Author Topic: FS: Acoustic guitar that belonged to John Petrucci  (Read 4087 times)

Offline MtjG

FS: Acoustic guitar that belonged to John Petrucci
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:56:20 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/321198023312

This guitar was owned, used by and bought directly from John Petrucci of Dream Theater. He toured with it on Images & Words and Awake tours and it can be seen in Another Day video.

https://youtu.be/LYtiDCXLAcQ

It has been my pride and joy since 1998, but I have to let it go. I would prefer if it went to another fan than a collector.

Thanks.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: FS: Acoustic guitar that belonged to John Petrucci
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:09:02 AM »
What's the story there, why do you own it (just curious)...

Offline MtjG

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
In 98' John was about to be endorsed by Ernie Ball and he put up some of his Ibanez collection for sale on his website. I suppose because of the time difference I was one of the first ones to respond to it and managed to reserve the only acoustic for sale. There were some great custom guitars on that list, including his famous seven strings and his 'Live in Tokyo' guitars, they all sold quickly. His wife Rena replied to mail and I arranged the payment with her and John was kind enough to bring the guitar over a couple of months later when he had a guitar clinic here in Ljubljana. A dream come true really, he really is an awesome person. I wish I could hold on to it, it's a great instrument with a lot of sentimental value from times when music was the most important thing in my life, but family priorities and life hurdles take precedent I guess.

Thanks,
Matej
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:16:01 AM by MtjG »

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »
John didn't endorse ernie ball until 2000. He was still using Ibanez in 99 and still had some as backups in 2000.  Even SFAM was recorded with the Ibanez guitar.  Just saying.

Offline MtjG

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »
It is my assumption that that was the reason for the sale of a dozen or so of his Ibanez guitars, but of course I could be wrong.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »
Does the guitar have anything that proves that it's actually been a JP guitar?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »

It can spontaneously play every song up to Falling Into Infinity if kindly requested to. :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MtjG

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
I enclosed the pictures of John handing me the guitar over.. asking for a coa never crossed my mind  ;)

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
I hope whoever ends up purchasing it takes great care of it, it's a piece of history!

Dumb question, but what's going on with the frets? (I know very little about guitars) the colored thingys in the middle.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
I understand that you personally didn't bother getting a CoA since you probably thought you would hang on to it forever, it's just that unfortunately that will limit the actual worth of the guitar. There are literally thousands of guitars that are signed by JP in the world (I see at least 5-10 at each concert that are getting their guitar signed), and I'm in no way saying you are lying but as a collectors item it's unfortunately "just" a signed guitar. I mean, I'd love to buy that guitar as I'm looking for an acoustic guitar anyways, and I used to love the old Ibanez acoustic my father had (which looks quite similar to yours).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »
I remember that sale on JP's website, although I can't remember the exact date but it was about at least 10 years go. He put out his JPM's and if IIRC, there was a JPM model that was not the color of the 4 JPMs available (white, picasso, pastel, and camouflage). I just couldn't afford it at that time LOL. It was about the time the first print of  An Evening with JP and JR was released (2000) since the website with the guitars on sale had a similar scheme and was handled by Sound Mind Music.

Offline MtjG

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
I don't know what the proper way of getting a CoA is, but this guitar was never meant for resale. Time elapsed from the purchase should be proof of that. Getting to meet John, let alone owning one of his guitar was incredible and rewarding experience enough for me. And I don't say it lightly when I say that times have been tough for me and I am looking for any way I can to find funds. In a way it is a sacrifice, but I do not play guitar much anymore and it deserves a home where it will be played, not just cherished.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
I tried doing a little research to help prove the history of this guitar, basically trying to "screen match" it.

The guitar that Petrucci is playing/holding in the pics on the eBay page is definitely the same guitar up for sale, so at the very least, Petrucci has played and signed this guitar.

Unfortunately, the quality of the Another Day music video makes it impossible for me to say one way or another whether it's the same guitar. It's seen briefly, and it's washed out in light. So that's a bust.

So I tried matching it to the old Another Day acoustic video of just JLB/JP, which is the same make of guitar, although I'm not sure if he only had one of them, or a few. The quality on that is quite poor too, although there are close up moments where I can see details, and to me it does not appear to be that same guitar. I'm not even sure if that's relevant to the discussion, and that's just my opinion, not to be considered proof.

I hope this doesn't come across as a witchhunt MtjG, as it's a nice guitar, and I would love to be able to confirm this as real, as this is possibly a great piece of DT history! :tup At the very least, it's a nice acoustic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MtjG

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »
BlobVanDam, I really appreciate the effort. To be perfectly honest, John must have owned a couple of these (I can't imagine touring the world with just one).

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
I didn't mean it as trying to doubt the veracity of the story, only as a way to judge the value. I mean, as it's priced right now it seems to be good value anyhow, but i wouldn't be paying - say- 2000 bucks for a guitar that's not provable to be a collectors item...

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
I remember the guitar sale.  I found the archive site from when he was selling them, but it doesn't show them.  It just has the guitars for sale link on his homepage: https://web.archive.org/web/20001002212727/https://www.johnpetrucci.com/

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
Isn't the picture of JP handing it over to OP enough to confirm that this is, in fact, the real deal?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Sent you a message on eBay.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »
Isn't the picture of JP handing it over to OP enough to confirm that this is, in fact, the real deal?
Could just have been the OP's guitar that he had signed or something.
I'm not saying that I don't believe it's authentic, I'm just saying that's why people are concerned about evidence.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline adastra

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:03 PM »
That's one fine looking guitar!  :azn:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
Dumb question, but what's going on with the frets? (I know very little about guitars) the colored thingys in the middle.

Those are just decorative inlays and have no effect on the guitar other than aesthetics. Basically, they're a better version of the plain white dots you see on most guitars.

It can spontaneously play every song up to Falling Into Infinity if kindly requested to. :lol

:lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline axis_musicman

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
anybody knows the name of the model of the acoustic ibanez used by petrucci? and was it usa made or japanese?
thx

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
So what happened with this now-dead listing? Did Aythesryche grab it outside of eBay?