314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 153586 times)

Offline EstyMaJ

Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »
I have to say that the string break in Illumination Theory has to be one of the greatest things DT have ever written. Goddamn is it gorgeous.
I really like that part, but I still think it sounds a little weird in the middle of the song. I feel like it would work great as an opening section. That's just a small complaint, I still think its beautiful.

I agree. I'm really sad that such a fantastic piece of music was put in such an unfitting context. I think it should've been its own track apart from IT (and so should the Easter Egg have been).

Ok what did i miss what is the easter egg everyone is talking about? besides that this is a instant classic for me

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
I have to say that the string break in Illumination Theory has to be one of the greatest things DT have ever written. Goddamn is it gorgeous.
I really like that part, but I still think it sounds a little weird in the middle of the song. I feel like it would work great as an opening section. That's just a small complaint, I still think its beautiful.

I agree. I'm really sad that such a fantastic piece of music was put in such an unfitting context. I think it should've been its own track apart from IT (and so should the Easter Egg have been).

Ok what did i miss what is the easter egg everyone is talking about? besides that this is a instant classic for me

The easter egg is the JR & JP outro after the silence break in Illumination Theory.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
Somewhere between meh and decent. On first listen it was quite disappointing, but it's grown on me a bit. I'd still consider it a lower ranked album along with SC/BCASL/ADTOE, but it has some stellar moments. But I don't see any of the songs ever being top 20s for me, same with ADTOE, and I don't see myself listening to it much.

I agree with this except for the part about ADTOE.  I honestly think that the songwriting is better on that album than on this one.  But, this is good.  Very good.  NOT as good as AWAKE, though, unfortunately. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
When I see DT on tour this spring, I cannot wait to look Petrucci directly in the eye as seriously as possible, shake his hand, and tell him that he just released possibly the greatest album of his career and one of the greatest albums in progressive metal history -- and that's coming from a 20-year fan who adores the Kevin Moore era.  This album is amazing. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »

Oh Snap I listened to the album like 10 times and kept going right back to the beggining LOL my own dam fault for missing the Egg lol !!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »
After one listen I felt "very strong". After 3 listens, I'm leaning more towards "instant classic".

All I can do is vote based on these early impressions though. I think it would be interesting to do this vote in a few months time once the album has settled in.

That sums up my feelings on it pretty accurately.  I really didn't think they had an album like this in them.  I've listened to the stream twice now, once while distracted at work, and the second time at home, with headphones.  I find it strong enough that I felt compelled to go ahead and purchase the deluxe box set - something I've never done with ANY Dream Theater album.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Myung is all over this album and actually audible.  :tup

The Production is pretty damned good too!  Yeah, it's a bit on the loud side, I'll admit that.  But I think this is a good example of Petrucci remembering the old saying:  "It's not how loud you make it, but rather how you make it loud."  (credit: Bob Katz)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
Overall I think it's good after 3 listens.  Surrender to Reason and The Bigger Picture both do absolutely nothing for me.  The drums sound disgustingly bad at times.  Behind the Veil is awesome.  Along for the Ride is probably my favorite track.

Illumination Theory is interesting.  The beginning up until the jungle noise part is decent.  Very BITS at times.  The jungle part is utterly useless.  And the orchestral section, while beautiful, serves no purpose whatsoever.  I can't believe that no one has brought up that there's about 3 minutes of a DT song where not a single member of DT is performing at all. 
That being said.....the drum/bass/high vocal part/instrumental section after it is EASILY the best part of the album for me, and the coolest thing they've done in years.  But then, the outro lead and vocal ruin it for me.  Preachy vocals and a meandering guitar lead.

Offline emtee

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »
^For me those long mellow interludes make me recall some of my favorite all time songs. Gates Of Delerium. Dogs. Awaken.
Interludes that take you someplace else and create a contrast within the song. It's probably a section that many people
will never connect with, but for those of us that do connect...it's pretty magical. Very emotional. 10/10

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:36 AM »
^For me those long mellow interludes make me recall some of my favorite all time songs. Gates Of Delerium. Dogs. Awaken.
Interludes that take you someplace else and create a contrast within the song. It's probably a section that many people
will never connect with, but for those of us that do connect...it's pretty magical. Very emotional. 10/10

Absolutely. It is very, very eclectic, and this is the kind of things that I ask from prog music and from DT. Also, the long SFX section is the perfect prelude to the melodic explosion of the orchestral arrangement. They have done something that is so memorable that moves me to tears at every listen. Thank you guys... this album is what I've been wanting from you for a decade or so. You made a man happy! (Well, I guess you made many!)

EDIT: AND THANK YOU EREEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What have you done man... what have you done...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:15:39 AM by The Stray Seed »

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
Ehh.....as far as the epics go, I'd say

6DOIT
ACOS
TCOT
ITPOE

8VM

IT

Offline jsem

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
After one listen: Meh.

Nothing about it invited me to revisit it at the moment, will do so eventually though.

Offline Pepe108

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
They need an external producer NOW. This could have been their best record since SDOIT and it is only better than SC, BC&SL and Octavarium because of the bad production. I'm not only speaking about the sound with the term "production", but also about the way ideas were directed, which is the biggest error of the album.

Also, I'd like to say that there are specially two records released this year by young bands that are, IMHO, so much better than this: Coal (Leprous) and The Mountain (Haken).

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
This album is an instant classic for me and the repeated listens I've had have only made me enjoy this album even more. Granted this album isn't as ambitious as something like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or groundbreaking like Images & Words, but this album takes elements of my personal favorite DT albums from the past and rolled them all into one, while also doing so in a way that sounds and feels new for them. It's like the band took an approach to their songwriting on this album in a manner similar to how Rush approached making Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures back in the early Eighties; compact and concise songs that are technically and mentally challenging.

Perhaps the best way I could put it is that this album is an instant classic as far as DT albums go. :biggrin:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
I'll also post some thoughts here, my main ones are in the spoiler thread on page 32:

This album signifies the arrival of Dream Theater 3.0 - it is Dream Theater being progressive in its original sense, that is DT have after integrating MM into the musical process reached a new level. The result is an album that is:

1) Cinematic in its feel, you really get the feeling of going on a journey or watching a film.
2) Mature and yet refreshed in its songwriting - there is no excessive fat, in fact some of the ideas could have been developed even further but DT was going in a specific and concise direction. Dream Theater tried writing an album like that with FII and 8VM, it didn't completely succeed, this time they have.
3) A cohesive band effort, whereas ADTOE was a 4,5 man band and some of the previous ones often neglected either James or JMX or both of them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
Yeah, I honestly don't see how it could be worse than freakin When Dream and Day Unite. I mean, no offense, but that album is a textbook example of a crappy debut album by a bunch of teenagers obsessed with Maiden and Queensryche.

That is actually pretty offensive. WDADU is just dated (sonically) but it is most certainly not what you said.
It's pretty close.  The influences are fairly obvious, and the songwriting isn't quite there yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
I guess "Decent". My real opinion would be "good" or "strong", but not "very strong". But that's not there so I just said decent.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
I don't understand everyone's complaint that the lyrics are "preachy"? :huh: I think they're generally just positive and uplifting. I don't think they have to be interpreted as overtly religious at all. In fact I think it's a bit of a stretch to interpret them like that, and I am religious.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »
^ People hear what they fear to hear.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2013, 09:47:48 AM »
After just one listen yesterday, I'll say 'Very strong'. After the releases of TEI and AFTR I was slightly worried, but the album pretty much blew all those feelings away instantly. It's far too early to call it an 'instant classic' though, but people apparently tend to like to think in such terms. I always think an album needs the time to grow on you. If it still sounds fresh and good after like, half a year, or even a decade, well, you might call it a 'classic'. But alas, the current line of thinking among humanity as a whole is in terms of 'epic' and 'amazing', but really, look from the outside in for a change - especially all of the 'hardcore' DT fans (who have likely never really delved far deeper into the amazing world of progressive metal music) - and you'll find there's many, many other bands that have released some amazing albums in the past couple of years. Yeah, DT12 left a 'very strong' impression, but I can't say much else just now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
Basically this. If you're offended by religious lyrics then you're more likely to interpret lyrics that way.

But I haven't been seeing much of it so I don't think it's a very big problem. I think these might be the most consistently good lyrics DT have put out to be honest.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »
So far I only listened once. Unfortunately... I'm sure that I'll be hearing it a lot!

I can tell you, honestly, I instantly became addicted to "The Enemy Inside". That was just a in-your-face kinda sound.

Honestly as far as "The False Awakening Suite" I can tell you that I was hoping to get another "Overture". Instead of that I was surprised by a very solid track containing a bit of what Dream Theater is now. Great track IMO.

Secondly the most metal sound - The Enemy Inside.

Number 3 - The Looking Glass, has a great melodic riff which drive us back into Awake/I&W vibe great melodies. Can't tell much now. Listened to it 2 times... Not enough times for me.

Number 4 - Enigma Machine - This song surprised me. I thought it would be something like "Stream of Consciousness" BUT instead we got a short song full of variations and great riffs. Didn't listen to it a lot yet. This would be the far most complex song to analyze. The bass solos were a bit disappointing for someone expecting something "Metropolis Pt1" kind of bass-thing. Only listened to it one time.

Number 5 - The Bigger Picture - This song is among the best in therms of melody. The song is very strong and solid. Only listened to  it once too. Gotta hear it better...

Number 6 - Behind the Veil - I didn't listen to it yet. I was listening but I was forced to stop to have dinner, so let's hope todays dinner is on a later hour, so I can a chance to listen...

Number 7 - Surrender to Reason - Very I&W IMO. Gotta hear it well though.

Number 8 - probably the best of the album, but I didn't listen to it from start to finish. I was interrupted (can you imagine how frustrating that is?). I heard the 5 first minutes and it brought me a a perception of how great the song. Epic strings, great riff, strong vocals, alternated tempos... This has it all to be a huge classic...

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
Basically this. If you're offended by religious lyrics then you're more likely to interpret lyrics that way.

But I haven't been seeing much of it so I don't think it's a very big problem. I think these might be the most consistently good lyrics DT have put out to be honest.

Great Point! And I believe you are the first I have seen to call this out.  Some great lyrical moments and nothing that makes you think hmmmm.....ok...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Polarbear

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2013, 09:56:25 AM »
I went with decent. After ADTOE my expectations went through the roof for this album, so far it has been a big disapointment. :'( The bigger picture is the shining light in the album in my opinion, INSTANT. CLASSIC.! Rest is just a bunch of mediocre songs sadly, even the Illumination theory wasnt nearly as good as i hoped. I seriously hope the album grows on me.

Offline Millais

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:48 AM »
Is anyone else hearing a slight, and I hate to use this term but, 'djenty' influence? I wonder if that time touring with Periphery might have added to that.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
Is anyone else hearing a slight, and I hate to use this term but, 'djenty' influence? I wonder if that time touring with Periphery might have added to that.

I just went back and forth between two threads; why the hell do you post the EXACT same thing twice? ??? I gave a reply in the other thread, if you're interested. I figure if you really want some discussion going, it's better to confine it to one thread instead of posting the same thing in two different places.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Polarbear

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
They need an external producer NOW.

They should seriously consider that one day! It could give them a whole new angle when making another record. :tup

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »

I don't agree with that.  I don't get offended by any lyrics, religious or not.  I just think the lyrics on a few of these songs stray into the "soapbox" category for me.  Not specifying Christianity or any other religion.  But the overall message on this album IMO is about having personal demons and internal struggles, and surrendering yourself to a higher power to help overcome them or "feel alive".  Case and point: "Out of the ashes I rise knowing that nothing is stronger than faith.  Finding hope in a hopeless life"

I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing.  I just think DT has always kind of been a little more vague with regards to things like religion (Blind Faith) or impartial to morality issues (The Great Debate).  A lot of the lyrics on this album just seem preachy to me, that's all.   

Offline Millais

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »

I just went back and forth between two threads; why the hell do you post the EXACT same thing twice? ??? I gave a reply in the other thread, if you're interested. I figure if you really want some discussion going, it's better to confine it to one thread instead of posting the same thing in two different places.

Woops. The comment wasn't posting in this thread so I tried the other one where it worked fine.

Offline champbassist

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline adastra

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
I haven't listened DT12 enough to say anything :3 Except that ADTOE is bland as shit compared to this.
Orchestral breakdown at IT is best thing DT has ever written. Thanks JR!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
After just one listen yesterday, I'll say 'Very strong'. After the releases of TEI and AFTR I was slightly worried, but the album pretty much blew all those feelings away instantly. It's far too early to call it an 'instant classic' though, but people apparently tend to like to think in such terms. I always think an album needs the time to grow on you. If it still sounds fresh and good after like, half a year, or even a decade, well, you might call it a 'classic'. But alas, the current line of thinking among humanity as a whole is in terms of 'epic' and 'amazing', but really, look from the outside in for a change - especially all of the 'hardcore' DT fans (who have likely never really delved far deeper into the amazing world of progressive metal music) - and you'll find there's many, many other bands that have released some amazing albums in the past couple of years. Yeah, DT12 left a 'very strong' impression, but I can't say much else just now.

If I went by that, pretty much most of the albums in my Top 10 would have no place being there. I don't see why it has to be half a year or even a decade of listening to decide such a thing..

I knew right away when listening to Kvelertak's self titled that I'd stumbled upon something incredibly special, along with Grimes, etc.

I get the same feeling with this album, and I don't need 30 spins to tell me that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:49:14 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
I have a feeling most people will love it, but I'm curious to see what everyone's initial thoughts are on the album. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed, but maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet. It just seems less memorable and interesting than previous releases. But there's still a long way to go before I'm completely acquainted with the album.

Disappointed unfortunately.  I am glad others like it and I wish I did too.  I like what they tried to do.  I have been wanted them to go back to the Awake or even Falling to Infinity formula for a while.  Catchy quality songs with great instrumental moments rather than the SC way of throwing in a long solo just for the sake of it.

I do like the album but for me it is one of Dream Theater's weakest efforts song wise.  (A below average DT album is still great compared to other music out there)

Song impressions

False AS - Reminds me of Overture form Six Degrees.  Fine as an intro piece.

The Enemy Inside - The Heavy Track (like The Glass Prison of Six Degrees) or The Root of All Evil from Octavarium.  Solid song but far from Dream Theater's best.

The Looking Glass - Up beat and reminds me of Don't Look Past Me from Cleaning out the Closet.  It is an OK song that ends abruptly and leaves a weird taste.  I actually like Don't Look Past Me better personally.

Enigma Machine - They play their instruments great on the song but it is not very catchy or memorable.   I wish they would stop doing instrumentals on albums honestly.  They have enough going on in their songs that they don't need to waste the album space unless the instrumental is simply amazing.    I will probably end up skipping this one.  Sounds like something they would throw in the middle of a song to needlessly stretch it out on something like the SC album.  Rather would have had a song here with vocals to make the album feel more complete.

The Bigger Picture - Best song on the album so far for me.  Nice melodic song with a lot going on.  I actually felt something in this song.  I love when JP can convey emotion through his guitar (like the soft section in Lines in the Sand)

Behind the Veil - Something is off for me.  I lose interest part way through the song.  I think I will like it better with more listens but as of now it is not memorable to me.  I feel like I should like it though.

Surrender to Reason - Another one that I think I will like better on repeated listens.  Still not clicking with me though.  Thought I would like it better after reading some of the comments.

Along for the Ride - 2nd best track on the album but I still like the ADTOEs ballads better.  This Is The Life, Far From Heaven, and Beneath The Surface are more heart felt and are more catchy to me.

IT - Think I will like it better after repeated listens but am disappointed.  The song feels like different songs spliced together and doesn't flow as well as epics like Octavarium and A Change of Seasons.  Something feels off about the flow.  I like some of Jame's vocal moments.  He did a great job singing on this one....the melody just doesn't click with me though.

Like I said.  I hope I like it a lot more after repeated listens but I think it is one of their weakest albums so far.

I realize that there is quality on the album but for me the songs didn't grab me.  Most just aren't catchy,  memorable, or pleasing to my ears.

Still a huge fan and will buy whatever they put out and I commend them for their attempt.  Glad others enjoy it.

As of now after 3 listens I would rank it next to the bottom in album rankings.  Hope this changes.

Images
Scenes
Awake
Falling
Six Degrees
Octavarium (had a few clunkers but had catchy and memorable songs on it with some great melodies)
ADTOE
Cleaning out the Closet (I count this as a release because it has great quality stuff on it)
A Change of Seasons (love the song....if it had more songs on it I would rate this EP higher)
Black Clouds
SC
ToT
DT (Self Titled)
WDADU (loved the actual songs but can't get past Charlie's voice)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:46:33 AM by Hanz Gruber »

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »
I don't understand everyone's complaint that the lyrics are "preachy"? :huh: I think they're generally just positive and uplifting. I don't think they have to be interpreted as overtly religious at all. In fact I think it's a bit of a stretch to interpret them like that, and I am religious.

Exactly.  I'd rather have positive  uplifting lyrics rather than lyrics about life sucking.  Anyway they write them in a way that they don't even have to be interpreted as religious. 

I am defending the lyrics even though this is one of my least favorite albums by them song wise.

It is refreshing to have some positives lyrics now that lyrics with angst and hatred have become so common place in rock/metal music.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
There is some Periphery-sounding parts in the second movement of IT. I like it. Fits the mood of that section perfectly.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
False Awakening Suite - A really good opener IMO. This one will work really well to open the concerts, with a cool screenplay.

The Enemy Inside - Since the first listen, I got addicted. Great riffing, great chorus, great song.

The Looking Glass - What a fantastic tune! I loved the atmosphere of this one. And also, I loved the 'Innocence Faded' vibe.

Enigma Machine - Well, I was expecting something different from that song. I was hoping that it was sound more like Ytsejam or even Dance Of Eternity, but it's more riff-driven and heavy...but I still like the song.

The Bigger Picture - With a really strong melody, this song is REALLY catchy. During the first listening, I imagined myself singing this one in a DT concert. IMO this is one of the most beatiful DT songs I've ever heard.

Behind The Veil - Well, I was expecting something differente from that song [2]. But not like I said about EM. I was expecting that this song would be a really straight forward metal track, and it is not. This song has heaviness, soul and is very dynamic. One of my favorite songs of this album.

Surrender To Reason - A classic DT track IMO. I really enjoyed the lyrics of this song...it's really meaningful and deep. And I love when the lyrics of a song makes you dive into the story. I was really looking forward to listen to this one...and I wasn't disappointed.

Along For The Ride - I wasn't expecting a song like that. When the songs starts, I was not the only one who reminded of Beneath The Surface. But this turns out to be a very different track IMO. Mangini really does a great work in this song...and I was really impressed with the bass tone in JR's solo. A beautiful song, that I can see myself singing along in a DT concert too.

Illumination Theory - What can I say about this song??? An amazing epic. I love the FII vibe that surrounds the starting riffs of this song...and I also can hear some Take The Time influence too. As the song flows, I really travel with the lyrics and the melody...it's AWESOME! And I gotta say that James really, really, really shines in IT. The 'stacatto' section that starts right after the orchestra breakdown...is one of the GREATEST things I heard from DT of all time. Really.

To me, this album is a classic. There are no weak songs...but also, all the songs sounds really inspired and strong.