Author Topic: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Final Results!  (Read 27641 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Participants Locked & Loaded
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
No sure I'll send you some tracks. :) PM me your email, or dropbox if you have it. :) Along with any themes or so. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
PM sent.  The round themes are in the OP.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
Thanks!! :) email sent

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
Sent!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
Ok, looks like Ħ is through.  Let's get this thing going.

Ding, ding, ding.  Round 1 is underway.

Please send youtube or grooveshark if you can find your songs there.  If you need to send me an email with an attachment, let me know.  If all else fails and the only option is Spotify, I will need to sign up for it.

The theme:

Send your best song you think I will like.

Scorp, Onno, and LieLow, I still have the songs you sent for round one (I have not listened to them yet).  And I have Kari's in an email.  The rest of you can go ahead and send as well.

Winger would be better!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »
Sent!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
Senturrito.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »
That was the worst movie I ever saw.:lol Literally walked out of the theatre. I dunno if you know it, or just happened to get that image when looking for something to post.  Terrible movie. Worst I've ever seen.

My submission(when I send it) will be just the opposite.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »
I posted via PM. I don't have your e-mail though. Can you tell me via PM?

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »
This will be epic.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
That was the worst movie I ever saw.:lol Literally walked out of the theatre. I dunno if you know it, or just happened to get that image when looking for something to post.  Terrible movie. Worst I've ever seen.

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

I have an irrational love for that movie.  Maybe you should just sit out this round.  ;)
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Round 1 Started!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
Seriously!?!?!  When the Koreans started handing over ALL the medals to the Americans for what??  Shits and giggles?  Seriously, I don't remember anything about that movie other than mentioning to my buddy that 'if they ALL hand over their medals, I'm leaving'.  Ok, I can understand the top dog handing it over, since he lost and the American didn't kill him.  Maybe the dude that lost to Eric Roberts... but the first three whipped the American's asses!  Why the fuck did they hand over their medals??  Dumbass ending.

Oh, and I'll be sending shortly.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:30 PM »
They are following their leader's gesture of respect to Tommy!

Ok, I think everyone is in for round 1 except Elite.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »

also, they recognize the fact that Tommy's kill shot would have given the Americans enough points to win the match.  Because he withheld the killing blow, the Koreans won.  I guess handing over their medals was the honorable thing to do in their eyes.
Winger would be better!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:34 AM »

Ok, I think everyone is in for round 1 except Elite.

Oops! Didn't see this one had finally started. Best of the best, you say? Sending shortly!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »
This will be epic.

And I sent the best song. NANANANANANA
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
This will be epic.

guess I can scratch Ice Age off my list of possibilities!

Offline Onno

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
This will be epic.

Shut up Batman!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
:batomnom:

Where are teh resultz!?!?

:corn

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
hey man, slow your roll.  Elite just sent his song this morning and I am at work all day.  I won't get to listen to his until tonight most likely.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Just razzin ya.  No rush... seriously.  Take the right amount of time to get the listens in that you need to make your judgments.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »
No rush... seriously.

NUGGETZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Round 1 Results
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 10:57:06 PM »
Round 1 Results

Rank #9, 1 point: jingle.boy - Evergrey - Trilogy of the Damned - I promise, this is not about your comments concerning Best of the Best!  I appreciate you going out on a limb with this one, but I get the feeling I would have liked this more if I already knew the band/was a fan of theirs.  I'm not emotionally invested in the vocalist or the band, so there was never really anything for me to hold on to.  Here are my exact notes as I was listening: "ok, waiting for something to happen here - the vocals at the beginning are not my favorite.  Then we flow into another serene piano-driven section and more of the same type of vocals.  Still waiting for something to happen.  Ok, now we are into the third section that reminds me of more of the same."  I really wanted to like it, since this is a band I've heard a lot about on the forums but never checked out.  I kept waiting for some huge guitar riff or something to break through, something, anything, but ultimately nothing.  I have faith that you are going to make a strong comeback in forthcoming rounds.

Rank #8, 2 points: Scorpion - Adagio - Dominate - Well, this is certainly some dark symphonic stuff.  Very theatrical.  Nice powerful song, and good contrast from some of the others I've received this round.  I like the clean vocals layered with the low growls, kind of reminds me of "Wolf" from Iced Earth.  Although I'm not a fan of that type of blackish growly vocals when they are by themselves.  But the instrumental section does have some redeeming qualities, however.  Unfortunately I don't hear a lot that would make me want to keep coming back to it for many listens.  The chorus repeats multiple times and gets a bit stale for me.

Rank #7, 3 points: Dark Castle - Kvelertak - Liktorn - Intense intro, wasn't quite expecting that as I hit play.  Really dig that early instrumental section, picking up some early-Rush vibes.  Unfortunately these screaming vocals are the undoing for me.  If I were to dig further into this band, I would have to put them in the Between the Buried and Me section where I listen for the instrumental music and tolerate the vocals.  If this song were an instrumental or had different vocals, it might have won the round.

Rank #6, 4 points: kári - 65daysofstatic - Radio Protector - This song edged out the previous one by the thinnest of margins.  Really nice instrumental with some cool crescendos of intensity.  Kind of reminds me of an instrumental Anathema.  However there is just not quite enough going for the song to move it ahead of some of the others.

Rank #5, 5 points: Lolzeez - Return to Forever - Duel of the Jester & the Tyrant - So yes, I have heard of Return To Forever, but the problem is that each time I have tried to listen to them it has just never grabbed me for some reason, even though I adore the work of their individual members.  Luckily, this is slightly better than I remember.  Maybe my tastes have changed somewhat, I don't know.  All of Di Meola's solos are awesome, naturally.  But I still don't think the band quite reaches the highs I've experienced with Elegant Gypsy or some of my Elektric Band live recordings.  Something awesome will inevitably be followed up with something quirky or weird and I lose interest.

Rank #4, 6 points: Onno - Branford Marsalis Quartet - The Return of the Jitney Man - Nice classical jazz/post-bop number, and whoever the pianist is, he is quite a talent.  His nearly 2 minute long solo starting around the 3:30 mark is a beauty and is really the centerpiece of the song.  About the only thing missing for me was a strong central theme that brings the entire song together - Branford and the pianist play around with that little dancing, trill-like bit early and reprise at the end, but it doesn't quite hit my sweet spot.

Rank #3, 7 points: MoraWintersoul - Enochian Theory - This Aching Isolation - Cool atmospheric/industrial opening, and I like the build up/suspense through the opening and first verse, nice use of strings in the background.  I also like how the "industrial" sound effects have a presence throughout the song.  Very emotional vocals, reminds me of Peter Gabriel in spots.  Never quite has that moment where I'm blown away, but overall it was a strong song.

Rank #2, 8 points: LieLowTheWantedMan - Gentle Giant - In A Glass House - Ok, that opening grabbed me.  This reminds a bit of cross between King Crimson and Dixie Dregs.  On the Dregs side it must be the violin and some of the keyboard sounds - also some of the guitar production has a Dregs vibe.  Seriously liking this one, although the vocals are just slightly quirky to be off-putting to me at times.  Strong entry.

Rank #1, 9 points: Elite - Shadow Gallery - Destination Unknown - Was hoping to get some Shadow Gallery since I've heard so much about them here but never listened to them.  Nice opening with piano and vocal, somewhat similar to the Evergrey song, but there is much more of a direction here.  This song takes you on a really nice journey.  Very strong soaring vocals, although I understand the vocalist passed away?  If so that's a shame, he was very talented.  So this song had some really WOW moments both vocally and instrumentally, plus the aforementioned journey it takes you on puts this at the top of the class for this round.

Thanks for the musical journey that round, folks.  Can't wait for the upcoming rounds.  To those that didn't quite finish where you had hoped, don't lose hope!  And to those that came out on top this round, you better bring your "A" games again!

Ranking after Round 1

Elite - 9
LieLowTheWantedMan - 8
MoraWintersoul - 7
Onno - 6
Lolzeez - 5
kári - 4
Dark Castle - 3
Scorpion - 2
jingle.boy - 1
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »
newly banned bands:

Shadow Gallery
Gentle Giant
Enochian Theory
Branford Marsalis Quartet
Return To Forever

the rest are ok to have more submissions this roulette, but this is at your own risk since they were in the bottom half of my ranking this round.
Winger would be better!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »
Surprised you hadn't heard SG before, hope you check the rest of their stuff out. Must listen music for any prog fan.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »
yeah, they just never hit my radar prior to me finding DTF.  For progressive metally type stuff, I was all about Rush, DT, SymX, Opeth and Porcupine Tree - almost exclusively.  And then just never got around to trying them once I heard about them.  Was very interested after reading about them in both Elite's and DoC's top 50 lists.
Winger would be better!

Offline Onno

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:53 AM »
Glad you liked the song  :)
Sent for round 2.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:53:20 AM by Onno »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2013, 04:59:12 AM »
Damn... you know what, you make a great point that you aren't invested into the band.  Poor song selection on my part to try an introduce you to.  Oh well, I knew it was a bit of a risk.  Well, got quite the hole to dig myself out of.

Time to rock your fuckin socks off.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2013, 05:05:43 AM »
I managed to plan all my rounds until the end, considering I have a very narrow choice of bands that you haven't heard and that everyone else won't send you :biggrin: Glad you liked ET, and sent!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
Cool! :)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »
entries have started to trickle in for Round 2.  As a reminder, this is the guitar round.  Send me a song that has a particularly strong guitar performance.  Interpret that as you will.

What will take the round?  A face melting solo?  A tasteful classical passage?  A metal onslaught?  Or maybe an uber-technical latin number?
Winger would be better!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »
This will be epic.

Oh boy, do I like quoting myself here. Glad you liked it!

I'll think of something to send tomorrow! :)
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Round 2 Underway
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
Sent!
Squ

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Big Hath's Roulette The 1st - Round 2 Underway
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
let's see, I think I have everyone's entries except Lolzeez and LieLow.  Please send when you get the chance.
Winger would be better!