes?  Either the silence is too long, or I'm missing something...
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
Just finished my first listen - need a few more to really get it I think.  Absolutely one of the killer tracks of their recent albums.

However, what's with the last couple minutes?  Either the silence is too long, or I'm missing something...

It's supposed to be a surprise moment.

Illumination Theory finishes at 19 minutes or so. The final few mins are just an added little treat.

Offline volwrath

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
I really like IT except for the 30 secs of JR circus music that is a requirement nowadays at the 6:00 mark or so

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »
I really like IT except for the 30 secs of JR circus music that is a requirement nowadays at the 6:00 mark or so

Ugh, the "circus" criticism of DT has to be the most meaningless criticism of a band I ever hear, and I hear it so often, too.  DT has never made any music that sounds remotely like a circus.

In this case, the part you're describing is supposed to be reminiscent of baroque music.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »

Ugh, the "circus" criticism of DT has to be the most meaningless criticism of a band I ever hear, and I hear it so often, too.  DT has never made any music that sounds remotely like a circus.

In this case, the part you're describing is supposed to be reminiscent of baroque music.

<3 baroque

Offline volwrath

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

Apparantly I am not the only incorrect person out there:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rudess

Offline Lucien

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

That's just urbandictionary trolls

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member