Which Camp Do You Fall Into?

Try Everything
12 (16.7%)
Try Nothing
14 (19.4%)
Mystery Third Option !
46 (63.9%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Which Camp Do You Fall Into?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Which Camp Do You Fall Into?
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »
a. You only live once so i'm gonna try everything. get tatts, smoke, take drugs, get drunk etc etc.

b. you only live once so i'm gonna take care of my body & I wanna be as healthy as possible and remember as much as I can.

This isn't meant to be preachy. Just curious to see how many people fit into each camp.

Or Maybe There is a third way ? If so - enlighten me ;D

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which Camp Do You Fall Into?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:26:45 PM »
Third option: I do what I want. I'm taking care of my body, but not enough to really avoid things I want to do. At the same time, I'm not going to try everything just because. I just....do what I want.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »
I'm firmly in the b. ) camp.

I don't like alcohol and have always been against smoking.

Plus getting tatts or piercings just dont interest me for whatever reason.

Plus i've had a lot of issues with my mind in the last decade. Horrific nightmares, panic attacks, insomnia, migraines etc etc....

It's just made me want to be as "in the moment" and have as much clarity as I can.

Not knowing what's going on really scares me.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
I wouldn't try heroin, but I have tried two-ply toilet paper. I guess I fall into option three.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
Haha ! if loo roll is *too* luxuriant - it just clogs up the toilet :lol

There has got to be a happy medium !!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
Try most things at least once. You get perspective by exposing yourself to different things.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
I'll try anything I feel like trying. I have no desire to do drugs, get tattoos or do anything with a high likelihood of getting maimed or killed.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »
I plan on sliding into the grave, screaming "Holy shit, what a ride!!!!!"

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
I have no need to take drugs. I experienced incredible things in my dreams as a kid that give me enough satisfactory to feel I'm not really missing out on any trips or "highs" that drugs could provide for me.

When you've compressed the entirety of existence into a small cube and held it in the palm of your hand or when you've rode on top of the flames of a shooting star, the offer of drugs doesn't seem all that enticing to you. 

That being said, I might be open to letting myself get drunk once or twice in the years to come. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
Third option. New experiences and thrills are great, but not without limits.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
b. you only live once so i'm gonna take care of my body & I wanna be as healthy as possible and remember as much as I can.

I don't 'try nothing', so I surely don't fall into group b. With that being said, I do 'take care of my body & wanna be as healthy as possible and remember as much as I can'.  And with that being said, I don't do those things because I firmly believe I'm only going to live once.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
I certainly had my fill of option 'a'. Took me until I was 33 to realize my self destructive behavior/drinking was not me just trying to have fun and live life but was a desperate attempt to numb the memory of being a victim of sexual abuse as a child. So I stopped the 'bad' habits....really got into running and taking care of my body and I'll be honest, life has been way more enjoyable for me.

No coincidence that revelation and execution of addressing it all coincided with focusing on my Spirituality, getting married to a wonderful woman and having some kiddos. It hasn't all been peaches and cream but I can honestly say when I look around I don't believe there's grass any greener than mine. I'd hope that feeling for everyone.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
Mystery option, since I don't think either of these options are realistic to life, or that neatly related.

I don't feel any compulsion to try something just for the sake of it (I've never tried alcohol/drugs/cigarettes/etc and have no plan to), but I'm not all for taking care of myself by any stretch either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
Mystery option, since I don't think either of these options are realistic to life, or that neatly related.

I don't feel any compulsion to try something just for the sake of it (I've never tried alcohol/drugs/cigarettes/etc and have no plan to), but I'm not all for taking care of myself by any stretch either.

How'd that happen? Was it your parents influence...something you witnessed and made it a goal to 'not' drink etc? I'm just curious because when I started drinking at 14 it was just what our group of buddies were doing. It's what we 'thought' we should be doing.
  Like I mentioned, as I got more into drinking I was....unbeknownst to me at the time...self medicating my mind to cover some trauma. But I've always been curious when you and others here mention you've never tried the stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »

How'd that happen? Was it your parents influence...something you witnessed and made it a goal to 'not' drink etc? I'm just curious because when I started drinking at 14 it was just what our group of buddies were doing. It's what we 'thought' we should be doing.
  Like I mentioned, as I got more into drinking I was....unbeknownst to me at the time...self medicating my mind to cover some trauma. But I've always been curious when you and others here mention you've never tried the stuff.

There's been no reason other than making my own judgement based on its own merits. Why would I need a reason to not do something? For me I need a good reason to do something, not the other way around! I shouldn't need a specific bad experience as justification to avoid something potentially harmful to my body. I never had peer pressure encouraging me to do these things, so I never had any reason to start. It wasn't a big conscious decision to avoid it, or some big revelation, or moral choice or anything.

I don't mean to sound judgemental or defensive, it's just that question has just always bothered me, that the assumption is that everyone should drink or whatever. It's indifference, not negativity.
The rest of my family drinks, and they're responsible about it, so I've absolutely no bad experiences or issues there (or any issue with any of the other things listed), it's just not something I personally have a reason to want to try. If other people around me do it, no problem at all. :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
I have no need to take drugs. I experienced incredible things in my dreams as a kid that give me enough satisfactory to feel I'm not really missing out on any trips or "highs" that drugs could provide for me.

When you've compressed the entirety of existence into a small cube and held it in the palm of your hand or when you've rode on top of the flames of a shooting star, the offer of drugs doesn't seem all that enticing to you. 

That being said, I might be open to letting myself get drunk once or twice in the years to come. :lol

Are you sure your friends didn't slip you some LSD or something?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »

There's been no reason other than making my own judgement based on its own merits. Why would I need a reason to not do something? For me I need a good reason to do something, not the other way around! I shouldn't need a specific bad experience as justification to avoid something potentially harmful to my body. I never had peer pressure encouraging me to do these things, so I never had any reason to start. It wasn't a big conscious decision to avoid it, or some big revelation, or moral choice or anything.

I don't mean to sound judgemental or defensive, it's just that question has just always bothered me, that the assumption is that everyone should drink or whatever. It's indifference, not negativity.
The rest of my family drinks, and they're responsible about it, so I've absolutely no bad experiences or issues there (or any issue with any of the other things listed), it's just not something I personally have a reason to want to try. If other people around me do it, no problem at all. :tup

That assumption is out there I think. Like its a rite of passage or something. Heck, I was virtually encouraged by my mother to drink and she bought my alcohol for me all during High School. I used to think that was so cool but looking back I'm just like WTF!

It's kind of refreshing to hear your explanation actually.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
 :lol, good question Chino.

I'll try anything I feel like trying. I have no desire to do drugs, get tattoos or do anything with a high likelihood of getting maimed or killed.

I hope you're just lumping stuff together and not putting tattoos in the "dangerous" category  :lol

I plan on sliding into the grave, screaming "Holy shit, what a ride!!!!!"
:metal

For me it's a balancing act. I like to drink, take the occasional hallucinogen, eat foods that I enjoy, get inked up, dress up like a nun for kinky sex, and try all sorts of new things. I also believe this is my only opportunity at life, so I want to enjoy it and experience a lot.

Of course, I also don't want to be unhealthy, so I don't drink/take drugs in excess, I try to eat pretty well and stay active, and I don't engage in stuff that is terribly risky, aside from occasional spurts of cigarette smoking.

Alcohol and other substances in moderation are not necessarily unhealthy... in fact, the health benefits of reasonable quantities of wine and beer have been proven. There is also research, albeit limited, to show the benefits of many drugs. Also, consuming these substances does not mean you won't remember things. That's only certain drugs or using them in excess. Two beers? My memory's just fine! Seven, notsomuch.

So to me there is a huge difference between "YOLO BRAH I'M JUST GONNA PARTY AND GET SMASHED ALL THE TIME" and "I want to have many experiences and not deprive myself of things I might enjoy." You can do the latter without being stupid and unsafe.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
I went with try everything, but honestly that's an overly simplistic option. To me it's about doing what I find fun and enjoyable. I appreciate BVD's explanation, but to me enjoyment is a laudable goal in itself. I've had great times stone cold sober, and I've had great times trashed beyond acceptable norms. To me, it's not really about having to try things. It's about not being afraid to try things when good opportunities present themselves.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »
Excess in moderation, so to speak.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
I appreciate BVD's explanation, but to me enjoyment is a laudable goal in itself.

It sure is! You could make the same argument for something like junk food too, which could be considered part of the OP question, and I'm perfectly ok with that.
It's about the payoff of benefits vs disadvantages for the individual, which everyone will judge differently. For me drinking/drugs aren't worth it, for others it is. I wouldn't try to tell anyone else how to live their life, and I wouldn't let others tell me how to live mine.

But we're obviously very different people, so our respective idea of a good time would be very two very different things. :lol Each to their own.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
I appreciate BVD's explanation, but to me enjoyment is a laudable goal in itself.

It sure is! You could make the same argument for something like junk food too, which could be considered part of the OP question, and I'm perfectly ok with that.
It's about the payoff of benefits vs disadvantages for the individual, which everyone will judge differently. For me drinking/drugs aren't worth it, for others it is. I wouldn't try to tell anyone else how to live their life, and I wouldn't let others tell me how to live mine.

But we're obviously very different people, so our respective idea of a good time would be very two very different things. :lol Each to their own.
Well, I appear to have an advantage in that regard as I seem to be able to negate the negatives. I can quit or abstain at will, and decades of experience have taught me my limits quite nicely.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:04 AM »
Looks like option B describes me the best - I've never tried alcohol, cigarettes or drugs and I never will. It's not like my parents have been extremely conservative, but I just don't feel the need or appeal to get my head messed up, and the way I live is kind of unhealthy already, so I don't see any rational reason to make me turn into a ruin of a human being. Tattoos and piercings would also make me look even uglier than I am now :lol (no offense to those who have tattoos and piercings - they can look cool, but I don't think they would do my looks any justice)

As I said, my lifestyle isn't the healthiest in the world, so maybe B isn't 100% accurate for me, but I'm trying to survive for as long as I can in the current conditions :P "Try nothing" is a kind of extreme answer, because I do want to try different things in my life, but they just aren't substances, breaking the law, etc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:56 AM »
I voted the third option. I don't smoke or drink or do drugs. But I don't really take care of my body either, with exercise and stuff like that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 03:55:47 AM »
Kevin Moore.

third option. trying new things is sometimes fun, but i try not to do anything massively stupid.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:19 AM »
I voted the third option. I don't smoke or drink or do drugs. But I don't really take care of my body either, with exercise and stuff like that.

This, but I'm trying to get to b as soon as possible.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:17 AM »
I'm the same as Blob (  :omg: ). . I've just never felt the need to try getting drunk or high or cigarettes or whatever.

I've always felt that - if enough people are doing something - then there's really no reason for me to.

I apply this to other things too - like trends - i've *never* felt the need to wear skintight black jeans or vans/converse etc.

I suppose I like the fact that I am an individual and just following the crowd kinda diminishes that.

* I guess I didn't consider junk food in my original question. But I really only "treat" myself to a visit to the chippy about once a month so I don't see it having any real long-lasting damage. Plus I do a lot of walking - which helps to burn it off. :)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:24 AM »

Are you sure your friends didn't slip you some LSD or something?

:lol Re-read the first paragraph; those experiences happened in a couple of strange dreams I had as a kid. Dunno why I had 'em, but I did. :lol :tup But basically, the dreams alone were satisfying enough for me to not feel any real desire to take drugs. I suppose I could try 'em at some point if I ever wanted to, but I'm content as-is. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »
That reminds me of something Terry Gilliam said. He said people always assumed he was on drugs as his animations for Monty Python were always so bizarre and he said he's never taken drugs.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »
That reminds me of something Terry Gilliam said. He said people always assumed he was on drugs as his animations for Monty Python were always so bizarre and he said he's never taken drugs.

I'm amazed that Frank Zappa never did drugs. I'm not a fan of his music, but it seems quite bizarre and eccentric.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 06:55:57 AM »
C

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 06:59:11 AM »
A friend and I were watching a gig by Manic Street Preachers on DVD and in the pre-concert interview - the bassist said that he'd never taken drugs..

My friend goes " Bullshit - you're in a *band* - of COURSE you've taken drugs " - like it was a requirement.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 07:08:22 AM »

I'm amazed that Frank Zappa never did drugs. I'm not a fan of his music, but it seems quite bizarre and eccentric.

I've thought the same about Ted Nugent.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »
@ the people who don't drink: Don't you go to bars with friends, or BBQs? I'm not suggesting you get smashed, but do you drink soda the whole night?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »
Yes, I know people who do that. Soda is worse for you than beer, though  :lol

I suppose I like the fact that I am an individual and just following the crowd kinda diminishes that.

Okay, I'm going to have to challenge this a bit. I don't think choosing to drink or do drugs makes you less of an individual. Do you listen to music? Watch TV and/or movies? Go to the park? TONS of people do these things; they're just activities that don't make someone a conformist if they participate in them. Of course if someone just drinks just because his/her friends do, that's one thing. Personally, I do it because I enjoy it. I love the taste of beer, and I love how many awesome beers and varieties of beer there are. Having an interest doesn't mean I'm following any crowd.
Similarly, I tried mushrooms because I was REALLY curious to try them, not because I felt pressured to do what my friends were doing. Ya dig?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.