Author Topic: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)  (Read 96890 times)

Offline Knguro

Re: Illumination Theory... (let's call it appreciation thread)
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »
The bass and drum after the strings section is just to much win to even explain.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »
To me, it feels like the happiness and sweet satisfatcion of the accomplished goal. Unearthly goal maybe? Because it's too beautiful to be something tied to the gravity. A glimpse into some kind of enlightment, or a brand new awareness of the soul.

Someone please send this sentence to the band. They need to read it.

Thank you Marco, I hope they do read sometimes through these threads. There's a tremendous appreciation going on and they should really be aware of this.

Offline Benedettosoxfan

« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »
Maybe the first song of the next album can begin with some continuation of the easter egg...
Wouldn't make much sense considering they usually like to open with a real energetic bang, but it's cool to think about.

Offline Billzo

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
I'd say that the strings section in this song makes it the fastest DT song to ever make me lose it.

Literally upon 2nd listen, tears were apparent. Now every time I listen to the dam thing they are streaming down my face.

The first half reminds me of a "Saving Private Ryan" esque movie score. And when the main song theme comes in in the 2nd half... my god.

Thank you DT.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
This album is so good! I can't pick a favorite song. Of all DTs catalogue, however, this song is by far the most epic. Not necessarily in length, but in the range of emotions it evokes. I mean, for me this song is like a friggin religious experience. :2metal:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Online The Letter M

Re: Illumination Theory...
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
This song is absolutely growing on me, it's incredible DT have come up with something like this.  After ADTOE, I was skeptical to see what they had left in them, but this song is absolutely legit and is an instant DT classic.  The last section gave me goosebumps listening in the car on the way to work this morning.  Well done DT.

Also, does anyone have any theories about the point of the easter egg?   Has any of the band members talked about it.  I like it and all, but I guess I'm just thinking, why?

Purely speculation, but to me, the easter egg music may serve two purposes, and will be the twin brother of False Awakening Suite. So just as FAS is meant to kickstart the theatrical nature of the album, and open the live setting, the easter egg music does the same thing at the other end. Meaning - 1. after a cinematic ride of an album, it acts to close out the album, as if some credits were rolling in a film; and 2. In a live setting, I think it might be played once the concert is over, and the people start filing out of the arena etc...

Just my 2 cents.. :)

That's what I thought too!! Just like FAS opens up the movie, the easter egg means it's over, and the credits are rolling :)

So...they're kind of like..."scenes"?

:neverusethis:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline N4Player

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
This has grown on me somewhat with repeated listens. I just wish the strings section and the breakdown before it were not there. They ruin the flow and sound generic. I would rather that section was based on the Easter Egg. The ending vocals also make me cringe as it sounds like JLB is starting to struggle. It definitely has great moments though. Just doesn't fit together well IMHO.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
*appreciates*

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »
This is in my top 5 "must see live" DT songs. I'm super curious how they will pull it off.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
Maybe the first song of the next album can begin with some continuation of the easter egg...

Definitely.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
I love that song, the vocal melody in the second verse is pretty killer.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »
Holy crap, this song gets better every time I hear it.  It is rivaling my favorites in the DT catalogue.  It's got everything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
The song's too short. The length diminishes some of my enjoyment. There's just not much actual song before the interlude. I don't like the pacing. Also, the song has terrible transitions. Still an amazing song.

Offline Zubb999

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
I absolutely loved the song.  I got chills so bad, like Octavarium type chills.  I told my buddy who is a fan of DT that Illumination Theory is like Octavarium, but better.

Tears did not fall, but the song moved me across the hall if that's what you're wondering.
"Digga diggA den.... Digga diggA ga-den-den...
Digga diggA den.... da GAAH..."
(repeat)
Illumination Theory

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »
The drum and bass groove after the string section is easily one of my favorite DT moments.  So unique to this album and it just sounds killer.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
Literally upon 2nd listen, tears were apparent. Now every time I listen to the dam thing they are streaming down my face.

Since you opened the door for such admissions I have to admit something similar happened to me at Surrender, Trust & Passion, the back vocals melody is what got to me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
I love the part around 14 minutes where JP plays those last few notes and you hear JM under it, then Jordan comes in with his solo and the guitar riff under it is the bad ass one from the beginning of the song. Just amazing.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »
The drum and bass groove after the string section is easily one of my favorite DT moments.  So unique to this album and it just sounds killer.

Is amazing.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
I absolutely loved the song.  I got chills so bad, like Octavarium type chills.  I told my buddy who is a fan of DT that Illumination Theory is like Octavarium, but better.

Both are great, and have amazing high points, but Octavarium works so much better as one song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:21 AM »

Both are great, and have amazing high points, but Octavarium works so much better as one song.

Octavarium just takes too long to get going for me. I have a hard time not losing interest in the first 10 minutes. It's an issue I have always had from day 1 with that song too, so it's not just because I'm listening to something fresh and new. i really enjoy 8V, but I actually really feel I enjoy IT more..

With IT, I don't have a problem with the transitioning of the song at all that many mention, and I actually love the pacing and length - particularly after repeated listens, and now it is more familiar. The embracing Circle flows perfectly from Live, Die, Kill for me (which is a brilliant and underrated section IMO), and I absolutely love the change up of the Pursuit of Truth. It's unexpected, and kicks you in the face, and I think is completely the intention. It's different, and to me, thats the true art of 'progressive'. Some incredible vocals in this section too. Then that ending - as good an ending to any DT song in my opinion. Love the solo and the combination of the rawness of James' vocals. Complete chills..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2013, 01:29:39 AM »

Octavarium just takes too long to get going for me. I have a hard time not losing interest in the first 10 minutes. It's an issue I have always had from day 1 with that song too, so it's not just because I'm listening to something fresh and new. i really enjoy 8V, but I actually really feel I enjoy IT more..

With IT, I don't have a problem with the transitioning of the song at all that many mention, and I actually love the pacing and length - particularly after repeated listens, and now it is more familiar. The embracing Circle flows perfectly from Live, Die, Kill for me (which is a brilliant and underrated section IMO), and I absolutely love the change up of the Pursuit of Truth. It's unexpected, and kicks you in the face, and I think is completely the intention. It's different, and to me, thats the true art of 'progressive'. Some incredible vocals in this section too. Then that ending - as good an ending to any DT song in my opinion. Love the solo and the combination of the rawness of James' vocals. Complete chills..

I can certainly understand why people love IT, because I love most of the song too, but it just doesn't *quite* get there for me. Almost every section is a highlight, and yet as a whole, it feels like much less than the sum of its parts to me, if that makes sense. There's not enough flow for it to work cohesively as one song, and the payoff doesn't work for me (I really don't think the ending is up to the standard of the rest of the song).

But as I said, I can certainly understand why people love the song. I love most of the pieces, and I want to love the song, but it just doesn't quite click for me as a whole. Maybe with time it will happen. It's not at all ruled out!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2013, 01:46:54 AM »

I can certainly understand why people love IT, because I love most of the song too, but it just doesn't *quite* get there for me. Almost every section is a highlight, and yet as a whole, it feels like much less than the sum of its parts to me, if that makes sense. There's not enough flow for it to work cohesively as one song, and the payoff doesn't work for me (I really don't think the ending is up to the standard of the rest of the song).

But as I said, I can certainly understand why people love the song. I love most of the pieces, and I want to love the song, but it just doesn't quite click for me as a whole. Maybe with time it will happen. It's not at all ruled out!

Excellent my friend, and certainly wouldn't be the first DT song to click totally down the track, if you find that happens.. It really shows the diversity of the DT fans, in how we like different sections and transitions of songs. Like, I for one think the easter egg music is perfectly placed, and i don't feel the great need to explore it any more, than its current status as the 'credits rolling' ending of the album. But many others would like to see it as it's own song. So it really is cool and enjoyable to see the diversity of opinions..  :tup

It must be said, that IT is a song that sounds AMAZING on the HD tracks and 5.1 mix versions too.. The entire album is obviously great in these formats, but for such a beast of a song, and with such a beautiful orchestral section - these mixes really add to the track, and is just brilliant!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2013, 02:02:27 AM »
I'm really considering getting the HDTracks, as it's a good mix, and it may help me appreciate the album, and this song more.

I've never loved so much of a song and yet not had it click as a whole, so I only see my opinion going up rather than down, so that's a start.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:15:30 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2013, 02:26:14 AM »
I'm really considering getting the HDTracks, as it's a good mix, and it may help me appreciate the album, and this song more.

I've never loved so much of a song and yet not had it click as a whole, so I only see my opinion going up rather than down, so that's a start.

Yea mate, well worth it. I figured for the amount of joy the band has brought me over the years, some extra $$ to get the albums with a great mix was well worth it (I actually grabbed ADTOE as well at the same time). In Australia, I had no issues just using paypal on the site. I found it immediately less loud, but then when you turn the volume up, you get a real crispness instead of any distortion, and it really helped me appreciate the album even more - and I was actually someone who was fine with the original mix. Kinda feels like blu ray compared to a DVD, but for the sound only if that makes sense..

Offline mezzaIX

« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2013, 04:03:33 AM »
I shed a few tears during the first listen of DT12. Can't recall which song or part it was though.  :facepalm:

However, nothing will ever compare to the situation I was in while listening to "Collapse The Light Into Earth" by Porcupine Tree.

I went out to visit my ex gf for the first time. I intended to stay 3 days, but we were having such a great time that I stayed a month. The day before I had to head back home I learned that we couldn't have a future unless I somehow became Pentecostal and gave my life to God.

She had so much faith that I could become a believer. I told her that I could promise her anything except for learning to believe.

We were driving down a country road past huge cornfields at around midnight the day before I had to go, and Collapse The Light Into Earth came on. We just drove and listened, and didn't say anything. We knew it was over. We were so in love, but religion kept us apart. To this day, it is extremely difficult to listen to that song.

Another one that kills me is "Heart Attack In a Layby" by PT as well.

Well, fuck.

Thanks for sharing that moment, man.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:48 AM »
Holy crap, this song gets better every time I hear it.  It is rivaling my favorites in the DT catalogue.  It's got everything.

Came here today to bascially post this.  It's amazing, and Surrender, Trust and Passion is one of DT's greatest moments, James is perfect here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:51 AM »
Absolutely amazing. I can´t imagine a dry eye in the audience when that ending comes up...thank you, DT.  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »
At 17:17 where James sings 'You'll never know that you're alive" is just absolutely incredible and then the same line into the climax is seriously a contendor for best DT moment, absolutely insane.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »
I basically shat in my pants when I heard James sing "mothers for their children". It's so strong I have no words describing it. I was sitting on a bus and I noticed myself having my mouth open wide, looking like I was gonna puke but I was more like going to choke from the emotion.

Oh well, always glad to amuse fellow travelers. :-)

and yeah, I was shedding tears. So in love

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
The ending of Octavarium made my eyes water a little the first time I heard it (and maybe on some occasions after) with how beautiful it is. I had a similar reaction the first time listening to a section of Breaking All Illusions.

There are definitely sections of Illumination Theory that have this effect.

Same for me.  I have to say, I think the first half of octavarium is ok, but the last half is great.  Bai hit me the very first listen. 

When I finished my first listen of IT I turned to my wife and told her the next listen I may need tissues.  So many emotions!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »
I had a listening party with a friend to hear the album for the first time. We would frequently make comments and observations throughout the album. When the "rebels for their freedom" section came in, we had to stop mid sentence because wed never heard JLB with that kind of power is years. It really brought a smile to my face. (It was similar to "everyone was interrupted by that note.) Currently I have this as my their favorite DT epic. We'll see how long that holds up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm having a bit of a hard time digesting this one.  There are a lot of things I REALLY like about it.  But as a song, it definitely has not yet clicked with me yet as a whole. 

The different parts seem very disjointed.  They may fall into place better once I have a better appreciation of the song as a whole, but the very disparate feeling parts make the song a very jarring experience right now.  Also, the sharp transitions and overabundance of odd meters in the first half of the song are tough to take in.  In context of the song, I get why it is structured that way.  As I understand it now, I believe the first half of the song is supposed to sound very disjointed and jarring (I know I used this adjective already, but I think it is the best description for the song as a whole), as it appears to try to musically reflect the chaos before illumination/enlightenment, whereas the more traditional meters and more smooth transitions in the latter part of the song reflect a more post-illumination/enlightenment feeling of harmony.  But although it is a cool concept and an interesting and creative way of executing that concept, I am still not sure it makes for an enjoyable or satisfying listening experience.  Still, again, it takes awhile for something this complex to click, so I'm giving this song the benefit of the doubt.  And, again, there are so many really good parts.  In particular, I LOVE the main riff in Live, Die, Kill.  Very reminiscent of the riff in The Eye (from SX's The Odyssey).   :metal  I also love the dissonant piano behind the riff after the first chorus of Live, Die, Kill.  Interestingly, that is also a very Symphony X sounding moment.  Hmm...  So many good moments overall.  I just am still waiting for that moment where the whole thing clicks.  Hasn't quite happened yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
The bass and drum after the strings section is just to much win to even explain.

I love the whole thing, but this gave me a very warm Cygnus X-1 moment.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »