Author Topic: Chat with the members of Dream Theater September 24, 2013! (WITH URL)  (Read 73555 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
THE URL TO THE LIVE CHAT IS : https://youtu.be/sx8cLlXnHpA

Do you have a burning question you have always wanted to ask the members of Dream Theater?  This is your chance!

We at www.dreamtheaterforums.org in conjunction with RoadRunner Records are pleased to host a live, online chat with Dream Theater Tuesday September 24, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. Eastern.  Here is how it will work:

Post your questions in this thread, or send them to bosk1 via private message on this forum.  Please submit no more than two questions per person.  We will vet the questions to eliminate (1) questions that are duplicative and (2) questions that are not appropriate.  Of course, the band will have final say as to which questions they answer.  Obviously, there will not be time for them to answer everything.  If we get overwhelmed with questions at the last minute, there is a good chance your questions may not be submitted to the band, so get your questions in early.

At 2:45 p.m. on September 24th, we will post a link to a YouTube channel where you will get to watch and listen to the band members answer your questions live via Google Hangouts On Air. The stream will go live at 3:00pm or shortly thereafter. For those who cannot make it online at that time, don’t worry—the video will remain up for you to watch at your leisure.

The reasons for this format are simple:  We wanted to try to provide a way for you to interact directly with the band, but needed to find a way to keep it orderly for both the fans and the band without several hundred people all screaming for the band’s attention at the same time. 

So ask yourself what you have always wanted to know, bring your best questions, and log in and chat with DT.  Oh, and don’t forget to pick up a copy of the new album.  See you on the 24th!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:29:54 PM by Weymolith »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Chat with the members of Dream Theater September 24, 2013!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
What are some of your favorite books?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:26:38 PM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
Have you considered writing another double album?

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »
Is the band aware that many fans criticise that sound quality of their recent albums? Do they intend to change something in the future (like to hire Jens Bogren)?

EDIT: If this question is asked, clarify that it isn't about subjective songwriting criticism but just about technical criticism regarding the mastering of their albums. This can be easily confused.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:19:01 PM by me7 »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:03 PM »
This question is directed specifically for JP:

Did you take a different approach at choosing guitar tunings for this album? I noticed that False Awakening has a low G and Illumination theory is a low A tuning which have rarely been heard before in DT's music. Besides those, a lot of seven-string seemed to have been used, whether in the heavy songs The Enemy Inside and Enigma Machine, but even the heartfelt The Bigger Picture has it, which seems to give it an extra level of depth to the song.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
And thus the harpist uncovered his string. Awesome :3

Looking forward to this, even though I won't be able to attend the chat as I will be graduating that very day :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
No more than two? Here's two: (and SPOILER ALERT I suppose)

What song(s) are you most looking forward to playing live?

How are you going to bring the strings section in Illumination Theory to a live environment?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »

Looking forward to this, even though I won't be able to attend the chat as I will be graduating that very day :D

Congrats!  Well, you can still submit questions and view the chat later.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »
Was it challenging to write songs with good melodic hooks and dynamics, while also achieving the heavy wall-of-sound feel that you wanted?

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
Would you give us some idea of what to expect on the evening with tour.  Orchestra, song line up, epics vs. shorter songs ?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »

Congrats!  Well, you can still submit questions and view the chat later.

Thanks bosk! I will think carefully about my question. I wanna give an important input and show we are not your average flock of fans :D
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
Would you give us some idea of what to expect on the evening with tour.

I would assume the answer is:  Chocolate cake with purchase of general admission ticket!  Upgrade to balcony for free glass of milk!  :panicattack:

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
1.  Why have the most recent DT albums fallen victim to the Loudness Wars and been mastered incredibly hot with little dynamics?

2.  What was each of your reactions after you were able to listen to your new album all the way through?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »
Very excited that this is going ahead! :caffeine:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Would you give us some idea of what to expect on the evening with tour.

I would assume the answer is:  Chocolate cake with purchase of general admission ticket!  Upgrade to balcony for free glass of milk!  :panicattack:

Instead of the usual picks and drum heads the band will be throwing chocolate cake at the audience at the endshow. Attenders are warned.
- Marco

Offline 425

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »
In the vein of what me7 posted and inspired by something I said in another thread:

How does the band deal with negative and at times harsh criticisms of their work, particularly on the Internet?

I'll post a second one if I think of a good one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 04:13:34 PM »
First off: Thanks Bosk! This is incredible. We appreciate you helping to make this happen!

What is everyone's favorite song on the album?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
In the vein of what me7 posted and inspired by something I said in another thread:

How does the band deal with negative and at times harsh criticisms of their work, particularly on the Internet?

I'll post a second one if I think of a good one.

You have to draw a line between "DT's work" and the work of the mixing and mastering engineers they/Roadrunner hire. I don't mean to criticise DT, but the way the recorded material is treated by other people after it leaves DT's hands.

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
This is going to be...  :squee:

1.  Are you ever going to release any more "official bootlegs" again?  Specifically, anything live from the Black Clouds tour and any "behind the scenes" stuff would be amazing, as would more footage of the drummer auditions!

2.  Can you please share with us either the most interesting or funniest thing that happened to you on the road?
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Very excited that this is going ahead! :caffeine:
Very excited that we can finally let the cat out of the bag!  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
I'm surprised the cat can still breathe.  He was in that bag a LONG time.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »
I'm surprised the cat can still breathe.  He was in that bag a LONG time.  :lol
:lol  Yes, that's true!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
Since (some of) the bandmembers might lurk in this thread in concordance with the upcoming I want to congratulate you on this new effort. I'm digging the new album a lot and I think you've unlocked a new level of musicianship and songwriting with this one. I pose the following questions:

1) When touring Europe would you consider one day playing a concert in one of the Baltic states? I will be crossing the Gulf of Finland to see your concert in Helsinki but nothing would please me more than seeing you one day in my home country Estonia (the northern one of the Baltics), which is slowly becoming more oriented to metal and progressive music with bands like X-Panda.

2) Do you find it likely that there will be more guest musicians and/or collaborations (Eren Basbug on this one) on future albums?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »
What TV shows do the band members currently follow/watch ? What are their favorite shows of past?

Thanks for doing this!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
Will there be a Making of DT 12 dvd release?

(not sure if the boxset has a 30 min feature on this)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
Very cool, thank you for setting up such a great opportunity. I'll come up with a couple questions shortly.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 04:41:44 PM »
HOLY CRAP AWESOME. DTF is simply bad ass.  :metal

1. To JP- Would you care to explain the line "Selfless are the righteous, burden me, lead me like a lamb to the slaughter" ? I would really like to know if my speculation is correct  :)

2. Would Mangini and Rudess start singing backup at DT shows? They both have great voices and sing on-pitch (Maybe JMX also has a great singing voice, but I've never heard it). I also remember hearing that Jordan has perfect pitch and of course Mangini is a master at music theory, it seems they'd be great at harmony.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
1: Is the "easter egg" ever going to be played live?
2: Is "Raw Dog" ever going to be played live?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
Question for JP: At what point in the songwriting process do you decide to use an alternate tuning? Has any song had a change of key signature to accommodate a certain tuning or vice versa?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »
Question for JP:  what progress have you made on your next solo album?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
2. Would Mangini and Rudess start singing backup at DT shows? They both have great voices and sing on-pitch (Maybe JMX also has a great singing voice, but I've never heard it). I also remember hearing that Jordan has perfect pitch and of course Mangini is a master at music theory, it seems they'd be great at harmony.
I can answer that for you: JR said he prefers to focus just on playing, and MM said he tried once for another band/gig/or maybe even class and that it wasn't good.

1. You probably don't know the setlists for the tour yet, but are there any songs that are "off limits" or highly improbable to be played at this tour? Specifically, I mean tracks that aren't released on studio albums, or songs with music by ex-members which you either haven't played in a while (Anna Lee) or ever (Space-Dye Vest).

2. Do you ever read DTF.org threads? :corn:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
1. You probably don't know the setlists for the tour yet, but are there any songs that are "off limits" or highly improbable to be played at this tour? Specifically, I mean tracks that aren't released on studio albums, or songs with music by ex-members which you either haven't played in a while (Anna Lee) or ever (Space-Dye Vest).

That's a really cool question.  I think they actually DO know the setlist by now, or at least have a pretty good idea.  But I'd also be interested in knowing now how they feel about certain songs. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
I have this daydream where Mangini is shouting out those follow up lines in The Shattered Fortress and it sounds like "https://vocaroo.com/i/s1bOSAdjo48V"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »

That's a really cool question.  I think they actually DO know the setlist by now, or at least have a pretty good idea.  But I'd also be interested in knowing now how they feel about certain songs. 
Just so you know, whenever you respond to something I wrote, this is my face:

(goes for several other users of the board, but I'm too shy to tell them all :lol)

Also, they might know the setlists? Quick someone ask about the setlist :neverusethis:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »
I can answer that for you: JR said he prefers to focus just on playing, and MM said he tried once for another band/gig/or maybe even class and that it wasn't good.

2. Do you ever read DTF.org threads? :corn:

You may want to think to another question, Mili. I just asked James through his twitter your same question and that's what he said:

"we definitely love the obscure and less played songs, but this time we are really focused on presenting this big assestment and undertaking that is our self titled album. this is why we decided that both our first and our second set will be entirely taken by our latest effort, that will be played twice. The encoreS, however, might be Constant Motion"

Of course,
if you needed this text to understand it's fake you really need a brain-check :-D
- Marco