314 (46.3%)
Decent
98 (14.5%)
Meh
41 (6%)
Disappointing
41 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 647

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on DT12?  (Read 153585 times)

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
What are your thoughts on DT12?
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
I have a feeling most people will love it, but I'm curious to see what everyone's initial thoughts are on the album. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed, but maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet. It just seems less memorable and interesting than previous releases. But there's still a long way to go before I'm completely acquainted with the album.

Offline dongringo

Re: What are your thoughts on DT12?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
Instant classic for me. The album I've been waiting for from them and finally got it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
Became my new favorite DT album after the second listen.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:04:13 PM »
I think I'm going to let this sink in and wait until the official release before reviewing, but my initial impressions are that this album is DT 2.0. I have never heard DT like THIS. I think this is right after Images for me in terms of greatness, and probably tied with ADToE for second place. I was floored playing through this album straight through.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:44 PM »
I really like it as of now. Not gonna jump to conclusions and call it the best ever, but damn it's really good.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
Good album, a grower.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
I have to say that the string break in Illumination Theory has to be one of the greatest things DT have ever written. Goddamn is it gorgeous.

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
Strong album, but still need to digest a few songs (such as enigma machine and illumination theory)
One thing that struck me instantly was that there is plenty of groove in this album.

The Looking Glass is fantastic, early favourite for me.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Illumination Theory is Dream Theater's own personal Close to the Edge. An absolute masterpiece of a prog epic. :metal :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
I voted decent. It'll probably grow on me though.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
I have to say that the string break in Illumination Theory has to be one of the greatest things DT have ever written. Goddamn is it gorgeous.
I really like that part, but I still think it sounds a little weird in the middle of the song. I feel like it would work great as an opening section. That's just a small complaint, I still think its beautiful.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »
I really like that part, but I still think it sounds a little weird in the middle of the song. I feel like it would work great as an opening section. That's just a small complaint, I still think its beautiful.

I agree. I'm really sad that such a fantastic piece of music was put in such an unfitting context. I think it should've been its own track apart from IT (and so should the Easter Egg have been).

Offline maximumrocker

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
Love the cinematic of it. The album definitely feels like it flies by due to the shorter songs. Great album cant wait to see it live!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »
I can honestly see where JP and the guys can feel like this album is the culmination of everything that has and does encompass everything "Dream Theater". There are bits and pieces of things that remind of every album, throughout their entire career, from WDADU and IAW all the way up to BC&SL and ADTOE. The writing, while varied and different between songs, is consistent in quality and craftsmanship. The performances are virtuoso without being over-bearing, with concise but strong song-writing to showcase each member's strengths and skills.

Granted, one might say this about ADTOE or any of their prior albums, but to say that you can say this about MANY of their albums is a testament to the band's growth together, their ability to learn, change, evolve and assimilate what makes them better with each passing album. They truly take what's best in themselves, be it recent or distant past, and reapply it with something new and fresh, as if to take an old car, slap some new parts in and around it, give it a new paint job, and set it on the road for all to see, hear and feel. And while it's not anything directly ripped-off from albums' past (as some might attribute to parts of ADTOE), it's definitely old DT in the sense of feel and sound and song-writing, not structure or direct compositional quoting.

Dream Theater has become the new benchmark for DT as a band, and perhaps, raising the bar for modern progressive rock/metal in general. Being one of the leading bands in the genre, many fans' ears (and eyes) are on them to see what they have coming out as every couple of years come and go, and with this, their self-titled 12th album, they have truly made a statement that they are pushing forward without really looking back, but learning, and RE-learning, how to create and craft fine music for their fans, and themselves, to enjoy.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
I've been a hardcore Dream Theater fan since Awake.  I'm as big of a fan as you can get.  I listen to them more than any other band, and I have DT posters in my bedroom and a decal on the back of my car.  I'm about to make a big statement right now, but I honestly think that in a few years, or even months, from now when we've had time to digest and reflect upon this album, it could be potentially looked back on by many people as one of the best albums the band has ever done -- right up there with I&W and Awake.  It will be the I&A or Awake of DT 2.0.  It's that good.

I also think "Along for the Ride" could potentially become a huge radio hit and the band's most popular song of all-time.  Like the "Silent Lucidity" of Dream Theater.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »
Very strong. I doubt it will get up there with the classics, but it's definitely an incredibly strong effort.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »
After one listen: Very Strong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »

This. There is so much to digest on that one listen, actually...it's impossible to digest that album in one listen. I wanted to just give it one spin then dive into it next week, but the thing that sticks out the most is that every member shines in this effort.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
Agreed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
A few listens in, it sounds pretty solid so far.  Still trying to wrap my head around some of the melodies. 

I will say this: this album as a whole sounds very mature. 

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »
Very strong album. Top 5, no doubt. It will need to stand the test of time to make it enter the "Classics" tier (I&W, SFAM, SDOIT).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline dongringo

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »

the thing that sticks out the most is that every member shines in this effort.

Totally. I expected the JP and MM show, but this album is the JP, MM, JM, JR, and JLB show. This is Dream Theater! You can't put a title on this.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:30 PM »
Somewhere between meh and decent. On first listen it was quite disappointing, but it's grown on me a bit. I'd still consider it a lower ranked album along with SC/BCASL/ADTOE, but it has some stellar moments. But I don't see any of the songs ever being top 20s for me, same with ADTOE, and I don't see myself listening to it much.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
After 3 listens:Instant Classic.

Seriously,after the 16 minute mark on Illumination Theory is the best thing DT has written since Finally Free's outro.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
Just decent. Nothing more. Has amazing tracks, but lots of forgettable ones.

Offline adamack

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
I think I'm going to let this sink in and wait until the official release before reviewing, but my initial impressions are that this album is DT 2.0. I have never heard DT like THIS. I think this is right after Images for me in terms of greatness, and probably tied with ADToE for second place. I was floored playing through this album straight through.

I was just thinking today how much I love ADToE. I think I may join you and put it in second as well...only difference being right after Scenes.

Cheers to good taste!

And to the thread topic, loving the new album. I wouldn't quite say that it's an instant classic, mainly because I believe many of these songs may need to grow on me/others. So possibly a classic waiting to happen.

There is only one very big negative to this album to me, and that is The Looking Glass. It is the first DT song that I strongly dislike since the songs I dislike on FIF. I even went back through the albums to confirm this. I do force myself to listen to it though, in case my tastes adapt. And also, I do understand why people like this song, and I fully respect that and am actually quite envious of those who love it.

Aside from that, the only other letdowns for me were FAS and EM. FAS is a minor letdown, because it's just basically an intro piece. Just sounds a bit Final Fantasy orchestra-y to me, and I was expecting something bigger, more emotional and more interesting.

EM is actually a pretty major letdown. I find the riffs really boring melodically, and absolutely nothing stands out. Also, the MM and JM "solos" that were spoken of are a joke.

The rest of the album is amazing!!! I've been listening to BTV prob more than any other song. If you know the story of the Ariel Castro kidnappings, the song may hold some more value to you lyrically, as that was one main inspiration for it.

TLG is wonderful, as is TBP.

And Illumination Theory is incredible. The only thing I wish is that some of the vocal melodies would have been better. The middle orchestral section is a top 3 highlight of the album for me. I don't care if it sounds like Disney, or whatever some people say...I think it's beautiful and incredibly emotional.

Someone had mentioned in another thread that IT didn't feel like a 20 minute song. I could not agree more. It feels like it's more like 13...more like the length of ANTR. I don't know why this phenomenon is so true to so many people. I guess it has to do with song arrangement.

Anyway, as of now I'd prob put this album under SFAM, ADToE, 6DoIT, and O8V (those aren't in order) for my fav. DT albums. It's probably tied with ToT for 5th, and has MUCH time to grow.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
I think Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are both better and more sonically interesting albums than DT12 at this point.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »
Illumination Theory is Dream Theater's own personal Close to the Edge. An absolute masterpiece of a prog epic. :metal :hefdaddy

The middle part does remind me of I Get Up, I Get Down...  :D
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline N4Player

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
I think Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are both better and more sonically interesting albums than DT12 at this point.

I agree. I find the thematic and pop sounding elements and wall of consistent sound in DT 12 exhausting. Definitely feels like a movie soundtrack that has musical movements as opposed to songs for the most part. TEI and BTV stand out for me as does Petrucci. Numerous listens today and those little seeds that get planted and have you keep coming back for more are missing for me. Amazing musicianship though. For now DT 12 is near the bottom of the pile for me and can only go up from there if it starts to resonate with me more. I'm curious as to whether or not the contrast of the new songs with their earlier stuff will make it more enjoyable live. Definitely the most disappointing new release for me as a newer fan (since TOT). They can't please everyone. They're just too diverse for us all to agree and that is a blessing IMO.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »
Illumination Theory is completely sick. Honestly I didn't think they still had it in them to write these kind of songs.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 11:15:59 PM »
I'm holding off until I have the album but I am curious. Would you all say The Enemy Inside is one of the weaker tracks? That's the only one I've heard and I couldn't get into it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »
I would say it's one of the weaker tracks for sure. Still haven't really digested the other songs yet because Illumination Theory just blew me away and it's the only thing I'm listening to right now.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »
I'm holding off until I have the album but I am curious. Would you all say The Enemy Inside is one of the weaker tracks? That's the only one I've heard and I couldn't get into it.

It's totally different than anything else on the album yet it totally fits on the album. Hope that helps.  :)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 11:52:35 PM »
After a couple of listens: totally disappointing. Worst DT album IMO.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »
Between "Very strong" and "Instant classic". I still don't really like BTV or STR, but hey, two misses isn't so bad.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges