Author Topic: Elton John  (Read 1382 times)

Offline adastra

Elton John
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:38 AM »
Sir Elton Hercules John CBE (born Reginald Kenneth Dwight on 25 March 1947) is an English rock singer-songwriter, composer, pianist and occasional actor. He has worked with lyricist Bernie Taupin as his songwriter partner since 1967; they have collaborated on more than 30 albums to date.

In his five-decade career John has sold more than 250 million records, making him one of the most successful artists of all time.[/]

One of my favourite Artist of all time! Elton John!
I started listening to his music at very young age. Mostly the ballads (Candle In The Wind, Can You Feel The Love Tonight etc.).

It was much later, when I finally decided to listen more of his earlier albums (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic..., Tumbleweed Connection etc.)
There are so many great rock songs! 

He is going to release new album in september called "The Diving Board".
I hope it is going to have cool rock elements!

Here is the new single, Home Again;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-7moQKd9M

So what do you guys think of Elton John ?
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Elton John
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »
Brillant musician, I saw him live and he was just an awesome performer. His Made In England album made my Top 50 album list.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
Perhaps the greatest male solo artist the UK has produced. I bought a "best of" album of his last year, and I absolutely love it! His cover of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds is (dare I say it) better than the original (one reason being that it's nearly twice as long; always a plus in my book). Circle of Life is my favourite movie song ever. Always gives me goosebumps, that one.

Offline adastra

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »
Brillant musician, I saw him live and he was just an awesome performer. His Made In England album made my Top 50 album list.

I saw Elton John live couple of years ago at finnish Pori Jazz-festival
Here are couple of vids I filmed  from the gig! It's actually pretty good quality

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiZel5I7rM

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjlWEqBwBtY
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
Love Elton

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
I can't even imagine my music collection without Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. Love, love, love those two albums.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Great musician. He has many classic songs, my favourite song of his is Daniel.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 07:11:49 AM »
So Elton John is embarking on 3 year, 300 date final tour. He's an artist who is on my bucket list to see so this is apparently my last chance. Going to try and get tickets this morning for the Omaha show.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
So Elton John is embarking on 3 year, 300 date final tour. He's an artist who is on my bucket list to see so this is apparently my last chance. Going to try and get tickets this morning for the Omaha show.

I've seen him twice.  Don't know what  his voice is like now, but both shows were EPIC.  I mean, REALLY good.    "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" was worth the price of the ticket alone.

"High Flying Bird" is one of my  favorite songs of all time, ever.   

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
He announces his retirement / final tour days after Slayer did. Maybe they should do a joint tour and play a couple of songs together in the encore  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 07:42:03 AM »
Saw this announcement, would love to catch a show on the final tour, but I never really got into Elton besides knowing his more popular songs.  I've always thought he had some good tunes, but never really got an album and gave him a good listen.  We'll see about ticket prices and if I can get myself to a show, there's a few dates local to me but I'm going to guess this will be an expensive and hard to get ticket.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
If you're thinking of getting into him, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (the album) or "Don't Shoot Me...".   

If you only know the hits, you'll be fine live; he always pulls out a chestnut or two, but in a 2 and a half hour show, you'll know 80% of the material, no doubt. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 08:51:27 AM »
His show 2 years ago, was amazing. Opening with Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding was the best, it was a really rocking show too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
I have to confess to only really being familiar with what I have heard on the radio through the decades.  He was never an artist I felt compelled to try to get into.  But I always liked what I heard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
Slayer, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd.... not all the same style of music, but certainly this year is becoming an end of era in music.  Although I guess some of these tours may last beyond this year, but for the US this seems to be the end this year.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »
I was driving a lot over the holidays, so I decided to just put Elton John and Billy Joel on (you know, "I want piano music!"). I must say though, Elton really didn't do it for me after a few songs, especially when compared to Billy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
I was driving a lot over the holidays, so I decided to just put Elton John and Billy Joel on (you know, "I want piano music!"). I must say though, Elton really didn't do it for me after a few songs, especially when compared to Billy.

Well, they're not at all the same, they really aren't.   Yeah, each has their epic - Elton: FFAF/LLB, Billy: Scene's... - each has their "personal" song - Elton: Someone Saved..., Billy: Piano Man - etc. but Elton is coming from a more English, glammy blues background, and Billy comes from a more British Invasion/Classical background.  I like both, but I connect more with Billy.   There's no "Solar Prestige A Gammon" in the Joel catalogue.   :)

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Slayer, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd.... not all the same style of music, but certainly this year is becoming an end of era in music.  Although I guess some of these tours may last beyond this year, but for the US this seems to be the end this year.

I was thinking that exact same thing.  You might also include Rush, even if it didn't become official until a week ago when Alex Lifeson pretty much said they were done.  Neil Diamond also called it quits due to health issues. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:05:21 AM by CrimsonE »
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 11:35:14 AM »
I never really ever occurred to me there might be a relevant context to seeing Slayer, Elton John, and Lynyrd Skynyrd mentioned in the same sentence.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
I never really ever occurred to me there might be a relevant context to seeing Slayer, Elton John, and Lynyrd Skynyrd mentioned in the same sentence.

Yea, not at all really related as bands, but all fairly well known for their genres and all this week made the same announcement.  Just feels a bit odd.  I'm not even really crazy about any of these three bands, but I would love to catch them all on their respective ending tours.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
Hot take here maybe... I always thought Elton's brilliant songwriting was hampered by poor lyrics and vocal melodies. Which I know goes against the grain since he and Bernie Taupin are considered the peanut butter and jelly of song and lyric writing.

In 1971, journalist Penny Valentine wrote that "Bernie Taupin's lyrics were to become as important as Elton [John] himself, proved to have a mercurial brilliance. Not just in their atmospheric qualities and descriptive powers, but in the way he handled words to form them into straightforward poems that were easy to relate to."

C'mon now... the dude isn't Shakespeare.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »

Do it! I saw him from the side of the stage while in university and it was one of the best shows I've been to.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Hot take here maybe... I always thought Elton's brilliant songwriting was hampered by poor lyrics and vocal melodies. Which I know goes against the grain since he and Bernie Taupin are considered the peanut butter and jelly of song and lyric writing.

In 1971, journalist Penny Valentine wrote that "Bernie Taupin's lyrics were to become as important as Elton [John] himself, proved to have a mercurial brilliance. Not just in their atmospheric qualities and descriptive powers, but in the way he handled words to form them into straightforward poems that were easy to relate to."

C'mon now... the dude isn't Shakespeare.

No, but he has some moments that are transcendent.   

He also has "We Built This City", though.   :)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 07:32:47 AM »
Got my tickets! Hopefully he stays healthy through the tour.