Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 98015 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
Love the song.  Does anyone else hear Rush Caress of  Steel(not sure which song)in the  crazy bass part  after the  orchestra section of IT?  Also, I do not get the silent part near the end as well as the actual end  of the song .  I like how Octavarium ended much better.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Love the song.  Does anyone else hear Rush Caress of  Steel(not sure which song)in the  crazy bass part  after the  orchestra section of IT?  Also, I do not get the silent part near the end as well as the actual end  of the song .  I like how Octavarium ended much better.

FYI - the song ends around 19 minutes, then after a break of silence, an Easter Egg track appears. Those fans who kept up with the studio diary videos from a couple months ago saw the band's DT 12 Progress Chart, the bottom of the chart listed an "Easter Egg" that was only JR and JP, so that's what we got at the end of the album.

A lot of fans, myself included, feel like it's the End Credits of the "film" that is the album, with "False Awakening Suite" being the Opening Credits.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
Love the song.  Does anyone else hear Rush Caress of  Steel(not sure which song)in the  crazy bass part  after the  orchestra section of IT?

Actually, that bass and drum rhythm (the very beginning of it) reminds me a little of the section around 11:50 in Spock's Beard's The Great Nothing (the rhythmic breakdown before the "The boy has got potential, but he's never had commercial success..." part). 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
I've heard the song enough now to have an opinion on it. The first third is absolutely perfect. The second third is also great, although I'd be lying if I said the similarities to other orchestral pieces didn't bother me a touch. The final third has its moments, but it's the definitely the weakest section to me.

Overall, an incredible song. Amazing end to an amazing album!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2013, 12:11:42 AM »
I keep getting the riffs from this song stuck in my head, that is the 12/8 riff right after the thematic intro, and the 4/4 riff that kicks in just before the verse and continues lower during the verse. Best riffs on the entire album. :metal :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »
I've heard the song enough now to have an opinion on it. The first third is absolutely perfect. The second third is also great, although I'd be lying if I said the similarities to other orchestral pieces didn't bother me a touch. The final third has its moments, but it's the definitely the weakest section to me.

Overall, an incredible song. Amazing end to an amazing album!

At last!! :hefdaddy :tup

And I would add that the "screams" of JLB at the end sounds a bit ridiculous to me... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:58:04 AM by sylvinception »
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline skipreid

« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »
The string section in IT is so amazing. JR could clearly be a composer and write music for movies. When I hear that part, I picture
soldiers heading home from war after years of long and hard battles. They lost many friends, but they made it, and are reflecting upon
the entire experience. And then I picture other scenes of beautiful weddings and the couples having their first
dance to this piece. Those were my first two thoughts when I first heard the song.

Ahem...I think i need a beer a football game to watch ASAP.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
Love the song.  Does anyone else hear Rush Caress of  Steel(not sure which song)in the  crazy bass part  after the  orchestra section of IT?

Actually, that bass and drum rhythm (the very beginning of it) reminds me a little of the section around 11:50 in Spock's Beard's The Great Nothing (the rhythmic breakdown before the "The boy has got potential, but he's never had commercial success..." part).

MM also compared this part of the song to The Great Nothing in the interview accessible on the QR code page.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2013, 07:19:36 AM »
Great song. One of my favourite sections is the "noble and brave, lay down our lives for the cause..." from 12:04 to 12:18. I wish they repeated that musically again. Such an awesome section

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
I love how Illumination Theory will simply be known as IT. It. *That* song.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
I love how Illumination Theory will simply be known as IT. It. *That* song.

Agreed!!!

Listening to it now... DAT wah solo o.o

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
iv. The Pursuit of Truth

:metal

just amazing . . .

Offline dparrott

« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

Actually, I was thinking the music combined with the high notes had a 80's/90's metal sound to it.   :metal

Now the big question is will James be able to hit those notes night after night....

Doesn't make me cry, but makes me rock out, chill out, rock out, and smile at the end.  Love the break, a nice change for them.  This song should be edited for a single. 

I am crying with a raging hardon...

:lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2013, 03:31:24 AM »
Man I can already imagine the crowd's reactions to that main riff when it gets started. Instant live classic!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:36 AM »
I'm a sucker for a heavy song in swung 8ths - they're always so catchy.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »
Man I can already imagine the crowd's reactions to that main riff when it gets started. Instant live classic!  :metal

I'm already getting goosebumps thinking about it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
I can't wait to see them play this in February :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »

I'm already getting goosebumps thinking about it.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Estiui

« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
IT 6:00 - 6:56 is the best part of this new album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:19 PM »
I enjoy this entire song, even the orchestra section, which has grown on me quite a bit (such a beautiful melody  :heart  ).   I could have done with it concluding at 10:17, but it's all good.

I could swear that when the song comes back in at 11:10 it sounds like the volume has been lowered from what it was BEFORE the orchestra section. 

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks the Pursuit of Truth is the weakest part of the song? I think the whole JLB screaming thing sounded pretty forced.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2013, 02:19:10 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks the Pursuit of Truth is the weakest part of the song? I think the whole JLB screaming thing sounded pretty forced.

Yeah, probably ;)

I think the screams are perfectly executed, my favourite JLB moment on the album.

Offline liran95

« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »

I absolutly agree.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »

I can't say how much I love that part :metal :metal :metal

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »

Not being a huge fan of this album, that part is easily my favorite part of the whole record. And probably the coolest thing they've done in years. It might feel forced because it's super high an probably very tough to hit.

Offline Kayleigh

« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
Sorry to bother with this, but it just made me cry, I'm serious, i cant tell what happened, i was just listening to it for the first time, and suddenly, tears, melody, instrumentation, sections, lyrics, mix, everything, JL, JP, JMX, MM, JR thanks for such a glorious moment in my life.

Did something similar happen to you guys?

Yes.

The same thing happened to me while listening to ADTOE for the first time, on BAI and BTS: I cried my eyes out so I had a hunch something similar could happen this time (and thus snuck for a private first spin for preventing any crazy fan girl -accusations). And it did, as soon as the orchestral part started. And again after lyrics: "To really feel the joy in life..." etc.
It's a mixed feeling, partly caused by the music, the lyrics and the overall feel but also a sense of joy every time I first listen to a new DT album and get to the last track...it's almost as saying: "They're back! They did it again!".

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »
Is the love for the orchestra section unanimous? Because -as much as I would like to love it- it just feels a tad cheesy, at least at this point. It reminded me of some Disney movies of my childhood, not an association I'm keen to have with DT.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
Is the love for the orchestra section unanimous? Because -as much as I would like to love it- it just feels a tad cheesy, at least at this point. It reminded me of some Disney movies of my childhood, not an association I'm keen to have with DT.
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »
Okay, that's what I thought.  :lol I reckon it'll grow on me, some of my favorite DT tunes seemed cheesy on the first few listens. (Innocence Faded, the second half of SFAM...)

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
great song, one of their best in years. And some younger fans appreciates it too  ;)  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlK5QzgawU  :metal

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Okay, that's what I thought.  :lol I reckon it'll grow on me, some of my favorite DT tunes seemed cheesy on the first few listens. (Innocence Faded, the second half of SFAM...)

I understand what you mean about the string section, but it sounds beautiful to me but it could perfectly fit in (insert movie here). Innocence Faded was cheesy and lame in 1994, and it still cheesy and lame today. :D

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

I do not love the orchestra section as much as the majority.

The first part of the orchestra is completely unfitting to the song. Sounds like a classical piece from the baroque era of music. Not a big fan.

The second part, where the orchestra revisits the main theme of the song, is great! It fits in perfectly and is very emotional. So my opinion is kind of split, but I do think The Embracing Circle is the weakest part of the song. (<3 the ambience)
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »

I'd expect something Disney to sound more simply positive and happy, while IT's orchestral section feels much more mature and complex in the emotion it's getting across to me.
It doesn't remind me of Disney, it actually reminds me of older movies, like Vertigo or something.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
Part V. is just truly epic.  A fantastic finale.  Their best since the end of six degrees.  It is the perfect blend of vocals, orchestra, and then emotional guitar solo to the end.  The only thing that would make it better is if the story of the concept was more focused so that the finale had an emotional punch lyrically as well.  It does to a certain extent but what if there was a specific person suffering through out the song whose story we are drawn into, and then that finale starts with "To really feel the joy in life, You must suffer though the pain."  I think I would be in tears.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2013, 01:38:51 AM »
After repeated listens i m happy to say this song is starting to click for me :)
Even if the other songs are pretty bad IMO, this album is worth getting just for this song.
It's far from perfect, but its pretty damn good. I have a feeling this song is gonna stand the test of time, and be in heavy rotation in their live shows in the future!