Author Topic: The Enemy Inside vs. Bridges in the Sky  (Read 4972 times)

Offline LTE3

The Enemy Inside vs. Bridges in the Sky
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
Not really a vs. conversation more of the songs are too similar in many ways. I feel that TEI is like a sped up version of an abridged Bridges in the Sky. At least when John's starts playing on Bridges the similarities the the TEI beginning is surprising similar just more slowly played. Also The James section of when he sings "Blackness Awakens" in Bridges is very close to the section of TEI that starts out "I'm a burden I'm a Travesty"
I love BITS and what a great opener for the show it was, but I have voiced my complaints about TEI and it's lack of originality. Just wondering if anyone else here it.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Enemy Inside vs. Bridges in the Sky
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
I'm not sure I would compare these two.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
I'm not sure I would compare these two.

Amen
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
The intro riffs are kind of similar, but other than that, no.

Offline userx

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »
Not really a vs. conversation more of the songs are too similar in many ways. I feel that TEI is like a sped up version of an abridged Bridges in the Sky. At least when John's starts playing on Bridges the similarities the the TEI beginning is surprising similar just more slowly played. Also The James section of when he sings "Blackness Awakens" in Bridges is very close to the section of TEI that starts out "I'm a burden I'm a Travesty"
I love BITS and what a great opener for the show it was, but I have voiced my complaints about TEI and it's lack of originality. Just wondering if anyone else here it.

YEP. 1st thought that came to mind on 1st listen was BITS. Disappointed by the lack of originality in DT lately. I mean, for smn who gives so much attention to music to go ahead and make a song like TEI wit a riff that is so underwhelming (typical of bands that do not know how to make great riffs so they speed everything up and make it super heavy so as to I guess mask the fact that the riff is boring in itself) is confusing to me... it's almost as if the creative juices are running dry in DT. well let's hear the rest of the album 1st

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »
I expect TEI to be the new BMUBMD on this album. But my guess is as good as yours.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »
other than both 7 string songs, there isn't too many similarities

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
They are nothing alike, but I like Bridges in the Sky much more than The Enemy Inside.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
If Bridges was mixed like TEI, it would be one of my all time favorite songs. Bridges was killer on a live setting.

Offline userx

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »

well the riffs are pretty similar in their uncreativeness

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »

*ALERT* Somebody's posting their opinion as a fact *ALERT*

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
Those two songs are nothing alike. The only thing they have in common to my ears are fast guitar riffs. Still those riffs are pretty different. Different scales, different time signatures and feel. Also, BITS is my favorite DT tune, while TEI is in the bottom 10.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 01:37:49 PM »
I'd say The Enemy Inside is more similar to Lost Not Forgotten, but even that's mainly just sonically. Structurally, TEI is a fairly simpler song. But in terms of the actual music, and overall composition, I'd say BITS > TEI > LNF
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
I don't think the songs are anywhere near each other. Not really comparable at all. The only similarity I hear is the 7 string guitar.

Bits is much more keyboard oriented, despite the guitar opening. Whereas TEI's keys are more atmosphere than driving the song.

Drums on BitS are simple compared to TEI. The complexity isn't there to my ears.

TEI has a discernable chorus.

TEI isn't half the song BitS is.... length wise.

Both great songs, but TEI crushes BitS in almost every aspect. :metal

EDIT: This is my opinion, of course.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline userx

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »

Oh excuse me, could you please then factfully describe the creativeness of the two riffs. i try to be objective. i could have said that the riffs are a piece of s#$t but I didn't. I said that they were uncreative, which they are. a factful proof would be that there's nothing interesting in there. no developing melody, nothing memorable, just a mud of notes that "showcase technical ability" being fats-heavy-technical for its own sake. they're composed of speed+heavyness and a sprinkle of odd time signatures. Now, creative riffs would be the likes of TGP or even TDEN, you know, those you instantly want to cover on your guitar, and those you instantly recognize in concert. I'm willing to bet that in a live setting you wouldn't even be able to recognize neither BITS nor TEI w/o contextual evidence

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
No idea what version of BITS you have, but I think every single riff and melody in that song is fantastic and memorable. It's a top 20 DT song for me in general. I love TEI, but BITS is a masterpiece.

Offline userx

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
No idea what version of BITS you have, but I think every single riff and melody in that song is fantastic and memorable. It's a top 20 DT song for me in general. I love TEI, but BITS is a masterpiece.

I'm refering to the intro riffs of both songs. Although, the only thing that is memorable for me , from both songs, is the verse from TEI and chorus from BITS. everything around those parts is a musical attachment that bands do when they have no more good ideas so they reach in their stock of readymade "goodenough" basic ideas. I?m being overly cruel here and I apologize for that as obviously these are matters of personal taste but just to put my taste in context, the only 2 songs I value highly from ADTOE are BAI and TITL and little less so OTBOA
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:22:38 PM by userx »

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »

I'm refering to the intro riffs of both songs. Although, the only thing that is memorable for me , from both songs, is the verse from TEI and chorus from BITS. everything around those parts is a musical attachment that bands do when they have no more good ideas so they reach in their stock of readymade "goodenough" basic ideas. I?m being overly cruel here and I apologize for that as obviously these are matters of personal taste but just to put my taste in context, the only 2 songs I value highly from ADTOE are BAI and TITL and little less so OTBOA

This is interesting.  While you are being a little harsh, I completely see where you are coming from... 

I can't even recall the bridges in the sky riffs.  They didn't stick in my head.  But I could hum you the riffs off blind faith, home, metropolis, glass moon, lie, strange dejavu... etc.

I think their last truly creative riff was from Dark Eternal Night. 

While the TEI isn't a bad riff, I don't think it is all too creative.  I think the song as a whole entity works though.  I also think the instrumental section is the best they've done in a while.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
I can't even recall the bridges in the sky riffs.  They didn't stick in my head.  But I could hum you the riffs off blind faith, home, metropolis, glass moon, lie, strange dejavu... etc.

Funny, I remember every single riff pretty much note for note. I love the riffs in BITS.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »

YEP. 1st thought that came to mind on 1st listen was BITS. Disappointed by the lack of originality in DT lately. I mean, for smn who gives so much attention to music to go ahead and make a song like TEI wit a riff that is so underwhelming (typical of bands that do not know how to make great riffs so they speed everything up and make it super heavy so as to I guess mask the fact that the riff is boring in itself) is confusing to me... it's almost as if the creative juices are running dry in DT. well let's hear the rest of the album 1st

The thing is though, you can't really blame a band for sounding too much like themselves.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »

Funny, I remember every single riff pretty much note for note. I love the riffs in BITS.

Completely this. They are technical, memorable, heavy and overall awesome at the same time in such a perfect way :heart

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Although I really like BITS, I agree riffs are not that creative (just my opinion).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
Oh excuse me, could you please then factfully describe the creativeness of the two riffs. i try to be objective. i could have said that the riffs are a piece of s#$t but I didn't.

That kind of flame baiting is not tolerated here.  Please read the forum rules you agreed to abide by when you signed up here to avoid future rule violations.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

Oh excuse me, could you please then factfully describe the creativeness of the two riffs. i try to be objective. i could have said that the riffs are a piece of s#$t but I didn't. I said that they were uncreative, which they are. a factful proof would be that there's nothing interesting in there. no developing melody, nothing memorable, just a mud of notes that "showcase technical ability" being fats-heavy-technical for its own sake. they're composed of speed+heavyness and a sprinkle of odd time signatures. Now, creative riffs would be the likes of TGP or even TDEN, you know, those you instantly want to cover on your guitar, and those you instantly recognize in concert. I'm willing to bet that in a live setting you wouldn't even be able to recognize neither BITS nor TEI w/o contextual evidence

This is pretty uneccesary, especially from someone with only 44 posts.  IMO, I'd take both TEI and BITS riffs over all riffs in TDEN minus the outro.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

lol

Anyway the two songs really aren't similar at all so I don't know how meaningful the comparison is but I prefer Bridges.  I think they're both very good though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:35 PM »
This is pretty uneccesary, especially from someone with only 44 posts.  IMO, I'd take both TEI and BITS riffs over all riffs in TDEN minus the outro.

I'd take TDEN's riffs over TEI or anything from ADTOE. Fantastic riffage in that one.
But I think BITS and TEI both have great riffing too. Aside from being constant 16th notes, I don't think the riffs are that similar though, and I don't think either of them are generic! Both great songs, but not really comparable.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 12:52:47 AM »
The first minute of TDEN are some of the best riffs JP has ever written IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »
Even on DT's lesser songs and albums, JP's riffs and solos have always been to a high standard (not that I'm including TDEN as lesser quality here, as I love TDEN, but others consider it lesser).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline userx

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 12:58:07 AM »
@7StringedBeast - exactly what I'm talking about, word for word :)

@Elaitch - DT don't owe me anything and I can't blame them for anything but I do have the right to express my disappointment while clearly describing the reasons for that

@bosk1 - It was a bit of flame baiting now that I've slept on it (I didn't see it as such while writing but more of a overla defensive post) but I guess it was an affective reaction to a post by @Dark Castle which I saw as flame baiting. I apologize to the forum members as well as @Dark Castle

@wolfking - I already admitted being a bit harsh and I apologized for that but I did give clear reasons for my thoughts. I also admitted that this is a matter of personal taste which your post proves. However, those who do have something unflattering to say about DT music have a bit more narrow area to work with than those who have nice things to say. I also don't see what my post count has to do with anything

@theseoafs - these type of responses "lol" which a reply to a seroious post is a type of response I do not appreciate and can set a guy of. You could have done without the "lol" but ok, I guess forms are a bit like traffic - you've got to be extremely careful not to cause offense and be extremely understanding to those that do. I'll try to do better

@BlobVanDam - Yes, the 16th note part is what's bugging (but not in itself) together with no highlighted recognisable parts. 16th notes would be ok if they were arranged in a strong melody. here I feel they're not, like they're jumbled haphazardly but people obviously disagree on this part and it is a matter of taste. they are not the same riffs by any stretch but they are made from the same creative brain space. they are different but the main idea behind them is the same but this can also be a good thing if we take personal taste into account

and on a side note. I don't even put give much attention to riffs in DT music because if I want to listen the music for riffs there are bands that are better in that respect. I listen to DT for other reasons but here they've put so much importance sonically to those riffs that I just had to take note. really strong riffs were never one of DT's strenghts in my opinion but I don't mind that at all... just when they "force" those riffs down my throat, so to speak, is what I don't like and the intro riffs from TEI and BITS are those i feel that way about
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:03:38 AM by userx »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:45 AM »
really strong riffs were never one of DT's strenghts

? I think they were and still are.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 01:18:38 AM »
I agree I think DT are one of the best bands out there for writing riffs.  There are a whole ton of great riffs from them over the years.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline userx

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 01:29:36 AM »
ok, I'll be more precise. They're not that great in those "In your face" riffs that metallica or pantera are famous for (although there are some great riffs there, middle riff from TGP comes to mind) but they do have great riffs on the melodic side of things which I like and why I listen to DT

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »
Of course DT never made thrash riffs (although song like TDEN is quite thrashy) and it's not because JP can't do it but it doesn't fit style of DT.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...